Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New computer trying to install all Sims 3 to D Drive

LindaluLindalu Posts: 684 Member
Tried googling but was not my situation. I have a new HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-0109. The C drive is an SSD, 256GB. I wish to install all my Sims CD’s to the D drive, 2 TB. I will patch to v1.67 and do not want Origin. Do I need to first prepare the D drive by creating a user folder and or Program File folder? With The first base disk, I hoped to “custom install” so that I may guide to drive D. Can’t find anywhere for it to allow me to custom install. Are there specific walkthrough instructions on how to prepare the D drive and install everything there? Would all added custom content from the launcher later also automatically go in D drive in a documents folder. Must any part of Sims install go to the C drive at all? I’d be very grateful for specific explanation. Do I remove the user folder from C drive. So many questions, sigh. Thanks

Comments

• CororonCororon Posts: 4,275 Member
    I created a folder called "Sims 3" on my D: drive, and when I installed from the DVD's I created new folders for each of the EP's and SP's. You will have to manually change the destination for every SP/SP you install.

All the CC and downloaded content goes into the Electronic Arts -> Sims 3 folder in Documents on C:, same as where all your saves, screenshots and the rest of those folders are. That folder has to be on C: and will automatically go there even if you install the game on D:.

I installed my game recently and asked questions on NRaas:

https://www.nraas.net/community/chatterbox/topic7827

https://www.nraas.net/community/chatterbox/topic7840

Remember to deny installing EA Download Manager and Origin.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited October 2019
    Okay, this is a lot to chew through, but I'll try my best.

1. It is possible to install your games to any drive you wish. I made a folder in my E drive to act as a point of installation for all Sims games (2, 3, and 4), although you could just guide the installer to your D Drive alone and it will create a "The Sims 3" folder, anyway. But I like to keep them organized in their own little home, so I gave them a folder where they can all live in harmony. :lol:

2. I'm not sure why @Cororon chooses to make new folders for each EP and SP, but I just want to point out that you don't need to do this. When you install the base game and all of the expansions/stuff packs/etc, you just choose the same installation point (your D Drive itself, or a folder you made in it for The Sims) and the installation will detect The Sims 3 folder's existence and all of the EPs and SPs will coexist in the same "The Sims 3" folder as the base game data. Example of my installation:
    c4u5Mfh.jpg
    (And, yes, my general "Sims" installation folder is called "theorphanage" :lol: )

3. In the installation process, it gives you the option of choosing the installation destination. It's by default set to your C Drive, but you can hit "browse" next to it and direct it to your D Drive. I'll try to find something to install to provide an example pic lol But it might take a sec. Edit: As promised, an example:
    AheVgoG.jpg
    As you can see, every program has that default installation location. You can hit "browse" and navigate to your D Drive and whatever folder you want it to be installed in. If you don't select a folder, it will just create a "The Sims 3" folder to install itself to.

4. Custom Content from the launcher is apart of your User files and not the game files. Follow the instructions here to change the location of your user folders to your D Drive: https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/ Any game installed anywhere on your computer will be able to find your user folders, so you don't have to worry about what location you keep them in. And you won't have to delete your current user folders for TS3.
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why @Cororon chooses to make new folders for each EP and SP, but I just want to point out that you don't need to do this.

True, you don't need to. I just like to name them so I know what is installed where. :)
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    To add to the information above if I may, many players find that the installer will refuse to run on the root level of a volume, meaning just plain D. We do (usually) need to create a folder on D first and then select that one. It doesn't have to be called Program Files or Program Files (x86) exactly, it could be called just about anything, but that's usually what it takes for an installer to see the intended custom location as viable.

To be fair, we don't really install programs on the root level of C either or else we would have program files splattered all over the top level of the system drive. It's just that Windows tends to guide the installers to an already designated Program Files folder on the system drive when we install the default way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • LindaluLindalu Posts: 684 Member
    Thanks to each and every one of you awesome people. Very valuable information. Following the instructions carefully, I first noticed I had to click “custom installation” in order to have the option to change the drive letter. The orphanage name, luv it! Ohhh wow! It worked, I’m testing the base game now as it just installed. I’m getting a video card warning though, that it is set too high. I’ll be back if I can’t figure out that one.Thanks so much folks.
    Lindalu wrote: »
    I’m getting a video card warning though, that it is set too high. I’ll be back if I can’t figure out that one.Thanks so much folks.

If the game has problems recognising the graphics card (or do your PC have an integrated one?) it can be easily fixed by doing some small changes to a file or two, if needed. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited October 2019
    To expand on the graphics card recognition thing, there is a app from Nexus that will add your graphics card to the files that Cororon is talking about. It was last updated on the 7th of this month, so whatever card your new computer has should be supported.

Link to the app (you need an account to download): https://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/106

Video instruction from the creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj2wrA1WQiw

Basic instruction:
    -Download the app and run it.

-Click "The Sims 3 Directory" and navigate to the base game's installation directory. Yours will be something like: D : /*whatever folder you made to install the game in*/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 If you want to ensure you're in the right place, just look for the files the app will be editing: GraphicsRules.sgr and GraphicsCards.sgr (Speaking of these files, make sure to back them up just in case).

-Click "Apply." The program will confirm that the files are present and ask you if you want to replace them. Click "Yes."

-To make sure it worked, go to your user folders (e.g. My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3) and look for "DeviceConfig." Open this in Notepad and look for the line that begins "Name (Database):" You can hit ctrl+F to type it in and find it, but it is also just really close to the top so not hard to find. Next to this, you'll find the name of your graphics card (Geforce RTX 2060 in my case), next to this ensure that the brackets say [Found: 1, Matched: 1] and you're good to go. :smile: For reference, here's what the line should say in its entirety (your card will be different, obviously):
    Name (Database): GeForce RTX 2060 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]

EDIT: obviously, your D drive won't have any spaces between the D, the colon, and the slash but I had to put it to avoid the D: face and :/ face :lol:
  • LindaluLindalu Posts: 684 Member
    edited October 2019
    Great information! My Graphic card is dedicated. It’s an NVidia GTX 1660Ti. The further I get into this, it makes more sense. I have some of the games successfully installed. Have not added any CC yet. As for the graphic card error/notice, I went into the game settings and changed the sliders but will absolutely check out your Graphics card link as suggested. Sure appreciate your help. It has been saved!