Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Catalina Fix it

candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
EA better fix it because I am finish with this I just lost everything that I was working on, I am sick of you controlling us I am done wasted my days I put my file back it was gone

Leave it out with the swearing, I appreciate you're frustrated but there is zero need to break the forum rules, edited title. ~Rtas
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    I'm sensing a bit of hostility here. You don't like plums? What's up?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Catalina?
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    If you do not like the game, stop frothing at the mouth and uninstall it and move on.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Catalina?

OS X Catalina (Or Mac OS, or whatever they call it these days). A lot of players apparently have a bug with the latest OS X and The Sims 4
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2019
    Macs are terrible for games. I can't even understand why people even buy them. :D
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Because gaming isn't the only thing a computer is good for.

For what it's worth though, short of my Macbook currently having issues with the OS update in general (which I suspect is related to something other than TS4), it ran the game just fine even despite being several years old.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I would think you need to take Catalina problems up with Mac not EA - seeing Catalina things is a MAC thing and not an EA or even other equipment thing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I'm sorry, I totally misunderstood what you meant by Catalina (an island I have visited many times in my youth that is 26 miles off the coast of Southern California). I thought you were having issues with Sulani, as a result. So glad others clarified what you meant. You're very steamed and it's easy to get your thoughts all jumbled when writing in such a state.

I feel your pain. When something like this happens, blows up in your face, it can take the joy you've always experienced playing this silly game, right out of your memory. It becomes a tangled wad of barbed-wire and frustration.

Did you make a backup of your game, prior to the patch? If not, do make it a practice. That can solve many of your woes. I'm very thankful that @Bonxie over at the MCCC mod help thread reminded all of us to do so. Also, making a copy of your saves and Tray folders is wise, too. Your games reside in the saves folder, your Sims and builds in the Tray. Many a time a copied saves folder has rescued my Sim.

Hope you can get your current issue solved.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    I also think you should contact mac about the problem or go with your mac to an apple store in your area where they could help you with the problem so i fully agree with @Writin_Reg on this one ea would not be able to help you solve this only a mac tech can help you or staff at the apple store
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    Pretty sure people in an Apple Store wouldn't know what to do about the game crash unless they're also familiar with TS4 on the code level.

The troubleshooting guide on AHQ has helped (with some exceptions, since not all systems are the same). And the team is working on a more reliable fix.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    there there
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but here it is.
    Origin wouldn't work on my computer, so I updated to Catalina thinking it would help. Then it worked, but my game crashed constantly and was unplayable. I had to delete my Sims 4 folder (which made me lose months of gameplay and I was really upset) and go into the newly generated SIms 4 folder and delete a folder called "EAWebkit cache".
    After that my game was fine. I haven't had any problems and it actually runs better than it previously did.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    Ooh, I'm gonna try that, @lisamwitt, haven't heard that tip yet.

Mine still keeps not starting at times but at least I have several backups of my saves (silver linings, I guess)
    Ooh, I'm gonna try that, @lisamwitt, haven't heard that tip yet.

Mine still keeps not starting at times but at least I have several backups of my saves (silver linings, I guess)

I hope it works for you.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Origin wouldn't work on my computer, so I updated to Catalina thinking it would help. Then it worked, but my game crashed constantly and was unplayable. I had to delete my Sims 4 folder (which made me lose months of gameplay and I was really upset) and go into the newly generated SIms 4 folder and delete a folder called "EAWebkit cache".
    After that my game was fine. I haven't had any problems and it actually runs better than it previously did.

You deleted entire folder including your save files? Why is that? Didn't Nick only told us to delete EaWebkit cache?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited October 2019
    izecson wrote: »

You deleted entire folder including your save files? Why is that? Didn't Nick only told us to delete EaWebkit cache?

I don't know who Nick is.*shrug*
    Last time my game crashed three days ago, I looked at the report and saw that EAWebkit was causing an error and deleted it. Then I came in the forum to tell someone in the thread that I was commenting in at the time https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17273982#Comment_17273982.
    Then I saw this post today, and mentioned it here.

As for why I deleted my whole folder, deleting the Sims 4 folder and letting the game generate a new one is commonly the first piece of advice given, because it often works. It allows the game to start fresh with no old, possibly corrupted files. Then after it generates a new folder, you can try putting your saves into the new folder to see if they load up properly. As long as they aren't corrupted, you can. (Mine was corrupted, so it was lost).
    This bit of advice has actually applied since at least Sims 2. It's not all that weird.

Last time my game crashed three days ago, I looked at the report and saw that EAWebkit was causing an error and deleted it. Then I came in the forum to tell someone in the thread that I was commenting in at the time https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17273982#Comment_17273982.

As for why I deleted my whole folder, deleting the Sims 4 folder and letting the game generate a new one is commonly the first piece of advice given, because it often works. It allows the game to start fresh with no old, possibly corrupted files. Then after it generates a new folder, you can try putting your saves into the new folder to see if they load up properly. As long as they aren't corrupted, you can. (Mine was corrupted, so it was lost).
    This bit of advice has actually applied since at least Sims 2. It's not all that weird.

he's simguru who focused on fixing bugs and sims related technical issue, yeah I know about deleting generating a document folder thing, but your statement earlier about losing months of gameplay had me wondering that you also deleted your saves folder permanently and let the game literally start fresh from the beginning, that's just odd.
    ihavemultiplegamertags

he's simguru who focused on fixing bugs and sims related technical issue, yeah I know about deleting generating a document folder thing, but your statement earlier about losing months of gameplay had me wondering that you also deleted your saves folder permanently and let the game literally start fresh from the beginning, that's just odd.

Ah, ok. I hadn't seen his post, i just figured it out on my own. It's not odd, the advice to delete the folder and let the game generate a new one has been advised since at least Sims 2. And when I put my saves back in, I discovered they were corrupted, so that's why I lost them. Hopefully other players will have better luck and not lose theirs.

Ah, ok. I hadn't seen his post, i just figured it out on my own. It's not odd, the advice to delete the folder and let the game generate a new one has been advised since at least Sims 2. And when I put my saves back in, I discovered they were corrupted, so that's why I lost them. Hopefully other players will have better luck and not lose theirs.

oh, that's too bad. I know how it feels to lose months of gameplay or worse losing the sims itself and no trace of them in tray folder.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Just don't play the game until it's fixed, which is probably like never. :D So good luck.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    oh, that's too bad. I know how it feels to lose months of gameplay or worse losing the sims itself and no trace of them in tray folder.

That's the worst part. My Sim was nearly 200 "years" old and had nearly every skill, and had fulfilled most of the aspirations (for the packs I own currently). I've never spent that long on one sim before.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Catalina comes with updated security and permissions. The game is butting heads with these updates. Therefore the game needs updating. EA are aware of this and are working on it, as can be seen in this thread on the issues at Answers HQ - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Info-The-Sims-4-macOS-Catalina-Troubleshooting/m-p/8307783#M21311
    apple-signature.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Macs are terrible for games. I can't even understand why people even buy them. :D

I can't even understand why people buy Windows PCs. Isn't freedom of choice a wonderful thing :)
    apple-signature.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2019

I can't even understand why people buy Windows PCs. Isn't freedom of choice a wonderful thing :)

Indeed it is. People are free to choose all the bad computers they want but really shouldn't be surprised when games come into problems with them. While I am sure that Macs are good for somethings gaming just isn't one of them and it's a well known fact. I'm honestly not trying to be unsympathetic here. I would be upset too if I couldn't play the Sims 4. Hopefully the issues people are having will get fixed sometime soon.
    edited October 2019

Indeed it is. People are free to choose all the bad computers they want but really shouldn't be surprised when games come into problems with them. While I am sure that Macs are good for somethings gaming just isn't one of them and it's a well known fact. I'm honestly not trying to be unsympathetic here. I would be upset too if I couldn't play the Sims 4. Hopefully the issues people are having will get fixed sometime soon.

I have a Mac for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with this game. But, as it happens my game runs very well. I had a blip, and fixed it myself, and now my game runs better than it did since before the last update.
    There's no reason to criticize people's choice of computer. If you are only playing one or two games, then any computer that meets the requirements is perfectly fine. My computer actually exceeds the requirements.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on