Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag?

Comments

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Can't vote on this poll since I have no idea what people are protesting. What abuse? And or what do they want EA to listen about? I may not agree with them on either hashtag. Therefore, I can't vote for what to call the hashtag.

Basically? One tweeter was talking about how not being able to make a non binary sim (which I’m sure we can) is abuse. I lost interest right there and then.

I think people need to grow the heck up and feel lucky they don’t know what real abuse is.

—T

Say WHAT??? Here I was thinking this was about how they were abusing us by robbing us of our money. LOL

This is crazy. The one thing I can say about EA is that they have been pretty inclusive when it comes to this. I am with you @To7m I think they need to understand what real abuse is.
    Ok so it seems to be about the money. I agree then. These last packs have been highway robbery and my wallet has been abused LOL.

The wording is hilarious EAAbuse. Maybe they should have done #holdyourwallet. #downwithEA #boycottEA. #EAhighwayrobbery. #EAdobetter #fixtheSims. Oh oh one more #EAabusedmywallet

LOL
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    I saw this the other day and I actually thought it was a hashtag that started to stop people from ‘abusing’ EA “stop telling EA they make crap pack” so I got that totally wrong :blush::smiley: - poor choice of phrasing indeed
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think there are better solutions (tell in comments)
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I do support the fact people aren't just blindly buying packs anymore and expecting better quality from EA.
    How I do wish it was more widespread and actually who do claim it speak the truth and stick to the promise. You stop believing anybody once you heard too many times somebody gave in and bought it, whilst knowing they'll regret the decision.

Can't help but wonder: are people just oblivious how much power they have by 'voting over wallet', lack self-restrain or bout. If people who loathe the direction the franchise is heading (includes TS4 production), why continue purchasing stuff? By boycotting, maxis would have no choice but to stop looking input from Yibs as go-to, and actually bring changes of what we want. As a company, they're depended on us consumers. Imagine how all or half of the problems (realistic babies, burglars, possibly off the grid) would be solved If we chose for once shut our wallets and spend on less packs. That, or it can be the end of TS4 - and if worried about that while being naive TS5 is gonna be any better, no it won't. If we continue giving the message to Eaxis "I'll give you money, though I trust you won't screw it", than I can assure they'll make TS5 won't be any better (or end up being worst) of TS4 we have, which will the last attempt a remaining day before total franchise's demise.

So therefor, I really advocate people that the time to stop supplying is NOW. Those who invest in the game, while being displeased with it, over FOMO (fear of missing out) isn't an excuse to contribute to the studio that created it is putting to an end by slowly killing the franchise undeserly. And for those misinterpet, I'm not guilt tripping anyone: I'm referring to people who feel the same thing about the game's state, and I'm sure will understand what I'm about. And that the "franchise is dying (by maxis/ea's made decision" is my personal opinion, backed up with a formed argument based on my outlook. You can agree or disagree over this.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    As a not originally English speaking person I’m beginning to get confused now. This is what the dictionary says:
    1. use wrongly
    2. treat cruelly
    3. speak rudely

I can’t imagine the hashtag is referring to the second meaning of the word. I understand and appreciate the word has a certain connotation for people who have English as their first language, meaning you’d better avoid to use the term too loosely (as I understand it the hashtag was introduced by a Spanish person and perhaps this doesn’t apply to the Spanish word ‘abuso’), but maintaining that they actually do mean the second option doesn’t seem very logical to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think there are better solutions (tell in comments)
    Anglophones I think are taking it a bit of proportion. They're like the linguistic teacher ('english teacher', if I described them with wrong noun to encompass many) who lectures for making a single mistake. Except, we're not in this class, we're on tweeter. I seen people over internet too many times using the word "abuse" for meanings other than 'mistreating of a being'. I has that bad connotation, but I personally don't think it should undermine for being used as I means for context suitable in its other definitions. I mean really, they take it as if the big R word use to substitute 'harassment' in the hashtag. It's corporation we're talking about, not a person. Abuse can be in a form of abusive power. Though I still stand that a better hashtag could been used, with better worded but remaining short.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think it is totally unnecessary
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Ok so it seems to be about the money. I agree then. These last packs have been highway robbery and my wallet has been abused LOL.

The wording is hilarious EAAbuse. Maybe they should have done #holdyourwallet. #downwithEA #boycottEA. #EAhighwayrobbery. #EAdobetter #fixtheSims. Oh oh one more #EAabusedmywallet

LOL

Actually we can not boycott - it is a bannable offense to encourage it on the Tos now. You can simply not buy but you cannot any longer organize a boycott - read the TOS.That was updated some time ago - so don't go suggesting that route. But Hashtags to stop anything is beyond silly. I see hashtags on gallery thing and won't even look at the posted item period. Like the stop stealing ones - turned me right off of downloading anyones content that hashtags stop stealing or even commenting on their work no matter how good it is. Hashtags are not protests... and it's lazy way to protest period. Serves no use at all. Hashtage MOO is the only useful hashtag I have ever seen and a good warning not to download anything with Moo used.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

LOL

Actually we can not boycott - it is a bannable offense to encourage it on the Tos now. You can simply not buy but you cannot any longer organize a boycott - read the TOS.That was updated some time ago - so don't go suggesting that route. But Hashtags to stop anything is beyond silly. I see hashtags on gallery thing and won't even look at the posted item period. Like the stop stealing ones - turned me right off of downloading anyones content that hashtags stop stealing or even commenting on their work no matter how good it is. Hashtags are not protests... and it's lazy way to protest period. Serves no use at all. Hashtage MOO is the only useful hashtag I have ever seen and a good warning not to download anything with Moo used.

Wait, what? I assume you mean on their forums. Saying people cannot go onto, say, Reddit to organize a boycott or else lose access to their games cannot be what you mean. But also, mentioning a boycott is not the same as organizing one.

Not that you really have to worry about boycotts. Not enough people actually boycott games -- despite what they say -- that it means much.
    edited October 2019
    Just don't try it on this forum - that's all. They changed that rule here after we had 25000 signatures on the missing Sims 4 content when the game came out about us doing such a thing again on this forum... in our signatures or anywhere to do with this forum or in the game. I even got a time out for over a week and jailed once for linking to the the sign up sheet with all the signatures and at the time did not even know they had made it a bannable offense.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I agree and support the idea
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I think it's extremely dramatic to call it abuse, but I do support the fact people aren't just blindly buying packs anymore and expecting better quality from EA. They are better than what they've been pushing out, and we deserve better than what they've been pushing out.

From what I heard the translation is a bit off instead of abuse it's supposed to be translated as "exploit".
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm not sure what I think. I am aware of issues with EA's business model certainly, but I'm not sure reading that, what they hope to accomplish.
    The person that translated it into English should have also edited it to reflect the way we actually speak. When things are translated directly without proper form for the new language, they come across as immature and stilted.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    Just don't try it on this forum - that's all. They changed that rule here after we had 25000 signatures on the missing Sims 4 content when the game came out about us doing such a thing again on this forum... in our signatures or anywhere to do with this forum or in the game. I even got a time out for over a week and jailed once for linking to the the sign up sheet with all the signatures and at the time did not even know they had made it a bannable offense.
    The hashtags refer to Twitter, not this forum. This forum doesn’t do hashtags.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

But it is EA twitter - so same thing. Read the tos. We cannot refer to any EA controlled site. The gallery is EA's.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    Well, I think if people don't like a pack they shouldn't buy it, not start a hashtag. What's the use of starting a twitter war when you still give them your money? That's called being a hypocrite.

"Oh I don't like it and I'm not happy with it, but it's the sims so I'll buy, cause I buy everything". That makes no sense.

Back in TS3 days there were very little reviews, compared to today. Today, the devs literally show you what's in the pack before it's even released so it's on you really.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I understand but I will not take part
    I see where they're coming from. I really, truly do.

But I'm not going to stop buying packs. I only have a few, and if I don't buy more I'll be playing this empty shell with almost no middle for a long time.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

But it is EA twitter - so same thing. Read the tos. We cannot refer to any EA controlled site. The gallery is EA's.

I'm sorry I didn't know EA owned twitter -.-
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

LOL

I don't care if they say don't steal I still upload them if I change them. They don't belong to the person that made it anyways when you add it to the gallery.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse
    EA absolutely is (pardon my harsh language) hot garbage and has just been getting worse lately, and every recent pack has been a disappointment and yes, I'm not buying any future packs or Sims 5 until I see actual relevant CHANGE. With that said, "abuse" is a bit of a strong word isn't it? It's the kind of thing that, I imagine, would make the average casual observer roll their eyes and move on with their lives without giving it a second thought. Still, I totally support people not blindly throwing their money at a consistently low-performing company for nostalgia, or aesthetic, or whatever other reason people are still buying Sims 4 packs for (because let's be real, it isn't for the "gameplay" or "content").

I was mildly hyped for RoM but figured it'd fall short of what I'd want out of it, and a little research seems to have proven that to be true. I'm sure University will end up the same way, just like Island Living and Strangerville, two other packs I was excited for before actually playing and quickly growing bored with them. Mods and CC are the only things keeping this game playable and even they can only do so much. I'd personally use a different hashtag but whatever gets those who are consistently disappointed to not waste their money with EA is fine by me.

I feel it's important to add that I have nothing but respect and admiration for the sims team themselves, I just wish EA would allow them more time and freedom to actually give players the game they want instead of the same watered down trash we keep getting. Maybe a major drop in sells would actually get them to listen to the fanbase but with a company this stubborn and greedy, well, I'm not holding my breath.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I agree and support the idea
    From what I heard the translation is a bit off instead of abuse it's supposed to be translated as "exploit".
    As a french speaker this is what my brain understood (as in, "tu abuses de ma patience"), and I was confused by the "outrage".
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I think. I am aware of issues with EA's business model certainly, but I'm not sure reading that, what they hope to accomplish.
    The person that translated it into English should have also edited it to reflect the way we actually speak. When things are translated directly without proper form for the new language, they come across as immature and stilted.
    When should they have edited it? Once a hashtag is taken over by the Twitter crowd, it’s out of your control.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I think it will not change anything at all
    Well, I only just heard about this when clicking on this thread. But ain't nothing gonna change with EA, not to mention so many fans that are totally fine with the game despite the lackluster gameplay. Players have asked for better personalities and the like for years and nothing has changed So, meh.....

Good on them for at least trying to band together to ask for game improvements, but I doubt it'll do anything.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    To liken being disappointed by a game to abuse is a bit much IMO.
    I'm not offended per se, I just think the comparison is absurd.

That being said, I don't really think the hashtag is necessary and I'm not sure what people intend to accomplish with it.
    Opinions differ on what "needs to be done" even amongst those involved in the discussion.
    It's hard to make demands and come to a conclusion that pleases the majority when those demands are contradictory to begin with.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
    Renato10 wrote: »
    So wait is this about money or sexuality?? LOL

I suppose its about money and lackluster content. People who are pushing sexuality conversations to this are completely out of topic!

Thank you :) I was confused hehe
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The hashtag is confusing especially since well many of the hashtags on Twitter that have abuse in the game are actually dealing with real life abuse situations. I think EA listen would have been better and less confusing. Not the first time Simmers have protested against EA especially during the Sims 4. People are free to do what they want with their money whether support the game or not. Those things aren't allowed on forums anymore due to it being a company site, but on Twitter people get away with anything and honestly couldn't care less about that site. It is nothing more than a social site used to promote political dramas.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • VoltronVoltron Posts: 290 Member
    I must say, the article was spot-on!

"A recurring issue with The Sims is that usually, when a sequel is developed and released, it builds upon its predecessor and moves forward in terms of quality and value. Unfortunately, in this franchise, it’s backward; subsequent iterations of the game would end up launching a bare-bones base game and reuse expansion packs from the previous generations, instead of including that content at launch and adding different material, content, and themes."

"It was also plagued with bugs and some issues both game-breaking and not, most of which still have not been fixed or addressed five years later."

I agree with the movement but I think #EAListen sounds much better - it isn't hostile towards EA. Also, it's not offensive to anyone in any language.
    TBImXnt.gif