Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Organizing your CC

2...Next

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Gah...

Here I have had MCCC in a folder all this time and now I realize that I can place the CC in folders as well. Since I have 7 items of CC so far it isn't that difficult but that could change.

Don't feel bad. I've been unpacking Road to Fame in its entirety. It's supposed to stay together in its own sub-folder. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited May 2019
    sorry it was already answered
  • vanillatrezvanillatrez Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi all, quick question on moving CC into folders. If my Sim is already wearing a CC item and I move it into a folder, will I have to edit the Sim again to add the item back? I have tons of CC I'd like to move into folders but I'm not sure if I want to do it all now if it will disappear from my Sims in the process.
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    Hi all, quick question on moving CC into folders. If my Sim is already wearing a CC item and I move it into a folder, will I have to edit the Sim again to add the item back? I have tons of CC I'd like to move into folders but I'm not sure if I want to do it all now if it will disappear from my Sims in the process.

@vanillatrez You won't need to edit your sims if you move your CC into folders. As long as you leave the CC and the new folders you create within the mod folder, everything will still work as before.
  • vanillatrezvanillatrez Posts: 2 New Member
    Great thank you ClassicalSim!
  • WombleWomble Posts: 62 Member
    i organized CCs with folder(CAS,build etc), subfolders(Type, creators, etc) but i have this as a backup(outside EA folder) because i have more than 30GB CCs, i throw all used CC in default mods folder, and find them with S4TI to find broken or unused CCs
  • toxikittentoxikitten Posts: 26 New Member
    I seperate mine into broad sub-folders like build/buy, cas, etc then organize them into smaller sub-folders
  • SummerspritSummersprit Posts: 3 New Member
    Basically my mods folder is organized like this:

Female
    > Female_Hair
    > Female_Tops
    > Female_Bottoms
    > Female_Shoes
    > Female_Dress/Fullbody

Male
    > Male_Hair
    > Male_Tops
    > Male_Bottoms
    > Male_Shoes
    > Male_Dress/Fullbody

Child
    > Child_Hair
    > Child_Tops
    > Child_Bottoms
    > Child_Shoes
    > Child_Dress/Fullbody

Toddler
    > Toddler_Hair
    > Toddler_Tops
    > Toddler_Bottoms
    > Toddler_Shoes
    > Toddler_Dress/Fullbody

_Hairlines

_Accessories
    > Earrings
    > Necklace
    > Hats
    > Rings
    > Extra

_Eyes

_Skin Details
    > Skin-Tones
    > Skin-Overlays
    > Freckles
    > Moles
    > Birthmarks
    > Tattoos
    > Extra

__(Mod Name, Last Update) [I don’t have any more sub folders than the ones they come in, when unzipped.]

___New CC
  • Sh0wtig3rSh0wtig3r Posts: 78 Member
    I havent found the best way to organize my mods yet! i come up with something, like it for a while then start hating it again!
  • VieraRedMageVieraRedMage Posts: 42 Member
    Oh man. I've learned from my TS2 days of just dumping everything into one folder and hoping for the best (or worse, downloading from the official TS2 Exchange! The TS2 equivalent to the Gallery automatically included CC in downloads but didn't list or name anything.. it was like a roulette wheel of cc duplication & brokeness lol). Nowadays I micromanage my downloaded mods into a "TS4 Downloads" folder in My Documents, so it's always easy to find something and keep it up to date. I make sure this main folder (where the downloaded files are saved) matches the layout of the game's Mods folder (the "Electronic Arts > The Sims 4> Mods" folder where extracted cc files are installed to use).

To make sure I always can find a specific file in my in-game mods folder, I micromanage a series of main folders specific to the kind of thing I may be looking for such as Lights or Glasses, and I make sure to separate things enough to make sure I don't confuse similar but different function things (such as separate folders each for decorative houseplants, for outside plants, and for custom harvestables). Here's a screenshot of my organizational structure:
    xcWnAl6.png

As you an see in the picture above, I also have a specific folder I've cleverly named "zz_test" (named that ways so it loads absolutely last & I can find it at a glance), which contains all new downloads since my last play session (apart from Scriptmods which can't go into subfolders) and any cc I might still be testing. Once it's been thoroughly tested (usually that's at least a week of regular play), I'll then move the subfolders into the most appropriate main folder location (such as hairs into the Hair folder, dog toys into the Pet Stuff folder, etc). Here's a screenshot to clarify:
    vxHjDR0.png

All newly-downloaded cc goes in this testing folder, and each individual download gets put into a subfolder labeled with the CC title and creator's name (with a very short description if necessary). This way, if my game suddenly starts having issues after installing new cc, I know exactly where to find the culprits and can narrow down what's messing things up faster than having to do a full run of the 50-50 method on my 20GB of cc.

....I'm sure it sounds like a lot to handle, but it's actually very easy to maintain and makes updating a breeze since it's so organized.

It's like 4am so i hope i explained this well enough to make sense... :/
  • Samantunia12101988Samantunia12101988 Posts: 5 New Member
    > @megiare said:
    > I just started downloading CC the other weekend and have officially caught the bug. I'm just now realizing I didn't keep track of what is what, so if I want to take something out, whether it's broken or not, I imagine it'll be a little hunt to figure out what is what from my mod folder to what I'm seeing in CAS.
    >
    > I'm curious, how does everyone here organize their CAS CC? Do you keep a log of what's what? Copies of everything you download with notes or pictures?

I don't know if this can help, but I will tell my method as well. LOL :smiley:
    As I started to realize I couldn't make it through AAAAALL the stuff I continuously am downloading, I divided:

MODS > CC > Folders by Creator (Praline,Lealillith etc.)
    1Folder for Historical CCs (Subfolders for creators)
    CHECK FOR UPDATES (Mods)
    OBJECTS
    *Pufferhead Pack
    *ATICAS Traits Mod

All my MODS are in the actual MODS folder (.package + .ts4script) as well as presets for bodies and genetics. Other that these I prefer to leave all the other cc in the first CC subfolder in order to let the game load a little faster.

I don't know if somebody can relate but I am speaking for my 42GB (which I downsized in half recently) x°°D

RAISE YOUR HAND COMPULSIVE SHOPPERS!!! lol
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    edited January 2020
    I separate mine into different folders:
    Mods
    Hair
    Eyes/skin
    Build mode
    Objects
    Clothes
    Poses
    Accessories
    Make-up/other

I don't download a lot of CC so this works best for me. The folders that seem to have the most are Hair, objects, clothes, and poses while the rest are either empty or only have a few things in them.

That's basically how I do mine. For some mod authors like LittleMsSam, I gave her her own folder since I have a lot of her mods. The big mods like MCCC, WW, and such have their own folders.

Actual gameplay "Mods", I keep them separate. Since every patch is likely to break a lot of them. Helps updating them to have them all in one place.

For CC, I usually merge them together since they rarely change or are effected by patches. That's AFTER I clean them up though. It's EXTREMELY rare for a CC to be configured properly. I have a folder called "Pending" I place new CC until I can clean them up. After I do, I merge them into my main CC packages. Clothing1.package, Hair1.package, Furniture1.package... etc.

I have about 3.5 gigs in ~1500 (unmerged) packages. About 1000 of them are merged into 5 packages. This makes up about 500 files in 30 folders in my Mods directory and no subfolders under those. Sub-subfolders isn't necessary and overly complicates things.