Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Catalina on Mac

Is anyone having problems starting their sims on the new Catalina on Mac? Mine won't start

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Painterroy58 I did, yes. Seems a fresh install after updating would’ve been a good idea because the Sims files don’t update well.
    But this troubleshooting got me out of the error messages: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Info-The-Sims-4-macOS-Catalina-Troubleshooting/m-p/8291917#M20883
  • CIASimtridgeCIASimtridge Posts: 31 Member
    I am having issues as well and getting very frustrated. My game initially would not start and the error message came up when I would try so I deleted the sims off of my laptop and re-downloaded them all. After that the game worked to load but freezes after a few minutes of play with the spinning rainbow circle and when I go to force quit it says that the program is not responding.
    I am having issues as well and getting very frustrated. My game initially would not start and the error message came up when I would try so I deleted the sims off of my laptop and re-downloaded them all. After that the game worked to load but freezes after a few minutes of play with the spinning rainbow circle and when I go to force quit it says that the program is not responding.

Have you tried to disable Origin In-Game? There's an issue with that which causes freezing (it's mentioned in the troubleshooting post I linked earlier).
  • CIASimtridgeCIASimtridge Posts: 31 Member

Have you tried to disable Origin In-Game? There's an issue with that which causes freezing (it's mentioned in the troubleshooting post I linked earlier).

Yes I have tried that and it didn't work :( thank you though!

Yes I have tried that and it didn't work :( thank you though!

I'm sorry I wasn't more help. There seems to be a bunch of issues after the update and Catalina isn't TS4's fan, apparently (I say, having done several clean folder reboots already since Wednesday). Here's hoping there are fixes coming now that the full public version is out and can be properly investigated.
  • PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    Before I upgrade to Catalina (because the potential problems frighten me but I need the Accessibility now integrated with it) would it not be easier to back up my saves, reinstall the game, turn off Origin In-Game? I just want to do things in the least amount of file moving possible. Thanks!
    Before I upgrade to Catalina (because the potential problems frighten me but I need the Accessibility now integrated with it) would it not be easier to back up my saves, reinstall the game, turn off Origin In-Game? I just want to do things in the least amount of file moving possible. Thanks!

I can't say that you'll absolutely avoid all issues, but it's possible that you'll be able to avoid at least some of the update issues that way.
    Make sure you have everything backed up that you need to keep: saves, Screenshots, Tray.
    For an extra measure of safety, maybe uninstall the game & Origin completely before updating the OS.

And don't forget to turn off Origin In-Game everywhere: in Origin's Application Settings, in the Diagnostics section (In-Game logging), and in TS4's own Game Settings (from the Origin interface).

Hope your update goes well!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I thought some people said to reinstall the game after you upgrade with Catalina. Maybe that will help some of you.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Not necessarily reinstall though it is one of the options. For most people what helped was just to start with a clean folder. That worked for a lot of people who updated.
  • Lizz1013Lizz1013 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi all, since installing the new MacOS I’ve had nothing but issues. Lost all my saved files, can’t launch the game (Fixed) & can’t save to the gallery to even just backup my game. Honestly I’ve lost all hope. Any news on when it’s gonna get fixed?
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I hear you @Lizz1013. I wish EA would post an official bulletin to the forums on this issue. Some people have mentioned things they’ve heard on what to do. I think I have over 20 generations at this point, so I haven’t even wanted to launch it just to risk losing everything. Haven’t even played since I’ve upgraded to Catalina.

I mean, I’m not too upset I can’t watch Sims ignore my beautiful oceanview dining area in order to eat dinner in the bathroom.

Can’t say I miss them taking an hour to come back in the house after returning from another failed GTW detective career. One where the only “perp” that ever fit the description was that Baby Ariel. Finally arrested that denim jacket wearing, high ponytailed game-crashing-gal and the career bugged out from there. Couldn’t interrogate her, couldn’t restart the case.

Probably don’t miss having to mash the “Go Home” button 47x for them to leave The Shrieking Llama.

But would be nice to have it work. To ya Mac naysayers, Catalina is quite the beautiful paradise of an OS, otherwise.

Also, for any naysayers, I’ve been playing since Sims 1 and PC has been nothing but a crash mess of trouble. Sims 3 and 4 have run beautifully, and pleasantly without issue on any Mac I’ve ever owned.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    And now that I read that I won’t upgrade to Catalina.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    And now that I read that I won’t upgrade to Catalina.

I mean, Catalina is pretty dope tho.
    Catalina is pretty cool. We're just still in the adjustment period *glares at security apps having issues with Catalina's security programming* I mean... :/

For anyone who does still have issues starting or running the game, the troubleshooting thread helps: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Info-The-Sims-4-macOS-Catalina-Troubleshooting/m-p/8291917#M20883
    (in my case, repeatedly, because something else is going wonky besides the main issue)
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Well they just released an update, I hope it fixes the problem :)
    Yayyy there’s a Catalina update 🥳
  • PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    I love how in the comments they say that Catalina users had a few problems which made gameplay a little bumpy...I'm laughing because that is a giant understatement but I'm happy that a patch is out. I'm still not going to upgrade until I see/hear positive results though. Thank you EA for the patch.