The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA, nearly 20 years into the series, this is the kind of innovation that I love

Comments

• SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member
    1857. Something to decipher or just some random numbers?
    Looks amazing, sims 4 could never
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    If he is ever able to complete his project, Paralives will definitely be something to watch, and I definitely plan to try it out. I just hope he doesn't run into licensing issues.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    If I like the final product, I'll be open to it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    It does look interesting, and I'm glad he is having a go, a huge task for one single person and it's nice that he is getting the community around him to help finance it. It really does have a nice happy feel to the whole scenario how his vision has come to life, will have to wait and see what the gameplay looks like and what the actual characters look like. But, at least at this stage anyway, it doesn't loook like it could replace The Sims for me, I am having so much fun with my game at the moment, playing a totally different way and playing things in game that I haven't even touched before, even though I've bought every single pack.

I'll still be keeping an eye on his updates though and impressed with his efforts so far :)
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    There's always the possibility that EA will sue. They've done it before. Win or lose, they have deep enough pockets to drive out competition that way. I'm hoping they don't do that -- healthy competition is a good thing.

Because one company can make a chair, another can't make chairs?

Well not if they look like EA's chairs as EA copyrights protects everything they make and that is what got Zygna caught is looking too much like EA's kitchen.It never even went to court - Zygna pulled their game instead and they made some agreement with EA. That was the last we saw of that game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Absolutely NOT - most free content has been cultural and not something we ever get in base game. How did you get that. Back in Sims 2 days we paid for stuff we now get free - seeing free was rare in Sims 2. We even had to pay for Holiday stuff in Sims 2. For free Sims 4 has been amazing.

Sorry! I am talking about pools, Toddlers as a whole, terrain tools, proper stair tools (that are still not totally functional), better foundation functionality, gender options, Ghosts, dishwashers, half walls, Locking doors, an empty neighborhood, Events, baby gender influence, Basements, sims personal notebooks to keep track of collections/info, basic careers like Business and Athletic, Paid time off and family leave - and much more!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    thecatsred wrote: »

Absolutely NOT - most free content has been cultural and not something we ever get in base game. How did you get that. Back in Sims 2 days we paid for stuff we now get free - seeing free was rare in Sims 2. We even had to pay for Holiday stuff in Sims 2. For free Sims 4 has been amazing.

Sorry! I am talking about pools, Toddlers as a whole, terrain tools, proper stair tools (that are still not totally functional), better foundation functionality, gender options, Ghosts, dishwashers, half walls, Locking doors, an empty neighborhood, Events, baby gender influence, Basements, sims personal notebooks to keep track of collections/info, basic careers like Business and Athletic, Paid time off and family leave - and much more!

Many of those things were missing base game content - not really free content - it had to be free simply because it should have been in the base game - unlike all the free things we get now - which are many times whole set of stuff - not considered missing base game content. We've always had the collections list - in Sims 4. The baby gender thing should have come with Get to work - in Sims 3 I recall we got that with the doctor - so it should have been in the doctor one for sims 4. Locking doors actually came in packs usually, it wasn't a base game thing either - but what was a base game thing we still haven't gotten was doorbells. I believe Vacation leave has always came with the vacation packs - I do think it is high time kids got school leave added to that instead of us just taking kids out of school. They need summers off or something. Well we did get one empty neighborhood - but we should have at least empty versions of all the others - as one is not enough.

But as for free content and sets - Sims 4 has been the most lenient of all the series and give us whole sets of some really nice things. I don't know why most seem to forget all these nice sets we get.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »
    It does look interesting, and I'm glad he is having a go, a huge task for one single person and it's nice that he is getting the community around him to help finance it. It really does have a nice happy feel to the whole scenario how his vision has come to life, will have to wait and see what the gameplay looks like and what the actual characters look like. But, at least at this stage anyway, it doesn't loook like it could replace The Sims for me, I am having so much fun with my game at the moment, playing a totally different way and playing things in game that I haven't even touched before, even though I've bought every single pack.

I'll still be keeping an eye on his updates though and impressed with his efforts so far :)
    As far as I understand it he’s not alone anymore but hiring people. Which is good news!
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited October 2019

Many of those things were missing base game content - not really free content - it had to be free simply because it should have been in the base game - unlike all the free things we get now - which are many times whole set of stuff - not considered missing base game content. We've always had the collections list - in Sims 4. The baby gender thing should have come with Get to work - in Sims 3 I recall we got that with the doctor - so it should have been in the doctor one for sims 4. Locking doors actually came in packs usually, it wasn't a base game thing either - but what was a base game thing we still haven't gotten was doorbells. I believe Vacation leave has always came with the vacation packs - I do think it is high time kids got school leave added to that instead of us just taking kids out of school. They need summers off or something. Well we did get one empty neighborhood - but we should have at least empty versions of all the others - as one is not enough.

But as for free content and sets - Sims 4 has been the most lenient of all the series and give us whole sets of some really nice things. I don't know why most seem to forget all these nice sets we get.
    Would be interesting to make a list. Sims 3 came with a few free updates as well by the way (like body hair, which beats everything else on its own for me :mrgreen: )(but also open water came as a free addition, spiral stairs...?, Riverview, pools were automatically in, so were toddlers and terrain tools)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Paralives dropped a new video, for me the art style is becoming more and more pleasing. Plus all the little details, the reflexion of the light on the window moving along with the wind, objects moving with the wind, everything is so well thought.
    https://youtu.be/B3G1kvPS7Nk

The lighting is amazing and really gives me a cozy October feel.
    And yes the art style has improved, I'm loving it.

What I hope is that this sparks a trend of sorts haha. We players of life simulators deserve to be spoiled for a bit.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

Pretty sure that's what their post was referring to in the first place...

You're right about all the other free content though, I feel like we've gotten a lot in this iteration but I think some is do with getting the stuff we should have had in the beginning and the actual new stuff so it might feel like more. I do feel like the free stuff is a distraction from the real issues people have with the game though. I feel like that last patch should have had some ROM fixes in it, yet it had almost nothing for any part of the game and certainly nothing for ROM and really highlighted and pushed "but look we have fancy new robot costumes for you for free!" Yeah? Thanks? I appreciate the costumes, I do but I felt really let down that I paid 20 quid for features that are broken for me and it can't be fixed within the first month yet a modder fixed in a couple of days?! Really EA? :(

Getting freebies is nice, but it's not and shouldn't be the alternative to actual fixes and a little bit of depth or innovation.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2019
    Paralives dropped a new video, for me the art style is becoming more and more pleasing. Plus all the little details, the reflexion of the light on the window moving along with the wind, objects moving with the wind, everything is so well thought.
    https://youtu.be/B3G1kvPS7Nk

Wow, I haven't seen that one! Thanks for bringing it over. <3

The graphics really are looking better and better -- so crisp and alive. I like that the decor objects are responding to the gentle wind. Something about it feels so warm and cozy. It feels a lot like Halloween!

Edited to add: I love, love, flippin' love that there's going to be a rocking chair and a sign with the house number -- in the base game. Also, it looks as if there will be slots on the stairs for decorations. It's all in those little details.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    It was cool I got to see the first of UniverSim last night too. Has a lot of complex systems and gameplay with it. Really pretty game too. I was quite impressed by it. Cool how chat commands on Twitch tied into the game too to make for some quite dramatic gameplay.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    I think I´m alone with my opinion, but I don´t like the look of Sims 4.
    I don´t like the oversaturated colors, the plastik look and the overall blurriness. Even the Sims itself don´t have sharpness in their faces. And this new game looks identically to this artstyle!
    So if it doesn´t blow Sims 2 and Sims 3 out of the water (Sims 4 doesn´t count for me, because it is inferior to them) I won´t spend money on it.
    For me it looks too much like Sims 4.
    (just my opinion)
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2019
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    I don´t like the oversaturated colors, the plastik look and the overall blurriness. Even the Sims itself don´t have sharpness in their faces. And this new game looks identically to this artstyle!
    So if it doesn´t blow Sims 2 and Sims 3 out of the water (Sims 4 doesn´t count for me, because it is inferior to them) I won´t spend money on it.
    (just my opinion)

You're not alone, I've never liked the looks of TS4, really. The Sims are good. The worlds and the objects in them? Not so much.

I've had the complete opposite response to Paralives. :)

Something about the latest Paralives video looks much different than TS4 to me. Perhaps it's because everything isn't as fluffy, brightly-colored, and featureless as TS4. Maybe it's the lighting. Or, it could be the depth of the window frames that appear to be quite 3-dimensional in comparison to TS4. Plus, the whites are actually white! A lot of it is probably due to the fact that the lot isn't as static as it is in the Sims games. So many things that I'm used to seeing motionless are now moving -- the grass, the bushes, the sign, the chair, the decorative objects... (The only thing that I don't care for is the flatness of the pathway to the steps.)

Perhaps it's because it seems as if I myself can walk across that grass and go 'round the corner of the house. I'm actually interested to discover what's back there. It's like coming across an unexpectedly open door IRL and being curious about what awaits inside. Except, because it's a game, it's safe to go take a look. I've never gotten that sensation from any of the Sims games.

Perhaps I'm so starved for something new that anything else looks like an improvement?

I really can't put my finger on it there's just too many variables. Yet, something about the current video seems more realistic and inviting to me.

It's interesting how we all see things so differently. The good thing is that the life simulation genre is wide open. There's a lot more room for other games with different mechanics and different art styles. I would love to try them all! <3

Edited to add: Fourteen kids? That family has been busy! :D
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't mind the stylized graphics at all; they highlight the expressions and personality of the Sims. Which is a double-edged sword. If they're all acting forced, over-the-top, goofy, and far too cartoony, then it just spoils the whole look to me. Especially when they have that ugly, forced smile. If they have varied, life-like expressions, I think the art style is perfect and works better than, say GTA stylized graphics.

The Sims 4 was almost an insta-buy for me when I saw this render (and the Star Wars one, too!). The art style really puts emphasis on diverse personalities, which ironically, in-game, they lack. Still waiting for that much needed patch which finally overhauls traits and Sim personality.

d6j4v48-beddd817-a24b-410d-9b83-cefb9506c5f8.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzVlMDZkZjYxLWQ5OTAtNDMzOC04YjQ1LTg2OTBmZGUyMmY3YlwvZDZqNHY0OC1iZWRkZDgxNy1hMjRiLTQxMGQtOWI4My1jZWZiOTUwNmM1ZjgucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.XTYpf8dTUJZj_FEg1doJyLOqCcSAhWDnGO-2yciIJgA
    I like stylized and highlighted expressions, but Sims 4 for me has always completely missed the mark in that respect somehow. The renders made me hopeful but the sims in the game are nothing like the renders.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yeah all that happens when guests come over my sims' houses is that the guests use my sims' computer and toilet and eat all the food my sim literally just made or the very last of the leftovers. I lock visitors in an empty space and lock the important rooms so if my sim wants to socialize with them, they have to go into the empty space. Otherwise my Sims go out to socialize. Sims don't act like that picture ever.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The simple details in Paralives puts the Sims 4 to shame the world looks alive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3G1kvPS7Nk
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I’ll take that rocking chair swaying in the wind over a Sim eating dinner in the bathroom any day.
  • SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    (just my opinion)

I actually (to this day) prefer sims 2 graphics. Sure, partly because of nostalgia, but in the sims 2 everything seemed a bit gloomy (tad more desaturated than real life almost). I think it fits very well for a life simulator game. I cannot explain why, but it always made the sims feel more real.

On a semi related note, if you start up sims 2, you notice a background noice (sound like wind), very faint but still there. It also adds realism (and somehow gloomyness). In the sims 4, there is no background white noice, just silence.
    643117-925292_20050225_002.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SumoB wrote: »

I actually (to this day) prefer sims 2 graphics. Sure, partly because of nostalgia, but in the sims 2 everything seemed a bit gloomy (tad more desaturated than real life almost). I think it fits very well for a life simulator game. I cannot explain why, but it always made the sims feel more real.

On a semi related note, if you start up sims 2, you notice a background noice (sound like wind), very faint but still there. It also adds realism (and somehow gloomyness). In the sims 4, there is no background white noice, just silence.
    643117-925292_20050225_002.jpg
    I prefer Sims 2 graphics too. There is still so much emotion and good transition between emotions too and just the animations are still so detailed. Out of all the graphics, has the best books and circular pans and it is little details like that I notice with the quality of objects and graphics.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    @Cynna : I can fully understand why you like the Paralives graphics so much more than the Sims 4 one, it is much better! As you said, it has more depth and detail and is a big improvement!

But as I said: I would be alone with my opinion, because I like The Sims 3´s graphics the best. I don´t like this bright colors and the missing of sharpness. I like my game looking more real!