Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should TS4 come to an end and make place for TS5?

FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
edited October 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
This is just an open discussion thread where all thoughts and feelings should be welcome, but PLEASE explain why you feel or think a certain way and do not crush other peoples hopes and dreams on both fronts.

That being said, the question is here. I know TS4 was said to continue about 4 more years or so, but not everything that is being said is certain for the future. IF the game should continue in the state it is now, with more disappointing packs, growing critics, the ongoing flaws and shortcomings, should it still continue or should they just finish it up and make place for The Sims 5? I mean, should they lay the main focus on The Sims 5 instead of trying to milk out The Sims 4 that may or may not be more successful from this point on? What do you think?

Or is The sims 4 finally starting to get better even though it seems ridiculous in the timeline of a game with previous series that were far more successful on many important fronts? Should they still try and deliver what is planned and go beyond that with new innovative packs we have never seen before and give this a chance? Share what you think!

The major part of my heart says 'Finish it up and start revealing The sims 5 to us!', but I can accept The Sims 4 to be stretched out a little longer IF they step up their game and deliver fully packed Expansions with actual game changing game play, basic features that still need to be patched in ASAP, do overhauls on for example sims personalities to effect their lives completely as well as a system of story progression where the choices of the whole world matter instead of your own sim being the center of the universe. Than only, I will be interested in a longer period of The Sims 4. Keeping it the way it is now, is not staying stable, it is moving backward. They NEED to step it up!

Comments

• ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    If this is what TS4 has been like than I don't even want to think what TS5 will be like...we might only be able to build walls lol. Thing is we can say 'give us TS5 now!' as much as we like but if they think they can still get money from TS4 then they will prolong TS4 because there are people out there who will still buy it EVEN if they don't like the game play.
    I can only hope that if we ever DO get TS5 then I really x1000 hope it is better and the things we wished that were in TS4 will be in TS5. Don't get me wrong as there are somethings I like about TS4 but it could be better.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Personal disclaimer: I am very much enjoying TS4. Admittedly, I came into it late but I'm far from being bored with it (it may happen, for a multitude of reasons, but not anytime soon). Also, my playing style means I have little interest in things like story progression or gameplay where I have to constantly fight against the game's internal workings to achieve what I want. That does lead to me enjoying this version as much as I do.
    With TS4 and whatever comes next, I would love to see multiple options for gameplay. For those who like free reign, for those who like more of a gameplay challenge, for those who want every achievement to feel like they worked hard for it. Options are everyone's friend.

For me, there is still a lot that I hope will be added to this version and there's a ton that I haven't explored yet (not to mention that I still don't have all the packs and probably won't for quite some time). Personally, I think TS4 has room to grow for another while still and there are plenty of ideas for it, in the community and presumably in the dev team.

Also, I don't think it needs to be a "the king is dead, long live the king" thing.
    For all we know, they might already have a team working on the core of TS5 already. And knowing what I know of the start of 4, I'd rather they don't rush it because they feel like they need to hit some sort of arbitrary release date goal. As for the "it's time, TS4 is getting old" argument I've seen around here, there's no rule that a game can only exist for a certain amount of years before the next version needs to come along. The shiny and new things that are delivered on a schedule tend to not be all that shiny and new forever anyway (and I'd rather a thing that lasts than a thing that I need to replace all over again).

So no, personally I don't feel a big desire for TS5 and while I don't think TS4 desperately needs more added to what's there now (I'd love to be able to catch up at some point ;)) I do think that it still has room for additions and tweaks for another while.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't think you are asking the right question. Because there is no should. It definitely will. If TS4 is doing as well as they say I think another sequel is more than locked down at this point. What worries me is if it's going to be good or not.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    My only hope is that they take all the issues with Sims4 and iron them out for Sims5 to make Sims5 have more depth and challenge where needed (everywhere). Base game Sims5 should feel like a Full, Complete GAME.

Focus should be lifted off Young Adult sims and refocused on ALL ages. The game should have the same level of depth that Sims2 and Sims3 had. The sims should focus on PERSONALITY over EMOTIONS. Emotions are short-term situational feelings, whereas Personality is something that will drive a sim for their entire life. Wants, Fears, Memories, Whims, Likes/Dislikes, etc all need to be Present and have a Purpose.

I also strongly believe that the devs should NOT cater to those with poor, outdated computers. It only holds the rest of us back in terms of the core strength of the game - how many sims to a family, the size of neighborhoods, open world?, customization options, graphic options, sims in-world or on a lot, etc. If I want to overload my game because my computer can handle it, that SHOULD be an option. Right now I'm forced to conform to the same standards as those playing on 7 year old laptops.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2019
    After Sims 4 is hitting the five year mark, yes I'm ready for the franchise to move on after university is released this year.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    If they’re still serious about this franchise then yes, I think they should.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I really love TS4 and, while there is a lot I would like to see added and improved on, I feel it has some a long way since release and it still has a lot of potential. If TS4 ends before it feels 'complete' to me, then I'm not sure I would want to move on and start over with TS5. I have no guarantee that TS5 will be an improvement or move in a direction that I would want.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    I'm of the opinion TS4's fine. What it needs, though, is some often-required content like a University expansion, hobbies, maybe re-up some ideas from older Sims games.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I don't think you are asking the right question. Because there is no should. It definitely will. If TS4 is doing as well as they say I think another sequel is more than locked down at this point. What worries me is if it's going to be good or not.

It is not about eventually, but about if The Sims 4 should finish up NOW and make place for The sims 5 ;)

EDIT: Good points everyone! Hope to read more.
    I really love TS4 and, while there is a lot I would like to see added and improved on, I feel it has some a long way since release and it still has a lot of potential. If TS4 ends before it feels 'complete' to me, then I'm not sure I would want to move on and start over with TS5. I have no guarantee that TS5 will be an improvement or move in a direction that I would want.

You can still play TS4. You don't have to go into TS5 if you do not like it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    Number one Sims 5 would have needed being built over the last 4 or so years and it has not - so until they have a Sims 5 ready to go Sims 4 will continue. They never just stop the present one until the new one is within months of being ready. No one wants a Sims game that has not been built on for 4 or more years - we saw what thaT WAS LIKE.

I also believe the next rendition will not be ready to use until EA has completed the project they have already put 7 years into for the future of all EA games and last i had heard that is not set to reach that stage for another few years yet. I do not believe they would make a Sims 5 usable until they have completed that project as they have a lot of (a thousand) people working on it for a long time - and I feel until it is ready we wait.

It really does not matter what I think or want - anyway - I am losing my health battle anyway - but I do have to look at it logically and what EA itself says about the future of ALL their games and the system they have put so much time and money into that is still being worked on as we speak. It's all their triple AAA games not just the Sims - keep that in mind.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited October 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Number one Sims 5 would have needed being built over the last 4 or so years and it has not - so until they have a Sims 5 ready to go Sims 4 will continue. They never just stop the present one until the new one is within months of being ready. No one wants a Sims game that has not been built on for 4 or more years - we saw what thaT WAS LIKE.

I also believe the next rendition will not be ready to use until EA has completed the project they have already put 7 years into for the future of all EA games and last i had that is not set to reach that stage for another few years yet. I do not believe they would make a Sims 5 usable until they have completed that project as they have a lot of people working on it for a long time - and I feel until it is ready we wait.

It really does not matter what I think or want - anyway - I am losing my health battle anyway - but I do have to look at it logically and what EA itself says about the future of ALL their games and the system they have put so much time and money into that is still being worked on as we speak. It's all their triple AAA games not just the Sims - keep that in mind.

What system/project are you talking about?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited October 2019

I also believe the next rendition will not be ready to use until EA has completed the project they have already put 7 years into for the future of all EA games and last i had that is not set to reach that stage for another few years yet. I do not believe they would make a Sims 5 usable until they have completed that project as they have a lot of people working on it for a long time - and I feel until it is ready we wait.

The Atlas Project/SEED program. They have been posting about it since 2017 - over on EA main pages. Haven't you been following EA?

https://www.ea.com/seed

Thats the new official website and here are some of the stuff they are working on: for the last 7+ years

https://www.ea.com/seed#news

You can follow them on Twitter as well on what they are working on in the program here: https://twitter.com/seed
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

I also believe the next rendition will not be ready to use until EA has completed the project they have already put 7 years into for the future of all EA games and last i had heard that is not set to reach that stage for another few years yet. I do not believe they would make a Sims 5 usable until they have completed that project as they have a lot of (a thousand) people working on it for a long time - and I feel until it is ready we wait.

I'm sorry your not doing well as for the sims are any thing else none of us really know whats gonna happen
    I wish you well @Writin_Reg and I hope your health turns around
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited October 2019

I'm sorry your not doing well as for the sims are any thing else none of us really know whats gonna happen

Thank you - but looking real bad for me. I was so hoping to see Uni but not looking good. On a good note I brought 5 former simmers who are now nurses at the hospital back to the sim during my time at the hospital this week. Showed them how easy it is to get back in Simming and all about Sims 3 and 4. All 5 hadn't played since Sims 2 and did not know they were still around or had a mobile version. Now they do. LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited October 2019
    It depends on how far they have gotten with making the sims5.

The thing is... they are in a really good position right now, they are making and releasing a lot of content for a game that is over 5 years old, while other game development studios need to spend a lot of money to make sequels. I think they are only going to stop doing that if they believe that the sims5 will be as successful.

I myself am not a fan of them releasing so many packs in a year because it definitely feels like "quantity over quality" but I unfortunately do not think they will make any major changes outside of their own planned release schedule.
    logion wrote: »

The thing is... they are in a really good position right now, they are making and releasing a lot of content for a game that is over 5 years old, while other game franchises need to spend a lot of money to make sequels to do what Maxis are doing right now. I think they are only going to stop doing that if they believe that the sims5 will be as successful.

I myself am not a fan of them releasing so many packs in a year because it definitely feels like "quantity over quality" but I unfortunately do not think they will make any major changes outside of their own planned release schedule.
    I know they started posting jobs for a new Sims game three years ago, so who knows how far in development they are now. I prefer quality over quantity too. I was quite happy before the release of stuff packs for the Sims when Sims started to become more microtransaction driven.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited October 2019
    Scobre wrote: »

The thing is... they are in a really good position right now, they are making and releasing a lot of content for a game that is over 5 years old, while other game franchises need to spend a lot of money to make sequels to do what Maxis are doing right now. I think they are only going to stop doing that if they believe that the sims5 will be as successful.

I know they started posting jobs for a new Sims game three years ago, so who knows how far in development they are now. I prefer quality over quantity too. I was quite happy before the release of stuff packs for the Sims when Sims started to become more microtransaction driven.

Nope the first (2) job postings was Nov of 2018. Been less than a year. Also they never said it was for Sims 5 - just that it was a new Sims game and people are guessing it is for Sims 5.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’m very, very sorry to hear about your health @Writin_Reg. I hope it picks up. I really do.

My opinion is I don’t think a sims 5 will automatically be better. In fact I suspect going by the direction @Writin_Reg mentions which I also believe to be true; I don’t think it will get better in the sense of back to classic sims. I believe those days are gone. What’s coming in the future and knowing what I know of EA and their “fun surprise mechanics” I have no faith in a future game being a prince on a dashing white stallion coming into rescue us all.

Should it end? Well at this stage and maybe because of the above I’m not bothered. I don’t think they are going to release an amazing game pack or expansion that will just make the game “click” for me. But one can live in hope lol

But then again I think the reason I feel the way I do is because I play the older sims games and I play a large variety of games and also I’m mindful that the game will end sometime and if history has taught me anything with EA, it will end when they decide and see fit and not necessarily when we want it too nor will it probably be left in a great state.
    edited October 2019
    Scobre wrote: »

Nope the first (2) job postings was Nov of 2018. Been less than a year. Also they never said it was for Sims 5 - just that it was a new Sims game and people are guessing it is for Sims 5.
    I started seeing job postings before that in 2016. I just hope they don't call it the Sims 5. Getting old with all the numbers.

Also oh dear just read this: https://www.google.com/search?q=sims+job+positions&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS704US704&oq=sims+job+positions&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.5503j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu263qspLlAhXbIzQIHcRwCHkQp4wCMAJ6BAgLEAE#htidocid=3Ppo58k014Rh4nlkAAAAAA==&sxsrf=ACYBGNQaBVT5sxiUm6JfzqTbvEpcdElcIA:1570734724581

I hope it doesn't mean SimGuruFrost is moving on. I really like him.

There is also this job: https://www.google.com/search?q=sims+job+positions&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS704US704&oq=sims+job+positions&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.5503j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu263qspLlAhXbIzQIHcRwCHkQp4wCMAJ6BAgLEAE#fpstate=tldetail&htidocid=xI_CEwT5kcm2VcXWAAAAAA==&htivrt=jobs
    edited October 2019

The Atlas Project/SEED program. They have been posting about it since 2017 - over on EA main pages. Haven't you been following EA?

https://www.ea.com/seed

Thats the new official website and here are some of the stuff they are working on: for the last 7+ years

https://www.ea.com/seed#news

You can follow them on Twitter as well on what they are working on in the program here: https://twitter.com/seed

Humm......I don't understand why one thing would stop the other (other being TS5) since they don't seem to be connected at all.

From the pictures on the website and videos it looks like they are developing another game engine maybe? Or just tech to implement across multiple platforms and programs. But it's not finished yet. Whatever comes from it though probably won't go into a sims game.....it's mostly real time rendering.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Thank you - but looking real bad for me. I was so hoping to see Uni but not looking good. On a good note I brought 5 former simmers who are now nurses at the hospital back to the sim during my time at the hospital this week. Showed them how easy it is to get back in Simming and all about Sims 3 and 4. All 5 hadn't played since Sims 2 and did not know they were still around or had a mobile version. Now they do. LOL.
    I’m so very sorry to hear that, brings things back into perspective...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited October 2019

You can still play TS4. You don't have to go into TS5 if you do not like it.

Of course, I know that (I would probably still be playing TS2 if it had TS4 graphics). I just personally don't want TS4 to end yet. I love TS4, but I would be disappointed if this was it. There are still things I wish to see added and improved on before I can feel satisfied with it (and more optimistic about TS5). I can also understand why some simmers are eager for TS5 to take over. I just hope that when it does it delivers for the majority of simmers. I have been playing The Sims since TS1 and I do want it to continue and improve.
    Of course, I know that (I would probably still be playing TS2 if it had TS4 graphics). I just personally don't want TS4 to end yet. I love TS4, but I would be disappointed if this was it. There are still things I wish to see added and improved on before I can feel satisfied with it (and more optimistic about TS5). I can also understand why some simmers are eager for TS5 to take over. I just hope that when it does it delivers for the majority of simmers. I have been playing The Sims since TS1 and I do want it to continue and improve.
    I'm curious what would you like to see in the Sims 4 near future? What aspects would you like improved upon?