Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason simmers welcolme other life simulator games.

I want to start by saying.I do not hate Sims 4.I like the game,but I will say the game is disappointing as a fourth installment in the franchise.EA became gimicky,and focus more on appearence.Than revouloutionary game play.
I love the sims,and life simulator games in general.I have a lot of farm games on my pc.Still nothing like the sims.Ea had no competition.I think competition is a good thing.It for one gives me more variety.Also it makes Ea put more effort in their products.

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Cities: Skylines completely destroyed Sim City. Blew it out of the water and shot it into orbit, never to be seen nor played again.

Maybe someone needs to do the same thing with Sims - scare EA into actually caring about their products.

I want the sims still around.But yes a little wake up to Ea.Im excited for paralives,and @Scobre had some links to other protjects.I heard a guy who works at Sims 3,And was the creator of second life.Is working with paradox.To make a new game
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Cities: Skylines completely destroyed Sim City. Blew it out of the water and shot it into orbit, never to be seen nor played again.

Maybe someone needs to do the same thing with Sims - scare EA into actually caring about their products.

Isn't Sim City a mobile game now? I'm on my phone so I can't easily check, but I remember that from somewhere.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Paralives can try all it wants, but the game looks horrible aesthetically.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    And well they should. Competition is always healthy.
    I can guarantee this though. Those developers have no idea what they are in for

I can state this with 100% certainty they will not be immune from the type of criticisms we see here on a regular basis.
    Only difference is the Sims has a 20 year head start.

Good luck with that Paralives team.
    edited October 2019

I think paralives look okay.Its still early in production.So we don't know the final design is going to like yet.Even if the characters dont look high tier.So what ? We play a game to play a game to play. Not to look at a picture.If paralives have good features like the whole altering bed thing.Than I can give it a look
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

And EA still makes money they sell Skylines on Origin or didn't you notice that. Also Colossal who made Skylines had said if EA had not said they were pulling Sim City they would never have published their game. They only published after EA announced they were pulling Sim City. So keep that in mind. Sometimes good companies that might want to make these kind of games don't as long as EA is making them - they wait.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019

I think paralives look okay.Its still early in production.So we don't know the final design is going to like yet.Even if the characters dont look high tier.So what ? We play a game to play a game to play. Not to look at a picture.If paralives have good features like the whole altering bed thing.Than I can give it a look

Actually it looks just like Sims mobile if you ask me and I can't stand mobile games. But to each their own - I do not have to like those games as many other people seem to love a lot of them. I just won't be one of them.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really welcome competition. It is healthy for business and produces lower prices and higher quality products, both which are top complaints for the Sims right now. I think only thing to save the Sims at this point is competition.

I just found out the other day Identity is out in Beta on Steam for those that want a more grown up game to play:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/792990/Identity/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »
    I really welcome competition. It is healthy for business and produces lower prices and higher quality products, both which are top complaints for the Sims right now. I think only thing to save the Sims at this point is competition.

I just found out the other day Identity is out in Beta on Steam for those that want a more grown up game to play:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/792990/Identity/

This seems interesting,and I just added to my wishlist. I will probably wait until they are more advance though.
    Also just to clarify,you are all allow to link any games,articals that you think are similar to the sims,or will be good competitors .Just to make it clear that is not off topic.
    This has to be my favorite life simulation game apart from the Sims called Stardew Valley. So much fun, no DLC needed for it and it was created by just one developer. Eric Barone is working on a more magical game too right now. It was released after the Sims 4 was and has been receiving extremely popular reviews for it. It is just a game that makes me happy and I can get lost in easily.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/413150/Stardew_Valley/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Eco is another game too which looks interesting. It is actually being used in school to teach students about environmental effects.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

Farm Together is what I have been playing a lot of with fellow Simmers. More of a farming simulator game, but still can have multiple homes to decorate in and just a chill game to play too. Like the Sims it does have DLC but it is actually cheaper to buy them bundled and the DLC is under $5 each.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/673950/Farm_Together/
    This has to be my favorite life simulation game apart from the Sims called Stardew Valley. So much fun, no DLC needed for it and it was created by just one developer. Eric Barone is working on a more magical game too right now. It was released after the Sims 4 was and has been receiving extremely popular reviews for it. It is just a game that makes me happy and I can get lost in easily.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/413150/Stardew_Valley/

I love stardewvalley.If you love that you should try My time at portia.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’m playing a game with a goose now with aesthetics that are way worse than Paralives and it’s hilarious. I’m really having fun. It reminds me of games I played in the eighties that completely relied on gameplay because graphics were plum back then.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m playing a game with a goose now with aesthetics that are way worse than Paralives and it’s hilarious. I’m really having fun. It reminds me of games I played in the eighties that completely relied on gameplay because graphics were plum back then.

Exactly, design can be forgiven.For good gameplay.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    I like variety in my gameplay, so it doesn't have to be strictly a simulation game to scratch the creative itch that I was able to indulge in past Sims games. Playable Worlds has just been announced, and although it is obviously quite a few years away, I am going to be keeping a very good eye on it.

Mainly what I want to replace that I feel like I lost with this iteration is the CREATIVE+FUN combination that came together in that Sims sort of way. I don't care what category of game it turns out to be so much, as long as it scratches that particular kind of itch in the way that The Sims always did for me in the past.

Either way, I am very much looking forward to moving forward when I find the right fit for me. I've been completely discouraged about having fun in a real modern Sims game for far too long now. When the time comes that there is a new adventure ready, I will be too.

I love stardewvalley.If you love that you should try My time at portia.
    I have My Time in Portia too. I love farming simulation games. Very good game and story too.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Oh Untitled Goose Game. I heard SimGuruFrost was playing that game too. It looked interesting. Yeah for me a game doesn't have to look aesthetically good to be fun. I mean if that was the case, games like Minecraft wouldn't have taken off as much as it did. Also how I get my Sims building practice is from playing Minecraft.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    EA really does need a kick in the gut. They've gotten complacent from having the only life sim of this caliber on the market. They feel like, since they have their audience by the nards to begin with, they can slack off and toss out any old thing and people will still buy the base every piece of DLC, because...well, where else are they going to go for their life sim/god game/ultimate architect/interior designer experience hybrid? Having other games that use the Sims formula and make innovations and provide a slightly different pace and feel to the gameplay will be a good thing for the whole life sim genre.

Genres with a lot of entries from multiple companies evolve and diversify onto a variety of different flavors. Platformers have grown and changed from 2D, "press right and jump to win" experiences like Super Mario Bros. into a variety of molds, from the shooter-platformer gameplay of the Mega Man franchise, to the speed-based gameplay of the Sonic games, to 3D collectathons like BanjoKazooie and Spyro, to puzzle-platformers like A Hat in Time and Super Mario Odyssey. Fighting games have moved from simplistic titles like Karate Champ, to Street Fighter II's blend of combos and special moves, to the bloody goodness of the Mortal Kombat games, to 3D martial arts mastery with series like Tekken and Virtua Fighter, to the weapon-based gameplay of the Soul Caliber games. Look at any game genre that has seen a lot of companies throw their hats into the ring, and you see lots of innovations, interesting-but-awkwardly-executed ideas, and even some successful dethroners-of-the-originator (the Street Figher games left Karate Champ smoldering in a heap as a footnote in gaming history, and Atari's Adventure is often forgotten in the minds of adventure game fans because The Legend of Zelda came along several years later and did it better). It's time for Sims-likes to grow as a genre, and for that to happen we need other companies putting out their own take on the formula.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member

Paralives will have mod support that allows users to overhaul its graphics. If you don't like the look, you'll be able to change it.

Graphics are secondary. It's like OP said, we don't buy a life simulator to look at a picture.

I've said it before, but Thomas Was Alone has a higher critic score and a higher user score than The Sims 4 on Metacritic and it won an Emmy, and that game is composed entirely of 2D shapes.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    I like variety in my gameplay, so it doesn't have to be strictly a simulation game to scratch the creative itch that I was able to indulge in past Sims games. Playable Worlds has just been announced, and although it is obviously quite a few years away, I am going to be keeping a very good eye on it.

Mainly what I want to replace that I feel like I lost with this iteration is the CREATIVE+FUN combination that came together in that Sims sort of way. I don't care what category of game it turns out to be so much, as long as it scratches that particular kind of itch in the way that The Sims always did for me in the past.

Either way, I am very much looking forward to moving forward when I find the right fit for me. I've been completely discouraged about having fun in a real modern Sims game for far too long now. When the time comes that there is a new adventure ready, I will be too.
    Yes, over the years I’ve come to that conclusion myself as well. And I suspect exactly that is one of the reasons Sims 4 can’t hold my attention. Because it’s not that I hate the game and it’s even not that I don’t enjoy it when playing (because I do to some extent). It’s just that it all feels so rigid, so one dimensional. The feature that comes closest to creativity would be the club system, but that turned out to be disappointing for me as well because the only result is sims doing predictable stuff and always the same. It just bores me too quickly.

@Scobre Yep, that’s the one :blush:
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
    Eco is another game too which looks interesting. It is actually being used in school to teach students about environmental effects.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

Farm Together is what I have been playing a lot of with fellow Simmers. More of a farming simulator game, but still can have multiple homes to decorate in and just a chill game to play too. Like the Sims it does have DLC but it is actually cheaper to buy them bundled and the DLC is under $5 each.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/673950/Farm_Together/

I have question in farm together can you have a family.I ask because I'm obsessed with family play.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Ummm... if I have to look at it and I don't like what I'm looking at, I'm not going to buy it.

It's become clear to me that Paralives only cares about build mode, and that I have no interest in.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Some games that made it big looked like it was quickly put together also being it is not in Alpha mode I would not expect it to look spectacular as there is an lot work that needs to creating an program and why some programs take more than an year or too. If Cities: Skylines can blow away Sim City, it may be done to Sims as well and in time we will see what happens. As far building goes that is only one part of the puzzle that they are working on now and the rest will fall in place as it progresses. I am intrugued by the building aspects even if it is the part they are working on now. If an company drops the ball and another picks it up and run with it I will support the better company and some are tired of waiting for EA/Maxis to bring thier A-game as the program is gimped and had been since it inception.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen