Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do sims speak Simlish but have English names?

Riddle me this... Bob Pancakes, Bella Goth, Meadow Thorne.. All English names yet sims don't speak English!? :o
giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

Comments

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Because they would be unreadable otherwise?
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Akira Kibo, Baako Jang, Alika Kahananui, etc.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited October 2019
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Akira Kibo, Baako Jang, Alika Kahananui, etc.

Oh. I guess by her name, Venessa Jeong born at San Myshuno and when YA traveled to Del Sol Valley
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    to me would of been better if sims spoke in english or french depending on what language the game is install
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    to me would of been better if sims spoke in english or french depending on what language the game is install

You do realize this game is available in more than two languages, right? The amount of dialogue writing/translating and recording would be monumental even if it was only available in two languages.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

You do realize this game is available in more than two languages, right? The amount of dialogue writing/translating and recording would be monumental even if it was only available in two languages.

Which is why Simlish was invented way back over 20 years ago.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member

How long until conversations repeat themselves and get annoying? I think simlish was invented so such a level of repetition wouldn't occur. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of lines that would have to be localized for every bit of dialogue in every language the game supports.

What would be better is simlish accents. I'm not a game designer so I have no clue how that would work though.

The player is pretty much a god or a force of destiny in the sims so we'd need some way of knowing what's going on without it getting too repetitive. So the stuff we need to know is in whatever language the game is set to while everything else is simlish.

How long until conversations repeat themselves and get annoying? I think simlish was invented so such a level of repetition wouldn't occur. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of lines that would have to be localized for every bit of dialogue in every language the game supports.

What would be better is simlish accents. I'm not a game designer so I have no clue how that would work though.

The player is pretty much a god or a force of destiny in the sims so we'd need some way of knowing what's going on without it getting too repetitive. So the stuff we need to know is in whatever language the game is set to while everything else is simlish.

That too. And imagine how annoying hearing sims talk at speed 2 or 3 would be.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member

I am happy I don't understand what they are saying. That way I can imagine what they are talking about.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    My hubby has a game where they speak in English and boy does it get repetitive!

With simlish I don't tend to listen to exact wording so it never feels repetitive to me.

I guess we could also give our sims simlish names but I think I'll stick with multi cultural for those.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    What would a Simlish name look like?
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• IlkavelleIlkavelle Posts: 41 Member
    something like Daveena Whintdaba maybe :D I don't know :D it's good that Sims don't speak English. And I find it super amusing to listen to popular songs but in Simlish ^^
    My site: SimsQuest | Twitter
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Fun fact -- the Sims have different names in the various official translations. Below is the link to Bella Goth's wiki. Scroll to the bottom to see what she's named around the world.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Bella_Goth
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited October 2019
    Fun fact -- the Sims have different names in the various official translations. Below is the link to Bella Goth's wiki. Scroll to the bottom to see what she's named around the world.

Until The Sims 4 Get Together

at The Sims 4, premade sims from packs worlds, have same naame at all languages

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited October 2019
    @SarahsShady

I would've disliked it if Sims spoke a real language. Simlish favors all nations and ages equally not. However, in order for anything to work and be user-friendly, an understandable language has to be used for the interface at least.

When dealing with products, users, and business, many things must be taken into account. A rigid line of black/white thinking will not benefit anyone when everything comes down to it.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I think the use of Simlish in the Sims games is a stroke of genius. We hear them speak and can imagine what they are saying that fits with what our story is. We hear the same phrases over and over, but because it's gibirish, it doesn't become repetitive.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    If you want simlish names you could always make them up and give them to your sims.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited October 2019
    leo3487 wrote: »

Until The Sims 4 Get Together

at The Sims 4, premade sims from packs worlds, have same name at all languages

To be fair, my name is my name. And your name is your name. We don't change them no matter who is speaking, though how it's written might change. So, it was probably a nice, but unnecessary, gesture to ever change their names.

On a related note, I've met a few people with English first names for whom English isn't their native language. I also have a best friend named Consuelo who speaks no Spanish whatsoever. It happens.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think the current set up works. The sims can be as connected to this world, or not, as you want them to be.

I play them as their own integrated world in which the "worlds" are regions or places. They do not live in our world but I draw on influences from this world for their back stories. Sometimes I refer to real places in their back stories but their fictitious world is entirely where they live.

I like that many of the worlds could broadly be a number of places in ours.

Is Sulani Fiji, Hawaii or a place that doesn't exist or one I haven't thought of? You decide. Is San Myshuno Asia, San Fran, NYC or something else?
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Simlish names! what a great idea! If it's OK I'm going to start a separate post about this.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I think the current set up works. The sims can be as connected to this world, or not, as you want them to be.

I play them as their own integrated world in which the "worlds" are regions or places. They do not live in our world but I draw on influences from this world for their back stories. Sometimes I refer to real places in their back stories but their fictitious world is entirely where they live.

I like that many of the worlds could broadly be a number of places in ours.

Is Sulani Fiji, Hawaii or a place that doesn't exist or one I haven't thought of? You decide. Is San Myshuno Asia, San Fran, NYC or something else?

Maybe it's San Fransokyo!
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • RhiLTCRhiLTC Posts: 20 Member
    Simlish is handy 1) because it's a lot easier to tune out the "words" so it doesn't feel like someone is saying the exact same thing over and over again and 2) It leaves room for interpretation about what exactly the sim is saying, rather than having to come up with some generic statement that is somehow supposed to match all situations.
    You just don't need those feature with names, and so it makes more sense for them to be relatable. There's another discussion here about how Sims make strange "flirt" gestures that break from reality -- again, sometimes a feature needs to provide realism, and other times it needs to make the game more functional.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »
    What would a Simlish name look like?

Shloopie Attuney? XD

Imagine a sim practising a speech in fron of the mirror in your language, and every 20 seconds he's repeating the same stuff. I'd turn sound off. Simlish just blends in to the "background noise"
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Because Simlish is easier to code for the speech worldwide. I wouldn't mind Sims having different names than just English ones and more cultures. You can actually copy and paste different names with the accents on them. I've done it with French names before. I actually would be curious if it worked for language characters too like Chinese and Japanese.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller