Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag?

Comments

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I think it will not change anything at all
    If #bringbacknationaldex isn't going to work for a company that actually cares about its games and community (Nintendo/gamefreak), then #stopeaabuse or whatever the heck it is isn't going to do anything.

Just let it die and burn out.

Have the people making the Pokémon games ever responded well to criticism? People have complained about the games being way too linear for years, and Sun/Moon were practically on train tracks.

Anyway, that’s what that hashtag is about? I thought it was something way dumber because the first person I saw use it was one of those “I use custom thumbnails so my cc sims look cc free, why don’t I have any Maxis Favourites yet???” people.

Either way, I really don’t think it’ll do anything.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Such a great attention getting hashtag if I was on Twitter I'd join along seeing as I completely agree not only was the base game obviously incomplete pack after pack are as well. People have every right to call EA out on this 3 years on toddlers still no cars cops robbers and robotic Sims with icons that say their emotions but no animations and game play to go along with it.

Yes, but abuse? Do you honestly think that is abuse? As somebody that has been abused (and doesn’t take offence to every little thing because you know, I have a brain) I actually find this slightly offensive lol.

Y’all just best hope you never know the meaning of real abuse. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

—T
    Again, you are talking about one specific meaning of the word abuse. One can say EA abuses their monopoly position for this franchise can't you? Because that they most definitely do and they've been doing it for years. This has nothing to do with the question whether you like the game or not. I love Sims 3 but also that game suffered from it (in price and in rushing things). "They'll buy anyway".

I know I agree with you. There are many meanings, yada, yada. But really, in the general population when one hears abuse, you don’t think of dodgy game companies. I think, just in this sense, abuse is not the word.

Maybe it is because I’ve been abused. But when I hear abuse, I think of violence, not EA 🤷🏼‍♂️

—T
    I can imagine and I'm really sorry that happened to you (and any other victim), it's horrible. I agree it's not a very wise choice for a hashtag. #StopEAexploit would be my personal preference. The thing is, there's only one way to stop that from happening: competition. So, on second thought, I vote for #Paralives B)
    5JZ57S6.png
    ::Rolls eyes at the entitlement:: Things like prescription drugs, clean water, safe housing, yes. Video games, no. If the game isn't fun anymore, find another hobby. (I did, when the game came out without my toddlers.)
    If only me finding another hobby (I actually have more than one already) would improve Sims 4. Problem is that won't make any difference. Plus, tweeting with a certain hashtag doesn't mean you stop worrying about climate change or world peace or clean water or whatever other big issue. It just means you regret what's happening to a franchise you love and that has no alternatives. That's not entitled, that's just the way it is for many people.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I think it is totally unnecessary
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Such a great attention getting hashtag if I was on Twitter I'd join along seeing as I completely agree not only was the base game obviously incomplete pack after pack are as well. People have every right to call EA out on this 3 years on toddlers still no cars cops robbers and robotic Sims with icons that say their emotions but no animations and game play to go along with it.

Yes, but abuse? Do you honestly think that is abuse? As somebody that has been abused (and doesn’t take offence to every little thing because you know, I have a brain) I actually find this slightly offensive lol.

Y’all just best hope you never know the meaning of real abuse. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

—T
    Again, you are talking about one specific meaning of the word abuse. One can say EA abuses their monopoly position for this franchise can't you? Because that they most definitely do and they've been doing it for years. This has nothing to do with the question whether you like the game or not. I love Sims 3 but also that game suffered from it (in price and in rushing things). "They'll buy anyway".

I know I agree with you. There are many meanings, yada, yada. But really, in the general population when one hears abuse, you don’t think of dodgy game companies. I think, just in this sense, abuse is not the word.

Maybe it is because I’ve been abused. But when I hear abuse, I think of violence, not EA 🤷🏼‍♂️

—T
    I can imagine and I'm really sorry that happened to you (and any other victim), it's horrible. I agree it's not a very wise choice for a hashtag. #StopEAexploit would be my personal preference. The thing is, there's only one way to stop that from happening: competition. So, on second thought, I vote for #Paralives B)

Thanks 😊 it was a long time ago, I have made my peace with it. In a way I was lucky I was rather young, I don’t think I grasped the severity of it, and when I was old enough to realise “holy plum, that happened” I had processed and dealt with it, but it does annoy me when people make light of the word, it has such a darker meaning for me, but then how is anyone to know that if they didn’t know me so I guess it’s a catch 22.

I am definitely behind the idea of it though, EA need a kick on the bottom because like you I’m voting #Paralives too, if it continues like this.

—T
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I agree and support the idea
    I do actually agree with it.
    We do seem to get very little for our money in the packs and are not listened to..
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Clever attempt to promote the hashtag with a thread, but it's stupid. I am getting more value for my money from TS4 than I did in TS3, which I spent a TON on. I think the outrage is overblown and inappropriate. If you don't feel it's worth your money, don't spend your money.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    There wasn't really an "i don't care" option it I'd have picked it. My reason for not thinking it is necessary is because I think sims 4 is the best game of all time (for me) including all games not just sims or ea ones. So I'm gonna keep buying all packs that I am interested in. And not buying ones I'm not... But those are few and far between.
  • RaichisimsRaichisims Posts: 61 Member
    Sims 4 has been the most accommodating version of sims up until now, they take so much feedback from the community to heart, and it just shows to prove people will never be happy/satisfied. People will always see the stuff they don't have and complain, instead of realizing what they do have and just.. enjoy.

Making trans-sims? Totally a thing now, why? Because Sims 4 is the most progressive game out there in an industry that is still largely creating sexist products. (male lead characters in games, males wearing full body armor while females look like they from the moulin-rouge, males having a wide variety of body shapes in mmo's and females all having the same generic sexy human bodyshape etc.etc.)

We wanted pets? They gave us pets!

We wanted seasons? They gave us seasons!

We wanted vampires and magic? They gave us that!

If you really want EA to listen, your energy is far better spent asking them nicely by making posts in Answers HQ in the feedback session, they even award you points/badges for doing so to encourage people. I really don't understand how people are so quick to support a negative approach when there are better ways of achieving what you want.

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2019
    One thing I'll say for EA -- they have not shied away from LGBTQIA+ issues at all. Not only in the Sims, you'll see this in their other franchises as well. It's one reason why I have supported them as much as I have.

However, Sims 4 has a lot of surface features, but that doesn't mean that what they have given us is deep and immersive. I've said this before, and I'll say it again -- I am a caretaker for my elderly parents. When they're doing poorly, I play Sims 4 because it doesn't really absorb me, it just entertains me. If I sit and play it normally, I'll play for an hour or so. If I boot up Sims 3, and now Sims 2, I have to set an alarm because if I don't, I will have lost an entire day or if I play after dinner, I'll be up all night. And it seems like the same amount of time has passed.

Then again, I also have to set an alarm while playing most games that I enjoy. Sims 4 is one of the few that I play like a mobile game. That's the reason I play it -- it kills a little bit of time without sucking me in.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I think there are better solutions (tell in comments)
    I would rather if we could target the constructive feedback towards specific team, guru or even the game changers themselves since their voices often be heard. Be specific & precise or perhaps provide examples or even better, direct them to the link of discussion on the forum. The # is a great idea, but the chosen word is not.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • usualsuspectusualsuspect Posts: 76 Member
    When I first saw #StopEAAbuse, I took that as a stand for players to stop verbally abusing each other. I'd support that, but not the actual intent of the hashtag. *shakes head*
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    The words StopEAAbuse suggests to me that players are abusing EA, and that was my first thought when I read the title of this post.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited October 2019
    I also thought it was telling players not to abuse ea when i saw the title haha 😂

I think it silly to try and tell others how to spend their money and expect them to listen.

It'd be even sillier for those of us wanting to buy it to not do so just because a random group of people on Twitter used a hashtag saying we shouldn't. Like, no one is going to stop because of the hashtag lol

Just something to be ignored really. I think some ppl just like attention and drama.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    ::Rolls eyes at the entitlement:: Things like prescription drugs, clean water, safe housing, yes. Video games, no. If the game isn't fun anymore, find another hobby. (I did, when the game came out without my toddlers.)
    The game has cost at least $600 up to this point if you have purchased every pack at release entitlement is not the word you're looking for next time try "customers expecting a quality product they pay for" Is it that hard for you to understand people might like some aspects of this game but want to see an improvement and for how much it cost that's the least EA should do.

Target should try your slogan... Expect less, Pay more.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    @To7m i would appreciate if you stopped putting words into my posts that I never wrote. I said exactly nothing about quality, I talked about enjoyment of a game. The two things don’t necessarily correlate for me (And a lot of others). I’m not going to discuss what quality means because there are many aspects that can’t be determined easily. It’s also irrelevant to the topic of this thread.
    Your statement about people universally enjoying the previous games more is also not true. It depends on who you listen to.

I stand by what I said: calling people blind and naive for enjoying TS4 while assuming they aren’t critical of it and of EA at all is insulting.

THANK YOU.
    edited October 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Clever attempt to promote the hashtag with a thread, but it's stupid. I am getting more value for my money from TS4 than I did in TS3, which I spent a TON on. I think the outrage is overblown and inappropriate. If you don't feel it's worth your money, don't spend your money.
    What makes you think this hashtag only applies to Sims 4? This was already happening during Sims 3. And I got every piece of value for my money out of Sims 3 personally (considering how much I’ve played it and still do, converted I got the game practically for nothing by now). That doesn’t change the fact the thought behind the hashtag is spot on. Why oh why do people act as if EA transformed into a completely different company as if by magic September 2nd 2014.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    Well I agree and have zero plans to buy anymore products from EA for the foreseeable future. I mean they have stripped the game to the point where things are going backwards instead of forward like they should be in a game that is a continuation of a solid series. A good example is cars.

Sims 2: Ownable cars with lots of interactions and realistic animations that included actually entering and exiting vehicles.
    Sims 3: Ownable cars with interactions but no animations. Sims just teleported to get inside and then, boom! They were off to their destination.
    Sims 4: No cars in sight.

Yeah, I'm not paying for less content anymore.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    I see where they're coming from. I really, truly do.

But I'm not going to stop buying packs. I only have a few, and if I don't buy more I'll be playing this empty shell with almost no middle for a long time.

The packs don't fill the middle. The packs sit on top of that empty shell. It won't fill in, it cracks.

Even when the packs were pretty good, it was the base game that drove me away time and again.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited October 2019
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Honestly? I think it's silly.

Sure, there are issues with the game, but it's not abuse. Nobody's sticking a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy anything. In addition there's more and earlier information about each pack that comes out so people can be readily informed before spending a single dollar.

People need to take ownership for their decisions. "Abuse" is definitely the wrong term.

I agree that abuse is a strong word but to say we should take ownership for decisions i find a bit upsetting. Look EA is releasing content and while they are telling us all this wonderful stuff that is in the game, when we get it things are not even working.

They are the ones who should take ownership and fix their game. When I decide to buy a game based on the features they state are there, it should work. When a QA is on Twitter the day something is released stating they are finding bugs, I am wondering why these things were not caught before release. No they are the ones who should take ownership.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I understand but I will not take part
    Well, EA HAS been abusing their customers. It's been emotional and psychological abuse in the form of broken promises and exploiting the connection that the fans have to the series, stringing them along with every new release with the promise of game-changing content, only to just deliver more tiny worlds and almost-good gameplay. They've been especially stingy with supernatural content, which is why I decided that I'd keep my money unless a supernatural pack I wanted was released, and only then in a bundle. That's why I bought "Realm of Magic," but only in a bundle with "Cats and Dogs" and "Spooky Stuff" so I still didn't pay full price for Jack Squat! I'm doing the same when Werewolves come out. Until then, I'm not buying a single GP, EP, or SP. Gimme what I want or I won't spend a dime.

I totally agree with the stance of those who are voting with their dollars and coming together publicly to show it. Heck, if having the word "abuse" in the hashtag brings more attention to it and gets people looking at this issue that otherwise wouldn't even think about it, all the better. The gaming community as a whole is on the behinds of AAA publishers about their increasingly exploitative business practices and the waning quality of their products, it's time for simmers to get the spotlight shone on their AAA gaming horror story!!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited October 2019
    Abuse might be over dramatic, it might not, many people become invested in characters in books or movies and experience strong emotions if that character or franchise is suddenly killed off (especially if it ends really badly), so I don't see which it shouldn't be the same for games.

The Sims is owned by EA who are, at present, the only life simulator makers on the market (not that TS4 IS a life simulator), and they've been manipulating, lying to, and cheating the Sims fans for a long time... I'd say that pretty much constitutes abuse.

Will they listen?, almost certainly not... We ARE talking about the company that relabelled FIFA 2019 as 2020, stripped out a few features, added some monetizations and sold it as a new entry, don't ever make the mistake of thinking EA doesn't know exactly how nasty they are though.
    Post edited by Evil_One on
    raw
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Not so much with the Sims, but other EA games, with loot boxes (errr, surprise mechanics) can be seen as manipulative and insidious, designed to take advantage of people who are prone to addiction. Sims 4 is not the only game to be hit with the "less for more" mentality either. Their sports games apparently have become even worse when it comes to this, and they've always been bad.

Anyway, I have issues when I'm charged 2/3 the price of a full game for about 1/4 the game play, if that. I am voting with my wallet at this point.

On the upside, Sims 2, now that I've got it running on my computer, is fabulous. Hair physics! Why are there no hair physics in Sims 4? Or details like opening cupboards? Recycle the animations if you must, but oh my gosh, it's the details that make things appear polished!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse
    Felicity wrote: »
    One thing I'll say for EA -- they have not shied away from LGBTQIA+ issues at all. Not only in the Sims, you'll see this in their other franchises as well. It's one reason why I have supported them as much as I have.

However, Sims 4 has a lot of surface features, but that doesn't mean that what they have given us is deep and immersive. I've said this before, and I'll say it again -- I am a caretaker for my elderly parents. When they're doing poorly, I play Sims 4 because it doesn't really absorb me, it just entertains me. If I sit and play it normally, I'll play for an hour or so. If I boot up Sims 3, and now Sims 2, I have to set an alarm because if I don't, I will have lost an entire day or if I play after dinner, I'll be up all night. And it seems like the same amount of time has passed.

Then again, I also have to set an alarm while playing most games that I enjoy. Sims 4 is one of the few that I play like a mobile game. That's the reason I play it -- it kills a little bit of time without sucking me in.
    I actually have a couple friends who identify as non-binary and one of them is a Simmer who streams. So there is still some work even in that area to do. I know one of my friends wishes there was a non-binary option for Sims gender.

I tend to play the other Sims games a lot longer too because they do absorb me more. That does beg the question, is the Sims franchise going the more mobile route with how they are handling their DLC like mobile microtransactions? It is actually interesting to see how easily people fall into the logic of microtransactions and why they work so well. $10 is nothing, but when multiplied by 15 SPs so far the most of the packs that is easily $150 of packs that have little to no gameplay with them. So yes I can see how Simmers feel cheated on by that considering that they can get better user made packs for free. But then again the reason why there are more SPs is simply because they are easier and cheaper and faster to make than the other packs. But then again I have never been a fan of SPs since the Sims 2 days, so much so I didn't even bother with them in the Sims 3. I think they are a waste of time and Simmers tend to deliver better versions of them with their CCs and mods. GPs and EPs well are harder to make and worth it and harder for the modding community to replicate in their content. GPs come out to about $20 a pack of 8 packs which is $160. EPs come out to about $40 a pack of 7 packs which is $280, so together that is $590 in DLC alone. So why aren't other EA games being charged as much like EA Sports or Star Wars which much bigger communities than ours? All has to do with demand and that those games have competition. So prices aren't going to go down unless something like Paralives comes into the market. I think it is going to be more effect that when Paralives does go live and gets the green light that all those Simmers unhappy with the Sims 4 consider supporting the smaller developers. Only then will prices go down and quality go up. So no I don't think this movement will prove effective, but supporting competition will. I am just hesitate because of the project vie thing was a bust. Apparently this is a sci-fi life simulation game being worked on too.
    https://trinityvideogame.com/en/

Rod Humble is working on a game too at Paradox Interactive and he worked on both Sims and Second Life:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/former-sims-and-second-life-boss-is-launching-a-new-paradox-studio/

Identity is out on Early Access right now too on Steam and I've been watching that game, so there is something else Simmers can check out now:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/792990/Identity/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Rod Humble is working on a game too at Paradox Interactive and he worked on both Sims and Second Life:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/former-sims-and-second-life-boss-is-launching-a-new-paradox-studio/
    This is amazing I cant wait to see what will come of it. If they use Cities: Skylines as a world builder I'm jumping ship so fast. The SimCity-like Cities: Skylines is one of Paradox's most successful (and mainstream) games but it doesn't have a comparable Sims-style series, so pushing into that seems like a natural move.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member

Some of you voting "Unnecessary" because you equate the word "Abuse" with the word "violence" need to read a book.

Also, I'm in favor of this; don't buy and show where you stand as a consumer. If you pay for content and still cry about it because it sucks and S4 does too, thats on you!