Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I Think Pre-Teens Wouldn't be Fun

1101112131416...Next

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

If the animation-budget that currently is spent on sims who are not of YA-height would be divided between three heights, toddlers and children and hypothetical preteens, it feels like each stage would get very little to do. Children are already excluded from so much simply because it costs too much to make animations for them.

I would rather see that children and teens were given more attention.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    REALISTIC AGING is not for "entertainment" but for realism in the gameplay. So our sims dont seem like fake little virtual characters. I want to see ralistic aging not huge leaps from one age to another. But they should add that to SIMS 5.

Games are supposed to be a form of escapism, if you want to experience real-life, go outside. Go for a walk, interact with real people. Don't waste your life sitting in front of a computer screen watching lines of code having a life, while you could be living yours.

Realistic ageing would just slow down the pace of the game. Many people, myself included, play legacies, and those can take a very long time (I've been playing mine since 2014) and I personally think that realistic ageing would just slow the process. Especially since you can kind of create "realistic" ageing by giving sims the Long Lifespan, and in all honestly the long lifespan option is too long.

Not to mention from a game development standpoint, gradual ageing could be more expensive/difficult to code and animate, as it means you'd need to have twice as many models/rig in the game, and those model/rig would need to grow along with the genetics of the sim in question. It'd be more than stretching out the model/rig as it grew, which could come with a whole host of issues all on its own such as breaking and bugs/glitches.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    DeleteDelete Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2019
    "halloweenchild;c-17267351"
    Games are supposed to be a form of escapism, if you want to experience real-life, go outside. Go for a walk, interact with real people. Don't waste your life sitting in front of a computer screen watching lines of code having a life, while you could be living yours.

Ouch talk about harsh lol. Im pretty sure TS4 is a life simulation game and ... yeah it simulates life. SOme people like it realistic, some don't. And what does this have to do with adding tween life stages in a game? I mean are people supposed to go out and hang around pre teens or something?

Anyways.

It'd be cool to have a feature like this in TS5 since I like the idea of having an extended childhood to pack more stuff into the whole kids experience. I have my life span set to long and still feel the kids age too fast and the jump is really extreme. Maybe if the teens looked more like teens and changed to a more mature appearance right before they hit adulthood that could be nice... but thats kind of just the same as adding tweens. I dont expect anything for ts4 though. It kind of feels like it's coming to a close, especially with the new next gen consoles coming out (Ps5 and not sure what xbox is doing)
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Delete wrote: »
    "halloweenchild;c-17267351"

Ouch talk about harsh lol. Im pretty sure TS4 is a life simulation game and ... yeah it simulates life. SOme people like it realistic, some don't. And what does this have to do with adding tween life stages in a game? I mean are people supposed to go out and hang around pre teens or something?

Anyways.

It'd be cool to have a feature like this in TS5 since I like the idea of having an extended childhood to pack more stuff into the whole kids experience. I have my life span set to long and still feel the kids age too fast and the jump is really extreme. Maybe if the teens looked more like teens and changed to a more mature appearance right before they hit adulthood that could be nice... but thats kind of just the same as adding tweens. I dont expect anything for ts4 though. It kind of feels like it's coming to a close, especially with the new next gen consoles coming out (Ps5 and not sure what xbox is doing)

Yeah, I admit I was probably a little but harsh there (bad day's are fun lol). Whether or not the sims overall is a life simulation game or not is up for debate, personally I think it treads a fine line between real-life and fantasy-life and I prefer it that way. Before Vampires was released the real-life side of the game became so boring, kind of like real life, eat, sleep, repeat. So when Vampires was introduced for me it was a breath of fresh air or stale air if you prefer. My point is, it shook up the hum-drum of the boring "real-life" gameplay.
    I just feel that adding preteens as a life stage would be pointless, in the overall scheme of the game flow it'd be like the infancy stage, only a few days long and then boom, toddler. If it's purely just a height issue between child and teen sims, then that means something needs to be done about teens, as really they're on the earlier state of the YA age range (16-18), its one thing I miss about TS3 is that teen sims felt like actual teens, they were shorter than the YA's and had their own mostly unique clothing range.

I really wish people would stop harping on about a potential sims 5, the sims 4 team announced at the end of last year (IIRC) that they still had over three years of planned content for TS4, so I wish people would focus on the now rather than always looking ahead. But that's just me, *shakes fist at the sky and yells at the clouds*.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    It shouldn't be "pre-teens". There should still be teens, but younger than the ones we already have. 13-15 years. The current ones look 16-18. It's still looks weird to me how my little sim daughter grew up into a young lady that is about to graduate. We absolutely need something else to be in between these two stages.

I would also like to see that new category less independent from their families, because an average TS4 teen doesn't even need an adult person to live with. And the younger teens, even if they have already hit puberty, still need their mom and dad.

And you're not right about acne. We only have it as a skin feature, but it doesn't appear on its own. It's not realistic. I suppose they were afraid to upset people who deal with chronical acne, but still I doubt it's good the way it is now.

• Options
    EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    I never understood why people need middle school. Most countries don’t have it?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    The height scale should be introduced in CAS for all ages, as well as smiling lines.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    The best way hoe to fix this all is gradual aging and for The sims 4: divide lifestages into phases. We see it with elders so why not with most lifestages. Its kind of a gradual aging within each lifestage.
    Preteens will still be teens, but will be at level 1 of being a teen.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Echova wrote: »

That may be true, but most simmers are from countries that do have it and want their own experience in game.

Myself I dont' care about middle school itself, but I really want preteens. (and preschoolers) Since school is a rabbit hole I don't care which one they attend. Although I really wish homeschooling was a thing in the game
  • Options
    EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    Echova wrote: »

That may be true, but most simmers are from countries that do have it and want their own experience in game.

Myself I dont' care about middle school itself, but I really want preteens. (and preschoolers) Since school is a rabbit hole I don't care which one they attend. Although I really wish homeschooling was a thing in the game

Then just pretend they are. From what I can remember, the experience and education covered in middle school is already incorporated in primary and secondary schooling. It would be more jarring to add middle school than it would be to leave it out as middle school is redundant in practice. Hence why a lot of countries just opt out of using that system.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    they just need to add more for teens and fix their height, that's all. no need for a pre-teen phase
  • Options
    MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    never understood why people need middle school. Most countries don’t have it?
    Why do you think so? We have it in Russia. But the high school isn't necessary.

And it's needed because the difference between the two life stages looks too huge. A yesterday's child who played with dolls is a full grown lady today.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited October 2019
    Actually, I've had cousins hit puberty as young as 8 and as old as 13- never older or younger. This includes me as well.
    Edit: I just looked this up, and the average age for an American child to hit puberty is 11 for girls and 12 for boys, but also decreasing. I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying, but I get seriously bugged when things are inaccurate.

As for height, they'd only have to make it for girls since girls get their growth spurts younger than boys. And middle school lasts three years in the USA- 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. And the crushes, well, I feel that most people would get their first serious crush in middle school. I know I did. As for the money, I'm okay with them spending it as long as they do it right. And with after school activities, I think it should be mostly school sports teams (which start in Middle school in the US, where the Sims is based). Ballet should be added for all lifestages, even toddlers. Taking yet another example from real life, I did ballet before I started Kindergarden. Children should also get sports, but less and they should be less time-consuming with less consequence for missing practice/games. And I also think that preteens should have the option to ask for an allowance. This is typically the age where parents start handing more responsibility to kids, and allowance is a good way to do it.

But this is only if preteens are added. I really don't care if they aren't, but if they are I want them done correctly and accurately.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Actually, I've had cousins hit puberty as young as 8 and as old as 13- never older or younger. This includes me as well.
    Edit: I just looked this up, and the average age for an American child to hit puberty is 11 for girls and 12 for boys, but also decreasing. I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying, but I get seriously bugged when things are inaccurate.

As for height, they'd only have to make it for girls since girls get their growth spurts younger than boys. And middle school lasts three years in the USA- 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. And the crushes, well, I feel that most people would get their first serious crush in middle school. I know I did. As for the money, I'm okay with them spending it as long as they do it right. And with after school activities, I think it should be mostly school sports teams (which start in Middle school in the US, where the Sims is based). Ballet should be added for all lifestages, even toddlers. Taking yet another example from real life, I did ballet before I started Kindergarden. Children should also get sports, but less and they should be less time-consuming with less consequence for missing practice/games. And I also think that preteens should have the option to ask for an allowance. This is typically the age where parents start handing more responsibility to kids, and allowance is a good way to do it.

But this is only if preteens are added. I really don't care if they aren't, but if they are I want them done correctly and accurately.

Nope. I had four years of that h-e-double hockey sticks and I don't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm glad my sims are able to skip it and go straight to their teen years.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

Nope. I had four years of that h-e-double hockey sticks and I don't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm glad my sims are able to skip it and go straight to their teen years.

Agreed, it was miserable. But some people say that "realism is what the sims is all about" and stuff like that so I'm giving it to them. Which reminds me, let's make bullies a thing. The Sims 4 needs to darken that color a tad. Seriously, now that I think about it, all take preteens JUST for the bullies I hope they add with them. They're a real problem.
    funny-gifs20.gif