Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you having fun playing Sims 4 without mods?

Comments

• Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people saying that Sims 4 is unplayable or boring without mods. I've never needed any mods to enjoy the game and before finding this forum I didn't even know that so many players were using them. I'd like to know what do you think about the game with or without mods.

I was going to vote, but I'm not really clear what you mean by mods as you have pointed out never using them. Basically there are mods which change, add or improve to the game play.

Then there is custom content which also goes into the mod folder, however this is hair, accessories or clothing that do not effect game play.

I would suspect a LOT more people use custom content in their game then mods personally, the simsresource for example wouldn't have the traffic it does if not the the sheer amount of people downloading custom content.

On the other hand mods see only 1/10 of the traffic/downloads in comparison. Even famous mods supported on patreon for example are only used by a very small share of the larger player base surprisingly.

I DO use a lot of custom content, specifically wedding rings and medieval custom content like elf ears or dresses. But I could totally play this game without mods just fine.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    No, the game is completely unplayable for me without mods.
    Sims4 would have been uninstalled long ago if not for the modding community. I use tuning mods, bug fixing mods and a couple 'cheaty' mods. The cheaty mods allow me to keep household funds down to a more realistic level while my Sims gain a good reputation by donating more to charity. The bug fixing mods make up for the lack of fixes coming from the EA teams. The tuning mods stop the horrible over-the-top actions our Sims engage in at the most inappropriate times, and kill my immersion. This is a game I paid money for, and I want to play it in a way that suits me. If that means adding mods to the game, I will happily do so as long as the outcome gives me more control over what happens in my game. This is supposed to be a sandbox game. It has always been advertised as a sandbox game; until EA decided to take it in 'a different direction'. Yeah, I don't care for this 'new' direction much. I don't care for the idea of handing over control of my game to a game engine and devs that lack common sense. Fact is, a lot of what goes on in the game is either over the top and in your face, or is broken. Some of the stuff in this game is so illogical, I am astounded anyone on the teams thought it would be a fun thing to add. But they added it, then gave it a high probability factor so it happens over and over and over. At least the house fires in Sulani don't happen as often as they used to. I think that was fixed in one of the updates. But I sure had a lot of those fires to deal with for a couple of months. I wish I could find a mod that stops Sims from banging on my door with extra food every day. Or at least stop those plates of kahlua pork from being left on the porch while my Sim is away doing something fun. I like the fact this comes in handy when a Sim is just starting out, but does it have to be kahlua pork every time? A poke bowl once in a while would be pretty nifty.
  • Options
    MetalHeadSixMetalHeadSix Posts: 11 New Member
    I don't have a lot of mods but some are must have.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    Yes, I don't need mods to enjoy the game.
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people saying that Sims 4 is unplayable or boring without mods. I've never needed any mods to enjoy the game and before finding this forum I didn't even know that so many players were using them. I'd like to know what do you think about the game with or without mods.

I was going to vote, but I'm not really clear what you mean by mods as you have pointed out never using them. Basically there are mods which change, add or improve to the game play.

Then there is custom content which also goes into the mod folder, however this is hair, accessories or clothing that do not effect game play.

I would suspect a LOT more people use custom content in their game then mods personally, the simsresource for example wouldn't have the traffic it does if not the the sheer amount of people downloading custom content.

On the other hand mods see only 1/10 of the traffic/downloads in comparison. Even famous mods supported on patreon for example are only used by a very small share of the larger player base surprisingly.

I DO use a lot of custom content, specifically wedding rings and medieval custom content like elf ears or dresses. But I could totally play this game without mods just fine.

I meant only mods, not custom content. Maybe I should've specified it. I knew that a lot of people use cc but I wasn't aware of how popular mods that alter game play were until I started reading posts on this forum.
  • Options
    MicxiMicxi Posts: 29 Member
    Yes, but I only use mods to fix the bugs.
    I only ever used a mod for the Cats & Dogs expansion because you can't control your own pets for some reason without a mod. But mods specifically aren't necessary for me to enjoy a Sims game.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,867 Member
    At one point I was playing with a mod that toned down some of the emotions but I haven't used that since Moschino and really don't miss it. What I do use is UI Cheats to adjust my sims motives when they're too busy to eat and sleep. Is that a mod? :smiley:
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I don’t use mods because in my old age fiddling with the laptop is too confusing. But, there are some mods, if I were younger I might use.
  • Options
    AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
    Yes, but I only use mods to fix the bugs.
    The game does feel slightly shallow without mods IMO, after you complete the very limited tasks from the expansions, the game doesn’t really offer long-term gameplay for me without mods, I often get bored and lose interest because there isn’t Much to do in Sims 4. Mods give us the possibility to have a much more interesting and varied game and I honestly believe they’re the backbone of the Sims community.
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    No, I need mods to enjoy the game.
    I've been playing since TS1 and I've never used mods. I had a fair amount of cc for clothes and hair, but never any game changing mods because I just didnt feel like I needed them. But I find myself getting bored a lot with a vanilla TS4, it just doesnt have the depth in gameplay that other versions have, and so I have a LOT of mods with TS4, I just get way too bored without them, and I think if I didnt have them I would have stopped playing a long time ago. I love TS4 partly because of the solid game that has been built, but mostly because of the added gameplay of some amazing modders.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,961 Member
    edited October 2019
    idk its more of personal preference really but i find that once i download mods i start playing in ways that become boring very quick just to use the mods to their fullest

so I rather don't have them
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Completely unplayable without mods. If I couldn’t have MCCC and it’s story progression features, I wouldn’t even consider playing.

Would of said the exact same thing. Without MCCC running in the background progressing marriages, children, adding more random sims and the like it would be down to playing dozens, literally dozens of households to get them to work and everything would be arranged instead of playing hard to get. That would be extremely time consuming and you can burn out quickly.

---

I run other mods but those get the game away from the hand holding and barbie doll setting. Game is a lot more playable since i got those onboard, because i can relate to it. i'm about 50 hours away from having 1k hours invested in TS4 by mods. Without the mods i managed 300 hours before i started looking around. The reason i looked around is because i can see so much potential in this game and it was getting stale at that point.

I Wasn't wrong on that point with 1250 hours into it within the 4 months i've been playing it so far. This game has gotten more hours out of me than any other game combined within the last 6 years. THank you Maxis and the mod makers for keeping me entertained.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Other
    There are definitely things for me that would be better if I used mods. I currently don't use them because I haven't before and because I don't want to keep updating them, but I don't have anything against them. I've heard of several that improve aspects of the game that need to be fixed but still haven't for whatever reason...personalities, always drinking water, and retail are my main issues.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited October 2019
    I prefer to play without mods/CC. I have only used mods in TS4 a couple of times briefly for convenience i.e. pose player for screenshots and MCCC to copy the appearance of a sim. I think TS4 has a lot of potential to grow and improve, but overall I really enjoy it and I don't need mods to do so.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    No, I need mods to enjoy the game.
    The game feels a lot more restricted without MCCC.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I never play with mods so it is nothing new to me. I play the games as designed basically.

I did try mods a time or two that fixed issues but found they caused more issues than they fixed after a while and just stopped trying with them. I just decided instead to properly fix the game issues in my game instead.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    Yes, I can have fun without mods, but I have even more fun with them.
    I would play sims 4 without mods and I enjoyed it while I did. For me, it's about the storytelling and that's in my head.

That being said, mods bring fun things and also make it a lot easier to tell the stories I want
  • Options
    kayen_keagenkayen_keagen Posts: 53 Member
    I used to be a non mod player myself. But came across all these mods that tweak the emotions and interactions that makes the game much more realistic. I try not to have so much mods as I hate to update them all after a patch.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Because I prefer to play with vanilla. No mods or CCs. Yet, I wish that EA could learn from the modders. They are geniuses and their talents need to be recognised.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Must have mods. I couldn't imagine trying to play a fun game without them. All the new & unique hairstyles and clothing options! MCCC helping me by not send my sim to bed or to the loo every 2 mins.. skin details, tattoos and skintones.. 3d Eyelashes! & now the height sliders! The Sims 4 needs mods.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I can play it without mods and do when they break with patches and waiting for them to be updated; but some mods do add things that you won't see in the game (or at least not yet), so makes it a bit more interesting. MCCC is the closest we are going to get for a story progression, so it is one of the few mods I keep in all the time. The rest I try them out for a bit then take them out later (different mods are used for different games/challenges). Right now I am testing out this new Royalty mod.
  • Options
    0xx_Simmer_xx00xx_Simmer_xx0 Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2019
    My mods are mainly just for CAS, I hate the way most of the default CAS items look, so I can have fun without mods, but my CAS creativity would be very limited.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I enjoy the game with and without but I also like mods. I'm too lazy to remove and update them every time we have a patch. If/when the developers move on to TS5 and we don't get any more updates for TS4, I'll play with mods. That's what I did with TS3.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    I'll be honest, I used to love the game better with mods, particularly CC for male clothing and hair, new food recipes, and bug fixes, but the team has implemented a lot more of all the stuff I was wanting, of course more options is always better, but sometimes CC and mods give me more problems than the base game lol
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    Other
    I only used the mod to deactivate the Strangerville storyline, so as to get rid of the infected, and recently installed that red shelf you can use to put clutter anywhere. But other than that I prefer vanilla.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I do like mods and cc and I think the creators are brilliant.
    Every now and then I'll watch an LP and gawk at all the stuff people put in the game.
    I very much enjoy playing without them, though I will experiment toward the very end of a game's lifetime.