Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm starting to think it's not gonna get better.

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what the Patch might contain though and why it's left those Macs behind.

I have explained it in depth here - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17266198/#Comment_17266198

Yes, I see that but is the 3rd October Patch just for Macs? There's no mention of taking Mods etc. out so I must assume it is not a general game patch for all of us?

PC and Mac patches are the same, aren't they? The same way the game codes when purchased not on Origin are for both PC and Macs. Since they're both going through the Origin clients, the only difference is that some parts of the patch only apply to Macs and some others only to PCs.
    Consoles are different because they go via the respective stores instead of Origin.

This warning was specifically sent to give a heads-up to Lion users, I'm guessing the mods/CC warning will come with the announcement of the patch release itself on Thursday.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @Simburian
    The announcement about Lion is only for Mac users. It's a heads up before a major update to the Mac version of the game. Moving out your Mods folder is common sense before applying any patch and something all CC/Mod users should be aware of.
    apple-signature.png
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I feel confident to say it won't get better. There's not really any indication that it will. While it gets every time newer features here and there, and old ones, they are delivered to superficial depth that veterans still get bored of it. And when they're delivered in poor quality or shape, that doesn't hook players in for long. We can start kissing goodbyes if we haven't to the franchise. Some people out there is shelling it money, be it emotionally overly attached players or the new crowd.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I've stopped caring about this game is going to get better, especially after the recent promotion of this tool being a safe space. It is no longer a game. There I said it.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I'm still playing the game because mods made me keep my interest. But vanilla game is terribly boring. I have to do nonsense or play some sort of challenge to feel like my time spent in live mode isn't wasted. I mainly stick to CAS or build/buy.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Every time a proposal is submitted that adds challenge and/or any hint of RPG elements people either protest (loudly) or when implemented complain that what was implemented was too hard. The only way they can deepen the game play is to either

a) present RPG type challenges or
    b) Deepen the AI to the point that Sims might not always do what you want them to do based on their enhanced personalities.

Either way there will be very loud complaints...always and forever.
    So they just decided to add washing machines and stuff...because it's what you wanted.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Well I have no trouble enjoying the game so maybe it does not need to be better. Sure somethings could use tweaking and more options but if I wanted Sims 2 or Sims 3 play in my game - I'd just go play Sims 2 or Sims 3. I play each game for what IT offers and this works fine for me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Well I have no trouble enjoying the game so maybe it does not need to be better. Sure somethings could use tweaking and more options but if I wanted Sims 2 or Sims 3 play in my game - I'd just go play Sims 2 or Sims 3. I play each game for what IT offers and this works fine for me.

I don't have much trouble either, but I still think the game needs to get better. It still needs things to work. Some people have bugs. I'd prefer it to be a little harder as well, and I'd like my sims to actually be the smarter sims they advertised in the beginning, not the sit there for 2 sim hours doing nothing even with free will turned on. I'd like a toggle and story progression back (because I realize a lot of people prefer their sims not do anything unless told). I still like my game, I still play and have fun, but I can still want it to be better. Some things (like that toggle) I'll likely never get but other things like bug fixes, I EXPECT them to do, since it's their job and all... (however, just because I expect it, doesn't mean that will happen either and I know I'm on a road for disappointment in that department).

Each game is different, and I get that, I've played them all since TS1 and loved them all for various reasons, but a lot haven't and a lot CAN'T. Can you even get TS2 anymore if you want it and will it run on today's operating systems? TS3 is a pretty expensive catch up if you didn't live through it and buy everything back then. I don't think it's fair to say that it doesn't need improving just because you can enjoy it and play the others for the things missing when a lot of people can't. Not everyone has the past games or can even acquire them. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    edited October 2019
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    So they just decided to add washing machines and stuff...because it's what you wanted.
    Don't overshadow it. Sims with lively personality was always a request alongside and before laundry became a thing. Washing clothes as a chore was a hit or miss concept for players. So 'we' is not quite representative here, and frankly how a washer over personality must be 'choose only one!" dilemma? Broken personality is a base game overlooked issue. And how does the stuff pack's inclusion take away from game/expansion pack devoted for intimating mechanics? I don't get your relevance about Laundry Day.
    Pretty much almost everyone wants Sims to act how they suppose to by traits, and to actually retain their lost simology characterists (like chemistry, favorites, etc.), because well it's not a laundry simulator as a core game.

If they want the loud complaints to be volume down, wouldn't re visioning how traits act and give family Sims the content they deserve be a nice start to that? If Maxis stop having their ears be deafen and start prioritizing such demands since the start, of course threads pertaining to that stuff will stop appearing on the first feedback page until the development's ends. A studio must be out of touch to think that it's inevitable to compile with said complaints, as if supplying the players with impact trait attributes and family content would destroy the game or something. They don't show even initiative to make babies crawl away from their basinets, just like how pets are independent to walk around. Let alone throw things (interactions) for teens to do cool stuff like egg an house or pull a flooding prank on the rabbit hole school. Hell, this game CERTAINLY needs a generation pack after the parenthood one.

Care to elaborate what these RPG you have in mind? I don't people asking for that often. As for the 'game to be challenge', this often suggestions consist of the proposal of two games: susceptible death and a burglar NPC. That would already make the game challenging if Sims could die by unpredictable, but reasonably realistic demise. The vampire break-ins are fine; just the base game needs one along with substitute of 'garlic' (i.e. alarm system)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    Don't overshadow it. Sims with lively personality was always a request alongside and before laundry became a thing. Washing clothes as a chore was a hit or miss concept for players. So 'we' is not quite representative here, and frankly how it's relevant and a washer over personality must be 'choose only one!" dilemma?
    Pretty much almost everyone wants Sims to act how they suppose to by traits, and to actually retain their lost simology characterists (like chemistry, favorites, etc.), because well it's not a laundry simulator as a core game.

If they want the loud complaints to be volume down, wouldn't re visioning how traits act and give family Sims the content they deserve be a nice start to that? If Maxis stop having their ears be deafen and start prioritizing such demands since the start, of course threads pertaining to that stuff will stop appearing on the first feedback page until the development's ends. A studio must be out of touch to think that it's inevitable to compile with said complaints, as if supplying the players with impact trait attributes and family content would destroy the game or something. They don't show even initiative to make babies crawl away from their basinets, just like how pets are independent to walk around. Let alone throw things (interactions) for teens to do cool stuff like egg an house or pull a flooding prank on the rabbit hole school.

Care to elaborate what these RPG you have in mind? I don't people asking for that often. As for the 'game to be challenge', this often suggestions consist of the proposal of two games: susceptible death and a burglar NPC. That would already make the game challenging if Sims could die by unpredictable, but reasonably realistic demise. The vampire break-ins are fine; just the base game needs one along with substitute of 'garlic' (i.e. alarm system)

I was commenting in broad strokes about the topic. I offered two solutions that could possibly satisfy some Simmers.
    I then followed up by pointing out that it's improbable they will take either path, because you the Simmers (not you personally) keep asking for the same exact things we've had before and then complain of boredom a week later.
    And those things being? ROM does not provide none of it. Children got familiars that makes them immortal, a heritage trait and idle effect in CAS. There's nothing for them to do, which really didn't quench the longing for Sim children being more like kids. Witch perk system doesn't make them different than getting them more powerful, with quite a number others ending up being obsolete due to other workarounds.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    And those things being? ROM does not provide none of it. Children got familiars that makes them immortal, a heritage trait and idle effect in CAS. There's nothing for them to do, which really didn't quench the longing for Sim children being more like kids. Witch perk system doesn't make them different than getting them more powerful, with quite a number others ending up being obsolete due to other workarounds.

Everything you have mentioned is pretty specific.
    I could list dozens and dozens of things that would make the game suit my personal tastes a lot better.
    At the end of the day, If I'm not satisfied I have a decision to make.
    Either move on or complain about it endlessly.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2019
    Don't overshadow it. Sims with lively personality was always a request alongside and before laundry became a thing. Washing clothes as a chore was a hit or miss concept for players. So 'we' is not quite representative here, and frankly how it's relevant and a washer over personality must be 'choose only one!" dilemma?

If they want the loud complaints to be volume down, wouldn't re visioning how traits act and give family Sims the content they deserve be a nice start to that? If Maxis stop having their ears be deafen and start prioritizing such demands since the start, of course threads pertaining to that stuff will stop appearing on the first feedback page until the development's ends. A studio must be out of touch to think that it's inevitable to compile with said complaints, as if supplying the players with impact trait attributes and family content would destroy the game or something. They don't show even initiative to make babies crawl away from their basinets, just like how pets are independent to walk around. Let alone throw things (interactions) for teens to do cool stuff like egg an house or pull a flooding prank on the rabbit hole school.

I was commenting in broad strokes about the topic. I offered two solutions that could possibly satisfy some Simmers.
    I then followed up by pointing out that it's improbable they will take either path, because you the Simmers (not you personally) keep asking for the same exact things we've had before and then complain of boredom a week later.

Because the packs, repeated themes or not, are not designed with longevity in mind. I mean, who really goes to all of the festivals in City Living after they've done them all once (assuming they haven't stacked on top of one another like they have been doing since launch!) What's the sense in going to Sulani after seeing it once if you don't live there and cannot properly take a vacation (which should entail benefits for your Sim) To vicariously live through your Sim sitting with a blank expression on their face as their boat rows across a river? How many times can you complete the linear and hand-holding Strangerville story?

I just don't understand this blaming of the player for wanting repeated themes. There are an infinite amount of ways they can take a theme they've given us once, twice, or even three times already and spin it into an entirely fresh, new experience. The issue is the ones that are responsible for gameplay in this iteration don't really incorporate solid game design into most features they implement.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Because the packs, repeated themes or not, are not designed with longevity in mind. I mean, who really goes to all of the festivals in City Living after they've done them all once (assuming they haven't stacked on top of one another like they have been doing since launch!) What's the sense in going to Sulani after seeing it once if you don't live there and cannot properly take a vacation (which should entail benefits for your Sim) To vicariously live through your Sim sitting with a blank expression on their face as their boat rows across a river? How many times can you complete the linear and hand-holding Strangerville story?

I just don't get this blaming of the player for wanting repeated themes. There are an infinite amount of ways they can take a theme they've given us already and spin it into an entirely new experience.

I never blamed anyone for their personal preferences.
    The stuff pack experiment was a perfect indicator that what I personally want in the game isn't what everyone else wants

How much of the Simming community at large even had a vote if they don't do social media?
    That vote was telling because it demonstrates that the people dug in the trenches with their own ideas as to how the Sims would be perfect for them...doesn't jibe with the majority.

They just don't post about it.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

I just don't understand this blaming of the player for wanting repeated themes. There are an infinite amount of ways they can take a theme they've given us once, twice, or even three times already and spin it into an entirely fresh, new experience. The issue is the ones that are responsible for gameplay in this iteration don't really incorporate solid game design into most features they implement.

I totally agree with this.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I just don't get this blaming of the player for wanting repeated themes. There are an infinite amount of ways they can take a theme they've given us already and spin it into an entirely new experience.

The stuff pack experiment was a perfect indicator that what I personally want in the game isn't what everyone else wants

How much of the Simming community at large even had a vote if they don't do social media?
    That vote was telling because it demonstrates that the people dug in the trenches with their own ideas as to how the Sims would be perfect for them...doesn't jibe with the majority.

Well, Laundry Day is the best selling/most popular stuff pack, as revealed. Whether or not people use social media didn't skew the poll's purpose of trying to identify what the community wanted most.

Personally, I think it was best selling because people want more responsibilities and chores in the game.

Well, Laundry Day is the best selling/most popular stuff pack, as revealed. Whether or not people use social media didn't skew the poll's purpose of trying to identify what the community wanted most.

Personally, I think it was best selling because people want more responsibilities and chores in the game.

Agreed so what's the problem with my commentary exactly? I have to admit i don't get it.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

I wanted the eco stuff but I'm not even mad about Laundry. It adds more realism to a game that lacks it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't think it's the coding/difficulty that's the core issue here. I believe The Sims Team needs a little more creativity. A lot of their thinking is too straightforward. There is more that could've been done with what's already in ROM, and I'm not talking about writing new features.

For example -- your Sim must collect 7 magic tomes to become a spellcaster. You collect? You're in. Bam. Done.

Nnnnnow, remember, guys -- "Sims 4 sims have the best personalities out of all the iterations with an ultra cool trait and emotion system!

So, what iffff.... the devs coded something simple, ex: if your Sim happens to have more than 50k in their funds, they could bribe the Sage into giving them the power w/o collecting motes? And the success of the interaction could depend on simple stats, like relationship level [OR EVEN THOSE GOOD-FOR-SOMETHING TRAITS AND CAREERS, COUGH.].

- Do Genius Sims even learn spells faster than normal ones?
    - Do Hot-Headded Sims autonomously choose Risky Duel over others?
    - Do Perfectionists take longer to craft spells?
    - Do Geek Sims gain Fun from spellcasting/witchy-biz? Do Clumsy Sims fail more often at spellcasting?
    - Do Materialistic Sims detest shabby brooms/wands?
    - Do Slob sims lose hygeine when brewing potions in the cauldron?
    - Do Foodie sims dislike the taste of potions?
    - Would Glutton sims autonomously drink potions to satisfy hunger?
    - Are Squeamish sims bad at spellcasting in general?
    - How do Good Sims deal with Untamed Spells?
    - Perhaps Romantic Sims could WooHoo with the Sages, and their success could give them some sort of benefit? [TS2-style humor here..]
    - Can Grilled Cheese Master concoct Grilled Cheese in the Cauldron? [The concept's pretty silly itself, so... why not? >:D]

I could go on further, but, hopefully my point was made here..
    I don't think it's the coding/difficulty that's the core issue here. I believe The Sims Team needs a little more creativity. A lot of their thinking is too straightforward. There is more that could've been done with what's already in ROM, and I'm not talking about writing new features.

For example -- your Sim must collect 7 magic tomes to become a spellcaster. You collect? You're in. Bam. Done.

Nnnnnow, remember, guys -- "Sims 4 sims have the best personalities out of all the iterations with an ultra cool trait and emotion system!

So, what iffff.... the devs coded something simple, ex: if your Sim happens to have more than 50k in their funds, they could bribe the Sage into giving them the power w/o collecting motes? And the success of the interaction could depend on simple stats, like relationship level [OR EVEN THOSE GOOD-FOR-SOMETHING TRAITS AND CAREERS, COUGH.].

- Do Geek Sims gain Fun from spellcasting/witchy-biz? Do Clumsy Sims fail more often at spellcasting?
    - Perhaps Romantic Sims could WooHoo with the Sages, and their success could give them some sort of benefit? [TS2-style humor here..]
    - Can Grilled Cheese Master concoct Grilled Cheese in the Cauldron? [The concept's pretty silly itself, so... why not? >:D]

I guess the ultimate question would be...how long would it take for the developers to check off every box on your wish list.
    The follow up would be once complete...would everyone be happy?
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    I've stopped caring about this game is going to get better, especially after the recent promotion of this tool being a safe space. It is no longer a game. There I said it.

This! 👏👏👏👏
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".

Agreed so what's the problem with my commentary exactly? I have to admit i don't get it.

I just disagreed with this was all.
    Uzone27 wrote:

To reiterate, I don't think repeated themes are the reason why people are complaining they're bored.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2019

I guess the ultimate question would be...how long would it take for the developers to check off every box on your wish list.
    The follow up would be once complete...would everyone be happy?

In the Sims series, there has usually been more than one way to skin a cat, depending on a Sims' traits. In TS4 there is only one way. It's a really dull and uninspired way at that. More options would add replayability and the opportunity for the player to create a different story for every Sim, based on their personality.

A variety of options may not make everyone happy. However, it's bound to make more people happy than having only one.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited October 2019
    Still doesn't answer the overarching question.
    If they did everything to make you (the individual Simmer happy)
    Do you imagine that would put an end to complaints in general?
    Post edited by Uzone27 on
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Still doesn't answer the overarching question.
    If they did everything to make you (the individual Simmer happy)
    Do you imagine that would put an and to complaints in general?

I don't think that anyone (except for you?) has brought up the idea of eradicating all complaints. That is impossible. The idea is to have fewer complaints by providing a game with more options, opportunities, and character-driven gameplay -- as in the earlier games in the series. Many of the complaints about TS4 are due to the game's lack of all of the above.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg