Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quality wise only, is the Sims Franchise dead?

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Sadly, the game peaked with The Sims 2.

I want to have hope about the last years of TS4 and about a possible TS5 but...I know it's not realistic.

Speaking of TS5, my absolutely least favorite simguru (absolutely nothing personal, it is because of the way he sees and talks about the game which is WILDLY different from how I see it) seems to be in charge of that project if rumours are to be trusted. Not good news in my opinion.

It is also a symptom of our times, the game is too easy and shallow which reflects western society nowadays. Everything has to happen now and bring immediate satisfaction, the game is not challenging at all. The shallowness is also a reflection of our real world, pretty on the outside, empty in the inside. I know I sound like an old man yelling at clouds but I am neither old nor a man, just not very optimistic about the current state of the world.

Another point is that whatever they release, sells. They have the monopoly of proper life simulators and this is never a good thing. Without competition, there is no need for them to invest more money and effort in it. It is the only option and thus, they can be more sloppy and careless than they would with 1 or 2 competitors putting pressure on them.

Also also, the target market for the franchise has completely changed.

All that said, you wouldn't believe how much I hope I am wrong!!!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other

I want to have hope about the last years of TS4 and about a possible TS5 but...I know it's not realistic.

Speaking of TS5, my absolutely least favorite simguru (absolutely nothing personal, it is because of the way he sees and talks about the game which is WILDLY different from how I see it) seems to be in charge of that project if rumours are to be trusted. Not good news in my opinion.

It is also a symptom of our times, the game is too easy and shallow which reflects western society nowadays. Everything has to happen now and bring immediate satisfaction, the game is not challenging at all. The shallowness is also a reflection of our real world, pretty on the outside, empty in the inside. I know I sound like an old man yelling at clouds but I am neither old nor a man, just not very optimistic about the current state of the world.

Another point is that whatever they release, sells. They have the monopoly of proper life simulators and this is never a good thing. Without competition, there is no need for them to invest more money and effort in it. It is the only option and thus, they can be more sloppy and careless than they would with 1 or 2 competitors putting pressure on them.

I don't agree with this. The game has had it's peaks and misses since the first game through to it's present. It is personal to each of us what we think and not a one rule fits all through it's history. I see things I am glad I enjoyed in each of the games and am glad I got to enjoy them. I also look forward to what is to come and hope there is more to come.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2019
    No opinion
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I don't agree with this. The game has had it's peaks and misses since the first game through to it's present. It is personal to each of us what we think and not a one rule fits all through it's history. I see things I am glad I enjoyed in each of the games and am glad I got to enjoy them. No one has the right to tell me what I like or dislike and I reserve the right to disagree.

Hmmm, I see no where the OP told you what to like or what not to like and it is also her opinion and yes just like you are entitled to say your opinion she also has the same right.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes, it's over

I don't agree with this. The game has had it's peaks and misses since the first game through to it's present. It is personal to each of us what we think and not a one rule fits all through it's history. I see things I am glad I enjoyed in each of the games and am glad I got to enjoy them. No one has the right to tell me what I like or dislike and I reserve the right to disagree.

Sorry if I didn't express myself more clearly in my post. It is solely MY OPINION and by no means was I stating that it is the absolute truth, just my point of view, my experience. I don't really understand why you felt like I was telling you what to like or dislike but that was not the case, far from it. Sorry for the confussion.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Yes, it's over

Honestly it's not just you.....after some of the decisions that this person made in TS4 I fear for the next iteration if there is one.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Honestly it's not just you.....after some of the decisions that this person made in TS4 I fear for the next iteration if there is one.
    Why I cheer "Paralives Paralives" and yes competition you are welcome to come in.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Other

Sorry if I didn't express myself more clearly in my post. It is solely MY OPINION and by no means was I stating that it is the absolute truth, just my point of view, my experience. I don't really understand why you felt like I was telling you what to like or dislike but that was not the case, far from it. Sorry for the confussion.

That I very much agree with - it is a personal opinion for sure for each individual. I know in my opinion Sims 4 toddlers and Vamps are the best version I'VE ever played in a Sims game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything

That I very much agree with - it is a personal opinion for sure for each individual. I know in my opinion Sims 4 toddlers and Vamps are the best version I'VE ever played in a Sims game.
    Totally agree with this. Best witches/wizards too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Other

Thank you.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2019
    Scobre wrote: »
    Wouldn't say best, as they have their own issues. From someone I heard, they have found these to be problematic:
    - Spells, regarding usefulness, are underwhelming. Seems like the igniting, freezing, furio (infatutiate, as a counterpart, strangely barely does a thing on affecting relationship), transportale, deliciose and duplicate spells have a use. Others are obsolete (dedeathify is not that climatic when you can achieve other ways. herbio just spawns mandrake or valarian at random), just gimmicky pranks, or could have been worked on more (scuberoo and floralorial are just rewarding as cleaning/tending a single item the "normal" way).
    - With the help of duplicate, you can exploit it easily by multiplying potions to undermine their backfire easily. As well the issue of ever seeking for rare ingredients to ever create a potion once spell acquired.
    - Minionize is the vampire's equivalent of mind control. Could have made it different by perhaps recreating Genie's ability.
    - Curses are underwhelming when you cure them with a potion upon level 3. Level 3.
    - While the duplicato makes any potion perk obsolete, Mote Hound perk eliminates the need for prowness/exp ones alongside "practising magic".
    - The level Plentiful Needs potion is available at (level 1), it kinda kills the sense of progression and accomplisment)
    - Unlike vampires, it doesn't much take time to progress and you can't really give much differianting personality with the life state's systematic.

With spells, I'd say TS2 are better despite the annoyance at grinding.

Though while spells are not that great, I do think with certain aspects it beats previous attempts/games at witchcraft be worst. Such as inability to choose wand/hand magic without progression, the grind for reagents and no backfires (Apartment Life downside), larger variation of brooms, not-group cauldron, tame dueling (though wish for the kind one from Makin Magic but with more choices).
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    Scobre wrote: »
    Wouldn't say best, as they have their own issues. From someone I heard, they have found these to be problematic:
    - Spells, regarding usefulness, are underwhelming. Seems like the igniting, freezing, furio (infatutiate, as a counterpart, strangely barely does a thing on affecting relationship), transportale, deliciose and duplicate spells have a use. Others are obsolete (dedeathify is not that climatic when you can achieve other ways. herbio just spawns mandrake or valarian at random), just gimmicky pranks, or could have been worked on more (scuberoo and floralorial are just rewarding as cleaning/tending a single item the "normal" way).
    - With the help of duplicate, you can exploit it easily by multiplying potions to undermine their backfire easily. As well the issue of ever seeking for rare ingredients to ever create a potion once spell acquired.
    - Minionize is the vampire's equivalent of mind control. Could have made it different by perhaps recreating Genie's ability.
    - Curses are underwhelming when you cure them with a potion upon level 3. Level 3.
    - While the duplicato makes any potion perk obsolete, Mote Hound perk eliminates the need for prowness/exp ones alongside "practising magic".
    - The level Plentiful Needs potion is available at (level 1), it kinda kills the sense of progression and accomplisment)
    - Unlike vampires, it doesn't much take time to progress and you can't really give much differianting personality with the life state's systematic.

With spells, I'd say TS2 are better despite the annoyance at grinding.

Though while spells are not that great, I do think with certain aspects it beats previous attempts/games at witchcraft be worst. Such as inability to choose wand/hand magic without progression, the grind for reagents and no backfires (Apartment Life downside), larger variation of brooms, not-group cauldron, tame dueling (though wish for the kind one from Makin Magic but with more choices).
    Ah makes sense. Thanks for sharing. I did try to kill a Sim setting them on fire.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, it's over
    I don't have any hope for the Sims franchise after the Sims 4 because they don't get the market player base has changed in simulation games and if they don't get a people simulator up in the same standing as Farming Simulator 2019, PC building Simulator, and Cooking Simulator, its possible a indie game could do the same thing to the Sims 5 that they did to Sim City 5. I challenge Maxis to kill the idea of depending on new incoming gamers and up your game against the indie threat or you will eventually loose out. That is how the simulation community used to be, not now there are many simulation games and they are all optimized for the high end cards not the low end. If Sims 5 is gonna be another Sims 4 where I have to pay for every lot than I am off to paralives.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Other

I agree with that. Sims 2 had its great aspects, but for me it’s not the peak of the franchise because I value other aspects in the game than Sims 2’s. Disregarding that is a bit condescending, even when many seem to agree (also because many grew up with Sims 2 I think). Why not highlight all aspects important in this franchise and go from there, instead of this “the franchise peaked there and there” rhetoric, disregarding simmers with other opinions about that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Other
    I've chosen 'Other' since the poll was geared more towards those who are dissatisfied rather than a general, balanced viewpoint.

I don't think the quality is dropping, personally. I actually think this is the better of the games in terms of gameplay. I realise that's a minority opinion on these forums but I'm playing the game for longer without issues for a start but most of all, I'm enjoying playing the game more than I ever have before. The innovations that have been introduced have added so much more for my gameplay than in previous generations.

As an example, yes the dive lots from IP were stunning, gorgeous and incredibly innovative but I'm also glad the developers didn't go down that route for Island Living. I personally think the focus on conservation and living in that environment was a very different viewpoint and a welcome change. Not only does your sim live on the islands but they look after them too, which is a new idea. Having the sims clean up their act and it actually makes a visual difference to the island - it's not been done in the Sims franchise before.

So on the subject of innovation, it depends what you call innovative in your own mind. If you look at the details, there are a good number of things in this franchise that are different. I think maybe that's what a lot of folks have struggled with - it's different. It's not just a rehash of previous generations. It has brought in new ideas and opportunities for story-telling. Just because those ideas haven't pleased everybody, doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just isn't to everyone's individual taste. I love it exactly as it is and I'm looking forward to the packs to come over the next three years - but then I'm not expecting anything. I'm going in with a completely open mind and enjoying what the game has available to me for my gameplay style and what it has to offer in the future.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    Other
    If only it were an unpopular opinion on these forums only. Living in the island environment isn’t new at all by the way, I just spent an entire generation living in Isla Paradiso, living the island life. The fact something hasn’t been done before doesn’t make it good as such.

(starting 8:40)

Quality dropped allright. Not just compared to predecessor versions, but also compared to previous packs.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Other
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Not only does your sim live on the islands but they look after them too, which is a new idea. Having the sims clean up their act and it actually makes a visual difference to the island - it's not been done in the Sims franchise before.

I said living on the island and looking after it was new. I'm aware you can live the island life in Island Paradise - I've done it myself numerous times before.

Like I said, it's only my opinion and I'm aware it's not popular on social media, forums etc. However it doesn't make me completely wrong.
    edited October 2019
    Other
    Not only does your sim live on the islands but they look after them too, which is a new idea. Having the sims clean up their act and it actually makes a visual difference to the island - it's not been done in the Sims franchise before.

I said living on the island and looking after it was new. I'm aware you can live the island life in Island Paradise - I've done it myself numerous times before.

Like I said, it's only my opinion and I'm aware it's not popular on social media, forums etc. However it doesn't make me completely wrong.
    Indeed, that detail is new. But new clearly doesn’t guarantee quality. By adding the opinion isn’t polular specifically here (which is a frequently used argument), there’s a suggestion this small minority of complainers is wrong. That’s why I shared the fact criticism has a much broader support than that. Does that matter? Yes it does.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Other
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But new clearly doesn’t guarantee quality.
    Why clearly? I'm sorry but that's implying a universal fact, again. Myself and others don't share that opinion.
    What I'm getting at here is the opinions that the game is bad, terrible and poor quality is being presented as fact. It's giving the impression that those of us who don't agree should get off the forums because we're sub-human or something. I know the game isn't everyone's cup of tea but we're allowed to disagree with each other's opinions without being told, not in so many words, that we're wrong.

My opinion might not align with yours, or many others. It doesn't mean this is a bad game. It just isn't what you were expecting, nor is it your cup of tea. Which is fine, the endless violent games are mind-numbing and senseless to me but I don't tell people they're wrong to like them. I wish companies would stop producing them but they're popular, so they're here to stay. It would be wrong of me to start telling everyone who played them that they're wrong, or the companies are manipulating them into buying them and therefore I don't do it.

What I'm saying here is that what is 'clearly' lacking to other people isn't to some us. Nobody's right or wrong - just entitled to their individual, personal opinion. The poll was biased in favour of those who despise the game and have hated it from release date. The rest of us are allowed to like the game though and we're allowed to say so without having 'statements' stuffed in our faces.
    edited October 2019
    Other
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But new clearly doesn’t guarantee quality.
    Why clearly? I'm sorry but that's implying a universal fact, again. Myself and others don't share that opinion.
    What I'm getting at here is the opinions that the game is bad, terrible and poor quality is being presented as fact. It's giving the impression that those of us who don't agree should get off the forums because we're sub-human or something. I know the game isn't everyone's cup of tea but we're allowed to disagree with each other's opinions without being told, not in so many words, that we're wrong.

My opinion might not align with yours, or many others. It doesn't mean this is a bad game. It just isn't what you were expecting, nor is it your cup of tea. Which is fine, the endless violent games are mind-numbing and senseless to me but I don't tell people they're wrong to like them. I wish companies would stop producing them but they're popular, so they're here to stay. It would be wrong of me to start telling everyone who played them that they're wrong, or the companies are manipulating them into buying them and therefore I don't do it.

What I'm saying here is that what is 'clearly' lacking to other people isn't to some us. Nobody's right or wrong - just entitled to their individual, personal opinion. The poll was biased in favour of those who despise the game and have hated it from release date. The rest of us are allowed to like the game though and we're allowed to say so without having 'statements' stuffed in our faces.

Don't let what some people say about the game get you down - seeing many, many people feel like you do as well and love the game. I am one of the vets of the game that even tested the original game for Will Wright in 1999 who created the game - I love it and play almost every day - I never get tired or bore playing it. You have as much right to enjoy the game as anybody.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Other
    Don't let what some people say about the game get you down - seeing many, many people feel like you do as well and love the game. I am one of the vets of the game that even tested the original game for Will Wright in 1999 who created the game - I love it and play almost every day - I never get tired or bore playing it. You have as much right to enjoy the game as anybody.

I had no idea you'd been playing that long! :o That's amazing. I've played 2, 3 and 4 and love each one on their individual merits and still play all three, although I'm playing Sims 4 a lot more at the moment because it's holding my interest more.
    Thank you. :) I just resent opinions being expressed as facts when they're not. It doesn't seem fair to those who do enjoy the game to be shouted and told they're wrong. None of us are wrong - just individual.
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    Other
    I'm having more fun with my game lately than ever and although I, too, have played since the original Sims, I still find things in the game that are completely new to me lol and I've never played with before. I used to be very rigid in my gameplay, but am now being more adventurous and really enjoying it all. I feel sorry for the people that are not satisfied, they should feel free to stop playing and try another game :)
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
    edited October 2019
    Thanks everyone for your active participation!

However, I feel that some of you kind of missed the point of the whole thread and concluded that just because people criticize the Sims 4, we plain hate it. I don’t agree. Being critical of the game doesn’t mean we don’t like the game! It’s a bit crazy to think that liking something means bypassing all its flaws. And actually quite dangerous. I personally have more than 1500 hours on the Sims 4 on Origins. I play the game almost daily. I have lots of fun with it. I can’t even go back to the Sims 3 that looks and feels too old now. I tried but the graphics and lagging made my eyes bleed.

I truly like the Sims 4.

But it’s not because I like the game that I can’t see what happened with the franchise. And the truth is that EA/Maxis have become lazy with the Sims. They’re not even trying anymore. Modders do a better job than the developers and add elements that should have been included in the game (home retail, daycare, ability to walk dogs in all worlds, improved spells, improved personalities, features from packs applied to the whole game…) The Sims only is EA’s cashcow to finance other (mostly male oriented) games and it shows. They don’t even care about pretending it’s not anymore and if you compare the attention to details that we had in the Sims 2 and even the Sims 3 to what happened to the Sims 4, it’s obvious.

So I’m genuinely having a hard time believing that some players don’t see anything wrong with quality and even go as far as to say that The Sims 4 is the best iteration of the franchise!

All 4 games had their pros and cons:
    • The Sims was very innovative but characters didn’t evolve
    • The Sims 2 was very, very deep gameplay wise, had lots of details, full expansion packs but it was a closed world, character creation wasn’t very wide and the sims looked terrible without CC (and outside lots looked pixelated which I absolutely hated)
    • The Sims 3 had open world, the color wheel, lots of traits, deep gameplay, endless story possibilities but the sims in themselves were ugly as sin, the textures just downright awful and the game was unplayable without mods due to its poor optimisation
    • The Sims 4 runs smoothly, the graphics are very good, sims look great, textures and CAS are awesome (the best of the series) but all of this was made to the detriment of content and gameplay (except for a few elements like vampires and toddlers which are the best of the franchise)

The common point between Sims 1, 2 and 3 was innovation. The three games brought something new and each installment was an upgrade of the older one:
    • Sims 1 was the first of its genre
    • Sims 2 brought aging and individuality
    • Sims 3 brought open world and customisation
    What did the Sims 4 bring? What was its innovation? Honestly? Emotions? This was just a marketing campaign. The Sims 4 was supposed to be a MMO, let’s not forget it so they had to find something to sell it. Sims have had emotions since the Sims 2 and better expressed with better personalities. In Sims 4, emotions are nothing more than colorful moodlets. If a sim dies next to your sim, they won’t have any reaction. Multitasking? It could, but it’s broken and more of an annoyance than an actual innovation. So really, gameplay wise, what did the Sims 4 bring? What will it be remembered for? Better graphics? A good CAS? That’s pretty lame for a life simulation. The Sims is a game, not a demo for a 3D animation tool. We don’t buy the game to just look at it.

Most of the issues reported with the Sims 3, for example, were technical. They didn’t concern gameplay which is the main problem reported by players for the Sims 4. Technically, the Sims 4 works but the array of gameplay is vastly inferior to what was available in previous iterations. And that’s what people have been so loudly complaining about for the past five years. The game looks good, runs well, but the attention poured into it regarding gameplay, content and animation is extremely poor.
    • expansion packs have zero influence on the overall gameplay for most of them. The new features are restricted to their zone only (walking dogs in Brindelton Bay, swimming in Sulani, sick sims can’t go to the hospital). There is no impact.
    • family ties are non existent past grand-parents and I’m even sure you don’t have cousins or aunts/uncles either
    • no open world in 2019!
    • DLC for basically everything (hot tubs!!!!!)
    • creativity is very limited
    • no continuity in gameplay when you switch between sims on lots (I love having my parent sim go home after a party at 1AM only to find the children up and above and doing absolute nonsense! Totally breaks immersion for me and I have to pretend that the sims were already sleeping when I loaded back the lot… Super fun...)
    • very few hobbies (I want pottery and toy making back!!!!! And Sims with actual personality and preferences)
    • teens can’t even hangout in parks like they did in the Sims 3 and have nothing to do apart from playing games on their computer
    • no picnic
    • no strollers
    • babies are objects
    • toddlers don’t even have a changing table (Sims 3 didn’t either and this was already a huge backlash among the family players at the time)
    • gardening fresh products is useless for cooking
    • no attraction system
    • no cars
    • no small pets in the Pet expansion
    • RoM was packed with unfinished lots and unfinished sages
    • mermaids are a joke
    • no underwater lots
    • active careers are broken
    • animations are not as detailed as they used to (I’m mostly thinking of the Sims 2 here with the dressers and the cars and the fact that we could buy new clothes and groceries in the base game!)

And the list goes on and on and on… And some of you don’t think that quality has gone down the road compared to what made the Sims in the past?! How is it even possible? I’m not judging or anything, I just don’t understand. I love the Sims 4. I do. But I can’t close my eyes on all those missing/half baked elements. They just show that there is no attention to details brought to the game anymore. The Sims 4 is not a game made by people who love it. It’s made by people who just want to sell it for minimum effort. And seeing how some of you don’t see anything wrong with any of this, why would they care? As it goes, Sims 5 will be a free to play MMO with clothes and houses unlocked when we buy coins with actual money!

Again, you can love the game and have fun with it. But you can't say that quality hasn't changed compared to previous iterations!
    Other
    For me it's possible because I'm enjoying it for what it is, not what I think it should be. I'm not comparing to the previous generations because I want it to be different from the previous iterations.
    To help out, I'll highlight a few of the points you made and why I don't see it the way you do. This isn't meant to undermine what you said, just clarifying what I see in the game.

expansion packs have zero influence on the overall gameplay for most of them. The new features are restricted to their zone only ~ I actually don't mind this bit in the least. The swimming in Sulani makes sense to me - I wouldn't want my sims swimming in the other neighbourhoods, to be really honest. It wouldn't make sense to me.

no open world in 2019! ~ Actually, for me it's a plus. The open world element was laggy for a lot of people and meant community lots were all but dead. I find the semi-open world to be a perfect compromise because I can still watch my sim walk his dog or go jogging but the game isn't trying to generate activities for the rest of the town. For the way I play and what I want out of the game, this is perfect. <3

DLC for basically everything (hot tubs!!!!!) ~ I personally found the Sims 3 Store to be the biggest pain so the system of Expansions packs, Games packs and Stuff packs is better, in my opinion. (Hot tubs were in Late Night in Sims 3, so no difference there).

creativity is very limited ~ For me, definitely not. I'm able to create more diverse sims and intricate lots than I could in previous generations. If it's creativity of gameplay you're referring to, again I don't see it. Personally, my sims are showing more personality in this generation than they ever did before.

very few hobbies (I want pottery and toy making back!!!!! And Sims with actual personality and preferences) ~ I'd love to see pottery and toy making back too, I love those in TS2 <3 However, I generally use the skills has hobbies anyway which for me is adding to the personalities. So this is working very well for me, in fact better than the hobby system of Sims 2. At least I can choose what hobbies my sims develop without needing a mod to change it.

no attraction system ~ While I totally agree, this would be cool, it's not essential for me personally, since I do this myself and base it around traits and hobbies. So I kind of prefer it if the game doesn't make this decision for me :D

no cars ~ This is funny because I actually couldn't give a toss. I found the travelling by car and enormous waste of time in both TS2 and TS3 (it sometimes took up to a whole sim-hour for the household to go out anywhere. Really fun).

no small pets in the Pet expansion ~ I never realised people even played with these much in TS3? I never noticed, to be really honest so the uproar about this one has baffled me a bit.

RoM was packed with unfinished lots and unfinished sages ~ Sages were unfinished? They work as intended for me, so maybe I'm missing something they are *supposed* to do?

mermaids are a joke ~ I don't work with them much admittedly but I don't know what else was being expected mermaids to do, here?

no underwater lots ~ An interesting one, this. Now don't get me wrong, the dive lots are by far one of my favourite elements in Sims 3. However, they were buggy for a lot of people and to be really honest, what else could you do with them once you'd opened every treasure chest? So the decision not to include them in Island Living didn't bother me at all. I agree, they look gorgeous in Sims 3 but that's mostly it.

active careers are broken ~ Can I ask how? Because they're working just fine for me?

Again, no criticism against those who are unhappy with the game. We've all got different opinions and different viewpoints and we won't all agree because some things that are game-breaking for some really aren't for others.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2019
    Other
    Thanks everyone for your active participation!

However, I feel that some of you kind of missed the point of the whole thread and concluded that just because people criticize the Sims 4, we plain hate it. I don’t agree. Being critical of the game doesn’t mean we don’t like the game! It’s a bit crazy to think that liking something means bypassing all its flaws. And actually quite dangerous. I personally have more than 1500 hours on the Sims 4 on Origins. I play the game almost daily. I have lots of fun with it. I can’t even go back to the Sims 3 that looks and feels too old now. I tried but the graphics and lagging made my eyes bleed.

I truly like the Sims 4.

But it’s not because I like the game that I can’t see what happened with the franchise. And the truth is that EA/Maxis have become lazy with the Sims. They’re not even trying anymore. Modders do a better job than the developers and add elements that should have been included in the game (home retail, daycare, ability to walk dogs in all worlds, improved spells, improved personalities, features from packs applied to the whole game…) The Sims only is EA’s cashcow to finance other (mostly male oriented) games and it shows. They don’t even care about pretending it’s not anymore and if you compare the attention to details that we had in the Sims 2 and even the Sims 3 to what happened to the Sims 4, it’s obvious.

So I’m genuinely having a hard time believing that some players don’t see anything wrong with quality and even go as far as to say that The Sims 4 is the best iteration of the franchise!

All 4 games had their pros and cons:
    • The Sims was very innovative but characters didn’t evolve
    • The Sims 2 was very, very deep gameplay wise, had lots of details, full expansion packs but it was a closed world, character creation wasn’t very wide and the sims looked terrible without CC (and outside lots looked pixelated which I absolutely hated)
    • The Sims 3 had open world, the color wheel, lots of traits, deep gameplay, endless story possibilities but the sims in themselves were ugly as sin, the textures just downright awful and the game was unplayable without mods due to its poor optimisation
    • The Sims 4 runs smoothly, the graphics are very good, sims look great, textures and CAS are awesome (the best of the series) but all of this was made to the detriment of content and gameplay (except for a few elements like vampires and toddlers which are the best of the franchise)

The common point between Sims 1, 2 and 3 was innovation. The three games brought something new and each installment was an upgrade of the older one:
    • Sims 1 was the first of its genre
    • Sims 2 brought aging and individuality
    • Sims 3 brought open world and customisation
    What did the Sims 4 bring? What was its innovation? Honestly? Emotions? This was just a marketing campaign. The Sims 4 was supposed to be a MMO, let’s not forget it so they had to find something to sell it. Sims have had emotions since the Sims 2 and better expressed with better personalities. In Sims 4, emotions are nothing more than colorful moodlets. If a sim dies next to your sim, they won’t have any reaction. Multitasking? It could, but it’s broken and more of an annoyance than an actual innovation. So really, gameplay wise, what did the Sims 4 bring? What will it be remembered for? Better graphics? A good CAS? That’s pretty lame for a life simulation. The Sims is a game, not a demo for a 3D animation tool. We don’t buy the game to just look at it.

Most of the issues reported with the Sims 3, for example, were technical. They didn’t concern gameplay which is the main problem reported by players for the Sims 4. Technically, the Sims 4 works but the array of gameplay is vastly inferior to what was available in previous iterations. And that’s what people have been so loudly complaining about for the past five years. The game looks good, runs well, but the attention poured into it regarding gameplay, content and animation is extremely poor.
    • expansion packs have zero influence on the overall gameplay for most of them. The new features are restricted to their zone only (walking dogs in Brindelton Bay, swimming in Sulani, sick sims can’t go to the hospital). There is no impact.
    • family ties are non existent past grand-parents and I’m even sure you don’t have cousins or aunts/uncles either
    • no open world in 2019!
    • DLC for basically everything (hot tubs!!!!!)
    • creativity is very limited
    • no continuity in gameplay when you switch between sims on lots (I love having my parent sim go home after a party at 1AM only to find the children up and above and doing absolute nonsense! Totally breaks immersion for me and I have to pretend that the sims were already sleeping when I loaded back the lot… Super fun...)
    • very few hobbies (I want pottery and toy making back!!!!! And Sims with actual personality and preferences)
    • teens can’t even hangout in parks like they did in the Sims 3 and have nothing to do apart from playing games on their computer
    • no picnic
    • no strollers
    • babies are objects
    • toddlers don’t even have a changing table (Sims 3 didn’t either and this was already a huge backlash among the family players at the time)
    • gardening fresh products is useless for cooking
    • no attraction system
    • no cars
    • no small pets in the Pet expansion
    • RoM was packed with unfinished lots and unfinished sages
    • mermaids are a joke
    • no underwater lots
    • active careers are broken
    • animations are not as detailed as they used to (I’m mostly thinking of the Sims 2 here with the dressers and the cars and the fact that we could buy new clothes and groceries in the base game!)

And the list goes on and on and on… And some of you don’t think that quality has gone down the road compared to what made the Sims in the past?! How is it even possible? I’m not judging or anything, I just don’t understand. I love the Sims 4. I do. But I can’t close my eyes on all those missing/half baked elements. They just show that there is no attention to details brought to the game anymore. The Sims 4 is not a game made by people who love it. It’s made by people who just want to sell it for minimum effort. And seeing how some of you don’t see anything wrong with any of this, why would they care? As it goes, Sims 5 will be a free to play MMO with clothes and houses unlocked when we buy coins with actual money!

Again, you can love the game and have fun with it. But you can't say that quality hasn't changed compared to previous iterations!

I agree with all of this. I've felt since the beginning that for being a "4" in a series it sure took a lot away. I understand why they had to do some of it, (colour wheels and open world) and for the most part, I don't miss those aspects to be fair (and I really thought I would).

You would expect though, that each iteration would build upon it's past. This one just didn't do it. It regressed, plain and simple. It has had so many missed opportunities and you see it with what the modders create. They can do for free what TS4 should have done since we paid for it? That's pretty flawed IMO.

You can like it for what it is, (and I actually do like it) but it doesn't feel like a 4th to me. The quality has also gone down hill and that's disappointing. (Releasing ROM with key features actually broken and unplayable from the start, features they ADVERTISED as part of the game, and yeah, I consider a Guru answering a twitter question as advertising).

I still don't think it's dead. It's disappointing for sure, but for all those people that did miss the point, whatever I don't buy, there is probably 3-4x's more of them so it won't die. They will always have sales. We are here because we are upset and love our old games and want this to be better, but truth is, those that are happiest are off spending their money, playing their game and not here.

Even if they aren't happy... how many buy packs then play for 5 minutes and "oh well" and done. They don't care, their parents bought it, or some just don't care so they won't be coming here to voice any concern. We live in a consumption age, it's obviously with the questions about "the next pack" 2-3 days after release after the last. A lot of people simply don't care as long as they are entertained for 5 minutes then they want the next thing. Because of these last 2 factors, I don't think the franchise is dead.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
    edited October 2019
    For me it's possible because I'm enjoying it for what it is, not what I think it should be. I'm not comparing to the previous generations because I want it to be different from the previous iterations.
    To help out, I'll highlight a few of the points you made and why I don't see it the way you do. This isn't meant to undermine what you said, just clarifying what I see in the game.

expansion packs have zero influence on the overall gameplay for most of them. The new features are restricted to their zone only ~ I actually don't mind this bit in the least. The swimming in Sulani makes sense to me - I wouldn't want my sims swimming in the other neighbourhoods, to be really honest. It wouldn't make sense to me.

no open world in 2019! ~ Actually, for me it's a plus. The open world element was laggy for a lot of people and meant community lots were all but dead. I find the semi-open world to be a perfect compromise because I can still watch my sim walk his dog or go jogging but the game isn't trying to generate activities for the rest of the town. For the way I play and what I want out of the game, this is perfect. <3

DLC for basically everything (hot tubs!!!!!) ~ I personally found the Sims 3 Store to be the biggest pain so the system of Expansions packs, Games packs and Stuff packs is better, in my opinion. (Hot tubs were in Late Night in Sims 3, so no difference there).

creativity is very limited ~ For me, definitely not. I'm able to create more diverse sims and intricate lots than I could in previous generations. If it's creativity of gameplay you're referring to, again I don't see it. Personally, my sims are showing more personality in this generation than they ever did before.

very few hobbies (I want pottery and toy making back!!!!! And Sims with actual personality and preferences) ~ I'd love to see pottery and toy making back too, I love those in TS2 <3 However, I generally use the skills has hobbies anyway which for me is adding to the personalities. So this is working very well for me, in fact better than the hobby system of Sims 2. At least I can choose what hobbies my sims develop without needing a mod to change it.

no attraction system ~ While I totally agree, this would be cool, it's not essential for me personally, since I do this myself and base it around traits and hobbies. So I kind of prefer it if the game doesn't make this decision for me :D

no cars ~ This is funny because I actually couldn't give a toss. I found the travelling by car and enormous waste of time in both TS2 and TS3 (it sometimes took up to a whole sim-hour for the household to go out anywhere. Really fun).

no small pets in the Pet expansion ~ I never realised people even played with these much in TS3? I never noticed, to be really honest so the uproar about this one has baffled me a bit.

RoM was packed with unfinished lots and unfinished sages ~ Sages were unfinished? They work as intended for me, so maybe I'm missing something they are *supposed* to do?

mermaids are a joke ~ I don't work with them much admittedly but I don't know what else was being expected mermaids to do, here?

no underwater lots ~ An interesting one, this. Now don't get me wrong, the dive lots are by far one of my favourite elements in Sims 3. However, they were buggy for a lot of people and to be really honest, what else could you do with them once you'd opened every treasure chest? So the decision not to include them in Island Living didn't bother me at all. I agree, they look gorgeous in Sims 3 but that's mostly it.

active careers are broken ~ Can I ask how? Because they're working just fine for me?

Again, no criticism against those who are unhappy with the game. We've all got different opinions and different viewpoints and we won't all agree because some things that are game-breaking for some really aren't for others.

The argument that because it was buggy in the iteration it existed we plain remove it actually serves EA and their minimum effort policy and I will never agree with this. When something doesn't work, we don't give it up. We do what it takes to improve it and eventually make it work.

Open world was buggy in the Sims 3 because it was poorly executed. Instead of removing that feature from the Sims 4, they should have made it their priority to work on it and make it function properly. Most games are open world nowadays and they work! So the buggyness was a shallow excuse. Same for underwater lots. Correctly programmed, they wouldn't have been so laggy and bug friendly. But again, instead of working on it to improve it they gave the feature up. That's lazyness at best.

As for the active careers, NPCs are useless. Hospitals don't work. Patients are not treated. Other sims don't evolute in their career. They're just here for show without any IA injected into them. Same for the science career and the police station.

The sages do their "sage work" yes, but they look absolutely terrible. Nothing like the trailer. The sage of the practical magic looks like a hobo. They have zero charisma, zero care put to their appearance. To me, that is unfinished.

And I want swimming in other worlds. I want my sims to be able to swim in Brindeldon Bay. The beach looks cute and is useless. I want my sims to take a dive in the lake in Granite Falls while on vacation. Restricting it to Sulani is a complete waste of use of the other worlds.