Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your WEIRDEST source of inspiration

Comments

• SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    sgemm wrote: »
    I definitely have some.. weird ones. A house inspired by a Halloween magazine most recently, also a bed-and-breakfast inspired by a dream I had, and the dream was inspired by a song I listened to that day. Double indirect inspo! For one Build challenge I built a coffee shop that was basically almost a direct copy of the one I work at because I love it so much.

What was about the magazine speficially? Was it a color scheme, the decor?

I don't think I've ever built anything from a dream or a song. Although, I have been listening to a lot of Jim Croce lately, and thought about making a sim similar to the description of Jim Walker in "You Don't Mess Around With Jim."

The coffee shop isn't really too weird but inspiration from anywhere is always a good thing. I like making real life houses and venues in the sims. I'm not too good at making real life people into sims though. I accidentally made Lucille Ball a couple of years ago. The base sim that came up when I randomized looked enough like her all I had to do is tweak a few things.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't think I've really pulled from outside influences. I thought about looking up houseplans and I might do that sometime. I haven't mastered complex roofing in this version of the game so my own builds have been easy to roof. I've renovated some downloads as well.

When I make a sim, I might have a short basic idea and then flip through random sims until one looks like they're a fit for that with some editing. It "usually" works out well. I find it easy to make sims. I do like building so I guess I should do a roofing tutorial and get more creative.

I tend to just start plonking rooms down to tick off all the necessary boxes, then I personalize features for the sims. Later, I get annoyed by the roof if it isn't an easy rectangle. I don't spend a lot of time on unplayable decor but I'll try adding a little bit more going forward.

I'm pretty good at renovating and that's probably where I've been most creative.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    @ChampandGirlie, floorplans are a great way to get better at building. That's what I did to get the basic shape then I would plan the layout myself. Also the actual picture of a house helps a lot with roofs. There are also several roofing tutorials on YouTube too. For me personally, I usually start with any part of the house that sticks out and go from there. Also, by looking at the house in too down view helps me visualize what pieces would go where. In my opinion, roofing in TS4 is much easier than other iterations. It just takes practice.
  • sgemmsgemm Posts: 38 Member
    I definitely have some.. weird ones. A house inspired by a Halloween magazine most recently, also a bed-and-breakfast inspired by a dream I had, and the dream was inspired by a song I listened to that day. Double indirect inspo! For one Build challenge I built a coffee shop that was basically almost a direct copy of the one I work at because I love it so much.

What was about the magazine speficially? Was it a color scheme, the decor?

I don't think I've ever built anything from a dream or a song. Although, I have been listening to a lot of Jim Croce lately, and thought about making a sim similar to the description of Jim Walker in "You Don't Mess Around With Jim."

The coffee shop isn't really too weird but inspiration from anywhere is always a good thing. I like making real life houses and venues in the sims. I'm not too good at making real life people into sims though. I accidentally made Lucille Ball a couple of years ago. The base sim that came up when I randomized looked enough like her all I had to do is tweak a few things.

It essentially made me want to build a house that looked like it was straight out of the magazine, beautifully decorated for halloween and looking ready for a party at all times. I love all the photography and decor ideas.

Haha, that's great! I've definitely made sims based off songs too. You should go for it if you want to.

And that's true, and the Lucille Ball sim sounds amazing. You can get quite lucky with the randomization sometimes.
  • KafeleKafele Posts: 17 Member
    I think I usually get my inspiration for storylines from the tv shows I watch. I love a good drama so I try to find ways to incorporate that into my sims while playing. Of course with the games limitations, most of those stories are in my head lmao.

Right now my inspiration is coming from Grand Hotel. In the past I used to draw a lot of inspiration from General Hospital and One Life to Live (my guilty pleasures lmao).
    edited October 2019
    It essentially made me want to build a house that looked like it was straight out of the magazine, beautifully decorated for halloween and looking ready for a party at all times. I love all the photography and decor ideas.

I don't really do too many seasonal builds. I don't know why but I don't. I guess I maybe it's because realistically you don't rebuild your entire house for each holiday. Maybe I'm overthinking it :D.

Kafele wrote: »
    I think I usually get my inspiration for storylines from the tv shows I watch. I love a good drama so I try to find ways to incorporate that into my sims while playing. Of course with the games limitations, most of those stories are in my head lmao.

Right now my inspiration is coming from Grand Hotel. In the past I used to draw a lot of inspiration from General Hospital and One Life to Live (my guilty pleasures lmao).

I haven't seen Grand Hotel. I don't even think I've heard of it, to be honest.

I used to be a daytime TV junkie as well. Days of Our Lives was my guilty pleasure. That was until it got repetitive and boring. I haven't watched a soap opera in about 10 years now. Although, now that you mention it, soap operas would be an awesome source for storylines. I haven't thought of that until now.
  • NevonaNevona Posts: 32 Member
    One day I was eating spaghetti and was inspired to build a church for the spaghetti lords. Dont judge ok😂
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2019
    I get my inspiration from many places. Whether it's places I imagine, places I've been to or may be going to in the future, fictional places, all that sort of stuff. The house I'm currently working on is actually inspired by the Minecraft parody song "500 Chunks".

Grand Designs, Love It or List It and Selling Houses Australia are also super good for inspiration.
    Post edited by AriaMad2 on
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I get all my inspiration from my head. It's a deep, dark pit of strange in that hole.

I always heard some of the greatest authors, artists, and genius were a little strange, so strange isn't necessarily a bad thing :).

I never said it was a bad thing, just that it was a deep, dark, pit of strange.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• jutrzenka3jutrzenka3 Posts: 18 Member
    Not sure if I'd call this weird. Maybe creepy is a better word lol but... when driving at night, I find myself looking into people's homes who have the windows open and lights on and thinking, "ooh, I want to build that house in the sims" 😂
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    From the weirdest source imaginable, real life. Sometimes buildings I've visited, homes I've either lived in or seen, Victorian era plans I've gotten my paws on, and other such things. In TS2 I've even done a miniature Titanic, taking several lots to do it. Yes, I have copies of those plans, too. I fully agree with Writin_Reg. The degeneration of the game makes translation of real life inspiration into simsian terms very difficult at best. Life is full of unexpected twists, turns, odd knobs and crevaces. They are part of what makes life life, and the game (and we) are the poorer for the deletions, even if well-intended.
    Nevona wrote: »
    One day I was eating spaghetti and was inspired to build a church for the spaghetti lords. Dont judge ok😂

No judgement here. On the contrary actually, I think that sounds like a fun build to do.

Yeah, but I think everyone has a dark and strange side.
    jutrzenka3 wrote: »
    Not sure if I'd call this weird. Maybe creepy is a better word lol but... when driving at night, I find myself looking into people's homes who have the windows open and lights on and thinking, "ooh, I want to build that house in the sims" 😂

Like I said above, no judgement. I don't look into their houses but I do look at the exterior. I did do that as a kid though to see what they were watching on tv 😂.
    From the weirdest source imaginable, real life. Sometimes buildings I've visited, homes I've either lived in or seen, Victorian era plans I've gotten my paws on, and other such things. In TS2 I've even done a miniature Titanic, taking several lots to do it. Yes, I have copies of those plans, too. I fully agree with Writin_Reg. The degeneration of the game makes translation of real life inspiration into simsian terms very difficult at best. Life is full of unexpected twists, turns, odd knobs and crevaces. They are part of what makes life life, and the game (and we) are the poorer for the deletions, even if well-intended.

The Titanic? I bet that was a fun, but time-consuming build.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I get most of mine from ghost programs, so I build the Whaley House and stuff like that because it fascinates me. I also build houses that are in stories, big gothic victorian houses I like the best. I plan on doing some of the houses in Anne Rices books, when she writes it makes you feel you are walking through the house with her. I build what I see on tv, on haunted sites, what's in my head (Pretty creepy sometimes) and get frustrated by the limitations of build mode as I do it. I look around old architecture in the UK and build them, I used to work as a surveyor taking pictures of houses for rent and build some of those too. They never totally work out to what I want, but I have fun and the problem that every new household I make needs a new house, then will want another halfway through their lives, possibly another and another. Uk houses don't suit the Sims 4 aesthetic so much but I still get over excited when I see something I need to build.
    Bloosmoo wrote: »
    I get most of mine from ghost programs, so I build the Whaley House and stuff like that because it fascinates me. I also build houses that are in stories, big gothic victorian houses I like the best. I plan on doing some of the houses in Anne Rices books, when she writes it makes you feel you are walking through the house with her. I build what I see on tv, on haunted sites, what's in my head (Pretty creepy sometimes) and get frustrated by the limitations of build mode as I do it. I look around old architecture in the UK and build them, I used to work as a surveyor taking pictures of houses for rent and build some of those too. They never totally work out to what I want, but I have fun and the problem that every new household I make needs a new house, then will want another halfway through their lives, possibly another and another. Uk houses don't suit the Sims 4 aesthetic so much but I still get over excited when I see something I need to build.

I built a house once that was inspired by an abandoned (possibly haunted) house I saw someone touring on YouTube.

I've never read anything by Anne Rice. I've never been an avid reader. I read when the mood strikes and can go years without reading anything. When the mood strikes, I do enjoy a good mystery or horror though.

I do agree there are limitations with building in the Sims versus real life but I usually improvise to get it the closest I can.
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    I get my architecture inspiration from pinterest, and where I grew up. I like to build SW and US Southern Gothic homes.
    I draw a lot of my inspiration for my sims and stories mostly from the Disc World series by Terry Pratchett and Star Trek. I also draw from comic books, novels etc. My weirdest character I have made on console was about an alien named Harry Vanderspeigle. I drew this from the comic series Resident Alien. In the comic line, Ha-reh crashlanded on Earth during a mission and was stranded. His species had the ability to telepathically disguise themselves. He was an expert in human anatomy and mascqeraded as a doctor working in rural Oregon. He loved reading cheesy noir crime novels. The character named himself Harry Vanderspiegle and now solves murders and crimes happening around this town as the town coroner.
    His appearance is easily duplicated in CAS too!
    I made a version of him on console and loved playing him and his family. I need to remake him now that I'm on pc.
    I get my architecture inspiration from pinterest, and where I grew up. I like to build SW and US Southern Gothic homes.
    I draw a lot of my inspiration for my sims and stories mostly from the Disc World series by Terry Pratchett and Star Trek. I also draw from comic books, novels etc. My weirdest character I have made on console was about an alien named Harry Vanderspeigle. I drew this from the comic series Resident Alien. In the comic line, Ha-reh crashlanded on Earth during a mission and was stranded. His species had the ability to telepathically disguise themselves. He was an expert in human anatomy and mascqeraded as a doctor working in rural Oregon. He loved reading cheesy noir crime novels. The character named himself Harry Vanderspiegle and now solves murders and crimes happening around this town as the town coroner.
    His appearance is easily duplicated in CAS too!
    I made a version of him on console and loved playing him and his family. I need to remake him now that I'm on pc.

Harry Vanderspeigle sounds very interesting. Given his expertise, a coroner is the perfect job for him. Do you just have in the detective career in game?
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    When it comes to building I used to draw inspiration a lot from the type of homes and architecture I'd photography when travelling. It may have been the way the windows or balconies looked with climbers and plants over then I would be drawn to recreate them.

I would really enjoy creating the kind of brownstone properties you find in NYC in a suitable neighbourhood.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
    Ayeffen wrote: »
    When it comes to building I used to draw inspiration a lot from the type of homes and architecture I'd photography when travelling. It may have been the way the windows or balconies looked with climbers and plants over then I would be drawn to recreate them.

I would really enjoy creating the kind of brownstone properties you find in NYC in a suitable neighbourhood.

Isn't it interesting how simple things--such as a shape of a window or plants--can inspire an entire build? That's sort of the reason I even began this thread. I wanted to see if people got inspiration from odd or unconventional places. I've really enjoyed all of the responses from everyone.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Nevona wrote: »

No judgement here. On the contrary actually, I think that sounds like a fun build to do.

Yeah, but I think everyone has a dark and strange side.
    jutrzenka3 wrote: »

Like I said above, no judgement. I don't look into their houses but I do look at the exterior. I did do that as a kid though to see what they were watching on tv 😂.

The Titanic? I bet that was a fun, but time-consuming build.

Yes to both. It had to be in miniature as there is no lot or set of lots that come to 900 x 90 feet, and at the time I didn't know about the cheat to add levels. Still, even the attempt to make a bit of history can be a rush. Side note, in the scene where Mr. Andrews tells Rose how to get to the MAA room, the directions are spot on. I traced them on my plan of E deck, and that's where I wound up. Be nice if EA cared that much about detail and getting things right!
    Yes to both. It had to be in miniature as there is no lot or set of lots that come to 900 x 90 feet, and at the time I didn't know about the cheat to add levels. Still, even the attempt to make a bit of history can be a rush. Side note, in the scene where Mr. Andrews tells Rose how to get to the MAA room, the directions are spot on. I traced them on my plan of E deck, and that's where I wound up. Be nice if EA cared that much about detail and getting things right!

I think I've only ever built one house in TS2. I started with TS3, and only got TS2 when they had the Ultimate Collection for free a few years back. I really fell in love with building in TS4. With the other two it was mostly remodels and redecorating. I did a lot more gameplay though. Now, it's pretty much even between gameplay and build if not slightly more building.

The biggest thing I've ever built was a village a few weeks ago.
  • hunnybunny382hunnybunny382 Posts: 19 Member
    Most of my inspiration comes from my 4 year old make sims and house.
    Most of my inspiration comes from my 4 year old make sims and house.

Your 4 year old? That's so cute!
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I like to make and / or download sims inspired by cartoon or kids show characters. They are lots of fun to make if the original character is not human eg. What would kermit and miss piggy look like/ act like as sims (Muppets are my next cas adventure).
    I find it harder to move away from traditional inspirations with lots but recently have looked at unusual real life builds (which probably had someone elses unusual inspiration.)
    Becka28 wrote: »
    I like to make and / or download sims inspired by cartoon or kids show characters. They are lots of fun to make if the original character is not human eg. What would kermit and miss piggy look like/ act like as sims (Muppets are my next cas adventure).
    I find it harder to move away from traditional inspirations with lots but recently have looked at unusual real life builds (which probably had someone elses unusual inspiration.)

I usually draw from the usual sources for inspiration but what sparked this whole discussion was using clipart as inspiration.

As for the cartoon characters, that's an interesting way to play. Now, I'm curious what Kermit and Ms. Piggy would look like. After the release of Cats & Dogs, I made the pups from Paw Patrol. I didn't make Rider because I couldn't decide what age I should make him. Plus, I wanted to explore CAP(et).
  • breanna206breanna206 Posts: 53 Member
    Prolly not that "weird" but most any time when I watch HGTV I get a hankering to start decorating a sim house :)