Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Life Span - What are you all playing with?

Hey,
Yet another post from me. So I have been playing around with season length to try get the holidays to fall on different days, bit more realistic than every Thursday. And after reading some posts I saw a lot of people play with really long life spans. Which got me thinking, what do you guys like to play with? I found more than 100 days and by the time someone was an adult they are pretty skilled out and had achieved their lifetime wish with time to spare and so much lifetime happiness points it was insane. I saw someone had their life span set so each sim got to experience all seasons during each life stage, sounded cool and of course realistic but that's just way to long a life span for me.

Comments

• becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I play the default life span. It works for me.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I play with aging off, but when I do have it on, I play on the longest life span without mods.
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    Oh wow aging off? I couldn't do that I would go so bored and annoyed with that, sometimes I get over a sim before they are even a adult
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    bobv2 wrote: »
    Oh wow aging off? I couldn't do that I would go so bored and annoyed with that, sometimes I get over a sim before they are even a adult

I usually play with aging off, too, but that doesn't mean the sims are going to hang around forever. Mine get aged up with birthday cakes or MasterController. I sometimes turn aging on when I have some elders around and want them to go "naturally," but sometimes I use MasterController for that, too - it's harder for me to decide the moment a sim is going to die, though.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited July 2019
    (Custom) Normal: Baby 2 • Toddler 5 • Child 7 • Teen 12 • Young Adult 22 • Adult 24 • Elder 14 • = 86

I play a lot of challenges and this I've found is the perfect pace for me. If I wanted to play a longer lifespan, I'd probably double my current settings.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Hides away four-year-old sims
    I, uh...play on default settings. Yes. :#

I've become attached to my sims so much that I never age them up unless I tire of them. Soooo...some sims die quickly and some have been in my game for over three years. I age 'em up from Baby to YA when I get tired of them being in their respective age ranges. In fact, a few weeks ago I found myself getting annoyed when I realized that the game aged up some of my favorite simmies without my permission. I think I have a problem :D

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    Aging off for me too. My sims may move out to a retirement home but they don't die!
  • amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    It depends on the story I’m playing and what I feel like it needs. Some saves I use the long lifetime and some saves I use the normal, but never the short - it’s just way too short for me. When I play rotationally, I only turn aging off for the inactive households so that I don’t miss out on any important events or life stages with my other families. On my single family saves I leave aging in for everyone.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    I prefer normal lifespan. Have one save on long, never tried short.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I don't get bored with aging off because I play with almost all the sims in my game. I'll play one household for a while, till I decide I want to do something else, and then I switch households. Before I started doing this, I was constantly starting a new game save after a few sims weeks. The game save I am currently playing now, I have been playing with for around two years now. :)
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 545 Member
    I play with the longest lifespan! I become attached to my Sims but also like to see progression in the family with them aging up and moving on.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I use a special custom lifespan I had to edit in game options using notepad because the game sliders won't support the numbers I wanted.
    Babies get 60 days
    Toddlers get 120 days
    Children get 360 days
    Teens get 180 days
    Young Adults get 540 days and pregancies last 30 days.
    Adults get 1080 days and elders get another 540 days.
    I don't get bored because I play all families in my towns.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • PricklyTrashPricklyTrash Posts: 7 New Member
    I always play with aging off. I usually go with some sort of theme as I go in with certain characters. Once I get bored, or am just done with everything I wanted/needed to be... I just make a new game with a new theme.
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited July 2019
    For my newly started legacy game the default normal one except for I took a day from baby and a couple of days from toddler and added to YA.

For the games where I play multiple families I like a more realistic setting,
    Long:
    Baby 3
    Toddler 12
    Child 21
    Teen 24
    YA 30
    Adult 90
    Elder 60
    I have yet to have a sim grow old and die with this setting, so if this works for generations I have yet to discover. :)
    Before I used to put a lot of days into the YA stage, but in real life young adulthood is a fairly short age stage.

@TadOlson Your sims are pregnant for my sims entire young adulthood :D
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I play long life spans. I pause aging if I need to do more with a sims story line before letting them age up. I have early birthdays if the story calls for that as well. That is why I love mods, in particular the nraas ones, they turned EA's/Maxis game into my game with choices for me to make and not the game dev's. :smiley:

I don't currently have the seasons EP in play, but when I did I had winter and summer the longest since they were my favorite seasons and a bit shorter time frame for spring and fall and based the life span on a year of seasons with baby and toddlerhood splitting the first year. It still used pause and early aging depending on the story.

I have elders in the families but they don't die....they go live in the assisted living facility (library). I do have a lot of occults in my stories and my occults don't die as they are immortal. I move them from world to world as needed to keep the story going.
  • KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    Most saves: aging off with the eventual birthday cake to age up specific sims.

Generational game: modified Long lifespan (213 days).
    Baby: 3 days
    Toddler: 15 days
    Child: 20 days
    Teen: 30 days
    YA: 60 days
    Adult: 55 days
    Elder: 30 days

I had it more evenly distributed between YA, Adult and Elder before, but elders take too long to die of old age on long lifespan (the chance on long lifespan is only 6% each day after they time expires) so I had to adjust. Also, a lot of elders in real life look and behave more like adults. A lot of elders dye their hair or at least have some color remaining, but in game all elder townies have white hair. Unrealistic.

One thing that I'm considering is taking some days off toddler/teen and adding to children because children are cooler.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    On Epic Lifespan, with the following:
    Baby: 2 Days
    Toddler: 4 Days
    Child: 50 Days
    Teen: 88 Days
    Young Adult: 390 Days
    Adult: 300 Days
    Elder: 45 Days

Babies I rarely play, so I age them to Toddler; the four days for Toddler gives enough time to get the three basic skills done. The 50 Days for children gives them enough time to go to After School Activities and get them on the Honour Roll. The 88 Days for Teens is to give them time to find partners, get them to learn new skills and teach them to drive as well as getting them on the Honour Roll (The Teen Span will be lowered to 80 Days when the next generation is born). The Young Adult Span being 390 Days give them time to advance in their careers/lives/families, while Adults on 300 Days give them time to complete their Lifetime Wishes. Elders on 45 Days give them time to finish their Lifetime Wishes and allow them to relax before they go.
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2019
    My current game is 3 sim days = 1 year.

So, baby + toddler = 12 (newborn - 4)
    Child = 18 days (5-11)
    Teen = 21 days (12-19 -- I put 12 with the teens because I like the teen years more than the child)
    Young adult = 36 days (20 - 32)
    Adult = 96 (33 - 65)
    Elder = 27 (66 - 75)

Sometimes I adjust these numbers to 2 years per sim day and sometimes I adjust them to 4 years per sim day, though I only do that when playing more than one family. Then sometimes I just play on default, but the aging seems off to me. I like longer lifespans because I tend to mark time by seasons in the real world.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Interesting concept! I know the thread is a few months old, but...
    I'd try setting the seasons to 3 or 4 days each, putting a year at 12 to 16 days.
    Then, you could let each life stage have 1 year, or limit the baby and toddler stages to half of that.
    Add an extra season or even an extra year to the adult stage if you need more time to max a career.
    I'm going to have to try this!
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    bobv2 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Yet another post from me. So I have been playing around with season length to try get the holidays to fall on different days, bit more realistic than every Thursday. And after reading some posts I saw a lot of people play with really long life spans. Which got me thinking, what do you guys like to play with? I found more than 100 days and by the time someone was an adult they are pretty skilled out and had achieved their lifetime wish with time to spare and so much lifetime happiness points it was insane. I saw someone had their life span set so each sim got to experience all seasons during each life stage, sounded cool and of course realistic but that's just way to long a life span for me.

I recently set up my age span like this:

Infants- 2 days
    Toddlers- 7 days(default)
    Kids- 14 days
    Teens- 14 days(default)
    Young Adults- 30
    Adults- 30
    Elders- 30

This way I don't have to rush into making babies with my main household.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I have played with both aging and Story progression turned off from day one. In my opinion it's the only realistic setting, the only setting that resembles real life at all.

The so-called Normal lifespan of 90 sim days is just ridiculous, with only three sim months (not even real months!) from cradle to grave, there would be no point in doing anything, no point in trying to build skills and/or relations or anything else.

No... I want my darling little simmies to live forever... :love:
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I am very much attached to all of my Sims! However, when the time comes for them to reach the end of their journey, I will let them die. I don't play with ghosts, so my Sims will have to visit their dearly departed in the cemetery.

I play on Epic Life Span and give each of my Sims exactly two (x2) death flowers to ward against accidental or a premature demise. I also don't match life span to seasons.

My Sims Lifespan is 1063 days:

Infants = 7 days
    Toddlers = 31 days
    Children = 75 days
    Teens = 150 days
    Young Adults = 300 days
    Adults = 300 days
    Elders = 200 days
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I cannot bear my sims to die so I never allow them to wherever possible plus I am content to play them for the longest of times (way above any normal EA lifespan-) but if I occasionally tire of them I still save them to play again at some stage in the future as I have learned the hard way I can miss them terribly at some point and I want to play them and their stories all over again-)
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    I can't really tell yet what I will ultimately choose, but the lifespan I use is the standard epic one, with shortened baby and toddler stages (3 and 45 days, respectively). However, I tend to age up babies and toddlers early. All of this gets modified by the settings of my rotational play, which often stalls aging for some of the sims. This makes their lifespan even longer. The founder is (potentially) immortal, anyway, and I'll see if others will follow.

Regarding the founder, I will have to decide what to do with him. I intend to take him to Isla Paradiso at some point, because that's a place where he can actually do something new for a change. As for the rest of the sims, as much as I like to think of myself as someone who loves everyone equally, I guess I have to admit that I don't. On the plus side, this means I will manage to let go of a good part of them and experience something new.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    I always play with aging off and then just use the birthday cake to age up sims when I’m ready.

I just prefer to have control over my sims as I tell their stories. I tend to play my games at a very leisurely pace, so I hate the idea of feeling like I’m on some kind of time crunch.
    IHJCfa6.jpg