Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag?

Comments

• To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I think it is totally unnecessary
    Some of you voting "Unnecessary" because you equate the word "Abuse" with the word "violence" need to read a book.

Also, I'm in favor of this; don't buy and show where you stand as a consumer. If you pay for content and still cry about it because it plum and S4 does too, thats on you!

Excuse me? Avid reader here, what does that have to do with anything? Sorry, but if you think EA are abusing you, you’re really out of whack. They’re taking advantage of the position they hold over this game genre, yeah, but it’s not abuse. None of us are actually being forced to be here or buy anything. We do it because we choose to.

If anything I’d say EA walk over their customers, but abuse? No way.

The average person doesn’t think of EA when they hear abuse, let me tell you. I really hope none of y’all know what real abuse can look like, because this isn’t it. Not one bit. There is a BIG difference between what EA are doing and actual mental, physical/sexual or substance abuse, which is what 99% of people are going to think of when they see that hashtag.

Abuse? Lol don’t make me laugh. And I’ve been abused, I know what it actually is like and I 100% do not feel like EA are abusing me. I don’t *have* to buy anything. I can just never think of them again. It has no impact of my life or wellbeing.

I still think of my abuser 20 years down the line. Trust me, EA are *nice* compared to what real abuse does to a person.

This really isn’t the place for discussion like this. The thread needs to be closed, and if you think EA are abusing you, don’t buy their games. Problem solved. Wait for another sims type game because they’ll be one eventually, or play the ones we have, I do.

—T

• Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    I agree and support the idea
    To7m wrote: »
    Some of you voting "Unnecessary" because you equate the word "Abuse" with the word "violence" need to read a book.

Also, I'm in favor of this; don't buy and show where you stand as a consumer. If you pay for content and still cry about it because it plum and S4 does too, thats on you!

Excuse me? Avid reader here, what does that have to do with anything? Sorry, but if you think EA are abusing you, you’re really out of whack. They’re taking advantage of the position they hold over this game genre, yeah, but it’s not abuse. None of us are actually being forced to be here or buy anything. We do it because we choose to.

ABUSE

noun
    noun: abuse; plural noun: abuses
    /əˈbjuːs/
    the improper use of something.

Similar:
    misuse
    misapplication
    misemployment
    mishandling
    exploitation
    perversion
    unjust or corrupt practice.

The average person doesn’t think of EA when they hear abuse, let me tell you. I really hope none of y’all know what real abuse can look like, because this isn’t it. Not one bit. There is a BIG difference between what EA are doing and actual mental, physical/sexual or substance abuse, which is what 99% of people are going to think of when they see that hashtag.

Abuse? Lol don’t make me laugh. And I’ve been abused, I know what it actually is like and I 100% do not feel like EA are abusing me. I don’t *have* to buy anything. I can just never think of them again. It has no impact of my life or wellbeing.

I still think of my abuser 20 years down the line. Trust me, EA are *nice* compared to what real abuse does to a person.

Can you be more entitled than that?
    Why do 99% of people will assume the word "abuse" is being used as a verb instead of a noun in this topic?
    This really isn’t the place for discussion like this. The thread needs to be closed, and if you think EA are abusing you, don’t buy their games. Problem solved. Wait for another sims type game because they’ll be one eventually, or play the ones we have, I do.

—T

Maybe it is! If we are free to do it we can take part, or if we disagree with the word we can change to other like #EAListen or something and simple mute the one that is triggering you.This is an issue with two sides and if people can't find a middle term in it we have a problem! It will be drama vs drama and in that case it could be abusive to any people who will find it offensive in any way.

Keep in mind that im not here to attack you and Im really sorry for everything that happened to you. But we have to keep in mind that things are not so simple that way and we all have one thing in common! We all love this franchise and we all want the best for it despite the version we play. If I feel something is wrong I will do anything to try at least change something!

I made this post to make a peaceful conversation about what is planned to happen tomorrow on social media! You all can participate despite the hashtag you use! What really matters here is trying to make EA listen! If you really understand what is the idea behind of this you can take it in a way whatever you want!

Its easy to say not buy but you know this is the only game of this genre in the market and if you are an old player you already saw this same company doing things way better! There are tones of people that maybe were always defending this franchise that has been totally exploited because they have fear of what happened to old maxis brands like SimCity or Spore? Or they are just new players or people that started with The Sims 3 but they had a bad experience with it for some reason...
    Things go behind simple when a fanbase is passionate about the game. I will tell you it would be much easier if I had another choices and just leave this community forever but you maybe know that doesn't work like this in reality! Believe me! I would rather not be doing this and take my time in other things but I feel like we need to do something!

In conclusion both sides have valid points and if we start arguing who is right or not nothing will change and more years of exploiting The Sims franchise will continue!

Maybe it is shocking but at least is making an impact already! This community is talking about this right now and only tomorrow we will see what will happen. #EAListen is the word I choosed to use and despite tat I also understand the one with the "abuse word and I don't feel the need to tell another people to things how I think because thats not part of who I am!

Sorry for this long post and also sorry for my english because Im obviously not a native speaker.

I wish you all a good day!

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Clever attempt to promote the hashtag with a thread, but it's stupid. I am getting more value for my money from TS4 than I did in TS3, which I spent a TON on. I think the outrage is overblown and inappropriate. If you don't feel it's worth your money, don't spend your money.

Fair point, but in turn it would seem they would get down to work, and start fixing what they break or what came out broken, so those who have already tried their games and add on packs could enjoy or try to enjoy what they have already spent good money on. I'm all for don't throw good money after bad. I can hardly feel sorry for consumers who know the song and dance and keep spending.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse
    @Renato10 the existence of one definition doesn't erase another.
    Several people have said that they have an issue with the word "abuse" because of its connotation for English speakers. Telling them that the word also has other meanings is dismissive of their concerns.
    Why do 99% of people will assume the word "abuse" is being used as a verb instead of a noun in this topic?

abuse
    noun
    /əˈbjuːs/
    "alcohol abuse"

cruel and violent treatment of a person or animal.

Nothing to do with verb vs noun, everything to do with various meanings.

My personal problem with the word choice is that it's not going to create room for conversation, not with evoking strong feelings on all sides, which it obviously does. I understand that translations of the word don't carry that same charge, which is why some people pointed out it wasn't a good choice.
    Also, a little late for a discussion here when the hashtag is already running on twitter. Hardly leaves space for a change.
    edited October 2019
    Several people have said that they have an issue with the word "abuse" because of its connotation for English speakers. Telling them that the word also has other meanings is dismissive of their concerns.

abuse
    noun
    /əˈbjuːs/
    "alcohol abuse"

My personal problem with the word choice is that it's not going to create room for conversation, not with evoking strong feelings on all sides, which it obviously does. I understand that translations of the word don't carry that same charge, which is why some people pointed out it wasn't a good choice.
    Also, a little late for a discussion here when the hashtag is already running on twitter. Hardly leaves space for a change.

So if everyone knows how both sides have their own reasons why try to shut up one of the sides? You don't agree, you mute, you ignore, you take part of it in other ways if you want. Making a war out of this just discredit the original idea! Why is so difficult for some people in agree to disagree? You talked about your "personal problem" and thats the point! Its your problem not everyone's problem.
    Renato10 wrote: »

abuse
    noun
    /əˈbjuːs/
    "alcohol abuse"

So if everyone knows how both sides have their own reasons why try to shut up one of the sides? You don't agree, you mute, you ignore, you take part of it in other ways if you want. Making a war out of this just discredit the original idea! Why is so difficult for some people in agree to disagree? You talked about your "personal problem" and thats the point! Its your problem not everyone's problem.

Then I don't see a reason for this thread other than promoting this campaign. It's certainly not going to open a discussion when you're already saying that anyone who does have a problem with the word choice won't be considered.

Abuse tends to be a deeply personal issue. There are many people who are likely to look at the hashtag and have it evoke PERSONAL problems and associate it with what they've been through or are going though. You dismissing that is absolutely unhelpful to anyone.
    There's a difference between "agree to disagree" and "not my problem you're being hurt".

What you said here now tells me that all you wanted was support for the hashtag campaign, not actual input on it.
    edited October 2019

abuse
    noun
    /əˈbjuːs/
    "alcohol abuse"

Then I don't see a reason for this thread other than promoting this campaign. It's certainly not going to open a discussion when you're already saying that anyone who does have a problem with the word choice won't be considered.

Abuse tends to be a deeply personal issue. There are many people who are likely to look at the hashtag and have it evoke PERSONAL problems and associate it with what they've been through or are going though. You dismissing that is absolutely unhelpful to anyone.
    There's a difference between "agree to disagree" and "not my problem you're being hurt".

What you said here now tells me that all you wanted was support for the hashtag campaign, not actual input on it.

Im not telling that people will not be considered! Im telling that everyone should be moderate!
    I started a poll to actuall put input on this topic. If I wanted just to promote I would make a thread pleasing people to join me. I already told that we are all free of doing what we think is right for us! And then you are just trying to put your own beliefs in my words and Im sorry if I don't express myself in better ways because I really wish I could... but its hard thinking in my native language and trying my best to put into words of a language that I don't speak fluently.

abuse
    noun
    /əˈbjuːs/
    "alcohol abuse"

Im not telling that people will not be considered! Im telling that everyone should be moderate!
    I started a poll to actuall put input on this topic. If I wanted just to promote I would make a thread pleasing people to join me. I already told that we are all free of doing what we think is right for us! And then you are just trying to put your own beliefs in my words and Im sorry if I don't express myself in better ways because I really wish I could... but its hard thinking in my native language and trying my best to put into words of a language that I don't speak fluently.

Language barriers are difficult, I understand that. (English is my primary language but not my first).

What I'm saying is that: the hashtag and campaign were created in English and if you wanted to get feedback from fellow Simmers (and others), then maybe that should have been done before starting.

For many people, abuse is a word that evokes strong reactions, regardless of the various definitions it has. Sure, "abuse" can also mean misuse but it's heavily associated with violence, physical and emotional. If the point of the campaign is to make EA listen, that would have been a better option instead.

The reason I said you're not willing to actually listen to feedback is because *you* said "your personal problem is not everyone's problem". No, it's not, but you had several people expressing their discomfort with the use of "abuse" and dismissed them. If you're trying to avoid dividing Simmers, maybe telling them "just ignore it if it's triggering" isn't the way.

Obviously, you're free to do whatever you want. Doesn't mean people have to be comfortable with it and not speak up if they have an issue.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I think it will not change anything at all
    EA doesn't care about some half-baked twitter campaign.

Are they still getting money? Yes.

Will they change their business practices of forcing the Sims team to release unfinished and poorly made content? No.

abuse
    noun
    /əˈbjuːs/
    "alcohol abuse"

Language barriers are difficult, I understand that. (English is my primary language but not my first).

What I'm saying is that: the hashtag and campaign were created in English and if you wanted to get feedback from fellow Simmers (and others), then maybe that should have been done before starting.

For many people, abuse is a word that evokes strong reactions, regardless of the various definitions it has. Sure, "abuse" can also mean misuse but it's heavily associated with violence, physical and emotional. If the point of the campaign is to make EA listen, that would have been a better option instead.

The reason I said you're not willing to actually listen to feedback is because *you* said "your personal problem is not everyone's problem". No, it's not, but you had several people expressing their discomfort with the use of "abuse" and dismissed them. If you're trying to avoid dividing Simmers, maybe telling them "just ignore it if it's triggering" isn't the way.

Obviously, you're free to do whatever you want. Doesn't mean people have to be comfortable with it and not speak up if they have an issue.

I didn't express myself very well and I admit that! I was trying to make a valid point that both sides should be respectful to each other. I was not trying to say for people with the issue to be confortable.
    I don't want to be arguing with you, believe me!
    I should say that I also find EAListen better. I just voted that I support because I support the idea behind it! Im obviously not offended by the first one but I would like also to see people tthat don't like it reach the others that are using it without discrediting totally the movement that could be, we never know, benefit for all!

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    I see where they're coming from. I really, truly do.

But I'm not going to stop buying packs. I only have a few, and if I don't buy more I'll be playing this empty shell with almost no middle for a long time.

The packs don't fill the middle. The packs sit on top of that empty shell. It won't fill in, it cracks.

Even when the packs were pretty good, it was the base game that drove me away time and again.
    Same here. And even though some packs are ok and some are even good, it all feels like damage control to me. And then there’s this outrageous plan to keep developing clearly old, copied, reinvented content in new bottles and a lot of paint to cover it up ‘for years to come’. That’s the most scandalous part. I have a strong feeling the game reached its limits (limits that were obvious and made the game suffer from the start) but they just continue popping out packs that are mediocre at best, just because they can. And that’s what this hashtag (its underlying idea) mainly stands for for me.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Either way I'm supporting. I haven't bought a pack in a long time anyway And don't plan to. Heck I can't even load up the game and get through a few minutes of game play without being upset about the bugs that come up. I mean this probably won't do much but it's worth a try.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

ABUSE

noun
    /əˈbjuːs/

Similar:
    misuse
    misapplication
    misemployment
    mishandling
    exploitation
    perversion

—T

Maybe it is! If we are free to do it we can take part, or if we disagree with the word we can change to other like #EAListen or something and simple mute the one that is triggering you.This is an issue with two sides and if people can't find a middle term in it we have a problem! It will be drama vs drama and in that case it could be abusive to any people who will find it offensive in any way.

Keep in mind that im not here to attack you and Im really sorry for everything that happened to you. But we have to keep in mind that things are not so simple that way and we all have one thing in common! We all love this franchise and we all want the best for it despite the version we play. If I feel something is wrong I will do anything to try at least change something!

I made this post to make a peaceful conversation about what is planned to happen tomorrow on social media! You all can participate despite the hashtag you use! What really matters here is trying to make EA listen! If you really understand what is the idea behind of this you can take it in a way whatever you want!

Its easy to say not buy but you know this is the only game of this genre in the market and if you are an old player you already saw this same company doing things way better! There are tones of people that maybe were always defending this franchise that has been totally exploited because they have fear of what happened to old maxis brands like SimCity or Spore? Or they are just new players or people that started with The Sims 3 but they had a bad experience with it for some reason...
    Things go behind simple when a fanbase is passionate about the game. I will tell you it would be much easier if I had another choices and just leave this community forever but you maybe know that doesn't work like this in reality! Believe me! I would rather not be doing this and take my time in other things but I feel like we need to do something!

In conclusion both sides have valid points and if we start arguing who is right or not nothing will change and more years of exploiting The Sims franchise will continue!

Maybe it is shocking but at least is making an impact already! This community is talking about this right now and only tomorrow we will see what will happen. #EAListen is the word I choosed to use and despite tat I also understand the one with the "abuse word and I don't feel the need to tell another people to things how I think because thats not part of who I am!

Sorry for this long post and also sorry for my english because Im obviously not a native speaker.

I do not assume. 99% of the time, abuse means something violent or along the lines of.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that when you see the word abuse, you think of EA taking advantage of their customer base? Because I don’t, and nobody in their right mind would either. Seeing the word abuse does not bring up thoughts of video gaming.

Like I said, I know what it feels like and this isn’t it. You’re trying to make light of a word that the VAST majority of the public view as something quite serious. Not a video game company. Verb or noun? Are you for real?

I’m actually rather appalled at a lot of you. EA are not abusing you. I’ll be the first person to criticise them, and demand better quality content, but abuse? You think EA are abusing you? Are you being serious?

Real abuse can destroy an entire family, devastate it, and you think this is what EA are doing? The only thing they are destroying is their own reputation.

—T
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Rod Humble is working on a game too at Paradox Interactive and he worked on both Sims and Second Life:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/former-sims-and-second-life-boss-is-launching-a-new-paradox-studio/
    This is amazing I cant wait to see what will come of it. If they use Cities: Skylines as a world builder I'm jumping ship so fast. The SimCity-like Cities: Skylines is one of Paradox's most successful (and mainstream) games but it doesn't have a comparable Sims-style series, so pushing into that seems like a natural move.

You do know Origin sell that games and makes money off of it too. Right? What's more they did none of the work. LOL. Colossal made the game - Paradox is only it's publisher. And they sell it on Origin. Ironic or what.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited October 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Rod Humble is working on a game too at Paradox Interactive and he worked on both Sims and Second Life:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/former-sims-and-second-life-boss-is-launching-a-new-paradox-studio/
    This is amazing I cant wait to see what will come of it. If they use Cities: Skylines as a world builder I'm jumping ship so fast. The SimCity-like Cities: Skylines is one of Paradox's most successful (and mainstream) games but it doesn't have a comparable Sims-style series, so pushing into that seems like a natural move.

You do know Origin sell that games and makes money off of it too. Right? What's more they did none of the work. LOL. Colossal made the game - Paradox is only it's publisher. And they sell it on Origin. Ironic or what.

I think the massive majority plays and buy Cities Skylines on steam! Yeah its on origin but who really cares?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I think the massive majority plays and buy Cities Skylines on steam! Yeah its on origin but who really cares?
    Yeah I bought it through Steam too. Any way I can avoid using Origin I will. Even Epic Games is a more optimized gaming client.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

ABUSE

noun
    /əˈbjuːs/

Similar:
    misuse
    misapplication
    misemployment
    mishandling
    exploitation
    perversion

—T

I do not assume. 99% of the time, abuse means something violent or along the lines of.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that when you see the word abuse, you think of EA taking advantage of their customer base? Because I don’t, and nobody in their right mind would either. Seeing the word abuse does not bring up thoughts of video gaming.

No, I don't think of EA because I know how to separate different scenarios! Maybe because in my mother language this word doesn't have this big stigma associated with, at least not in the strong way, so I can easily distinguish the context the word is used.

As I said, EAListen is an alternative and I believe the main point of all of this should not be discarded.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think it's stupid, but I don't think it's offensive.

Maybe stupid is the wrong word.... It makes sense that someone who is unhappy should vote with their wallet and stop purchasing content. I just think it's pointless trying to rally people to do that- because they probably already are.

If anyone is troubled by the word "abuse," that's something they'll honestly have to get over because it's a rather common word and its meaning goes further than the verbal/physical/mental kinds.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • ClownlingClownling Posts: 18 Member
    As someone who was abused for about 9-10 years of my early life by various people, I didn't immediately think "EA is being violent" by the wording. When I grew up, and even nowadays, children shout "ABUSE" at literally anything they see, because they've made it into a joke already. This is not on that level- EA is mistreating their fans who have been here for years, and considering how much you have to pay even for just the base game, which includes way less than most games that price do, it's understandable people are upset! They're being mistreated, and swept under the rug!

I think EA really does need to focus on fixing the main game instead of releasing pack after pack after pack- A pack was just released and they're moving onto the next and haven't been giving practically any major game play stuff, nor traits, nor personalities, nor more options than what we have now. The fact you had to pay money to do anything WITH the toddlers was tiring. The fact you have to spend easily over $200 (CAD) to get enough interesting things to do with your sims to play for more than just simply making a story is tiring. I loved Strangeville because it wrote a story by itself that you could follow, but even IT was lacking outside of that town.

Something needs to happen here, and maybe this protest isn't the BEST way to do it with how vaguely the wants are worded, but there's a lot to be fixed. Honestly, I'd love it if they stopped making packs for a little bit as they improved main game play features- I think a lot of people would, as it'd give their wallets a rest too.

Sorry if this is roughly worded, but most of my friends, whom have also went through abuse, wouldn't immediately assume the tag was for violence either. But EAListen is a good tag too. And from Merriam-Webster:

noun
    1: a corrupt practice or custom
    2: improper or excessive use or treatment

verb
    1: to put to a wrong or improper use

...And you could easily make an argument as to how EA is misusing their fans and power.
    Clownin' Around
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    Can we drop the ‘abuse’ part of this hashtag? I think all visions on that subject have been shared and it’s draws away the attention of what it’s actually about: EA most definitely taking advantage of their monopoly position. Still not sure how we as individual players can influence that (I mean, I haven’t been buying for ages myself and it doesn’t help one bit) but thát is the issue they want to adress. It’s not abuse in the violence meaning of the word and I don’t think anyone claims it is. I do see some form of Stockholm Syndrom among players though and I just do find that.... fascinating?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I agree with the thoughts behind the movement, and so far, my recent experience with s4 has been sadly negative, so I'm glad it's getting some attention. I also haven't purchased anything since IL, so I'm kinda voting with my wallet too (don't know how long it'll stick though, esp. bc uni seems to be coming soon! :) )

As for the use of the word 'abuse', I've heard it used in this way before - for example, I've heard of companies abusing customer loyalty, abusing trust, abusing goodwill - mostly among the older generation where I'm from (aus).

To me, this use is normal, and in this case, I feel EA is abusing the loyalty consumers feel towards the brand. For example, the sims is a very strong, if expensive, name, and generally means quality, innovation, and strong gameplay.

Subjectively, I don't think S4 meets those standards. Objectively, the current bugs are not acceptable - eg. the non-sellable potions.

However, I also understand why some victims of abuse may feel like the hashtag is making light of their situation (non-players especially), since it is for a game.

In terms of strength, EAListen is stronger, because it's a call to action. That said, the hashtag originated from Spanish, which imo needs to be taken into account when judging if it's too much, especially if the original translator/hastagger was not english speaking.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Abuse sounds a bit odd when used to describe the current thoughts about EA. If one buys new dlc and finds it is lacking, buggy, etc. but then buys more dlc, the purchaser is at fault for expecting more. Because after everything we have seen in the past few packs, does anyone truly expect a sudden change where new packs won't be more of the same? The only way EA will make a change is if everyone stops buying any game published by EA. How long ago did EA announce they had reached one billion dollars in sales just from Sims4? Do the math then tell me how little of that one billion dollars went into the development of new dlc for Sims4. If EA had invested even five percent of that billion into this game, it would be off the charts in terms of game play and quality. My guess is a huge chunk of that billion went into the development of the mobile and console versions of Sims4, and not into the PC version. While an even larger chunk of it went into the pockets of EA's shareholders, marketing team and CEOs. Ask yourself this question: How is it the console version of Sims4 has all the dlc we have for the PC version when the console version was released less than two years ago? The money needed to develop that content had to come from somewhere. And after seeing what hasn't been done to make Sims4 better, or even much of an attempt being made at fixing bugs that are four years old, it does not appear as if the PC version of Sims4 is a priority at EA HQ. I wish the leaders of the hashtag revolt much luck, and maybe EA will take notice of it seeing as this might make headlines on social media outlets all over the world. Especially if it impacts their sales numbers.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    edited October 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I do see some form of Stockholm Syndrom among players though and I just do find that.... fascinating?

Lol are you serious? 😀 I'll just forgo the therapy and wait for the next pack.

Just wanted to add a definition of Stockholm Syndrome for those not familiar.

Stockholm syndrome is a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity.

So in this case EA is the captor and simmers are the hostages. Unable to break away no matter how they're treated.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Aeren90Aeren90 Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2019

ABUSE

noun
    /əˈbjuːs/

Similar:
    misuse
    misapplication
    misemployment
    mishandling
    exploitation
    perversion

—T

Like I said, I know what it feels like and this isn’t it. You’re trying to make light of a word that the VAST majority of the public view as something quite serious. Not a video game company. Verb or noun? Are you for real?

I’m actually rather appalled at a lot of you. EA are not abusing you. I’ll be the first person to criticise them, and demand better quality content, but abuse? You think EA are abusing you? Are you being serious?

Real abuse can destroy an entire family, devastate it, and you think this is what EA are doing? The only thing they are destroying is their own reputation.

—T

I’m Spanish and what I actually thought was that EA was taking advantage of their consumers. It also can mean violence, sexual abuse and so on, when looking it up on the dictionary it has the same meanings as in English, but I think the difference is that we keep using the other meanings, so we don’t associate it with the sexual and violent meaning unless in context. I saw one comment where a French user stated the same.

We also say “abusar de su poder” (take advantage of their power) when talking about big corporations.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I think its unnecessary and disagree with it granted there is still a lot of content missing we still have 3 or more years of packs.