Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Yay or Nay?

emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
Hey fellow Sims 3 Simmers! :grin:

I'm reliving my Sims 2 days by having my sims run a McDonald's restaurant. :p Naturally the only thing close to Sims 2 OFB in the Sims 3 is the "Business as Usual Bistro" and "The Savvy Seller" store sets. (Yes I have the stuff from NRaas to improve on them ;) ). In this case I will be making this McDonald's into a "Bistro." :blush:

Anyway, since I'm terrible at building I found someone who already built a McD's restaurant online and uploaded it to share with the world. I took advantage of that. :mrgreen: *So all credit towards the basic build of this lot goes to TBHOW on YouTube. (They did a speed build of it and included the download in the description. It does come with a bit of CC - which I didn't add all of it in because I had other stuff that would suffice - just FYI. :) )

Here's how it looks:
mcds-original.jpg

So taking this very well built McD's, I went and added my own, personal touch and design style to it. :blush: Because...isn't that what we all do? ;)

I felt the exterior needed improvement. And I realize the builder was trying to make it look like a modern, big city, McD's which is cool, but I wanted to add some of the small town McD's looks to it, because...I like them. ;) So I looked up pictures of basic McDonald's exteriors to get an idea of how I could improve on it my way. I settled on this photo (even though it's a little dark...):
081F2267-3AFB-400E-9842-C33374F3EDA1-800x400.jpeg

^I want you to pay particular attention to the yellow arch thingy right above the McDonald's lighted letters on the roof. Got it? :)

I tried to recreate that the best way I could onto this building and...part of me thinks it looks good...but the other part of me is like, "Meh." :confused:

So that's where your opinions come in to help me decide whether I should keep it or not. :p

Yay or nay to that yellow arch thing on the roof?

Yay:
Mc-D-Poll-1.jpg

Nay:
Mc-D-Poll-2.jpg

Bonus pic:
Here's how it looks all lit up at night, WITH the yellow arch thingy:
Mc-D-Poll-4.jpg

Hmm...

Should've done at night without the yellow arch thingy, but I didn't...sorry. I was just anxious to get this poll out. :p

***See the finished product of this McDonald's lot in the "What Happened In Your Sims 3 Game Today?" thread, which will be coming soon! :star: ***
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Yay or Nay? 45 votes

Yay
66%
nickibitswardIdontrcallthebriamonjaletu2005PlayerSinger2010PuddinroyAnmirlaMikezumijillbgGabbyGirlJlisasc360igazormw1525InfraGreendeadhaus123bekkasanadamzaidSigzy05Sims4MagicalTalesthuggishsplicer 30 votes
Nay
33%
Emily4331Rflong7IreneSwiftmariajane216cocoking_of_simcity7budewarminKevinL5275GoulsquashEvie0602Kynanmandyssims93rubyskywalkerxShortSimmerxSimexpert123 15 votes

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yay
    The yellow arch things on the roof are to prevent birds from nesting up there and from flying into the HVAC system. Don't ask me how I know this. (Actually I'm just making that up, but I tend to speak with authority having worked my way through college and grad school, and a bit after, in one of those McCareers).

For next time perhaps, there is a third alternative in TS3 for food service to consider that I use a lot. That would be the bakery store set displays with the NRaas Cupcake mod so that the displays carry whatever kinds of food/recipes you want to make available to your customers. It's won't be exactly a fast food joint as you won't see the workers preparing the food or working/cleaning a fry station, but it does do a pretty good job of emulating counter service. I find that the bakery cash registers still make a mess of Role Sim assignment even with NRaas Register in play, so instead I station one or more custom Role Sims by way of Arsil's mod from MTS behind the counter so it looks like they are actually working back there. Others' experiences may vary, but we all still have "billions and billions served" or whatever. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    @igazor Good to know! Thank you for sharing your wisdom. :star:
    The yellow arch thing on the roof is to keep birds from flying into the HVAC system. Don't ask me how I know this. (Actually I'm just making that up, but I tend to speak with authority having worked my way through college and grad school, and a bit after, in one of those McCareers).
    ^I totally believed that for a second! :lol: I was like: :open_mouth: Really!? To :lol:

I too worked at McD's way back when, when I was 16. Worst job ever....... :unamused:
    I was good at my job, but my managers were awful! :angry:

Anyway! Carry on my friends. :)
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Yay
    @emorrill Yay! Can I have a Big Mac, pretty please? :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • KynanKynan Posts: 468 Member
    Nay
    I voted nay, someone had to do it. :D Seriously, the reason was because it's not an arch, but not much you can do about that.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Yay
    I like the yellow trim, it adds that little something extra to it! Great job.
    edited September 2019
    jillbg wrote: »
    @emorrill Yay! Can I have a Big Mac, pretty please? :)

Done! :p

1546524454618.png

Kynan wrote: »
    I voted nay, someone had to do it. :D Seriously, the reason was because it's not an arch, but not much you can do about that.

^ :lol: I knew someone would say something like this. :p But yeah, not much I can do. (Unless someone created CC for it, but I haven't found any...)

@bekkasan Thank you sweet lady. :kissing_heart:

I'm surprised at all the Yays! I thought for sure that Nay would win this one. :smiley:
    But seeing how much all of you like it, I think I'm starting to like it more too. :blush:
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Yay
    I voted 'Yay' for two reasons.
    1). Because the roof looks kind-of empty with nothing up there and,
    2). It's in the SimVerse and doesn't have to be exactly as the ones in our world are.
    mw1525 wrote: »
    I voted 'Yay' for two reasons.
    1). Because the roof looks kind-of empty with nothing up there and,
    2). It's in the SimVerse and doesn't have to be exactly as the ones in our world are.

^I'm with you on that. :blush:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Nay
    Nay for me. It's too much for my simple tastes. :)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Nay
    I would say Nay for now. Might have to ask a creator to find an arc that fits the exact one :smile:

I must admit I do miss the old style McDonald's with those plastic red chairs. In my area they all went 'Bistro looking' in 2012.

Would be awesome if you could find a Ronald to fit on the top though!

patrick-keiller-has-been-filming-londons-slow-collapse-since-the-1990s-1413263485522.jpeg?crop=1xw%3A0.873059866962306xh%3Bcenter%2Ccenter&resize=2000%3A*
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Nay
    Nay, I agree with @king_of_simcity7
    But it does show McDonald's places are unique...
    It just doesn't seem like an arch to me.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Yay
    @emorrill - Were you aware, Sandy of ATS3 has created a McDonald's set? She has all the furnishings and even some custom foods. Here's the link just in case you want to check it out (if you haven't already) :).

McDonald's Restaurant:
    https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/room_downtown_68.shtml
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yay
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @emorrill - Were you aware, Sandy of ATS3 has created a McDonald's set? She has all the furnishings and even some custom foods. Here's the link just in case you want to check it out (if you haven't already) :).

McDonald's Restaurant:
    https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/room_downtown_68.shtml
    OMG, that's a horrible set of screen shots! There's way too much food in the bin/pass-through with no customers in line (and what are fries even doing in there?), someone is serving a happy meal without having drawn the drink first, lids on hot beverages are not optional, the dining area needs to be cleaned up immediately, and there's no prices on the menu boards. I demand to speak with the manager, but they're probably too busy chasing birds off the roof!

(sighs) Ever wish you could erase around 15 years of your life from your memory completely?

Just kidding of course, Sandy's stuff is always brilliant. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @mw1525 Yes. :) I happened upon her McDs set as I was looking for CC to add to it. Thank you. :blush:

@igazor :joy:
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited September 2019
    Nay
    Sorry Em I hate to be in the minority but I think I prefer it without the arch. Maybe you could change the fence along the roof to look more blocky to replicate the arch but I'm not sure. Most McDonalds here in Australia are very similar to your design and have the whole clean lines and modern design thing going for them. I do really like the yellow trim above the doors and windows :smile:
    coco wrote: »
    Sorry Em I hate to be in the minority but I think I prefer it without the arch. Maybe you could change the fence along the roof to look more blocky to replicate the arch but I'm not sure. Most McDonalds here in Australia are very similar to your design and have the whole clean lines and modern design thing going for them. I do really like the yellow trim above the doors and windows :smile:

@coco You're ok sweetie. :kissing_heart: In fact I was very surprised that Yay is winning the Poll. I thought for sure that most people would choose Nay. :lol: I like it either way so I told myself whatever wins in the Poll, I'll go with. :blush:

In bold: There's an idea...... I might have to look into that. :)
    In italics: Thank you. <3 I was rather proud of the way I got that to turn out. :mrgreen:
    My McDonald's lot is completed! :mrgreen:

Scroll down a bit on this page to see the pictures! :)

Thank you all so much for your input. Looks like I'll be keeping the roof "arch." ;)
    Hey everyone!

I found these other McDonald's deco items from Ladesire and they're spiffin! :star: Thought I would share.

https://ladesire-thesims3.blogspot.com/2015/03/ts3-mcsims-junk-food-set-by-ladesire.html
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    edited October 2019
    So I'm not going to vote - I'm going to make another suggestion. Have you thought about/tried instead of leaving the roof empty, you might find an appropriate door arch to color yellow and add two of them to the roof to simulate an M or the golden arches? I did a quick and dirty version for you

y2E7NrT.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yay
    The restaurant “Golden Arches” is perfect, dear @emorrill . You do know the horrible part of this is that you’ve now made me hungry enough to go up to 96th and pick myself up three McDoubles, alarge order of fries and a chocolate shake. :wince:

Perchance. Is the drivethru open 24hrs? :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    So I'm not going to vote - I'm going to make another suggestion. Have you thought about/tried instead of leaving the roof empty, you might find an appropriate door arch to color yellow and add two of them to the roof to simulate an M or the golden arches? I did a quick and dirty version for you

y2E7NrT.jpg

@AbellaKellaher Hmm. 🤔
    I hadn't thought of that...and thank you for testing it out in your game and showing me. :blush: You're so sweet and thoughtful. :kissing_heart:
    Those look good, I just need the arches to be shorter and wider...I SO wish I could find something in game that will work besides seeking out CC, but even then I can't find anything that comes remotely close. I get too literal sometimes. :p

The restaurant “Golden Arches” is perfect, dear @emorrill . You do know the horrible part of this is that you’ve now made me hungry enough to go up to 96th and pick myself up three McDoubles, alarge order of fries and a chocolate shake. :wince:

Perchance. Is the drivethru open 24hrs? :mrgreen:

@Nikkei_Simmer Thank you buddy. :blush:
    Sorry for causing you to crave the sinful food. :(:lol:
    Our Drive-Thru here is open until...midnight I wanna say and then it reopens at 5 or something. Actually I just looked it up and ours is open 24 hours!!! :astonished: Since WHEN did that happen!?
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    @emorrill lol I was already in build mode on that lot so it really wasn't a thang :) After building a whole (functioning) town in minecraft, I tend to get creative with objects and using them in ways other than intended lol :) If you look close enough at some of my scenes you'll notice that occasionally. The latest chapter in my story has several pieces used like that. :) Either way I hope you find your solution! <3