Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sinking lot

Salome_ErishenSalome_Erishen Posts: 11 New Member
edited March 7 in Nominated Threads

When I try to place Romper recreation Ground in Sunset Valley, the lot always sinks below the level of the road, even when I place it on a preexisting empty lot.

It's so difficult to place new community lots in general, and even more so when trying to place them on empty lots you've created. I think EA should really work on making this more player friendly... I don't wanna have to spend an hour just to place a default lot.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    edited August 2013
    It would be nice if it always works as we'd like. But it doesn't so we need a few cheats to help us.

The one you need to know about for this problem is SetImportedTerrainOffset.

That cheat needs to be followed by a number. You have to experiment to work out what that number needs to be. If the terrain you are importing is sinking below the other surrounding terrain then the number needs to be positive. If the terrain is poking up above the surrounding terrain then the number needs to be negative.

You also need to use ConstrainFloorElevation cheat.

This link will explain to you how it works.

SetImportedTerrainOffset followed by a number

http://oumamea-the-sims3.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/problems-with-lots-sinking-into-ground.html?showComment=1371945888839#c1633653476675176981

You may need to have a few goes to get the number right.

You also need to follow all the steps exactly as they are set out in this blog. That can be difficult at first as it is a bit complicated and some of the finer points may not be noticed at first. But if you reread the instructions if it doesn't work first go, then you will eventually usually fix the problem.

I have given up on dive lots when the surrounding terrain is off the chart different from the lot I've imported.

I've had success with dive lots that are close to similar depths and also have had success with other lots that are on terrain and where the lot is sinking 2 or 3 floors below the rest of the terrain. Numbers that have worked for me in the past have included 2.3 and -1.1 So you can fine tune it for whatever works for you.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited August 2013
    wow Karritz! ive been having similar problems and didnt know of these cheats, thanks!!!
  • Salome_ErishenSalome_Erishen Posts: 11 New Member
    edited August 2013

Thank you for your help. :)

I still think we shouldn't have to use a cheat to play the game the way it was intended.
    edited August 2013
    That's ok. I hope you can make your lots work where you want them to. It is very frustrating when they don't.

I found out about this when I spent ages building a castle on a hill and moved it to a flat lot and discovered it sank about 3 floors below the surface and sims couldn't go into it.

I also had the problem at first, of objects vanishing. I found them below the surface with constrainfloorelevation cheat turned on. I had to dig for them, or delete floor tiles and look through them to find the objects that had sunk below the surface. They don't turn up on the next level down, they just seem to have vanished and the spot where they were is not available to place anything on it as it says it is occupied.

You must make sure you turn the CFE cheat off as things and sims sink all over town if you leave it on by accident. Apparently you start getting messages about Sims starving to death. Lots of them.
  • KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    This cheat isn't working very well, in a user made world I'm trying to use. I can't seem to figure it out. Basically nothing is happening with the house I'm trying to place, and the bridges raise up but not to the full height of the lot.
    This cheat isn't working very well, in a user made world I'm trying to use. I can't seem to figure it out. Basically nothing is happening with the house I'm trying to place, and the bridges raise up but not to the full height of the lot.

Have you experimented with the number after the cheat SetImportedTerrainOffset.

For example I usually start with 3 or -3 depending if I want to raise or lower terrain.

You don't need to use CFE cheat with it.

Just do SetImportedTerrainOffset 3 or SetImportedTerrainOffset -3 and see what happens. If it isn't high enough or not low enough change the number until you are happy. It's a bit tedious but it does do the job. I have had to use it in player made worlds and have managed to get it to work after only two or 3 attempts. But I did end up using the terrain tool to smooth the edges of the lot a bit as I couldn't be bothered with continuing to try with a lot of different numbers that are much the same until it exactly lined up.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    how usefull old threads can be :smile:

thank you @Karritz for your great explanations
    now i know what happens with sims sunken under the ground & why TS4 is all flat :tongue:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Shelterdog4Shelterdog4 Posts: 6 New Member
    I really hope someone sees this, I know its an old thread. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I place a house on a lot, and it sinks. I then type in SetImportedTerrainOffset and then a number. Nothing happens. I delete the house, go back to edit town, enter SetImportedTerrainOffset
    with a number again, place the house and still nothing. HELP!!!!
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    @Shelterdog4 Did you do testingcheatsenabled first? it won't work without it.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
    I really hope someone sees this, I know its an old thread. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I place a house on a lot, and it sinks. I then type in SetImportedTerrainOffset and then a number. Nothing happens. I delete the house, go back to edit town, enter SetImportedTerrainOffset
    with a number again, place the house and still nothing. HELP!!!!

You do need to used TestingCheatsEnabled True before SetImportedTerrainOffset. I have a video in my YouTube chanel that demonstrates this. It includes the cheats.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, considering this has been inactive for quite some time I'm going to go ahead and close this off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top