The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was Open world really that bad?? Could it be made to work?

SIMS 3 / SIMS 4 - MAP & LAG COMPARISON

I see a lot of comments around TS3 having lagging & performance issues because of the open world. Whilst I can identify with some of these complaints such as community lots often being empty; the Sims 3 game mostly ran completely fine for me on my laptop which was around 10 years old. Travelling between lots could take time but for me that sacrifice was definitely worth it for the Open World aspect.

I understand the The Sims 4 is not going to be an open world at this point but I’m just curious, I fully appreciate TS4 looks amazing, so much better visually but I actually experience a lot more lag and performance issues with this game than I ever did with TS3 due to the ‘multitasking feature’ of TS4. Does anyone else find this or am I alone?
My laptop is new and fairly decent, I don’t use mods yet I find that my Sims just freeze constantly (not the game Itself) like my Sims take forever to switch between tasks or complete them because they’re too focused trying to do multiple things at once.

If it’s a trade-off between themes and performance; I’d definitely prefer open world instead of multitasking. I’m really curious about this open world decision by EA but am not very computer/ technically savvy. Could someone maybe explain in what ways it affects the game please?

What do you guys think about the open world trade-off? It’s a shame they couldn’t have met somewhere in the middle and allowed larger neighbourhoods which were open and then used loading screens to travel outside of your neighbourhood. It’s a tricky One... 🤷🏽‍♂️

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    I'm not sure why you are experiencing lag in the sims4, I think the sims4 has some problems with freeing up memory in general so maybe that's the issue.

When it comes to open world, I am by no means an expert, but it basically comes down to freeing memory so the game can load other assets. When you load an area in the sims4, the game loads all textures, assets etc. if you have an open world like in the sims3, then the game needs to free assets when you are not in that area. That's why you are noticing textures loading and lagging if you switch from one sim in one place to another sim in another place. That's because the game needs to load those assets again.

GTA5 is a good example on how it works, that game only loads what the player sees around them. So when you switch to another character, the camera zooms out so it can load the assets around the character that you switched to, before zooming in again.

I think it could be possible to have open world in a sims game without lag, but that will require some good programming. The game needs to be good at freeing memory and loading assets without affecting game performance too much.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I did not think open world was bad at all - the lag was mainly routing issues in Sims 3 that could be fixed. I fixed all my worlds in Sims 3 to eliminate that lag but it did take a lot of time and fixing especially if you moved a house or worse if you placed a lot - it often broke the routing so you had to know how to find the breaks in the routing and how to fix it. Especially seeing Maxis worlds could not be put in CAW so it was a lot harder to fix. You had to have CAW files to alter a world and Maxis did not share those files with the exception of the base game world. CAW was also not very user friendly so for most of us it was a big learning experience to learn to work with it and not create worse problems than we already had.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't recall an issue with lag in live mode. For me it was build mode that became practically unusable toward the end when I started adding a bunch of custom swatches. In addition the time it took to actually load the game became unbearable.
    Edit: Oh...and there was also the fact that if I failed to save my game every 20 minutes or so I would get a memory error making saving impossible. This is what caused me to ultimately quit.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2019
    I liked the idea of an open world. Sadly I couldn't play the game long enough to enjoy it. The performance of the Sims 3 was abysmal even on a new PC that I bought specially for it. I really didn't like that venues were mostly all rabbit holes either. I like to play with my sims not wait outside venues for them to be done.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I prefer the open world, but I also think EA solved it well in TS4, kinda giving us small open worlds that works as long as you just want top go for a walk and not visit specific lots. The common area is often crowded, and with bbq areas, fishing spots and food stalls, my sims often enjoy the common area. It could have been a tad larger, or more diverse, and it would probably not break any computer if all lots within a hood was accessible without loading, as there are rather few lots per hood. But I can live with it as is. Biggest complain is that I don't get any lot info by clicking a lot in active mode, only that I can travel there. Name of household would actually be useful some times when visiting a hood where my sims are not that often.

My ts3 lagged a lot in the end, but I played a many years old save with tons of graves that I didn't delete even if there were no relatives. So, there must have been way too many sims in my ts3 game, and too much memories etc to store. When starting a new game I think it was running much smoother, even if my computer was not top notch.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    There were definitely issues with the open world in 3, especially if you had a lower end PC, but I did love being able to send my sims to different venues & still be able to follow them all, or see what's happening at the park or the gym while my sims were at work or doing menial tasks. I think an open world could work again, if the town was cut up into smaller neighborhoods, like they have in 4.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I'm getting performance drops even with my pc on TS4, sometimes i get tearing on the screen, othertimes it stutters a little. My computer can run TS4 two times over quite easily and GTA 5 with plenty to spare, so it isn't an issue of hardware and my software is more or less up to date. It might be assets loading and unloading but it could also be a lack of overall polish to the product in the form of optimising the games graphics, like they got most of the way and decided to release it like that and then move on entirely to other tasks.

i don't really know if there is truth to that or not.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think a fully open world (as in TS3) is really hard on memory due to how much needs to be active at the same time. So while the idea is awesome, the execution tends to be really rough on the machines the game is running on.

I think having a semi-open world would work though:
    The worlds could still be as they are, with Sims being able to travel between them (via loading screens) and show up as they do now. The same with the travel and movement between neighborhoods within one world. But the neighborhoods themselves, I think, could be open - no loading screens between, say, the three houses in the Pinnacles in Del Sol Valley or the houses around the Goth one. And smaller worlds like Glimmerbrook or Selvadorada could be fully open.

@Simmerville I agree about the info on neighborhood lots. It's even strange that sometimes you have the option to move in a household from the library, despite the fact that a family is already living on that lot.

@AlexSimmerman The simulation lag is unfortunately unconnected to the memory issues that would possibly cause a lag and problems with the open world. It's a bug within the code that seems to come and go and can happen even in small lots and households.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2019
    In all honesty I do not think open world was bad at all from my perspective and you will get various opinions from different players. I rather enjoyed it and felt it was the next level of evolution for the Sim series but all in in all how it is received for me is how well it is maintained and looking at the track record on how well EA/Maxis takes care of its bugs it was very poor as for me as I feel it still the same for Sims 4. I am not going to lie but I did experience some problems with the program and it is not due to my systems which was if anything was above requirements. if anything it was due to EA/Maxis programming which was beyond the end user control.

EA/Maxis decides to cut everything as if starting from scratch for various reasons such as use of properties from an project that was cancelled. The program was the last program that could scale up or down to what the end user was using and Imho it was EA/Maxis handling and also some users trying to use an program beyond what it was not built to do. The way I come to this conclusion and I was fortuate to have over 4 systems with variuos configurations that I played Sims 3 off and I would get various levels of gameplay but not the problems most players was complaining about with the expection again from problems on the developer side such as the lag in China, the release of an erronous patch released prior to Ambition release, and IP which was all EA/Maxis problem and could be solved by modders and was not properly resolved by EA/Maxis but all in all even with these problems I was able to play. Sims 4 is what it is due to poor handling of it's own program.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    ldmarko wrote: »
    There were definitely issues with the open world in 3, especially if you had a lower end PC, but I did love being able to send my sims to different venues & still be able to follow them all, or see what's happening at the park or the gym while my sims were at work or doing menial tasks. I think an open world could work again, if the town was cut up into smaller neighborhoods, like they have in 4.

An open world would work with no issue in 64 bit. It was the 32 bit it was a problem.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Even if it worked and didn't cause performance problems and all that, it still was full rabbit holes (not just with careers but stores, etc...unless you bought a spell DLC or whatever it's called at the store. Sure they had a grocery store; but it is a rabbit hole unlike Sims 2. Probably because open world takes a lot to run it) and lots were always empty and sims are always getting stuck. I just didn't care for it. When you do had loading screens to go on vacation or University, it is a nightmare.

I tried in on other computers and Sims 3 still had problems. They aren't bad computers either.
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    What I mainly disliked about the open world was that you were confined to that world. You couldn't just pop over to Sunset Valley if you lived in Riverview whenever you felt like it. And yes, it was laggy. Even now, playing it on a gaming computer, it still doesn't run smoothly. The loading screens were a nightmare too. I remember that I used to always have a book or something next to the computer whenever I was playing the sims 3 back in the day, because I needed something to if I had to go through a loading screen and be stuck there for like 10 min.

For sims 5, I'd love it if they could open up the neighbourhoods, but keep the worlds closed. If I have to go with one though, I very much prefer sims 4 worlds. The loadingscreens don't bother me, as they're always less than a minute for me.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited October 2019
    Open world is obviously the ideal, given a capable development team with a committed publisher behind them.

So they should probably avoid it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Honestly it is designed better in other games like Guild Wars 2 and the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I can't think of any EA games in which open world was designed well.

A number of games on this list use procedural generated worlds which I do play and enjoy quite a lot:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_procedural_generation

Spore was the last procedural generated game Maxis made. Personally I much rather have a procedural generated world for the Sims than open world because in comparison procedural generated worlds are limitless while open worlds have their limits and performance on computers is much more solid on procedural generated worlds.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited October 2019
    So_Money wrote: »
    Open world is obviously the ideal, given a capable development team with a committed publisher behind them.

I can't imagine any development team would be incapable of building such a feat, but Maxis is a division of EA, so there is no distinction between them. It would be great if EA didn't rush it all out on a deadline though, show some committment to their work and their customers every so often.

I can't see it coming for TS4 in our lifetimes, it would mean getting into the coding, rebuilding it and then building a whole world. It's very possible it could come in TS5 instead where extra resources don't need to be added when it can be built directly into that game during its development.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »

I can't imagine any development team would be incapable of building such a feat...

I can ... not that I’m naming names or anything.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I don't like Open World, it gives me anxiety and feels pointless. But I would love open neighborhoods (no loading screens to visit your neighbors or the bar across the street etc.)
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,872 Member
    I liked open worlds and cars, but I played on a Mac and I only had pets and seasons but it was barely playable. Then I had another Mac, the one I have now, it ran much better but still not great. TS4 runs fine but crashes sometimes.
    As a Mac player, I’m happy they take macs into account and It runs on my computer but I completely understand the frustration of people with better gaming computers.

I’d like open neighborhood though, as it makes no sense to me that we can walk around the neighborhood but then if we want to visit the house next door there’s a loading screen. And I’ve always wanted cars in TS4.

• ShanabananasShanabananas Posts: 35 Member
    I enjoyed playing open world in TS3. I didn't enjoy the lag, bugs, and loading time that came with it though. I wouldn't be opposed to having open neighborhoods in TS4 being that there is only 4 or so lots in a neighborhood. It would be nice to visit your next door neighbors without a loading screen.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    The TS3 open world was nice because if you left some sims at home while you sent other sims to a community lot, you could maintain control of everyone at once.
    In TS4, if I have one sim writing a book and another sim gets invited out, I wish that writer would just keep writing until done and then see to their own needs while the other sim is away from the lot. But no. All home activities stop and you can direct them in some ways from the outside, but it’s frustrating when you had already set up their tasks and the same ones aren’t available.

I like TS4 neighborhoods with common areas, it would just be nice to have editing capabilities for these areas, or one community lot (that could be edited) opened up within that neighborhood in addition to whichever household you have loaded.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,465 Member
    I played Sims3 on a gaming rig, that near the end was upgraded to a brand new gaming rig. Went from a DDR2 to a DDR3, in fact. Without 20+ NRaas mods, I had all kinds of problems with Sims3. The weirdest thing was arriving at a lot and watching as the color very slowly dropped into place so that the cabinets weren't white outlines anymore but looked like cabinets. Some have blamed it on the endless color-wheel that enabled the player to customize just about everything in the game, as part of the reason for 'lag'. All I know is that the use of the mods reduced the problems and I could play the game. (Still had a delay in the color, however.) But, I'm not at all happy that the Sims themselves were basically sacrificed for said open world. Wasn't worth it in my mind. The zaniness and unpredictability of the Sims is more than half of the fun of this game, in my 'not so humble' opinion.

I'm not in the least bit vexed about the loading screens in Sims4. In fact I stopped playing Sims3 and returned to playing Sims2 whilst I awaited the release of Sims4, just to get myself 'ready' for the change.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited October 2019
    Rebbilina wrote: »
    What I mainly disliked about the open world was that you were confined to that world. You couldn't just pop over to Sunset Valley if you lived in Riverview whenever you felt like it. And yes, it was laggy. Even now, playing it on a gaming computer, it still doesn't run smoothly. The loading screens were a nightmare too. I remember that I used to always have a book or something next to the computer whenever I was playing the sims 3 back in the day, because I needed something to if I had to go through a loading screen and be stuck there for like 10 min.

For sims 5, I'd love it if they could open up the neighbourhoods, but keep the worlds closed. If I have to go with one though, I very much prefer sims 4 worlds. The loadingscreens don't bother me, as they're always less than a minute for me.

This is basically where I'm at. I'm not anti-open world but I like some of the elements of TS4.

TS3 really toasted my computer at the time. I had a lot of fun with it but the open world glitched in the end for me so that none of the NPCs were free-moving, they all pooled up on one lot in a way that was creepy. Then, my laptop melted down and I didn't come back until well into TS4. I decided to give TS4 a try and decided that I was ok with the short loading screens on my better computer.

I do like the large neighborhoods with minimal loading screens in the open air like the Windenburg countryside, Brindleton Bay and the Sulani islands. It's not illogical to me to have a short loading screen to travel to a different neighborhood.

Editing this to add: When I say my laptop melted, I mean that it literally overheated and the various pieces fell off while the fans ran too fast at a high heat. No issues like that now, but I'm playing on a better computer.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited October 2019
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Even if it worked and didn't cause performance problems and all that, it still was full rabbit holes (not just with careers but stores, etc...unless you bought a spell DLC or whatever it's called at the store. Sure they had a grocery store; but it is a rabbit hole unlike Sims 2. Probably because open world takes a lot to run it) and lots were always empty and sims are always getting stuck. I just didn't care for it. When you do had loading screens to go on vacation or University, it is a nightmare.

I tried in on other computers and Sims 3 still had problems. They aren't bad computers either.

It's funny to me that people complain about rabbit holes when most of their sim careers don't even get a destination.
    Instead their sims teleport in front of the house and they don't even get a car to pick them up.
    I hope we do get a grocery store and a bookstore in TS4. Too much stuff is automatic or done over the computer.
    Great job on the Spa, and the restaurant, when it works properly.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »

I can't imagine any development team would be incapable of building such a feat, but Maxis is a division of EA, so there is no distinction between them. It would be great if EA didn't rush it all out on a deadline though, show some committment to their work and their customers every so often.

I can't see it coming for TS4 in our lifetimes, it would mean getting into the coding, rebuilding it and then building a whole world. It's very possible it could come in TS5 instead where extra resources don't need to be added when it can be built directly into that game during its development.

It's the way the game has been designed - changing that won't be a quick patch, and they have better things to spend developer's time on.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I know it's not the main point of this topic but to me there's also a second aspect in being"open". Open to us - players. We had so many control over lot placement/hood decorating to make worlds in TS2 and TS3 our own. Now we only have set backdrops with specific features attached to them only which makes it even worse. Sims game should not be a set of theme parks.

That being sad I'm a huge fan of open world in TS3. Even with lag and any other consequences. Yet the way TS4 is designed there's no way it can be done. Subhoods are instanced, there's nothing to open between them. Still it would be amazing to have these subhoods opened and keep loading screens only when moving from one to another.

I'm curious how new Uni world will function to allow biking... I guess it'll have to be at lest somewhat open for it. But knowing how things are done these days I guess this feature won't be applied to older worlds. Just like swimable water.