Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag?

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    I understand but I will not take part
    to those who do not like the hashtags my advice is simple just ignore the hashtag i tend to ignore the hashtags on the gallery so to me they are not a problem
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I agree and support the idea
    Such a great attention getting hashtag if I was on Twitter I'd join along seeing as I completely agree not only was the base game obviously incomplete pack after pack are as well. People have every right to call EA out on this 3 years on toddlers still no cars cops robbers and robotic Sims with icons that say their emotions but no animations and game play to go along with it.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I think it is totally unnecessary
    Honestly? I think it's silly.

Sure, there are issues with the game, but it's not abuse. Nobody's sticking a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy anything. In addition there's more and earlier information about each pack that comes out so people can be readily informed before spending a single dollar.

People need to take ownership for their decisions. "Abuse" is definitely the wrong term.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I see hashtags on gallery thing and won't even look at the posted item period. Like the stop stealing ones - turned me right off of downloading anyones content that hashtags stop stealing or even commenting on their work no matter how good it is. Hashtags are not protests... and it's lazy way to protest period. Serves no use at all. Hashtage MOO is the only useful hashtag I have ever seen and a good warning not to download anything with Moo used.

I thought hashtags were a necessity on the gallery? Otherwise it may not bring up your lot when someone is searching for something specific. But, my hashtags are always just descriptive of the lots, like how many bedrooms or that it's from a movie. And since I learned the MOO doesn't work when placing saved lots, I haven't used it, not even for lots I'm not sharing.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Well, I think if people don't like a pack they shouldn't buy it, not start a hashtag. What's the use of starting a twitter war when you still give them your money? That's called being a hypocrite.

"Oh I don't like it and I'm not happy with it, but it's the sims so I'll buy, cause I buy everything". That makes no sense.

Back in TS3 days there were very little reviews, compared to today. Today, the devs literally show you what's in the pack before it's even released so it's on you really.

The hashtag started with an encoragement of not buying any dlc too.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited October 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I think. I am aware of issues with EA's business model certainly, but I'm not sure reading that, what they hope to accomplish.
    The person that translated it into English should have also edited it to reflect the way we actually speak. When things are translated directly without proper form for the new language, they come across as immature and stilted.
    When should they have edited it? Once a hashtag is taken over by the Twitter crowd, it’s out of your control.

It says on the tweet that someone translated the tweet into English to share it, so then. It just seems, stilted, odd. Like reading directions on things that come from China that were obviously translated poorly, that people make fun of on tv shows all the time.

Basically, I was just pointing out that I don't totally get what the tweet was even trying to say. And since I don't speak Spanish, I can't just read that one.

The article about it however, does clearly state the case at least. http://www.nerdbite.com/stopeaabuse-the-movement-calling-for-change-in-the-sims/
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Well, I think if people don't like a pack they shouldn't buy it, not start a hashtag. What's the use of starting a twitter war when you still give them your money? That's called being a hypocrite.

"Oh I don't like it and I'm not happy with it, but it's the sims so I'll buy, cause I buy everything". That makes no sense.

Back in TS3 days there were very little reviews, compared to today. Today, the devs literally show you what's in the pack before it's even released so it's on you really.

I think it more or so has to do with all of the content that EA has been releasing lately that simmers believe is half-baked. Not necessarily one pack and its something they want EA to d better with. but I get what you mean I'm a strong believer in putting your money where your mouth is, but I'm not sure thats enough at this point.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    I think it will not change anything at all
    The only times when EA "listens" is when they start losing tons of money, and I don't think this Twitter hashtag thing is gonna do that.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse
    The article about it however, does clearly state the case at least. http://www.nerdbite.com/stopeaabuse-the-movement-calling-for-change-in-the-sims/
    Interesting article and read. Makes me glad I'm not on Twitter. I have a feeling by the time the Sims 4 is done, it will be at least $900 in total from beginning to end. Still won't be as expensive as the Sims 3 store, but way higher than the bulk of games of Origin, Steam, and Epic Games.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm not sure what I think. I am aware of issues with EA's business model certainly, but I'm not sure reading that, what they hope to accomplish.
    The person that translated it into English should have also edited it to reflect the way we actually speak. When things are translated directly without proper form for the new language, they come across as immature and stilted.
    When should they have edited it? Once a hashtag is taken over by the Twitter crowd, it’s out of your control.

It says on the tweet that someone translated the tweet into English to share it, so then. It just seems, stilted, odd. Like reading directions on things that come from China that were obviously translated poorly, that people make fun of on tv shows all the time.

Basically, I was just pointing out that I don't totally get what the tweet was even trying to say. And since I don't speak Spanish, I can't just read that one.

Is the original tweet somewhere? Curious how it was phrased. The use of the word abuse is an unfortunate one imo, but not because I jump on the ‘Do you even know what the word "abuse" means’ bandwagon. Because I wonder if they know what it means themselves. Even if the word is used in a certain context so often that it got kind of polluted. You can’t hijack a word and pin it down to one meaning only, just because you happen to feel strong about that one meaning. Forbidding others to ever use it in a different context ever again. There is something to be said for the fact EA is clearly abusing their monopoly position with this franchise by the way. That’s just fact (and a fact much older than Sims 4).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Honestly they lost me at 'abuse' - though from what others have said, it's a translation from another users Tweet? Either way, the wording is poor.

I know that we all have our complaints when it comes to the Sims 4, but I don't think a hashtag like this is going to be effective. I don't see how putting this hashtag at the end of a Tweet would have any different outcome compared to just discussing it here on the forums.

#EAListen is a more appropriate hashtag and it fits in much better with the thoughts and feedback being shared.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yeah... Twitter is a mess. You have dumb people telling us we are not forced to buy the game. True. But I LIKE the game. I want to buy it. I want to play it. EA are supposed to make the game catered to US, the paying customer that they’re making the game for in the first place.

What kind of logic do these people have? Do they think I like being upset and angry at this franchise for *fun*? I want it to be better. I want it to be able to do everything we all want it to do and more. I want quality content, staff that give a plum about the content they are making, and the people buying said content. Where are the gurus? I have not seen a guru on here for months. That’s is BAD service. I’m sorry, but I pay for this game (yes by choice) because I appreciate the effort and dedication the people making it put into it. Where has that gone? If I go into a shop I expect to see somebody there to speak to, answer my questions, Engadget with me like a plumbing human being and not just some digit on a sale sheet.

The gurus don’t care, they don’t even answer our questions. They pick and choose what they reply to, it’s obvious. If you’re not some plum kissing youtuber or tweeter, you don’t matter. We have new moderators that shut down any thread that dares to even think differently than a happy happy, LSD sim from the game.

It really is a big joke. Whether you like this game or not, happy with content or not, that is *no way* to treat your customers, because that’s what we are. We are PAYING customers. They rely on US to even sell this game. If they’re just going to half bake it, why even bother? They say they listen; listen to what? Look at this place. We’re still here 6 years later saying the same rubbish. What does that tell you? Are people really this naive to what is going on?

Anyone can be happy with the game, I don’t even care about that, I just wish you’d pull the wool back from your eyes and see that the game you think is awesome already could be even better if you’d just listen to us, the players, that play this game 100% by free choice because it is a great game. At least it used to be. The second I’m being forced to play is the second I’ll be gone. If you’re being *forced* to do something there is a big, big problem. I’m glad I’m not being force to play The Sims and do it 100% by free choice.

Soon, EA will be forcing people to play it because the series will be dead. Mark my words.

—T
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Such a great attention getting hashtag if I was on Twitter I'd join along seeing as I completely agree not only was the base game obviously incomplete pack after pack are as well. People have every right to call EA out on this 3 years on toddlers still no cars cops robbers and robotic Sims with icons that say their emotions but no animations and game play to go along with it.

Yes, but abuse? Do you honestly think that is abuse? As somebody that has been abused (and doesn’t take offence to every little thing because you know, I have a brain) I actually find this slightly offensive lol.

Y’all just best hope you never know the meaning of real abuse. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

—T
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    To7m wrote: »

Anyone can be happy with the game, I don’t even care about that, I just wish you’d pull the wool back from your eyes and see that the game you think is awesome already could be even better if you’d just listen to us, the players, that play this game 100% by free choice because it is a great game. At least it used to be. The second I’m being forced to play is the second I’ll be gone. If you’re being *forced* to do something there is a big, big problem. I’m glad I’m not being force to play The Sims and do it 100% by free choice.

—T

You know, this kind of attitude bugs me. You're saying "you can be happy with the game but you're wrong and blind", which to me means that you might say you don't care but think very little of people who disagree with you.

I like the game and I enjoy playing it. I don't think it's dead, I don't think it's unplayable, I don't think it's beyond saving or repair, I don't think the core of it is utter trash. At the same time, I think there are things that can be done better. It is absolutely possible to like something and see that it can be improved. There are very few people on these forums who are 100% uncritical of TS4. I see way more people (not mentioning anyone specific because I honestly don't remember) dismissing those who do enjoy playing TS4 and like some packs as stupid, brainwashed, manipulated, and a slew of other similarly insulting things.

There's a lot of space between the extremes and I'm really tired of seeing the insults at fellow players. There's nothing helpful or constructive about that and the campaign hashtag is a perfect example of the polarizing (or at least as it comes across. I understand that the intention was not quite as extreme, but roads to hell paved with good intentions and all that).

edited October 2019

—T

You know, this kind of attitude bugs me. You're saying "you can be happy with the game but you're wrong and blind", which to me means that you might say you don't care but think very little of people who disagree with you.

I like the game and I enjoy playing it. I don't think it's dead, I don't think it's unplayable, I don't think it's beyond saving or repair, I don't think the core of it is utter trash. At the same time, I think there are things that can be done better. It is absolutely possible to like something and see that it can be improved. There are very few people on these forums who are 100% uncritical of TS4. I see way more people (not mentioning anyone specific because I honestly don't remember) dismissing those who do enjoy playing TS4 and like some packs as stupid, brainwashed, manipulated, and a slew of other similarly insulting things.

There's a lot of space between the extremes and I'm really tired of seeing the insults at fellow players. There's nothing helpful or constructive about that and the campaign hashtag is a perfect example of the polarizing (or at least as it comes across. I understand that the intention was not quite as extreme, but roads to hell paved with good intentions and all that).

Yes. Blind to the way EA treats it’s customers. Many of the fan base just seem willing to purchase whatever they throw at us without second thought. I think EA rip us off, and I think people are blind to it.

I’m allowed to make observations. That doesn’t stop you from being happy with the game. I don’t have to agree with *why* you are happy with it, though. TS2 is better. TS1 is even better. You can feel the passion and effort put into those games. TS4 just feels churned out. I want a better experience, one which I’ve had before with this game otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

So yes, you are more than welcome to like the game NOBODY is stopping you, but I do think it can be better because it has been better. Quality wise, content wise and just better effort in general put into it. That’s not your fault it’s EA’s. I don’t blame you for liking the game, I don’t care that you like it. I expect EA to be better and delivery better. You don’t have to consider it better but compared to what they’ve done before they can most certainly do a better job than this. The games speak for themselves, it doesn’t matter what we personally like or dislike. People dislike the new Spider Man game but it doesn’t deny that the game itself is quality all round. It’s just a fact. It will always be a well made game regardless of if one likes spider man or not.

—T

—T

Yes. Blind to the way EA treats it’s customers. Many of the fan base just seem willing to purchase whatever they throw at us without second thought. I think EA rip us off, and I think people are blind to it.

I’m allowed to make observations. That doesn’t stop you from being happy with the game. I don’t have to agree with *why* you are happy with it, though.

—T

You're assuming a lot and conflating two things that are not inevitably connected. There's zero connection between the opinion about a game and opinion about its owner. It goes both ways: I can be a fan of a developer or owner of a game and find the game itself unenjoyable.
    I am not a fan of EA for a variety of reasons. I do agree that their business model is working for no one else but them and their own incomes. Being aware of this has nothing to do with what kind of fun a particular game under their label brings me.

You can disagree with reasons for why people like something and you also *can* not be insulting those people by calling them blind. No, your opinion doesn't stop me from having fun with TS4 but I have every right to speak up against uncalled for comments like the ones I mentioned, the one about being blind to EA's faults included.

All I'm saying here is that there's a way to be critical of EA without attacking other players.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Voltron wrote: »
    I must say, the article was spot-on!

"A recurring issue with The Sims is that usually, when a sequel is developed and released, it builds upon its predecessor and moves forward in terms of quality and value. Unfortunately, in this franchise, it’s backward; subsequent iterations of the game would end up launching a bare-bones base game and reuse expansion packs from the previous generations, instead of including that content at launch and adding different material, content, and themes."

"It was also plagued with bugs and some issues both game-breaking and not, most of which still have not been fixed or addressed five years later."

I agree with the movement but I think #EAListen sounds much better - it isn't hostile towards EA. Also, it's not offensive to anyone in any language.

Thanks for posting what they are protesting. When I first read this thread there was no information about what they don't like. I would vote for something like StopExploitingConsumers
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited October 2019

—T

I’m allowed to make observations. That doesn’t stop you from being happy with the game. I don’t have to agree with *why* you are happy with it, though.

—T

You're assuming a lot and conflating two things that are not inevitably connected. There's zero connection between the opinion about a game and opinion about its owner. It goes both ways: I can be a fan of a developer or owner of a game and find the game itself unenjoyable.
    I am not a fan of EA for a variety of reasons. I do agree that their business model is working for no one else but them and their own incomes. Being aware of this has nothing to do with what kind of fun a particular game under their label brings me.

You can disagree with reasons for why people like something and you also *can* not be insulting those people by calling them blind. No, your opinion doesn't stop me from having fun with TS4 but I have every right to speak up against uncalled for comments like the ones I mentioned, the one about being blind to EA's faults included.

All I'm saying here is that there's a way to be critical of EA without attacking other players.

Who is talking about opinion? The games speak for themselves, TS1,2 and 3 are just better. Give them to somebody who’s never played the sims (I’ve done this) and see what they say. TS4 doesn’t get a mention, the first three games though... boy.

Quality is quality, TS4 lacks it. That’s not an opinion.

Calling somebody blind isn’t an insult, it’s what I think. You would have to be blind to be supporting EA, continuously by buying everything they pump out. Nobody is that naive. People can like the game, I like it to an extant otherwise I wouldn’t be here, but there are BETTER sims games, compared to TS4 and while they exist, I’ll always compare them because I know how much better they are and I want them to continue to hold that standard of quality which they are not doing, another fact. You only have to compare TS4 to every other version to see it. There are things TS4 does slightly improved, but it’s not better. It doesn’t expand on anything. If you joined the series with TS4, then I guess I could see one liking it as they know no different, but when you’ve played from TS1, one really should expect better. I do, and I’m not afraid to say it.

If you think by me calling people blind is an insult, that’s your assumption. I generally think people really must be blind, or just completely oblivious, to what is happening. If you thinks not the case, cool, but it think differently to you. I don’t think less of them for it, if anything, I don’t think much about it at all anymore, only when I visit here, and even then, my interest in TS franchise in general is fading fast. If this is what it involves, they can stop at TS4 I really don’t care.

Also, stop telling me what I can and cannot do. Thanks!

—T
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019

Yes, but abuse? Do you honestly think that is abuse? As somebody that has been abused (and doesn’t take offence to every little thing because you know, I have a brain) I actually find this slightly offensive lol.

Y’all just best hope you never know the meaning of real abuse. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

—T
    Again, you are talking about one specific meaning of the word abuse. One can say EA abuses their monopoly position for this franchise can't you? Because that they most definitely do and they've been doing it for years. This has nothing to do with the question whether you like the game or not. I love Sims 3 but also that game suffered from it (in price and in rushing things). "They'll buy anyway". With that attitude they are abusing their dominant market position.

I agree that for a hashtag it's not a suitable word because it clearly raises confusion, but you cannot lump together two different meanings of one word and feel offended. Both meanings are real, just different.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited October 2019

—T
    Again, you are talking about one specific meaning of the word abuse. One can say EA abuses their monopoly position for this franchise can't you? Because that they most definitely do and they've been doing it for years. This has nothing to do with the question whether you like the game or not. I love Sims 3 but also that game suffered from it (in price and in rushing things). "They'll buy anyway".

I know I agree with you. There are many meanings, yada, yada. But really, in the general population when one hears abuse, you don’t think of dodgy game companies. I think, just in this sense, abuse is not the word.

Maybe it is because I’ve been abused. But when I hear abuse, I think of violence, not EA 🤷🏼‍♂️

—T
    edited October 2019
    I was offended when the CM said we would buy anyway. That isn't abuse it was the truth. It went into my head and hasn't come out, still yet. I thought about it for a very long time. Was I a consumer who would buy anyway, whether I liked a pack, or whether it had too many bugs I already knew about before buying it, or no matter the gameplay or quality I would just go ahead and buy it anyway once it was on sale?

No, I was not that type of consumer. But I might be a rare breed. Because TS4 has made a billion on that very business model and I stopped buying three years ago. When she said it, I had already stopped buying but that statement really sunk into my head, and I set out to prove, no, I won't buy subpar games, buggy games, (I already know about), nor be hooked with a cheap sale. I want to thank her for saying it. It was the truth, they know it, the fanbase knows it in their hearts, but I have never just bought 'anyway'. I didn't for any of them, if it was buggy and subpar gameplay or just a money grab, fluff pack I by passed them.

I can't say I have seen many practice that sort of restraint when it comes to TS4, just the opposite the more they have fussed about a pack (MyPetStuff) the more they bought. Because you know, devs were their friends on twitter and they didn't want to be mean to devs.

That is one of the best ideas EA has ever come up with, making consumers feel sorry for them so they will not criticise their work nor the product. It's brilliant.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    @To7m i would appreciate if you stopped putting words into my posts that I never wrote. I said exactly nothing about quality, I talked about enjoyment of a game. The two things don’t necessarily correlate for me (And a lot of others). I’m not going to discuss what quality means because there are many aspects that can’t be determined easily. It’s also irrelevant to the topic of this thread.
    Your statement about people universally enjoying the previous games more is also not true. It depends on who you listen to.

I stand by what I said: calling people blind and naive for enjoying TS4 while assuming they aren’t critical of it and of EA at all is insulting.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    ::Rolls eyes at the entitlement:: Things like prescription drugs, clean water, safe housing, yes. Video games, no. If the game isn't fun anymore, find another hobby. (I did, when the game came out without my toddlers.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
    edited October 2019
    @To7m i would appreciate if you stopped putting words into my posts that I never wrote. I said exactly nothing about quality, I talked about enjoyment of a game. The two things don’t necessarily correlate for me (And a lot of others). I’m not going to discuss what quality means because there are many aspects that can’t be determined easily. It’s also irrelevant to the topic of this thread.
    Your statement about people universally enjoying the previous games more is also not true. It depends on who you listen to.

I stand by what I said: calling people blind and naive for enjoying TS4 while assuming they aren’t critical of it and of EA at all is insulting.

*I’m* talking about quality. You went off about opinions when really, I don’t care about anyone’s opinion, even my own. Like I said; quality speaks for itself. Good quality = more enjoyment. It’s not rocket science. TS4 lacks quality, that’s the reason it is so bad. Yes it’s bad. It’s a bad game, compared to its older versions of THE SAME GAME. I enjoy it, sometimes, but it’s still a bad game and I want it to get better. Not worse, like it is doing. Because it is. Regardless of if 10 people like it or 1000. The quality has declined, that’s not matter of opinion, that’s a fact.

And if you’re critical of TS4 then clearly, you’re not blind to what’s going on and my statement isn’t meant for you. I’m talking about the people that blindly just buy everything and say they’re happy with it.

You need to reread my posts mate.

—T
    edited October 2019
    ::Rolls eyes at the entitlement:: Things like prescription drugs, clean water, safe housing, yes. Video games, no. If the game isn't fun anymore, find another hobby. (I did, when the game came out without my toddlers.)

In one way I can also vote for stopthesabuse since EA employees and others representing EA have made comments I felt were verbably abusive to the core fanbase who helped put this series on the map for them. I have known some to call individuals names, or label them with names which isn't the job of an EA employee but an opinion and their opinions of a consumer should not be a reason to insult one. EA employees, no matter who it is, should keep their mouths shut and not rule or decide things on a personal opinion of someone's motivation and not say to consumers what opinion they have of them. Whether that's on Reddit or Twitter, in an email or here.