Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular Opinions (The Sims 3)

Comments

• SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    I think I get diabetes from looking at that. I should probably add that, although I have all other stuff packs, I don't care that much about them. I probably use some of the clothing or hair (I never know where stuff I use is from), but as far as furniture is concerned, I mostly stick to base game and HELS, which I started out with, and rarely Supernatural or ITF. It probably doesn't help I don't like decorating houses. I spam those cheap Chinese vases and some stuff from UL and call it a day.

@Turjan - Why is that? They all have the EP, SP or Store icon on them in the left bottom corner, and there's also a convenient filtering function:

zgkwdSD.jpg

zdr2VMB.jpg
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited October 2019
    @SuzyCue72 For one, I don't pay much attention. Then there's the unfortunate point that my color vision isn't the best, which means I can't distinguish many of the EP or SP icons. I slowly start getting an idea where in the list which one is, but I'm not there yet. Of course, the ITF symbol is always easy to see because it uses something else than color to distinguish itself, but it doesn't even matter in this case, as it's on top of the list, anyway. Regarding store or custom items, they all use the same symbol, respectively.

To identify where a specific haircut is from, I would have to look through the list on the right, try to match the symbol and hope I get it right, and then look at the pop-up text. I usually don't do that.

Edit: Just to give you an idea how bad this is: Of the packs I mentioned that I use them often, I cannot distinguish the HELS from the Supernatural icon. I think there are two more icons that look the same to me. It's something with blue/violet/purple (one group I can't distinguish) on the outside with probably yellow/bright green/beige (another group I can't distinguish) on the inside. It's pretty much hopeless. Of the medium tones, orange/green/brown are also just one sauce to me, especially at that small size.
    Turjan wrote: »
    @SuzyCue72 For one, I don't pay much attention. Then there's the unfortunate point that my color vision isn't the best, which means I can't distinguish many of the EP or SP icons. I slowly start getting an idea where in the list which one is, but I'm not there yet. Of course, the ITF symbol is always easy to see because it uses something else than color to distinguish itself, but it doesn't even matter in this case, as it's on top of the list, anyway. Regarding store or custom items, they all use the same symbol, respectively.

To identify where a specific haircut is from, I would have to look through the list on the right, try to match the symbol and hope I get it right, and then look at the pop-up text. I usually don't do that.

Edit: Just to give you an idea how bad this is: Of the packs I mentioned that I use them often, I cannot distinguish the HELS from the Supernatural icon. I think there are two more icons that look the same to me. It's something with blue/violet/purple (one group I can't distinguish) on the outside with probably yellow/bright green/beige (another group I can't distinguish) on the inside. It's pretty much hopeless. Of the medium tones, orange/green/brown are also just one sauce to me, especially at that small size.

@Turjan - Oh, okay, then I understand why it's difficult for you to see the difference between the icons, especially since they're so small.

I'm sorry, I completely forgot that some people are colourblind, have color vision deficiencies, or whatever the correct term for it is. My bad. :disappointed:
    No worries. I can imagine that color coding is very convenient for people who see colors correctly. For me, it's often an insurmountable obstacle, but yeah, it's an issue not many people have, and I understand it's normal not to think of it.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    I agree with your response to the KPST visuals @SuzyCue72. If I do pick up that particular pack, it will only be for completionist’s sake. I have to check my teeth for cavities after seeing that lot.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @SuzyCue72 - Yes, I'm aware there are many ways to make a quick simoleon in the game. My Sims don't make money fast due to how I play. I play a (close-as-possible) realistic game, which means no instant job just because they have entered the world. My Sims must first learn how to take care of themselves, by learning how to think, cook and socialize with others (logic, cooking and charisma). Then they begin to learn a skill which can be applied to a job or a career. If they are slow learners, things take a bit longer. During this time, the only money they have is whatever is left over from what they started with. After that, every simoleon they earn goes into improving their living conditions and building their future.

I'm kind of play the same way with one exception: When I create a Sim couple, I create them separately. I move the first Sim into whatever house they can afford and it usually takes most of their starting money. Then I move the other Sim in. This gives them an additional stash of cash to get started. I upgrade the cheap appliances, add things the house might not have like burglar alarm, phone, dishwasher, if no shower, I switch out the tub for one, etc.

I don't consider this cheating but at least they can pay their bills. Plus it's more like the couples became roommates and then fell in love naturally (ok, they meet, get married and start a family in one day, but still...)
  • carvernosamcarvernosam Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2023
    DELETED
    Post edited by carvernosam on
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    1. I'm not a fan of TS3's sliders. I don't know if it's the default skin texture or the way the game lights faces, but it's so hard to make unique, attractive, well-defined faces in TS3 because you have to pull the cheek, chin, and jaw sliders so far to the ends for them to look like they do much of anything at all! It's like they put someone in charge of CAS who loves pudgy, soft faces a little too much...

2. I'm not into Story Progression. I like to set up several sims I've made myself and have them bump into each other and form relationships under my own direction. I do not like going over to one sim to set them up, be gone just a sim week or two, come back to the first sim I was playing, and finding that the game gave them some 🐸🐸🐸🐸 townie "girlfriend" and moved her in with him. Well, you know I fixed THAT mess quick, fast, and in a hurry with a break-up and an eviction. Get thee behind me, foul wench! I'll arrange my OWN sims' love lives, thank you very much, game...

3. CAW is really clunky. It needs some sizing reference for the maps while editing them, and it's not all that fun or intuitive to use. The fact that you can't modify a town's terrain in-game only makes things worse, because some of the pre-made maps are just...bad. They're bad, alright. Hills where you don't need them, little room to expand town centers without evicting and bulldozing pre-made stuff...What were the devs thinking with these worlds? ...Wait. No. Looking at what we eventually got in TS4, I know exactly what the devs were thinking with these worlds. They just want to play the game for you, then look at you weird when you say, "But, I actually wanted to do that part..."

4. The Fame system in TS3 is an abomination. Interact with one celebrity to the point of friendship or do the wrong opportunity and, bam! You've got one star of fame and annoying paparazzi at your friggin' house all the time! What even IS that?!! It's a terrible system and whoever thought it would be fun for it to work that way deserves to drop their icecream off the cone and onto the ground as soon as they lick it, to have their shoes always have some random bit of kitty litter get into them, to have that little seam near the toe of their sock constantly rub uncomfortably against their big toe and/or pinky toe as they walk, and to forever burn their morning toast!! A pox upon the fool!!

5. They really didn't do a very good job with Werewolves in TS3. The default faces look like a sad mix between WoW Orcs and "werewolf" makeup from a low-budget kids' T.V. show (Really, who in the blazing Hades thought that looked acceptable?! Not even good, just acceptable?! I mean, and this expansion came out at the height of Twilight-mania, post-Underworld, and THAT'S the best default werewolf form they could come up with?! REALLY??!!! That smash-faced, underbite-having, bootleg Thrall-looking, hot mess?????!!!!!! NO!! BAD!!!), the "Hunt with Pack" interaction is bugged to where only the sim executing the interaction actually hunts or gains werewolf exp while everyone else just stands around or goes off and does some random autonomous nonsense, you have to use mods to even get the face sliders to move far enough to make a decent muzzle, they didn't give us tails...and why is a sim's werewolf level a hidden stat?! I'm starting to think that the Sims dev team is just stacked with werewolf haters, because you can't bungle werewolves THIS badly by accident. You just CAN'T!!

6. The movie theater only having one showtime a day was a terrible idea. You can only see a movie at 5 p.m. and that's IT?! What kind of movie theater even RUNS like that?! A real theater running like that would have to sell tickets at, like, $1500 a pop in order to stay in business!! That's just plain ridiculous!!

7. If you group up with friends, and they all have bikes, and you choose "Go Here With Group" on a far-off spot on the map, everyone should mount up at the same time and ride there together instead of the one sim riding down there, while the others stand around looking dopey until the first sim gets there, and then--and ONLY THEN--getting on their bikes and following the first sim to the meet-up spot. Again, who thought that was a good, let alone FUNCTIONAL, idea?!

So, yeah, those are my unpopular opinions...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @SimsLovinLycan nobody's brought up the movie showings thing but it's even worse because every sim will get a wish to see a movie while on a date and...sir...it's 9PM.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    @SimsLovinLycan Oh my gosh I am DYING LAUGHING reading your unpopular opinions there!

QuaintReliableBison-size_restricted.gif

You've got quite the witty personality. ;)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

2. I'm not into Story Progression. I like to set up several sims I've made myself and have them bump into each other and form relationships under my own direction. I do not like going over to one sim to set them up, be gone just a sim week or two, come back to the first sim I was playing, and finding that the game gave them some plum townie "girlfriend" and moved her in with him. Well, you know I fixed THAT mess quick, fast, and in a hurry with a break-up and an eviction. Get thee behind me, foul wench! I'll arrange my OWN sims' love lives, thank you very much, game...

You are totally not alone with this unpopular opinion.I didn't play for many years after it came out for this exact reason. I finally did a generational challenge but that meant playing one family in one house. I went back to TS2 because of this annoying feature. And after 10 years of fighting against it, I finally installed the Nrass mod to get control over my neighborhood. AND for the first time in 10 years, I'm actually rotationally playing MY created families.

4. The Fame system in TS3 is an abomination. Interact with one celebrity to the point of friendship or do the wrong opportunity and, bam! You've got one star of fame and annoying paparazzi at your friggin' house all the time! What even IS that?!! It's a terrible system and whoever thought it would be fun for it to work that way deserves to drop their icecream off the cone and onto the ground as soon as they lick it, to have their shoes always have some random bit of kitty litter get into them, to have that little seam near the toe of their sock constantly rub uncomfortably against their big toe and/or pinky toe as they walk, and to forever burn their morning toast!! A pox upon the fool!!

I also find this mostly annoying for families where celebrity isn't important to their lives or careers. Did you know there is a setting in options where you can turn off celebrity for that individual family? I did this on one of my current families and no more paparazzi hanging out all hours of the night!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    Pff... @SimsLovinLycan I think the unpopular opinion about CAW is that's it's Awesome... which is my opinion. I hear So much about how hard it is and how it's not intuitive. It's not clunky nor terrible because it's there and usable. There's nothing like it with TS4. :)
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited October 2019
    1. I'm not a fan of TS3's sliders. I don't know if it's the default skin texture or the way the game lights faces, but it's so hard to make unique, attractive, well-defined faces in TS3 because you have to pull the cheek, chin, and jaw sliders so far to the ends for them to look like they do much of anything at all! It's like they put someone in charge of CAS who loves pudgy, soft faces a little too much...

The Sims themselves don't look bad though there's always room for improvement like this comparison. But then again this is also along the lines of my personal preference of more realism.
    Spice-For-Me.jpg
    Spice_For_Me.jpg

Screenshot-25.jpg
    Lucille4.png
    Not surprising as I grew up with video games and have witnessed through the years just how far graphics and aesthetics can go. And the video game industry is still getting even more realistic in what can be done with visuals and sound too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kohEL3Wo6a8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyH4KQGehtg
    A shame The Sims franchise died...for me. What a waste of much sought after improvements and advancements that are available gone ignored to chase after cheap design and gameplay yet for an expensive price to capitalize on the whole microtransactions/DLC train. To kill video games...this is one way to go about it. There is nothing left for those who only care for quality from The Sims, but at least not everyone is about taking advantage of ignorant or indifferent consumers.

Here are more examples of just the Sims as is except pose player/poses. There are a lot of varied looks without custom sliders or NRass MC to extend the numerical value range to allow for even more slider manipulation.
    Screenshot-134.jpg
    Screenshot-27.jpg
    Screenshot-29.jpg
    Screenshot-52.jpg
    Screenshot-147.jpg
    Screenshot-100.jpg
    Screenshot-67.jpg
    Screenshot-339.jpg
    Screenshot-102.jpg
    Screenshot-183.jpg
    Screenshot-1996.jpg
    Screenshot-362.jpg
    Screenshot-341.jpg
    Screenshot-300.jpg
    Screenshot-16.jpg
    Screenshot-259.jpg
    Screenshot-262.jpg
    Screenshot-264.jpg
    Screenshot-200.jpg
    Screenshot-266.jpg
    Screenshot-767.jpg
    Screenshot-712.jpg
    Screenshot-14_(3).jpg
    Screenshot-1760.jpg
    Screenshot-955.jpg
    Screenshot-506.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • thebriamonthebriamon Posts: 377 Member
    I fully respect how anyone else wants to create sims, however realistic or unrealistic they want to make them. I think the variety is pretty awesome. But I guess my unpopular opinion is... I largely don't mind how the sims look. I might tweak a slider here and there. I only just discovered I could change the slider multiplier to give me a larger range, but I don't really use it. The way I typically play is that I'm in *their* world, and so I don't feel compelled to make them super realistic. I do change their hair a lot to CC stuff. So much of the base game hair is just awful and I can't bear to look at it.

I've recently gotten a lot of store content though and I am experimenting with using less and less CC stuff to see how much I can stand it.
    2. I'm not into Story Progression. I like to set up several sims I've made myself and have them bump into each other and form relationships under my own direction. I do not like going over to one sim to set them up, be gone just a sim week or two, come back to the first sim I was playing, and finding that the game gave them some plum townie "girlfriend" and moved her in with him. Well, you know I fixed THAT mess quick, fast, and in a hurry with a break-up and an eviction. Get thee behind me, foul wench! I'll arrange my OWN sims' love lives, thank you very much, game...

6. The movie theater only having one showtime a day was a terrible idea. You can only see a movie at 5 p.m. and that's IT?! What kind of movie theater even RUNS like that?! A real theater running like that would have to sell tickets at, like, $1500 a pop in order to stay in business!! That's just plain ridiculous!!

So, yeah, those are my unpopular opinions...

2. Me neither, I turned it off immediately. Unfortunately the on/off toggle was broken when the game was first released, so you had to make a shortcut to TS3 and edit the games .exe file there while you waited for EA to release a patch that would fix it.

4. Yeah, I know. One of my sims suddenly got 2 stars just from listening to a 5 star singer for a few minutes. It's so crazy and unrealistic you don't know whether to laugh or cry. :D:'(

Have you tried the Door of Life And Death from the Store? The lovely Emmie has her own little way of dealing with both paparazziz and zombies... ;)o:)

6. It sure was. I don't know how many times I have tried to send my sims with or without group or date to watch a movie, only to be met with the message "Come back later" or "Come back tomorrow" (sigh...) :unamused:
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »

You are totally not alone with this unpopular opinion.I didn't play for many years after it came out for this exact reason. I finally did a generational challenge but that meant playing one family in one house. I went back to TS2 because of this annoying feature. And after 10 years of fighting against it, I finally installed the Nrass mod to get control over my neighborhood. AND for the first time in 10 years, I'm actually rotationally playing MY created families.

For me the bolded text is completely incomprehensible. My experience from 8 years of playing Sims 3 is that if you turn off Story progression hardly anything happens in the inactive sims lives, at least not anything major or important. No pregnancies or mysteriously appearing babies, no toddlers being kidnapped, no marriages or divorces, nobody leaving the world, aka being deleted/culled, nobody moving to another house. And if aging is turned off too, nobody will die either.

What could still happen is that:

1) The inactive sims relationship bars changes a little bit up or down.
    2) They get a car if they didn't already have one when you left them (always the Sloppy Jaloppy or The big lemon).
    3) They get a job as your active sims bosses or coworkers.
    4) A sim can drown in one of the swimmingpools, but that's extremely rare, only happened twice for me in 8 years.

That's pretty much it. And these 4 things are all very easy to restore should you not like them.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,988 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    I like the premade houses more than the ones in Sims 4.

I think a lot of people feel that way actually. I mean in the Sims 4 in some cases, EA even left out important things like toilets. You would think since they made a lot few lots per expansion pack in the Sims 4, that they could at least spend a bit more time on them, and make them higher quality than the ones we got in the Sims 3.
    edited October 2019
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    I mean in the Sims 4 in some cases, EA even left out important things like toilets.
    Hmm, I have no idea about Sims 4, but I remember my surprise when I noticed that one of the two bathrooms in the vacation home my family bought in Shang Simla didn't have a door. The house in the mirror position, which is used by townies, has the same issue.
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited October 2019
    I like this thread. I kind of skimmed through the responses since I've seen it so late, but I agree with at least a couple of them.

1. All the way back on the first page, someone made note that they don't often pair sims 'eternally' with their first relationships. I have my sims date around and depending on the sim, may or may not break up one relationship before starting a new one. A lot of times, I end it on the first date and don't look back if my sims are rejected or insulted, but if either of the two happens the other sim always gets an earful! >:) They may even become enemies! On one occasion that normal scenario took a turn. What I thought was a good date ended up with one of those 'meh' responses. Long story short, my sim had to befriend the woman again or not have a relationship with the new baby girl. Oops.

2. I have made a lot of sims in CAS, but for whatever reason, I usually have a hard time playing with them. I'm actually more drawn to pre-made sims, whether they're in the bin or already in whichever world. Generally, I get in the gameplay much easier and the saves tend to last longer. As a side note: I play sims mostly for building.

3. I don't like to see sims age up to elder. I'm actually more likely to delete the entire save than let that happen. I usually get bored after a long period of time and 'forget' about the importance of the family and because of that I don't think I've made it to a second generation. :grimace:

4. Pudding faces aren't that bothersome to me. Creating unique sims is a fun challenge without CC.

@SimsLovinLycan, totally with you about the movie theater! :D
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    For me the bolded text is completely incomprehensible. My experience from 8 years of playing Sims 3 is that if you turn off Story progression hardly anything happens in the inactive sims lives, at least not anything major or important. No pregnancies or mysteriously appearing babies, no toddlers being kidnapped, no marriages or divorces, nobody leaving the world, aka being deleted/culled, nobody moving to another house. And if aging is turned off too, nobody will die either.

I know there was a check box to let your currently played family advance in story and age and the rest of the neighborhood not, but for me, it never worked right. Things happened to my non-played families that I didn't want to happen. I wanted way more control. I should probably do another test game with Nrass turned off to see if anything has changed in a decade but for now, I'm working on trying to mold the game into an updated version of TS2.
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    I know there was a check box to let your currently played family advance in story and age and the rest of the neighborhood not, but for me, it never worked right. Things happened to my non-played families that I didn't want to happen. I wanted way more control. I should probably do another test game with Nrass turned off to see if anything has changed in a decade but for now, I'm working on trying to mold the game into an updated version of TS2.

In Sims 3? When was this? It doesn't sound familiar to me, as far as I know the Aging settings affect the whole town, including the active household, but the Story Progression should only affect the inactive sims, not the household being played at the moment. Are you sure that this checkbox is not in Sims 2 instead?
    You are correct @SuzyCue72. Those two settings are supposed to work exactly as you said. However, when I first started playing TS3 shortly after it came out, they did not work right. Reading the forums nearly a decade ago, it wasn't just me having those problems. Also, I didn't want to stop my entire town from aging, just the family I wasn't playing at the time and that wasn't possible with vanilla settings.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member

1. All the way back on the first page, someone made note that they don't often pair sims 'eternally' with their first relationships. I have my sims date around and depending on the sim, may or may not break up one relationship before starting a new one. A lot of times, I end it on the first date and don't look back if my sims are rejected or insulted, but if either of the two happens the other sim always gets an earful! >:) They may even become enemies! On one occasion that normal scenario took a turn. What I thought was a good date ended up with one of those 'meh' responses. Long story short, my sim had to befriend the woman again or not have a relationship with the new baby girl. Oops.

3. I don't like to see sims age up to elder. I'm actually more likely to delete the entire save than let that happen. I usually get bored after a long period of time and 'forget' about the importance of the family and because of that I don't think I've made it to a second generation. :grimace:

4. Pudding faces aren't that bothersome to me. Creating unique sims is a fun challenge without CC.

@60smusicluvr <--- Love your forum name by the way. I have a few favorite songs from the 60's :blush:

Anyhoo, I awesomed your post because the above 3 things are usually how I play and agree with you on. :)

I love that this thread is still going. :blush:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    @emorrill, :D I thought I was so cool in 2012 spelling it like that. :p Haha. 60s music is my jam. Lately, I've listened more to 80s, though. I guess I'm an old soul. B)
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Mine is: I actually like the celeb system.I think it’s such a neat feature

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top