Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't children learn magic?

There isn't much at all for children sims to do. I really wanted them to be included in mermaids and RoM, they are ignored. It was awesome they included children in the vampires pack, but why are kid sims getting snubbed with the latest packs? :/
&Why make a Harry Potter themed pack and then not allow any children to even learn magic?
Does anyone know of a mod, maybe?
Im so sick of having to search for a mod to finish the work that should've been done by EA. JS
giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    I wish child sims had a mermaid tail.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Exactly, you know how cute that would be! @Sigzy05
    giphy.gif

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    'cause they weren't in the mood of doing the animations for kids too.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Very true, that's why I'm trying to bring attention to the subject right now. Kids are being ignored because of laziness. @SiliClone
    giphy.gif

• WorramotWorramot Posts: 52 Member
    When browsing books my kid sim was able to read a magic tome, but learned nothing. It did make for a good screenshot though so I can pretend in my story the sim started learning magic as a kid.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Opening options for children as Supernaturals is a tricky business, as to what to allow and where to stop. They've made that call. It's a design decision. Don't like it? Don't buy the pack.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Opening options for children as Supernaturals is a tricky business, as to what to allow and where to stop. They've made that call. It's a design decision. Don't like it? Don't buy the pack.

ikr... first it's like: No mom, I will not do my homework.. pooof!. Then it's like, you want me to eat what?? ha! It's just a bad idea in general to teach children magic. :D

Seriously though, why so abrupt? They are just asking a question.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I actually think it may be to avoid copyright infringement or similar. They probably had to get permission to allow "Harry Potter-like" elements to the game. Children doing magic may have been too similar given the other ways in which the game shows that influence.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I don't know why people seemed to have expected it- it's never happened before, except for in The Sims 1. Even then, children hardly got anything at all still.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I've got to admit...i didn't even read the OP...the subject line had me in stitches (from a real life humor point point of view)
    My apologies OP hopefully you can see the humor in that subject line and have a bit of a giggle.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't know why people seemed to have expected it- it's never happened before, except for in The Sims 1. Even then, children hardly got anything at all still.
    Because it would be fun to open up this avenue. Plus, just because past games didn't do it, doesn't mean Sims 4 can't do it. Especially since Sims 4 is supposed to be the next generation of the franchise - it kind of has to try and do better than what we already had. I'm glad they stepped it up with witches as much as they did, but it would have been more fun and immersive if kids got something beyond getting a glorified drone.

EDIT: Sims 3 had witch toddlers use magic in an idle animation. I think children would also ride brooms, but I don't remember.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Because it would be fun to open up this avenue. Plus, just because past games didn't do it, doesn't mean Sims 4 can't do it. Especially since Sims 4 is supposed to be the next generation of the franchise - it kind of has to try and do better than what we already had. I'm glad they stepped it up with witches as much as they did, but it would have been more fun and immersive if kids got something beyond getting a glorified drone.

EDIT: Sims 3 had witch toddlers use magic in an idle animation. I think children would also ride brooms, but I don't remember.

Yes, but outright expecting it is a bit far-fetched. I understand why people want it, but not the fact that people expect it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Children should be able to learn magic. At the very least they should have got cas items. It’s disgraceful they got nothing. Kids could do magic in Makin Magic. Although we shouldn’t compare, as Makin Magic wipes the floor with Realm of Magic.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    One of my first questions for all packs is "what can the children do?" So I know how you feel. This game has become the young adult only simulator.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I actually think it may be to avoid copyright infringement or similar. They probably had to get permission to allow "Harry Potter-like" elements to the game. Children doing magic may have been too similar given the other ways in which the game shows that influence.

Eh. Not as much as you would think as you really cannot trademark something you did not invent. A lot of Harry Potter is taken from other books, movies, and settings. Even the duelling and spells connecting has been done before. However, if they took Hogwarts or whatever, I could see that.

As for OP, it is because no one plays anything but young adult and making stuff that is diverse (and not in a way to leech onto the LGBT community and use them for quick sales) is too hard and not going to bring in enough profits.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    edited October 2019
    I would also have liked some magical gameplay for children. Given the recent releases and lack of gameplay for children I did not expect much but I was disappointed to not even see a single piece of clothing for them.

I don't see this as a Harry Potter GP. There are some influences, sure, but the concept of performing magic with wands, learning magical spells in books and flying on brooms have been around much longer than Harry Potter. It is perfectly possible to include magic for children without making a Harry Potter pack. Now if this were to include a magical boarding school with students sorted into houses, there might be copyright problems. but giving children some child friendly spells is generic enough to be possible.

I think copyright was not what stopped them from including things for children. It was more likely decided by those people who made the decision to turn this game into a young adult simulator with young teens as a target audience. :(
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Because they save money in development
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Children should be able to learn magic. At the very least they should have got cas items. It’s disgraceful they got nothing. Kids could do magic in Makin Magic. Although we shouldn’t compare, as Makin Magic wipes the floor with Realm of Magic.

This. It's hard enough to create a non-modern/fantasy family without cc, and with, and looking at rom's offerings (I don't have the pack), it would be impossible to create a medieval-punk type spellcaster family with kids that look like they belong.

Though I think sim kids should also have had the option to do basic magic, and sim toddlers the occasional accidental kind. I'll be kind to the animators and say it wasn't fair to expect the same in-depth system we got for the adults, but kids and toddlers shouldn't have been left out as much as they were. Despite loving occults, it gave me a lot less incentive to buy.

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I've been waiting for witches in my game since I started playing TS4, that's why Realm of Magic will probably always be my favourite pack despite everything, but yeah, children being left out here too is the one big bummer I can't get over. I'm not actually surprised, just disappointed, because I have that one family with a kid that is supposed to stay a kid forever, a small version of her evil witch mother, but now she can't actually do any magic to follow in her mother's footsteps. Even if we had gotten CAS items for kids, that wouldn't cut it for me because I don't need them to look the part if they can't also play the part. So if someone finds any mods to fix this situation, please share!
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    The simplest answer- teens through elders have the same body. They wear the same clothes and perform the same actions. Children would require new clothing and animations for a different sized Sim. Any time you wonder why children can't do something, THAT is the answer.
    What I can't answer is why they don't want to put the time and effort into the new animations. Although, that is probably answered best by looking at why teens are the same height as adults- it was the easiest thing to do.

I agree that this is the reason, but you sort of imply that they were simply too lazy to do it. They have a budget and delivery date to meet, just like anyone else. Kids were 'out of scope'.

I wish they'd included kids, too, and even some 'accidental' magic for toddlers, since it's a life-state, but to do that, they would have needed more people and more time, or would have had to leave out things that were included. I suspect the marketing surveys don't show a huge interest in playing kids, which is why the packs tend to favour YAs. (Of course, if kids had more to do, more people might be interested in playing them.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Not sure why toddlers and children can't get in on the act for the occult stuff, even if they don't understand what it is they have compared to their human counterparts.

can you imagine a toddler babbling with a wand in front of their parent and turned the coffee table into a plant and watch the excited reaction of the toddler. it would not only be cute but a big problem realising the toddler some how managed that!
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Children and toddlers showed occult signs in the sims 3. It wasn’t much but it was better than nothing.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Why make a Harry Potter themed pack and then not allow any children to even learn magic?

Possibly because the Harry Potter characters were pre-teen/teenagers, not children? That makes sense to me.
    I think I'm a minority (I usually am, these days) but I pleased they can't do magic, to be honest. I just don't feel that it would work the same way it does for the teen + sims.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Why make a Harry Potter themed pack and then not allow any children to even learn magic?

Possibly because the Harry Potter characters were pre-teen/teenagers, not children? That makes sense to me.
    I think I'm a minority (I usually am, these days) but I pleased they can't do magic, to be honest. I just don't feel that it would work the same way it does for the teen + sims.

It should not work the same way it does for teens and adults, at least when it would be up to m. They don't need to be adults in miniature size. It should be appropriate for their age. Spell that are less harmful, useful to play or help to get better grades. And I think it could have been like fame, where kids can get some fame but the higher levels are not available yet.

And you have a point about Harry Potter characters being teens. In the first two books/ films they are children. Everything after that is more teenagers