Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Windows 7-10 Fixes

Comments

• ReittisReittis Posts: 21 Member
    Game not start. Error message: "An error has occurred. The application will now exit.". I did it by copying those 32-bit files to the Sims2EP9.exe folder of The Sims 2.
    > @Reittis said:
    > Game not start. Error message: "An error has occurred. The application will now exit.". I did it by copying those 32-bit files to the Sims2EP9.exe folder of The Sims 2.

My system

- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AM4, 3.7 GHz, 8-core
    - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX Red, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.2V
    - Corsair 750W RM750x (2018), power, 80 Plus Gold
    - Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium Edition, ATX -miditocase
    - ASRock X470 Master SLI, ATX-motherboard
    - Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+ graphics card, 8GB HBM2
    - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    - Asus 27" MG279Q IPS-monitor WQHD, 144Hz, Freesync, pivot, DP/mDP/2xHDMI/USB 3.0
  • MoneyquarterMoneyquarter Posts: 8 New Member
    > @Reittis said:
    > > @Reittis said:
    > > Game not start. Error message: "An error has occurred. The application will now exit.". I did it by copying those 32-bit files to the Sims2EP9.exe folder of The Sims 2.
    >
    > My system
    >
    > - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AM4, 3.7 GHz, 8-core
    > - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX Red, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.2V
    > - Corsair 750W RM750x (2018), power, 80 Plus Gold
    > - Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium Edition, ATX -miditocase
    > - ASRock X470 Master SLI, ATX-motherboard
    > - Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+ graphics card, 8GB HBM2
    > - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    > - Asus 27" MG279Q IPS-monitor WQHD, 144Hz, Freesync, pivot, DP/mDP/2xHDMI/USB 3.0

Can you upload the log files somewhere? Particularly Sims2EP9_d3d9.txt?
    > @Moneyquarter said:
    > > @Reittis said:
    > > > @Reittis said:
    > > > Game not start. Error message: "An error has occurred. The application will now exit.". I did it by copying those 32-bit files to the Sims2EP9.exe folder of The Sims 2.
    > >
    > > My system
    > >
    > > - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AM4, 3.7 GHz, 8-core
    > > - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX Red, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.2V
    > > - Corsair 750W RM750x (2018), power, 80 Plus Gold
    > > - Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium Edition, ATX -miditocase
    > > - ASRock X470 Master SLI, ATX-motherboard
    > > - Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+ graphics card, 8GB HBM2
    > > - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    > > - Asus 27" MG279Q IPS-monitor WQHD, 144Hz, Freesync, pivot, DP/mDP/2xHDMI/USB 3.0
    >
    > Can you upload the log files somewhere? Particularly Sims2EP9_d3d9.txt?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bvveq329dyqidj9/AACxG6UgGIrWzrMXCu0ym7FOa?dl=0
  • Choco446Choco446 Posts: 25 Member
    The Sims 2 UC is so laggy on my computer and I have no idea why. I'm pretty sure my computer should be able to run the game fun as it runs all the other sims games fine.
    > @Choco446 said:
    > The Sims 2 UC is so laggy on my computer and I have no idea why. I'm pretty sure my computer should be able to run the game fun as it runs all the other sims games fine.

Computer is not problem. Windows 10 and The Sims 2 compatibility is. The game work very well Windows XP, Vista and 7 versions.
    Reittis wrote: »
    Computer is not problem. Windows 10 and The Sims 2 compatibility is. The game work very well Windows XP, Vista and 7 versions.

Okay. I'll run the game with these settings and see how it goes!
    Choco446 wrote: »
    Reittis wrote: »

Okay. I'll run the game with these settings and see how it goes!

I ran the game in Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) and it definitely help fix a lot of the lag. But it's still extremely laggy when I go into 3x speed. Is there any way to fix/improve this?
  • AcidfairyyyAcidfairyyy Posts: 45 Member
    Hi, I'm trying to get Sims 2 to run on a new laptop. I've amended the graphics rules file but when I used the edge smoothing slider, it's not actually smoothing the edges. This didn't happen on my old laptop. Any ideas on how to fix it?
    > @Reittis said:
    > > @Moneyquarter said:
    > > > @Reittis said:
    > > > > @Reittis said:
    > > > > Game not start. Error message: "An error has occurred. The application will now exit.". I did it by copying those 32-bit files to the Sims2EP9.exe folder of The Sims 2.
    > > >
    > > > My system
    > > >
    > > > - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AM4, 3.7 GHz, 8-core
    > > > - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX Red, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.2V
    > > > - Corsair 750W RM750x (2018), power, 80 Plus Gold
    > > > - Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium Edition, ATX -miditocase
    > > > - ASRock X470 Master SLI, ATX-motherboard
    > > > - Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+ graphics card, 8GB HBM2
    > > > - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    > > > - Asus 27" MG279Q IPS-monitor WQHD, 144Hz, Freesync, pivot, DP/mDP/2xHDMI/USB 3.0
    > >
    > > Can you upload the log files somewhere? Particularly Sims2EP9_d3d9.txt?
    >
    > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bvveq329dyqidj9/AACxG6UgGIrWzrMXCu0ym7FOa?dl=0

I've updated the guide. Could you try removing dxgi.dll?
    Also, could you redownload D9VK? An earlier guide erroneously linked to 0.21. Also, I've updated my guide greatly, if you want to take a look at it again. If you're still having troubles, hit up the pleasantsims discord's #sims-2-help channel and mention @crazysim.
    OMG Its working now after years of trying! Thanks a lot! I hope the upcoming Windows 10 feature updates won't break the game again.
    > @Reittis said:
    > OMG Its working now after years of trying! Thanks a lot! I hope the upcoming Windows 10 feature updates won't break the game again.

So i put the latest d3d9.dll, dxvk.conf files in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9 \TSB" folder and changed the graphics settings as instructed by Graphics Rules Maker. (Force texture memory 128 Mb).
    I'm glad to see it is working for you! I strongly believe the D9VK approach is the way to go in 2020 and beyond fo running Sims 2 on modern Windows 10 systems.
    > @Moneyquarter said:
    > I'm glad to see it is working for you! I strongly believe the D9VK approach is the way to go in 2020 and beyond fo running Sims 2 on modern Windows 10 systems.

I hope so. I previously tried installing The Sims 2 on Virtualbox in XP and 7 system but the Virtualbox does not support DirectX so the installation failed. Fortunately, I Have an old XP machine in the closet where I installed Origin offline and it works well with The Sims 2. This is for a "bad day" if the game stops working in future versions of Windows 10.
  • SimsersionSimsersion Posts: 51 Member
    I simply installed the disks on my Windows 10 desktop and everything ran fine
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    So have finally got my new windows 10 laptop and bought an external disc drive. I installed sims 2 base game and apart from
    black boxes under the sims it looks OK. But now I'm not sure what to do next, do I install the rest of the game before I patch and do I need the graphic rule maker if I patch the game?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • SpunkyB21SpunkyB21 Posts: 6 New Member
    I've tried everything I could find to fix the screen resolution for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, and no matter what I do, the screen settings are forever stuck on 800x600. I've tried using the 4GB Patch, I've tried the Graphics Rules Maker, I've tried manually editing the Graphics Rules SGR file in literally every EP, and it does nothing. I'm using Windows 10 64bit, with a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. Also, when I first installed the game, the graphics didn't do the pink flashing thing, but now it does.

Anyone know any tricks that aren't found in a Google search that could help me? I've been looking for hours and have tried everything I've found, with no progress.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited March 2020
    I have the same graphics card. For me the GR maker worked, but if it doesn't work, try editing it manually.
    You'll need the Graphic rules.sgr file located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config (if you have the UC). (do make a backup of it though, in case).

Once there, search for "option ScreenModeResolution" (without the bracket things). if my calculations are correct, you can see setting $High" there, underneath there, you can change the resolution to your highest (for me it's 1920x1080) at both so it says like this:

setting $High
    uintProp maxResWidth 1920
    uintProp maxResHeight 1080
    uintProp defaultResWidth 1920
    uintProp defaultResHeight 1080
    > @Jean said:
    > I have the same graphics card. For me the GR maker worked, but if it doesn't work, try editing it manually.
    > You'll need the Graphic rules.sgr file located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config (if you have the UC). (do make a backup of it though, in case).
    >
    > Once there, search for "option ScreenModeResolution" (without the bracket things). if my calculations are correct, you can see setting $High" there, underneath there, you can change the resolution to your highest (for me it's 1920x1080) at both so it says like this:
    >
    > setting $High
    > uintProp maxResWidth 1920
    > uintProp maxResHeight 1080
    > uintProp defaultResWidth 1920
    > uintProp defaultResHeight 1080

I did all of that already. No matter what I do, the only screen resolution I get in the game is 800x600. Nothing else is available.
    > @SpunkyB21 said:
    > > @Jean said:
    > > I have the same graphics card. For me the GR maker worked, but if it doesn't work, try editing it manually.
    > > You'll need the Graphic rules.sgr file located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config (if you have the UC). (do make a backup of it though, in case).
    > >
    > > Once there, search for "option ScreenModeResolution" (without the bracket things). if my calculations are correct, you can see setting $High" there, underneath there, you can change the resolution to your highest (for me it's 1920x1080) at both so it says like this:
    > >
    > > setting $High
    > > uintProp maxResWidth 1920
    > > uintProp maxResHeight 1080
    > > uintProp defaultResWidth 1920
    > > uintProp defaultResHeight 1080
    >
    > I did all of that already. No matter what I do, the only screen resolution I get in the game is 800x600. Nothing else is available.

OMG I finally fixed it!! I used this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19JMr-FQSU3AlF7Kyvcrr7awTiHBDQSUNLG6qfaI6rOs/edit# and followed the instructions to the letter. Then, I still had the screen resolution issue, so I adjusted the Graphic Rules SGR, ONLY changing the maxResWidth and maxResHeight to my monitor's settings. Now, I'm getting the options in game to change my screen resolution.
    Now I've come across a new issue. Anyone know why this is happening?? https://gyazo.com/6a3d91ca7e23c6c20438eb434ee7360a

It's actually flickering WAY faster in real time than it is on the GIF, and I have the settings window closed (as you can see in the menu, it's not highlighted).

Other things flicker like that, and/or create a "trail" of themselves, too (ie. When I tell a sim to do something, and the little square moves up into the queue, it leaves a trail of the square behind it, if that makes any sense to anyone.) These trails also flicker. https://gyazo.com/10dc01000d0fc33098337c939db68373
    > @SpunkyB21 said:
    > Now I've come across a new issue. Anyone know why this is happening?? https://gyazo.com/6a3d91ca7e23c6c20438eb434ee7360a
    >
    > It's actually flickering WAY faster in real time than it is on the GIF, and I have the settings window closed (as you can see in the menu, it's not highlighted).
    >
    > Other things flicker like that, and/or create a "trail" of themselves, too (ie. When I tell a sim to do something, and the little square moves up into the queue, it leaves a trail of the square behind it, if that makes any sense to anyone.) These trails also flicker. https://gyazo.com/10dc01000d0fc33098337c939db68373

Never mind! I tweaked the Graphics Rules SGR and it fixed the glitching. All is running smoothly now!
    Can I only backup Neighborhoods and the houses what I already have built without the Sims?
  • djavor1992djavor1992 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone can help me. I have finally saved enough money to buy a new laptop. I want to play the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on it. I was wondering whether i would be able to run it smoothly with these specifications:
    Intel Core i5-10210U Processor ( 1.60GHz 6MB )
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64
    Display Type
    15.6"FHD IPS Glare 1920x1080
    Storage
    512GB SSD M.2
    Warranty
    One year Depot or Carry-in
    AC Adapter
    65W
    Graphics
    Intel UHD Graphics

I was specifically wondering whether the Intel UHD Graphics card would be able to run it with no major glitches? I haven't heard much about this one, but I know the Geoforce and NVIDIA are really good. Would it be better to get ones with those Graphics cards instead?

Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top