Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is so Interesting About a Farming Pack?

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Your sim gets up at 5, gathers eggs, milks the cow, feeds the chickens, slops the hogs and bingo, he is ready for breakfast(not enough time for eating, he just has a small black coffee and a bun) now he plows the fields, sows seeds, fertilizes the fields, picks vegetables and fruit and bingo, he is ready for lunch ( he still has a lot to do so he just grabs a handful of trail mix). Now he takes produce to market to sell and picks up supplies, he gets home late in the day and he needs to tend to the goats, horses and sheep, bingo time for dinner but is too tired to eat so he hits the hay at six in order to get ready for another day of drudgery. Pretty interesting, huh.

Actually that sounds awful.

Well if we can't get cars we might get tractors! :D
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited September 2019
    I enjoyed a lot of the farming aspects in Sims 3 and would love to see a return of them in Sims 4. And I know it's just another comparison between the two but some of these things would make this game even more fun.

Nectar Making as said previously your bottles increase in value and it was a fun animation to watch your sims. Specially when they didn't do it correctly.
    Horses were absolutely fun to play with. It was like reliving a childhood dream to have them. I hope if we get them back that they include some rodeo type stuff this go around. Like barrel racing etc...
    Street Market you could have food stalls to sell your hard work of growing crops. And I really do miss having an actual grocery store to go shopping like in Sims 2 so having a market would be nice. It was just fun to do.
    Grandpa's Grove Loved the tractor taking the kids for a tractor ride. I did a sort of haunted hay field and would have sims take a ride. And the furniture and stuff just gave it that little something that really made it country homey. I loved the furniture and stuff and used it a lot.
    Canning Station IRL I would make jams with my mom and would love to do this again in game.
    Cow Corral you could do some cow tipping, play a game with the cows, get your own milk.
    Chicken Coop though I never got this item I did always want it. But you can get your own eggs and they came in different qualities. There was even an evil chicken that would make things get a little tricky and interesting. Have you ever seen people run from chickens, it's hilarious and I think would make some funny interaction in this game.

There was also this country time tea set and I could totally see my grandma sims hanging out on the porch drinking their tea gossiping while grandpa is whittling some wood in his rocking chair.

There's also the opportunity for:
    County Fairs
    Tire Swings
    Porch Swings
    Pet Pigs that could win prizes at the county fair (remember Charlotte's Web)
    Catching FireFles in Mason Jars
    Archery
    WbUrFQm.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2019
    there's a game called stardew valley, a farming simulator role playing video game, and undoubtedly one of the best indie games to date, and you should try playing it to see where some of us are coming from.

1_1screenshot15.png

Great, now you made me want to charge up my Vita so I can continue playing this later, given that I feel too sick to sit at my PC all the time :D
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Your sim gets up at 5, gathers eggs, milks the cow, feeds the chickens, slops the hogs and bingo, he is ready for breakfast(not enough time for eating, he just has a small black coffee and a bun) now he plows the fields, sows seeds, fertilizes the fields, picks vegetables and fruit and bingo, he is ready for lunch ( he still has a lot to do so he just grabs a handful of trail mix). Now he takes produce to market to sell and picks up supplies, he gets home late in the day and he needs to tend to the goats, horses and sheep, bingo time for dinner but is too tired to eat so he hits the hay at six in order to get ready for another day of drudgery. Pretty interesting, huh.

Actually that sounds awful.

Well if we can't get cars we might get tractors! :D

That doesn't make me want farming. I don't care about vehicles.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited September 2019
    there's a game called stardew valley, a farming simulator role playing video game, and undoubtedly one of the best indie games to date, and you should try playing it to see where some of us are coming from.

Or, those of us who've played Farmville and some of its clones can say we still don't see how that would be interesting/fun within the world of the sims. I think that last part is key.

Farmville was something I could pop in and out of, spend maybe 10-15 minutes playing and then go do something else. Sims is something I play for a couple of hours at a time, and I don't want to spend most of those hours watching them tend crops or animals over and over and over again.

But wait, you say, how is watching them play video games or write better? For the former, I got the VR gaming rig for my sims for that reason. For the later - it's not, but it's also not something my sim need to do every day. Watching them paint or play music... that's seeing them produce (often hilariously bad) art. And I can have my sim spend one afternoon painting, another afternoon writing, and a third entered in a video game tournament.

And I think that's the heart of why i don't get why Farming in the Sims would be interesting, because on a real farm, there is no day off. The cows don't care if it's Christmas or Easter or your 50th birthday or your Eldest's wedding. Every day ends up being more or less the same, with very little time for other pursuits. (Again, I'm not talking out of nothing here. I got to see working farms every summer from when I was two until I was 16 and had a summer job - and even during county fair week, the animals still needed to be fed, both the ones at the farm and at the fairgrounds.)

I'd rather have my sims working on those other pursuits.

But hey, if other people find it fun, more power to them. And maybe when they do come along with Farms for Sims 4, they'll find ways to keep the drudgery to a minimum and I'll find enough other stuff that I'll want to get it.

After all, they managed to sell me on the Moschino pack...
  • JnyxJnyx Posts: 273 Member
    Nearly everything so far in the Sims 4 is target towards young adults and like a party have fun lifestyle. I'd love something new and different.

I want new things from the Sims, as much as I love getting things like University and Seasons like we've had in previous games, the excitement wears off for me quickly because even though it's new it's not new.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    edited September 2019
    I try and try to wrap my head around why the community at large appears to want a farming pack (and yet, among themselves tend to have disagreements for what should be included in said farming pack: meat or no meat? Eastern European/Scandanavian/Asian/American Midwest world? A second huge gardening overhaul? Well-developed livestock that will take up household slots, or rough creatures with minimal animation?)

I get that there is a City Living pack, and in contrast I would enjoy a Country Living pack. One that's sort of equally opposite from City Living. Instead of cramped apartments, huge lots, spread out, no neighbors. Instead of vibrant innovative community events, there would be quaint, casual county fairs, instead of spicy food contests, pie eating contests. Instead of singing and karaoke, there is sewing and quilting circles. Instead of delightful neighbors, maybe a bit more judgmental attitudes and gossip (that's a small town stereotype, but I'm from a small town so it's okay?) One similarity between City Living and Country Living: mouse holes.

A complete parallel remake of City Living would probably have a lot of backlash, but I would like it.
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    I guess on the same frame of context, what is so interesting about a university pack? I mean how many people jump for joy when they wake up and have to go to school in the first place? I think about 98% of anyone prays for snow days if they're in that climate. Does anyone relish doing calculus? Spending tons of money on schooling only to end up working at Burger King in the end? How exciting is homework to do, but yet you want to watch a pixel human do it? Regardless, it's all what a person likes or wants. I personally don't see why anyone would want babies or toddlers in a game lol But it's what people would like or enjoy. I don't see babies as anything interesting in both pixel form and in reality lol Like what some folks say, if you aren't keen on that kind of pack then don't buy it in the first place. There's always going to be things people find boring that other people find exciting. There's no country representation at all and I find that disappointing. You like to eat you have a farmer to thank for that, not some dude with a degree.
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited September 2019
    [...]So please. Explain to me, why you think a Farming pack would be fun.

We have a city world (San Myshuno), two desert worlds (Oasis Springs and StrangerVille), a shopping district (Magnolia Promenade), a dark world (Forgotten Hollow), a coastal world (Brindleton Bay), an island world (Sulani), a world in the woods (Glimmerbrook) and several suburbs/villages (Willow Creek, New Crest, Windenburg, Del Sol Valley). I think what's missing is a rural world!

Appaloosa Plains was my favorite world in TS3.

We also have a lot of modern game play currently (several social media careers, city festivals, gaming console, every Sims having a smartphone, most of the clothing in game, etc.). With the off-the-grid lot trait we got something different. Why not expand on this with a rural world, nectar making, preserving, harvesting crops, a farmer's market, cows, chicken, pigs, horses, sheep? Like Sulani it gives Sims a different environment and Sims who decide to live there will take it slower than Sims living in San Myshuno for example.

I just love to have the choice in a game like "The Sims 4".
    Wanna live the life of a global superstar in 'Hollywood'? Check!
    Wanna live the life of a modern youtuber living in an apartment? Check!
    Wanna live the life of a conservationist on an island and save the oceans? Check!
    Wanna live the 'normal' day-to-day family life in different environments? Check!
    Wanna live the life of a broke college student? Soon: check!
    Wanna live the life of a farmer raising kettle? Currently: unchecked.

Just have a look at this "Farm Fresh Folk" or the "Country Livin'" set at the TS3 store:
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?categoryId=&scategoryId=14219&index=0&productId=OFB-SIM3:68674&pcategoryId=12856&ppcategoryId=14218
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?categoryId=&scategoryId=14031&index=0&productId=OFB-SIM3:63813&pcategoryId=12856&ppcategoryId=14030
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    From my point of view, they already made pretty decent improvements in Seasons, so I don't really see why they would bother with it again. Also I don't think horses would work in TS4, it just wouldn't be fun. To me, horses were fun in TS3 because it had an open world, you could trot around the town, use it as a vehicle etc. So I can't see a point, really.

I don't see how horses don't work in Sims 4. Yes, there is no open world, but there are open neighborhoods.
    They can make rural neighborhoods where you can roam around on your horse. It's nothing different compared to walking around with your Sim.
    The objects horses can interact with; i.e. training equipment, you will only use at your home lot anyway, so are the stables.

I don't see any reason for why they can't add them to the game.

Personally I don't care, because I never been really into the horses in Sims 3, but they can work perfectly fine in Sims 4.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes, I think it's a counterpoint to City Living. We've had some beautiful immersive worlds and that's one style that is missing in the game, especially with some larger lots. There might be a little town with a fairgrounds and a horse stable then mostly sprawling lots that are spread out.

Nectar and jam-making would go together, I think. While we have some plants there are others that we don't. I know that farming can vary in different climates but with Seasons that could be another factor. You could go the corn/wheat/soy route or vineyards or orange groves or banana farms.

Eggs/cheese - pretty uncontroversial. Farm-to-table. A lot of family gameplay for those motivated by it. It has existed in different forms in prior versions, I definitely remember haystack woohoo existed. There are ways that they could make it funny.

Actually the country fair idea is great. That could be a way of incorporating more games.

I know there are elements in the game but that doesn't mean it has been fully done as a concept. I'm also not dissing other games out there but they are different - different visual styles and game focus. Now we have weather. Sims have lifespans to manage and many aspects of their lives like when they last had a shower or making sure that homework gets done.

Yeah, I know that The Sims right now needs some more activities and things to do. That said, it does create atmosphere well I think and is conceptually different than other games.

I play with all the worlds I have and I'd keep playing with the others, but yes, this is missing from the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Thumbnail_688x336.jpg

Chickens!

I would really like to have that in the game. Could use that is so many places and with so many households. Both my parents grew up in super-small farming communities but moved to the capital for studies and jobs. I just grew up with their stories of farmlife. Would be fun to live it out in the Sims.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm going to be weird and suggest peacocks. How would owning a peacock not be fun? My uncle has peafowl on his farm, and I love hanging out with them. They can be aggressive, but they're really sweet once you bond with them. And you can sell the feathers they drop.
    To7m wrote: »
    Can you imagine the time it will take to care for all the animals etc?

Gardening already is so time consuming, I have to have a group help.
    —T
    Farming could let you hire farmhands, or use tools to speed up the farming process immensely. If a giant farm is too overwhelming, you can just start small and move at your own pace.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    And I think that's the heart of why i don't get why Farming in the Sims would be interesting, because on a real farm, there is no day off. The cows don't care if it's Christmas or Easter or your 50th birthday or your Eldest's wedding. Every day ends up being more or less the same, with very little time for other pursuits. (Again, I'm not talking out of nothing here. I got to see working farms every summer from when I was two until I was 16 and had a summer job - and even during county fair week, the animals still needed to be fed, both the ones at the farm and at the fairgrounds.)
    I know you have experience, and I know you know what you're talking about. I get where you're coming from. But from my experience, you can have some variety in your life from time to time. Farming is hard work and time-consuming, but it doesn't have to run your entire life. You can still have a social life, head into town, hold house parties, have hobbies, visit family, etc. Granted, we only did a couple of country fairs, so prepping for that wasn't something we did.

Also, keep in mind this would be a video game version of farming; expect it to be simplified for the sake of convenience and gameplay. The game already lets you leave your local library to visit an island paradise in less than ten seconds. If anyone plays Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, you can see what I mean: you can just tend to animals once or twice a day, harvest your crops once a day (or less), and spend the rest of the day either following a routine or doing whatever you please. The only wrench would be random events, like animals getting loose or sick, your animals giving birth, wild animals tramping your gardens, etc.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Well its partly like having different life styles inthegame.I think it will be fun of we had a country packed.That had us raise farm animals,and sell goods
    Also stuff like country music,and dancing.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    AphoticLee wrote: »
    I enjoyed a lot of the farming aspects in Sims 3 and would love to see a return of them in Sims 4. And I know it's just another comparison between the two but some of these things would make this game even more fun.

Nectar Making as said previously your bottles increase in value and it was a fun animation to watch your sims. Specially when they didn't do it correctly.
    Horses were absolutely fun to play with. It was like reliving a childhood dream to have them. I hope if we get them back that they include some rodeo type stuff this go around. Like barrel racing etc...
    Street Market you could have food stalls to sell your hard work of growing crops. And I really do miss having an actual grocery store to go shopping like in Sims 2 so having a market would be nice. It was just fun to do.
    Grandpa's Grove Loved the tractor taking the kids for a tractor ride. I did a sort of haunted hay field and would have sims take a ride. And the furniture and stuff just gave it that little something that really made it country homey. I loved the furniture and stuff and used it a lot.
    Canning Station IRL I would make jams with my mom and would love to do this again in game.
    Cow Corral you could do some cow tipping, play a game with the cows, get your own milk.
    Chicken Coop though I never got this item I did always want it. But you can get your own eggs and they came in different qualities. There was even an evil chicken that would make things get a little tricky and interesting. Have you ever seen people run from chickens, it's hilarious and I think would make some funny interaction in this game.

There was also this country time tea set and I could totally see my grandma sims hanging out on the porch drinking their tea gossiping while grandpa is whittling some wood in his rocking chair.

There's also the opportunity for:
    County Fairs
    Tire Swings
    Porch Swings
    Pet Pigs that could win prizes at the county fair (remember Charlotte's Web)
    Catching FireFles in Mason Jars
    Archery

Yes, I loved this in TS3 and it was one of my major game play scenarios.
    My sims were primarily nectar makers and I loved farming the ingredients and stocking a massive wine cellar.
    They would start off with a small garden on a starter house and use nectar making equipment located at a community garden.
    They would end up with a farm with a their own nectar making equipment and finally move up to a mansion as a second property with a really large wine cellar and nectar making equipment.
    Screenshot-446.jpg

Screenshot-448.jpg

Screenshot-462.jpg

Screenshot-275.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    Didn't nectar making come with the Adventures pack in sims 3? It didn't come with the farm pack and it was tied to the French world if I remember right.
    I have to admit, I never saw any fun in a farm pack so I never bought it for sims 3..
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    mock68 wrote: »
    Didn't nectar making come with the Adventures pack in sims 3? It didn't come with the farm pack and it was tied to the French world if I remember right.
    I have to admit, I never saw any fun in a farm pack so I never bought it for sims 3..

We never had a farm pack in TS3.
    All we had was Grand Pa's Grove lot and a few game play objects from the TS3 store.
    It was a small thing, but with other content, I enjoyed it a lot.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019

this is depressing
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member

Farming would certainly be a challenge!! I’m ready for it!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited September 2019

I felt the same about University, the daily grind of computer work to get through the courses and playing on 3 speed all the time without much fun at first. It takes time to sort your game out and enjoy it. All Simmers are used to the "daily grind" from The Sims upwards and some Simmers like to take their games slowly and not cheat and rush through everything on Speed 3.

The same could be said of a farming pack. You could probably make all types of farms from Off the Grid to large well equipped ones where your family or employees have their daily work laid out for them and you just supervise. It might mean that the concept of living where you work could be overhauled which would make a lot of Simmers happy. You could own your own Farmer's shop on the property, have a TV show made around your farm so earning money to run it as several UK farmers do. Get Famous stars could own a farm as many US stars own their own ranches and farms nowadays.

Sims 4 doesn't have huge lots so a world emulating the small to large farms in the UK or Europe might be suitable. The rolling green countryside with hedges and occasional villages for the markets. Occasional over-hot summers and damaging floods, as we have at this moment! If Maxis gave me the basic tools though I could make my own world around it.
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    There's so much that can be on a Farming pack though. For starters, if they ever add horses to TS4, this would be the perfect way to do it. Paired with a country type of World with plenty of trails for the sims to ride their horses as well as an equestrian center.

I care more about having my sims live on a true farm. Not only with plenty of crops and easy ways to manage them in bulk (tractor, hello!) but animals too. Chickens that give you great eggs, goats and cows that give you milk, sheep and rabbits that give you wool! I'd love knitting to be an option to put that wool into use. If they make the animals actually lively and give us plenty of interactions with them, it would be worth it. I just hope it won't be like TS3's store, where they looked more like objects than anything else.
    SimTrippy wrote: »

1_1screenshot15.png

Great, now you made me want to charge up my Vita so I can continue playing this later, given that I feel too sick to sit at my PC all the time :D

Update: the addiction is back :( must.farm.crops.and.romance.npcs
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

1_1screenshot15.png

Uh-oh. But at least it isn't Farmville?

Which makes me wonder: how many people got hooked on farming via that lol

1_1screenshot15.png

Uh-oh. But at least it isn't Farmville?

Which makes me wonder: how many people got hooked on farming via that lol

Hahah idk I never played Farmville tbh, but Stardew Valley is a gorgeous little gem <3
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I want different life styles for my sims. Some resides in the city, while others in the countryside. I want some of those latter to make a living from farming. Only a few families will run major farms (they already run farm, but it feels a bit limited when most of their activity takes place in a greenhouse). I also want some of my poor sims to make ends meet by say having one cow or just a few chicken either for filling their own fridge or to sell at a market.

I don't need full fleshed farm animals. They can't be individual creatures like cats and dogs, because it would take way too much from tech resources. I would not mind if chicken are in a coop (like we had in TS3), or if they are "attached" to certain objects (like shelves and crates) that we can place in a room or outdoor. I want cows (milk+meat), sheep (meat+wool), pigs (meat+bacon) and chicken (eggs/meat). I also want equipment for turning wool into threads/fabric, milk into butter, and a station for canning misc fruit/veggies. This way sims can sell base produce (animals and harvest) directly, or choose to craft it to make better food or increased income. I love that we can cook with home harvested vegetables etc, and I want this option for meat, eggs and milk etc too!

All of the mentioned above can be more or less static objects with just a few animations. A cow can be tied to a pole, a cheep can move only within 1-4 ground tiles. All "animal objects" should have different qualities based on how well the owner treats them. They should reproduce ever so often, which would make for more animals, or some income if sold. I'd also appreciate some minor challenges like the need of calling for a vet, or that they can starve to death or naturally will end their lives from old age. Meaning they need attention, and by time also replacement. I don't need to give a name to each animal, but it would be cute though. Thinking of it this could be executed rather simple, might even be a Game Pack rather than Expansion Pack.

I don't want horses in a Farming pack, as I think they are more hobby like and could come with a "freetime" pack.

All in all it's about life style. It would also match our current ECO-mantra-world, making it possible to make a living from the ground. I also think it would be cute if kids and teens could have chores tending animals, at least there must be something for kids to do.

Oh, I could go on... If we don't get a farm pack I hope they wil give us a Stuff Pack with a chicken coop and 1 cow - lol. My farmers are tired of only growing vegetables and flowers...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg