Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Christmas Story Prompt should I go with?

**Please read my post before voting**
Thanks. :blush:

As many of you know I wrote a short, Sims 3 Christmas story last year (rolling out chapters all throughout the month of December before Christmas day) and I would LOVE to do that again this year. :mrgreen:See Story here if you're interested

So I went online to look up some Christmas Writing Prompts to get a basic idea for a new Christmas story (because I was having a hard time coming up with my own idea. :p )

I picked out 4 Prompts from a list of 30 that I liked and I want to see which ones you as a reader would like to read about. I tried to pick ones that wouldn't be too difficult for me to set up in the Sims...

Ultimately it will be my decision which story I go with, but I was curious to see which story plot most people would be more interested in reading and that will be helpful in my decision. :)

So here's the 4 Prompts:

Idea 1
Two people who are secretly romantically interested in one another. They agree to share Christmas dinner together, just as friends, because a family holiday isn’t going to happen and all of their other friends are already busy.
^Naturally here we have the classic Christmas romance tale. I'll ALL about romance as many of you know. :blush: So this was the first one that caught my attention. However, my last Christmas story was a romantic one so...I was thinking I could move on to one that's not? But hey, if this sounds like the best plot to you than vote away! ;)

Idea 2
A Christmas card arrives in the mail fifty years after it was delivered.
^Ok, shouldn't it say 50 years after it was SENT? 🤷‍♀️ I dunno, my brain is a little fried at the moment. :confounded:
This could make for a very interesting story. One where my imagination could go quite wild with it. :mrgreen:
(The thought of using the Roaring Heights world comes to mind... 🤔)

Idea 3
Notes and gifts from a “Secret Santa” take a strange turn.
^This made me chuckle. :lol: And I bet I could do it in an office setting. I've always wanted to do a Sims story like that (You know...like the TV show "The Office." :smiley: )
If any of you would like to throw out a specific "strange turn," throw out your idea in the comments below. :mrgreen:

Idea 4
At the castle, Christmas is very different from what she’s used to.
^I'm thinking this is about a commoner who'd just become a Princess or a Queen? I could totally use the Praaven world to set this one up - in Medieval times. :grin: Like she introduces her family traditions to the castle and they invite in some of the poor children in town for a big Christmas meal and hand out simple, little gifts to them that mean the world to them. <3 My imagination could really go wild with this one too!

Anyway,

Thanks for reading and happy voting! :)
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Which Christmas Story Prompt should I go with? 31 votes

Two people who are secretly romantically interested in one another. They agree to share Christmas dinner together, just as friends, because a family holiday isn’t going to happen and all of their other friends are already busy.
3%
mw1525 1 vote
67%
PeachesnDucksParydreamerz13MikezumiemorrilljillbgIreneSwiftbekkasancocostephAnie1864CoolBlueJay902GoulsquashSunnyyesjamsNikkei_Simmer[Deleted User]afai1261BrandontaylorKynanTurjanGreylady624 21 votes
16%
Emily4331Rflong7zagboorulesking_of_simcity7rubyskywalker 5 votes
12%
GraceyManorSims4MagicalTalesjordandsmurfy77 4 votes

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Naturally, I'm way into medieval, and seeing how my wedding is gonna be medieval themed, I voted for this.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I like mysteries, why wasn't the card delivered until 50 years later?
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    This could be soooo interesting. I like that long lost personal/sentimental type stuff. It makes for some really cute stories.
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    They all sound awesome - can I vote for all of them? No? Hmmm... I like fantasy over juicy romance, but mysteries are fun...

I wrote Card, Secret Santa and Castle on a Random Picker from a List and clicked pick 7 times (It's a lucky number after all!) and went for what it picked...

Now why'd it pick the one with one vote now? lol
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Idea 3 could be interesting to work on although idea 2 would come second :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    I’ve always been a drip when it comes to romantic mysteries. I’m going to go with the 50 year old Christmas card.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I really love the sound of the Christmas card prompt. That could also take a romantic turn ...
    I am also a sucker for romance <3
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I really love the sound of the Christmas card prompt. That could also take a romantic turn ...
    I am also a sucker for romance <3

@Pary ^I was thinking the exact same thing... :smirk:
    I like all the ideas, and you are such a great writer that I know I'd love reading any of these stories... But the second one sounds the most intriguing :blush: . A mystery from the past for someone to solve would make an interesting story for sure.

@meerkattime Aww, thanks sweetie. :kissing_heart:

So if I pick the Christmas card story I'll have to think up a believable scenario. I have a few ideas going through my mind. ;) Gotta get out my notebook and do an outline! :grin:
  • Greylady624Greylady624 Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited October 2019
    A Christmas card arrives in the mail fifty years after it was [sent]. (Sorry, I agree with you and this made me laugh ;) )

I picked this because, like others here, I like a good mystery.

And this reminded me of a news story I read at some point this/last year. A woman received a book she had ordered 20 years ago for her young child. By the time the book came, the daughter had a child of her own.
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited October 2019
    Okay, firstly all of these are really cute ideas. I picked the Secret Santa one to challenge you! This sounds like a very good potential psychological horror story! :open_mouth:

I imagine all these sweet, normal gifts and notes like a Santa teddy bear that sings jingle bells :lol: but they don't just get strange...let's say it starts to get weird when another teddy bear comes, this time a snowman maybe, but his music box on the inside has been tampered with, so his jingle sounds distorted and spooky. :fearful: The next day, she gets a sinister sounding note, "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way! Oh what fun it is to hide under your bed all day!" So ya know she goes home and is super paranoid, but doesn't find anything out of the ordinary, so she goes to sleep like, "freaking pranksters! They almost got me!" Coming into work the next day, her coworkers immediately give her a look of horror because she received another Secret Santa gift for the day. This time, it's in a gift box that nobody dared open. She laughs and informs them this has all been a prank. It eases the minds of everyone in the office...until she opens the gift box and finds a Polaroid picture of herself sleeping. :astonished:

Okay, I'm going to end up writing a synopsis of the entire story :lol: So I'll leave it at that.

BUT I also want to say the Christmas card arriving 50 years too late was a strong contender for me. I think it could obviously be some timey wimey love stuff like Lake House or whatever but I think this would be far cuter:

-The card is sent to a 65 year old lady and has no return address. She's stunned because she was always an outcast in high school and thought nobody could ever love her considering how poorly she was treated. This leads her on a Serendipity-esque journey to find whoever this boy, now man, was who was secretively in love with her all those years ago.
    My proposed ending:
    Give it that feel good Hallmark Christmas movie feel by having her find out the card was from her husband. Whether he's alive, dead, or whatever doesn't matter because it's still cute. But, obviously, have him having passed away a few years prior is great for a bittersweet ending. :wink:
    @Emily4331 BRILLIANT! :lol: On both accounts. ;)
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I love all the ideas though! I'm a sappy hopeless romantic so for me, I could add romance to any of those!
    edited October 2019
    I love all the ideas though! I'm a sappy hopeless romantic so for me, I could add romance to any of those!

Gracey you KNOW I am the same! :mrgreen:

How sad that Idea 1 hasn't gotten any votes! :joy:

And to think that was the story I first wanted to go with. :p But I'm really beginning to lean toward the 50 year old Christmas card idea. :blush:
    I wanna write a story that people will wanna read! :star:
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    @emorrill , perhaps you could incorporate elements from idea 1 into your Christmas Card story if you choose that?
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    The post office loses things all the time, Im sure its no stretch to have a card wedged in between some equipment for a couple decades ;) then a little christmas magic loosens it up and it falls into the mail bags
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • WorramotWorramot Posts: 52 Member
    Woohoo! I’m winning. You can write a romantic ghost story.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,723 Member
    Can't believe the year is already nearly over! It feels like you were only sharing your last Christmas story like only a month ago :lol:

I have to go with the majority because the Christmas card story sounds wonderfully romantic. It reminded me of movies like PS: I Love You and Letters to Juliet (look them up if you haven't seen them ^^)

I can't wait to hear what you come up with. I bet it will be brilliant :kissing_heart:
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It just seems that there is huge potential for this story line. True friendship doesn't always equate to romance.
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    The post office loses things all the time, Im sure its no stretch to have a card wedged in between some equipment for a couple decades ;) then a little christmas magic loosens it up and it falls into the mail bags

@Goulsquash I was literally JUST thinking this! :smiley:
    coco wrote: »
    Can't believe the year is already nearly over! It feels like you were only sharing your last Christmas story like only a month ago :lol:

I have to go with the majority because the Christmas card story sounds wonderfully romantic. It reminded me of movies like PS: I Love You and Letters to Juliet (look them up if you haven't seen them ^^)

I can't wait to hear what you come up with. I bet it will be brilliant :kissing_heart:

You're sweet @coco :kissing_heart: Thank you. <3

I haven't seen those movies, but I've heard about them. ;)
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    This is the kind of story I imagine I would need a whole box of Kleenex for! It is oozing of happy crying. Or sad...
    NymlADp.jpg