Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of magic. Thank you for a great pack.

Realm of magic is so far my favorite game pack. For the supernatural packs they really go all out. In my opinion this is just what this game needed to spice things up. And just in time for fall. I just wanted to cheer on the creators to put in this much effort into the next pack because this one is a step above some in my opinion. The last stuff pack was impressive with its new photography career too - for a stuff pack they did a lot. I have to say island living wasnt one of my favorites. It wasn't bad but i felt it lacked gameplay and focused more on the scenery/background. But with realm of magic and the latest stuff pack I know what the creators are capable of. And I just wanted to shout out a great job on this one.
I really liked vampires too but this one is even better. Im really hoping the next gamepack incorporates as much fun as this one did. I would be suprised if people don't love this pack.

Comments

• Not only is it my favorite game pack, it's my favorite Sims release ,everrrr. Serious.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    I agree, though I don't care for witches much I feel like it was pretty good. just feel like it's too easy to progress up the ranks for me. I'd prefer it if it took a while to get to virtouso instead of being able to do it in under an hour without any cheats.
  • angie0422angie0422 Posts: 2 New Member
    I agree! but i need help on something, the spell herbio isnt showing up on any plants and such! and ive unlocked it :/ anyone know why?
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I agree, though I don't care for witches much I feel like it was pretty good. just feel like it's too easy to progress up the ranks for me. I'd prefer it if it took a while to get to virtouso instead of being able to do it in under an hour without any cheats.

How do people do this in under an hour??? I really don't get it :joy:
  • Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

idk, I managed to get to virtuso in the first hour (or two maybe. I'm pretty sure it was only an hour though.) of playing. then again I did spend most of the time just constantly dueling and casting random spells + I have the trait that makes it so you don't need sleep as much.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Grinding. In most cases it's just doing nothing but powering through and ignoring everything else.
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited September 2019
    angie0422 wrote: »
    I agree! but i need help on something, the spell herbio isnt showing up on any plants and such! and ive unlocked it :/ anyone know why?
    Click on the ground outside and then under spells.

Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    I came in with meagre expectations and still was sorely disappointed.

With two sims, one with the clumsy trait, I was still able to max out everything in under 2 hours. I wasn’t even grinding either. During this I explored both towns and visited back home regularly to work/earn simoleons and work on my garden. I don’t use cheats for needs or money.

Spellcaster lifestate makes everything too easy and baby mode. I can just spawn food and instantly shower now. If I don’t want to do that, it only takes a single apple to create a potion that refills my needs completely. You learn this potion when you become a Spellcaster; so at the first rank. I have no need to learn handiness as I can instantly repair things (another thing I learnt at first rank).

It also wasn’t hard or grating to become a Spellcaster in the first place. Collect 7 motes that are all conveniently next to each other and BAM you can cast magic. Nothing brought me back to the shop quarters as I could find familiars in bookshelves for some reason, or challenge townies for artefacts.

A lot of the animations/spells/potions are just recycled content and that irritates me a great deal as I feel the developers have run out of ideas.

Overall? I greatly regret buying this pack for many reasons and wish I had waited to see reviews or the mods needed to run it properly.

The only redeeming feature is the music and some of the clothing items. That’s legitimately it.

I’m glad you enjoyed it, but I can’t stress it enough that it is not surprising people hate it.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    It's definitely a great pack, one of the better ones. It shows that they can when they want to. :smile:
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I’m enjoying it as well! It’s adding an element of gameplay and storytelling that I’m finding amusing! I’m still rank two lol! I’m not trying to Zerg thru it. I switch between households often. The witch I made was added to an existing family as a long lost aunt. She’s now reunited with her family and just spent winterfest with them. Was a great party with all the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Tho I felt bad for my sim teen who broke out with acne (I use slice of life and meaningful stories mod). I’m finding the pack very entertaining. So agreed OP! Kudos to the dev team 😊
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm enjoying it as well. I just started playing a spell caster last night.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I was interested in this pack. However, after many reviews by many well known players (not just game changers) they have all said how really, really easy it is to level up (unlike Vampires) how little the things to level up make any impact, such as you could just do this or that with what is already in game etc. I don't know, I love magic in The Sims series, and was expecting a little more challenge and objects and assets that weren't just recycled. And I really don't like gameplay (with powers etc.) to be so darn easy as it was shown to fans in many different video reviews. Replay might not be worth it if it's not as challenging as The Sims Medieval magic or TS2, TS3 magic. And I guess I know it's not going to be as challenging as Makin' Magic. The easy peasy was the reason I decided against it, especially with assets recycled already in game, and that's very sad to me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • meljonesmeljones Posts: 45 Member
    I'm not finding it too easy at all. I am jumping between 2 different spellcasting families but it is taking me a long time to level up. My spellcasting sisters both just reached acolyte. My single spellasting male is really struggling. Part of that is because I don't quite have it all figured out. He kept losing magic duels. When I switched from the leafbat familiar to the owl he began to win. I don't know if that is the real reason he started winning or if it was a coincidence. He has a lot to learn and so do I.
  • Douggie123Douggie123 Posts: 2 New Member
    When is this pack coming to console
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Douggie123 wrote: »
    When is this pack coming to console

Just a couple more days! Console release is October 15!
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    meljones wrote: »
    I'm not finding it too easy at all. I am jumping between 2 different spellcasting families but it is taking me a long time to level up. My spellcasting sisters both just reached acolyte. My single spellasting male is really struggling. Part of that is because I don't quite have it all figured out. He kept losing magic duels. When I switched from the leafbat familiar to the owl he began to win. I don't know if that is the real reason he started winning or if it was a coincidence. He has a lot to learn and so do I.

Agreed! I only was able to progress swiftly on Sims who did literally nothing else, and even with them I didn't unlock all available perks, not see every potion effect, or spell, or spell failure, or potion failure, or curse.

Is it easy to become a Spellcaster? Yes, very much so, and I feel that's a good thing for those wanting to. Is it easy to master Spellcasting? No, it will take you time, especially if you are also managing a household, a career, or school.

I find it an excellend addition to my regular Sims 4 play. It was entertaining on its own, with Sims I made just for it to get a feel for the systems before I brought it into my main save. But it really shines as that something extra, on top of.

My second gen spare is my family's main Spellcaster, and right now he's living a bachelor life (with a live-in sweetie who is also a caster) in Glimmerbrook. But he also gave the Rite of Ascension to his nephew, my 3rd gen heir, and to nephew's aunt on the other side, Cassandra Goth, who now lives as a governess/spare adult in the heir household. This has made an additional reason for different households in my main save to interact more, and in different ways.

Are there things I might have liked differently? Sure. Am I enjoying it? Absolutely. I am really picky about what I spend my fun money on, but Realm of Magic was more than worth the price.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I really like the game. I enjoy magic in my sims lives, I like the spellbook with a list of everything my sim has done so far. The new world is beautiful, both the remote woodland Glimmerbrook as well as the magic realm with it's unique look.

There are a few things that could have been better like some gameplay or cc directed towards children and less townies being changed into spellcasters. This is the difference between a good pack and a great one. But the positives outweigh the negatives so I enjoy having realm of magic.

I still hope we will get a patch to allow us to sell potions. I expected this to be addressed in the last patch, but realise it might be a long wait.

As for the difficulty, I am fine with it. I enjoy playing with the spells and am happy I don't have to grind endlessly to learn them.

For me this pack, even with it's flaws, is the best pack we received this year. When I look at what we got with this pack, I really hope we will get a werewolf game pack before the sims 4 ends.
  • StuStuieStuStuie Posts: 455 Member
    I haven't got it yet as I am waiting for it to go on sale but I am excited.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I think it's a great pack and it enriches my gameplay experience. I don't think it's too easy because it doesn't have to be. Sure, as an option, you can take all of the perks that make it easy to advance, but I skip all of those and just take the ones that enhance the gameplay the way I want. I'm pretty sure that's what was intended. I have several Spellcaster households and some seem to level faster than others, but I still don't have any that have reached the top yet. I tend to give them the spell/potion tree that matches their personality or theme, or specific spells that I want them to have through finding tomes.

I find it to be a very flexible system that allows for creating specific types of Casters, which is what I wanted. I have Witches who ride brooms and make potions and cast practical spells, I have a Voodoo Mambo who makes hexed potions and uses Mischief magic, I have a Dr. Strange type of genius Mage who uses Untamed but will master the three paths, though not potions. I have a triad of Witches, the Hecate, who will each specialize in a different path and all use the cauldron together. I have a pair of twin sisters who are opposites who will have different types of magic, one who is a "natural" and magic comes easy to her but she doesn't care as much about it, the other who has to study hard to get power and resents and hates her sister but wants to be "great". Then I have a "street mage" who is a young, struggling, erratic, wild card who does bad things, lives in the city in a lousy apartment, causes trouble, and is going to be very disruptive with her power, but she's not allowed to go to the Realm to learn, she has to learn on her own. Her first two spells are ZipZap and Inferniate so, oh boy, she's off to a crazy start. So far, she's my favorite. >:)

I feel like the flexibility of the magic system has kind of confused some people. It's not a system to "conquer", it's a system to incorporate into your own style of gameplay. If you want to create a bunch of Harry Potter based teens who each have different types of magic, you can do that. If you want to to create the Ultimate Sorcerer with All Of The Power, you can do that too. If you want a Hedge Witch who lives in a little shack, gathering ingredients and brewing potions but not casting spells, you can have it. You can make it easy or challenging. I think some people are only focusing on what it isn't, rather than what is is. Is the glass half full or half empty?

I do think, though, that a pack can only be as good as the base game allows it, and I definitely think the base is long overdue for some major updates and enrichment and "quality of life" adjustments. And this is where I believe most of the criticism is actually coming from. Because as a pack for Sims 4, in itself, it's very good. But if the base game had the various improvements it needs, the pack would be amazing.
    #Team Occult
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    In one of my saves I have a school where the husband is a Master Vampire and the wife is a top level spellcaster. I find that the vampires are actually easier to level up compared to spellcasters, but maybe it's just the way I'm playing it. I rarely bring them to the Realm of Magic and have them only learn one branch of magic by reading the tomes and practicing with their teacher. Practical is the easiest to learn because there are plenty of opportunities to use its spells on a daily basis. Mischief is the hardest unless you don't mind everyone in the household hating your sim :D .
  • Douggie123Douggie123 Posts: 2 New Member
    Just a couple more days! Console release is October 15![/quote]

Do we know how much it is
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I love this pack to bits and pieces <3

Sure I do complain about a few things that I really wish had been incorporated, like a lot-trait so that muggle sims can have a spellcaster child, but all in all this has me playing every single days. I just love having spellcasters in my game. Currently I am playing a couple of sims in Sulani, they are trying to juggle paying the bills for the large house the guy inherited, jobs and training magic on the sly. It is so much fun! Recommend this pack to anyone who is even the tiniest bit interested in occult play. Or if you just want a world that is great for historical saves and like the build-stuff and the clothes. Honestly, that stuff was great too.

Ohh... I love the magical realm, can we have more fantastical places. Pretty please one such place that we can live in. And werewolves. We got magic and vampires so now I would like to cross them of the list.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    It is a fun pack, I'll give it that much, but I still wish they would've included children. Even if they couldn't learn spells, kids should be able to at least study magic and if they are born between two spellcasters, hold powers to use when they are teens. I enjoy learning new spells and the Magic Realm is just beautiful to look at.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    My teen is progressing very slowly - I'm trying to pack as much into the weekend as possible. Saturday was mostly spent at the Magic Realm, both to complete that aspiration goal and to get her some training from the practical magic sage. (Her mothers also needed to learn the last mischief and untamed spells - they'd long ago mastered potions and practical.) Monday is project day at school, so Sunday will be a big magic day when I can get back to the game.

I discovered that another Sim can help with making potions, though this was a bit of a disaster on the second potion - it failed and everyone in the room passed out from the fumes. Potions take much less time this way, but it doesn't help a Sim to level up faster. Only spellcasting training seems to speed up the learning process. And Sims don't get much fun from training (though they do get social when being trained), so I have to balance the magical stuff with playing on the computer or chess. (They do get fun from reading tomes, at least.) They can also have a conversation while experimenting with potions together.

I wish there were a final rank they could obtain - Helly and Aga have learnt every spell and potion, and Helly has maxed out her points, so it would nice if the game would give her a special title (even if it didn't come with any perks) - Mage, perhaps.
    I just want things to match. :'(