Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tutorial - Free Model to The Sims 4 Game - Step by Step

gustavowizardgustavowizard Posts: 616 Member
edited June 2019 in CAS Custom Content
Hello guys,

This will be a tutorial to get a free model on the internet and make it into a CAS CC mod for the Sims 4.

Programs you will need:
Blender
Photoshop (or picture editing equivalent software)
Sims4Studio
Pepakura Designer 4

Step 1: Pick your Model
Most times i google image what i want with 'pepakura' at the end; pepakura models most times are low poly and very good for sims 4 convertion, they are also way easier to texture mapping.
For this tutorial i will be making a Megaman (rockman) Helmet, i pick the model here:

https://www.deviantart.com/gankutsu-o-taku/art/Rockman-Mega-Man-Helmet-Pepakura-621793106
(the model is locked but the password is over there on the post)

Step 2: Export your Model
Open the .pdo file on Pepakura Designer, do NOT open on viewer (u cant export models there), use the password and press OK, or get a unlocked file.

[img][/img]47981196971_db3e149603_b.jpg1 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

Export the File as a .obj (this will be our pre-model)
Also Export the Bitmap as a .png (this will be our texture)

[img][/img]47981146813_51dd16fc8a_b.jpg2 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

Step 3: Import to Blender
Open Blender, click on import -> .obj
Then save as 'Name'.blender on desktop (i recoment name it FILENAME_addon, so you can organize it better later)

Step 4: Sim4Studio -> Pick your base model
Now you need to open Sim4Studio, go on CAS then create new mesh, now pick a CAS item that match the category and the general shape of the model you want to add, for example, in this case i will be picking a helmet that is open on the front (if you pick a base full closed helmet, it will come with a 'buffer' voice effect ingame, so you use close helmets for CC close helmets), i will be picking this helmet:

[img][/img]47981184583_b9da917a86_b.jpg3 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

Pick a Name for your mod now (pick a name so you can find it easy later, i put Wiz on all my mods so this will be called WizMegaManHelmet.
You already have your pre-mod!
Now go on Meshes -> export mesh (save as MegaManHelmet -> this will be your final model)

Step 5: Blender Work
Open your exported mesh on Blender, click on append ->obj-> your model
you will have something like this now:

[img][/img]47981262291_f93decb6b0_h.jpg4 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

Most models, even low poly pepakuras, are way bigger than Sim 4 models, so now you need to re-scale, rotate, scale X and Z, until you got the shape of the sims head (use the base helmet as model)

When you get the shape you want, select the hole mesh, and map the texture, i wont get into detail on this but you need to think on parts, use the template texture for sims 4 locations (each color is a location), you map the texture on places that will affect the head only (for its shape this helmet will 'delete' earring, hair, and will go on hat slot, so i mapped like the picture below

Now change the Viewport Shading to 'Solid', select the base mesh then select the megaman helmet, then click on Weight Paint, then click on Transfer Weights (this will make the megaman model 'stick' to the Sim head.

also you got to rename the uvmap to uv_0 and add a new layer , uv_1
AFTER you done with mapping

[img][/img]47981275282_07d769abb5_h.jpg5 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

After that you can select the hole base mesh model and delete it, but dont delete the mesh itself, then select the megaman helmet mesh, select the empty base mesh, and Crtl+J join them.

finally, export your UV layout (the texture map)
Save the File.

Step 6: Import to Sims4Studio
Go back to your mod file, click import mesh and import your new model.

import the mesh for the other LODS (unless you want to decimate for each smaller LOD - there are tutorials for that, but if your model is not HD than you dont need it at all, wont make difference in-game)

If the base model had more than 1 mesh and your final model have only 1 mesh, you will have to go to warehouse and manual delete each extra mesh for the 4 LODS, be sure to not delete your own meshes thou.

Step 7: Make your Texture
Open your megamanhelmetmap (texture map) on photoshop and paint it (you can use the texture you export on step 1 and fit it on the map, this will be much faster than paint it manually)

[img][/img]47981464871_981630e6f2_h.jpg6 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

[img][/img]47981410913_38d0d00fb6_h.jpg7 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

Sometimes, on pepakura models, the borders are meant to be cut on real life to make paper models, so the model will look like this now:

[img][/img]47981421168_920d6d8d05_h.jpg8 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

A solution is to manually paint the borders as solid colors, like so:

[img][/img]47981412687_24129e8d06_h.jpg9 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

So the model is pretty much ready now:
[img][/img]47981412612_034bf00533_h.jpg10 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

After that import your texture back, remove shadow, specular and normal textures, make your own specular channel (i recomend medium gray at 50% transparency and a light gray mask)

Save it,
put the mod in the mod folder, and test it!

[img][/img]47981455417_ee9c8d2340_h.jpg06-01-19_6-59-55 PM by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

[img][/img]47981454198_f7843b9475_h.jpg06-01-19_7-00-00 PM by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr

PRESTO! as you guys can see it works perfect in-game. and got a nice shinny too! specular makes a difference!

here is the helmet for download if someone want:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4l51syb3781lad7/WizMegaManHelmet.package/file

Any questions ask here!
ENJOY!

Post edited by gustavowizard on

Comments

• gustavowizardgustavowizard Posts: 616 Member
    35eI9te.png

when u are mapping your The Sims 4 models textures, remember this file! its the key to map things right and dont conflict
    mapping
    tumblr_p8cplsr0i31x4nl8to1_1280.png
    also remember you must use 1024x2048 size or its multiples (sometimes you can use 2048x4096, but then you need to map this on blender first! (load the larger image on blender)
  • MannNovaMannNova Posts: 1 New Member
    I followed this but could not get it to work. My meshes do not show up in Studio when I import them.
    hum try to do it again without messing around the uv_1 layer... im not into that yet so im not touching them on my CC now...
  • Plumbobman45Plumbobman45 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @gustavowizard said:
    > Hello guys,
    >
    > This will be a tutorial to get a free model on the internet and make it into a CAS CC mod for the Sims 4.
    >
    > Programs you will need:
    > Blender
    > Photoshop (or picture editing equivalent software)
    > Sims4Studio
    > Pepakura Designer 4
    >
    > Step 1: Pick your Model
    > Most times i google image what i want with 'pepakura' at the end; pepakura models most times are low poly and very good for sims 4 convertion, they are also way easier to texture mapping.
    > For this tutorial i will be making a Megaman (rockman) Helmet, i pick the model here:
    >
    > https://www.deviantart.com/gankutsu-o-taku/art/Rockman-Mega-Man-Helmet-Pepakura-621793106
    > (the model is locked but the password is over there on the post)
    >
    >
    > Step 2: Export your Model
    > Open the .pdo file on Pepakura Designer, do NOT open on viewer (u cant export models there), use the password and press OK, or get a unlocked file.
    >
    > [img][/img](Image)
    > 1 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    > Export the File as a .obj (this will be our pre-model)
    > Also Export the Bitmap as a .png (this will be our texture)
    >
    > [img][/img]2 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    >
    > Step 3: Import to Blender
    > Open Blender, click on import -> .obj
    > Then save as 'Name'.blender on desktop (i recoment name it FILENAME_addon, so you can organize it better later)
    >
    >
    > Step 4: Sim4Studio -> Pick your base model
    > Now you need to open Sim4Studio, go on CAS then create new mesh, now pick a CAS item that match the category and the general shape of the model you want to add, for example, in this case i will be picking a helmet that is open on the front (if you pick a base full closed helmet, it will come with a 'buffer' voice effect ingame, so you use close helmets for CC close helmets), i will be picking this helmet:
    >
    > [img][/img](Image)
    > 3 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    > Pick a Name for your mod now (pick a name so you can find it easy later, i put Wiz on all my mods so this will be called WizMegaManHelmet.
    > You already have your pre-mod!
    > Now go on Meshes -> export mesh (save as MegaManHelmet -> this will be your final model)
    >
    >
    > Step 5: Blender Work
    > Open your exported mesh on Blender, click on append ->obj-> your model
    > you will have something like this now:
    >
    > [img][/img]4 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    > Most models, even low poly pepakuras, are way bigger than Sim 4 models, so now you need to re-scale, rotate, scale X and Z, until you got the shape of the sims head (use the base helmet as model)
    >
    > When you get the shape you want, select the hole mesh, and map the texture, i wont get into detail on this but you need to think on parts, use the template texture for sims 4 locations (each color is a location), you map the texture on places that will affect the head only (for its shape this helmet will 'delete' earring, hair, and will go on hat slot, so i mapped like the picture below
    >
    > Now change the Viewport Shading to 'Solid', select the base mesh then select the megaman helmet, then click on Weight Paint, then click on Transfer Weights (this will make the megaman model 'stick' to the Sim head.
    >
    > also you got to rename the uvmap to uv_0 and add a new layer , uv_1
    > AFTER you done with mapping
    >
    > [img][/img](Image)
    > 5 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    > After that you can select the hole base mesh model and delete it, but dont delete the mesh itself, then select the megaman helmet mesh, select the empty base mesh, and Crtl+J join them.
    >
    > finally, export your UV layout (the texture map)
    > Save the File.
    >
    >
    > Step 6: Import to Sims4Studio
    > Go back to your mod file, click import mesh and import your new model.
    >
    > import the mesh for the other LODS (unless you want to decimate for each smaller LOD - there are tutorials for that, but if your model is not HD than you dont need it at all, wont make difference in-game)
    >
    > If the base model had more than 1 mesh and your final model have only 1 mesh, you will have to go to warehouse and manual delete each extra mesh for the 4 LODS, be sure to not delete your own meshes thou.
    >
    >
    > Step 7: Make your Texture
    > Open your megamanhelmetmap (texture map) on photoshop and paint it (you can use the texture you export on step 1 and fit it on the map, this will be much faster than paint it manually)
    >
    > [img][/img]6 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    > [img][/img](Image)
    > 7 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    >
    > Sometimes, on pepakura models, the borders are meant to be cut on real life to make paper models, so the model will look like this now:
    >
    > [img][/img]8 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    >
    > A solution is to manually paint the borders as solid colors, like so:
    >
    > [img][/img](Image)
    > 9 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    >
    > So the model is pretty much ready now:
    > [img][/img]10 by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    >
    > After that import your texture back, remove shadow, specular and normal textures, make your own specular channel (i recomend medium gray at 50% transparency and a light gray mask)
    >
    > Save it,
    > put the mod in the mod folder, and test it!
    >
    > [img][/img](Image)
    > 06-01-19_6-59-55 PM by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    > [img][/img]06-01-19_7-00-00 PM by Gustavo Lacerda Homem Assumpcao, no Flickr
    >
    >
    > PRESTO! as you guys can see it works perfect in-game. and got a nice shinny too! specular makes a difference!
    >
    > here is the helmet for download if someone want:
    > http://www.mediafire.com/file/4l51syb3781lad7/WizMegaManHelmet.package/file
    >
    > Any questions ask here!
    > ENJOY!

hey, I can't see the helmet in cas, where is it? how do i make it show?
  • Plumbobman45Plumbobman45 Posts: 3 New Member
    > hey, I can't see the helmet in cas, where is it? how do i make it show?