Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My MacBook is too expensive to repair, what do I do ?

DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
edited October 2019 in Off Topic Chat
So last week my MacBook Pro wouldn’t start. I took it to an Apple Store to be checked and, long story short, it’s either the hard drive that’s fried or the “main card” (not sure about the English word for it) and it would cost me either 500 or 600€ to repair depending on the problem.
They don’t know what caused it, there was dust inside, it might be that or it could be that I’ve been playing TS4 for over a year and it overheats and gets very loud and this could potentially have fried the hard drive (MAC players, be careful).

So here’s my dilemma, I can’t afford the repair costs (which sucks because my laptop is only 5 years old) nor a new MacBook Pro as the prices keep increasing and I’m kinda broke right now. I could try to find a second hand MacBook or, as I intend to play TS4 again, I could buy a PC that’s more affordable than a Mac and will handle TS4 better.

What’s your opinion ?

If you can advise me on a specific laptop that’s affordable I’d appreciate. I’m so bummed right now :(

Comments

• Bubbles_95Bubbles_95 Posts: 14 New Member
    I think you should look into getting a more affordable PC that can run TS4 better. I don't think any of the apple Macs were built to handle games that well.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes I’m gonna look and see what I can find.

Also I fear I’m gonna lose all my saves (but not my games on Origin though). They said they could take the hard drive out so I can try and recover my data but I have no idea how to use it then. It not only has all my saves but also a lot of photos I don’t want to lose.
    Bubbles_95 wrote: »
    I think you should look into getting a more affordable PC that can run TS4 better. I don't think any of the apple Macs were built to handle games that well.

Post edited by Dianesims on
  • Bubbles_95Bubbles_95 Posts: 14 New Member
    Fingers crossed you can recover your saves. I know all too well how painful losing them can be!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Obviously don't waste your time buying another MacBook. Get a Windows PC to play the game!!! You won't regret it!
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited October 2019
    500-600€ to repair is way too much, Most companies can offer you a recovery of what is on your hard drive for a small fee, if they can recover it, they can save the content on an external hard drive (that you connect to via usb), that way they can save your files.

In your case I would ask how much it takes to recover what is on the hard drive, if they still say 500-600€, then try another company than the Apple store.

After that I would probably buy a second-hand PC, I don't know what country you live in but one of the cheapest way to buy a second-hand PC where I live is to buy used company laptops from sites that works with restoring them and reselling them.

Got a call from Apple, it’s the hard drive that’s fried. I’ve been playing TS4 since 2017 I think (Cats and Dogs had just been released) so maybe it’s what fried my hard drive, maybe not.

Anyway, going to another computer repair shop tomorrow to see if they can repair it for a cheaper price, if not then I’ll ask them if they can recover my data and I’ll be buying a new laptop.
    The guys I saw changed the hard drive for a decent price I could afford, I lost all that was on the old one though, saves, photos, documents, downloads (oh plum, my cc too!) and I’ll have to redownload everything from origin.

They said it’s odd that an ssd hard drive broke like that.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Great to hear that they were able to replace it. Sucks that you lost all your files...

Yes, it is odd for an ssd to break down. My computer broke down once and I lost all my saves, from now on I am always taking backups on another hard drive.
    The only reason I can think of is overheating ? My macbook is 5 years old, so not that old.
    logion wrote: »
    Great to hear that they were able to replace it. plum that you lost all your files...

Yes, it is odd for an ssd to break down. My computer broke down once and I lost all my saves, from now on I am always taking backups on another hard drive.

Guys I lost everything in “my library” on the gallery, how come ?? This sucks!!!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Your library is in the tray folder in the Sims 4 folder. If you can't recover that, then it's gone. Only stuff you upload online to the Gallery can be downloaded back.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • jutrzenka3jutrzenka3 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear that this happened! Losing saves can be tragic. I can't offer any advice as far as recovering files, except to always keep backups of everything going forward. However, I do highly suggest getting a separate computer for gaming.I can suggest some really good and affordable options if it's something you'd want to do.
  • NevonaNevona Posts: 32 Member
    I think you should go for another Laptop, if you repair or get another mac book this whole dilemma may go down again within the next year or two
    They couldn’t tell me what broke the hard drive. I think the best long terme solution would indeed be to get an affordable gaming laptop. Anyway I’m not sure my next computer will be a Mac, as the new ones have welded components so if they break it’s super expensive to repair.

Also I remembered I sent EA my save In August and to do so I stored it on Onedrive, I was able to get a lot of stuff back. Not the library or cc but at least most of my game :)
    jutrzenka3 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear that this happened! Losing saves can be tragic. I can't offer any advice as far as recovering files, except to always keep backups of everything going forward. However, I do highly suggest getting a separate computer for gaming.I can suggest some really good and affordable options if it's something you'd want to do.