Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you hope University Adds?

Comments

• veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    edited September 2019
    In TS3 University I think I've only played campus life with 2 or 3 sims and after that I always sent them alone, or made them graduate instantly using cheats. It was totally boring and unnecessary. If there will be an education related pack, the only way to make it fun is to make it go a bit deeper, connect it with existing careers, add new ones, plus create an academic career option. Which means sims can continue to get a master degree then a phd, continue to earn academic titles, become a professor...

And I wonder how it will/should affect the Get to Work pack. If there will be a university system in the game, then sims shouldn't be able to join science, medicine, law careers instantly via phone, they shouldn't be able to gain rocket science skill out of nowhere. All those should require education and diploma. The whole gameplay will change then. High school graduates will have limited career choices.

There's also another subject to consider. In TS2 and TS3, the whole university concept was heavily based on american system. I.e. I didn't even know each year had a name (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior), and that students were grouped in to some weird fraternities and sororities before I played TS2 university. Greek house? Toga parties? Today I still don't understand what those are all about. LOL Because that's not how collage is for everyone.

Some people want collage fee dept after graduation. That can also be irrelevant for many people. There are free state universities, and private universities in many countries. Also, in some places, you have to take a big university exam before you're accepted weather it's a state university or a private one. How can all of these fit in the game?

And even if they do all well, I ultimately think it will still be a pure boring pack. Why do we need that? I don't understand why a university pack is wanted so much. But I shouldn't be surprised as this is the sims community that also wanted "laundry" in the game. Sims people want boring things.

I think university pack will just be another outdoor retreat or jungle adventure which I never have any of my sims visit after playing it once. Still I hope we get some useful objects at least, or may be they can bring back the band thing. I really liked my sims playing instruments together. That was fun. If that comes back, may be we can get some more instruments like flute, cello, drums etc. And there should be a music major of course.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The main focus of Uni in both S2 and S3 was not the learning aspect but the party aspect. Sims didn't go to Uni to get educated as having a degree really didn't mean anything in the end. However, the idea of the packs was to have fun. Toga parties, keg parties, protesting, streaking, etc. Joining a Greek house or being inducted into the Secret Society, hanging out at the bowling alley or comic book shop or sipping coffee at the coffee shop, even turning into a plant sim, all designed around fun not learning.

Online classes would be boring and sims living at home will miss out on the party aspect of the pack. If you take away all the partying, there's no reason to even have a Uni pack as it doesn't amount to anything game-wise in the end. Your sim studies online a few hours a day (which are already crowded, at least in my games) only to earn a degree that doesn't do anything other than allow your sim to start at a higher level in a rabbithole career.

They might toss in a few new ideas like online classes, but don't expect it to be any different in concept than it has been in the past. It might become the best Uni pack ever (note vampires and improvements on past ideas) but the main concept will still be the same.

Plus, by this point in time almost everything has been decided and set it stone with very little room for change except for correcting game play or bug fixing. Cats and Dogs took over a year, by the time we learned of it, it was done. This pack is no different.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    veronica55 wrote: »
    In TS3 University I think I've only played campus life with 2 or 3 sims and after that I always sent them alone, or made them graduate instantly using cheats. It was totally boring and unnecessary. If there will be an education related pack, the only way to make it fun is to make it go a bit deeper, connect it with existing careers, add new ones, plus create an academic career option. Which means sims can continue to get a master degree then a phd, continue to earn academic titles, become a professor...

And I wonder how it will/should affect the Get to Work pack. If there will be a university system in the game, then sims shouldn't be able to join science, medicine, law careers instantly via phone, they shouldn't be able to gain rocket science skill out of nowhere. All those should require education and diploma. The whole gameplay will change then. High school graduates will have limited career choices.

There's also another subject to consider. In TS2 and TS3, the whole university concept was heavily based on american system. I.e. I didn't even know each year had a name (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior), and that students were grouped in to some weird fraternities and sororities before I played TS2 university. Greek house? Toga parties? Today I still don't understand what those are all about. LOL Because that's not how collage is for everyone.

Some people want collage fee dept after graduation. That can also be irrelevant for many people. There are free state universities, and private universities in many countries. Also, in some places, you have to take a big university exam before you're accepted weather it's a state university or a private one. How can all of these fit in the game?

And even if they do all well, I ultimately think it will still be a pure boring pack. Why do we need that? I don't understand why a university pack is wanted so much. But I shouldn't be surprised as this is the sims community that also wanted "laundry" in the game. Sims people want boring things.

I think university pack will just be another outdoor retreat or jungle adventure which I never have any of my sims visit after playing it once. Still I hope we get some useful objects at least, or may be they can bring back the band thing. I really liked my sims playing instruments together. That was fun. If that comes back, may be we can get some more instruments like flute, cello, drums etc. And there should be a music major of course.

To your points about having a more customizable experience due to cultural difference when it comes to University life I hope they give us tools to customize. I'd love to see options on whether we want to charge tuition not, have loans or not.

Im an American myself and rarely play with frats/sororities/party scene in my game because those werent my experiences in college. I did live in the dorms for two years before becoming a commuter student. So for me I'd like the option for my sims to "commute" to school.

I'd like to have tuition/scholarships/loans in my game but I know some players don't want either or one or the other. I play without mods and I'd prefer to have these tools in game. I'd also like to see non playable roommates make a return.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm probably going to be disappointed, as I've come up with what I think would be the a really good & flexible University system (at least in my opinion!) in my head and now nothing will probably compare to it in reality.

I want a create-a-university tool. Kinda like clubs & holidays, but a bit bigger than that. You name your university, maybe give it a logo/colours as branding, choose which majors/subject paths are available, grade requirement from high school (A/B/C/etc.), tuition level, how much of a career boost you get, those kind of things. Nothing super complex (mostly drop down/checkbox options), but really good for gameplay flexibility. Then for each lot in all worlds, you can 'assign' them to belong to a university. A library belongs to this university, this bar belongs to that one. New lots for dorms have to be assigned to a university, but for libraries it is optional. If a lot belongs to a university, students appear more there. This way you can create multiple universities wherever you like, or delete them entirely. Plus have remote universities with no lots anywhere. Classes may still be rabbit holes, or maybe like GTW lots that aren't on the map anywhere so don't matter. Plus different universities could have different benefits/downsides - good for networking, get higher start in specific fields, bad reputation, etc.. The Sims 4 is good at customising things like with holidays and clubs and I'd love to see a system for customising universities like that. Clubs could also be attached as a university club - for current students/alumni/both. Also university needs to be required for some jobs retroactively (though I accept that may be hard to do so I may have to mod it instead) or at least have a significant impact.

It would just be so cool to see like different universities with different buildings, then a sports game event comes up, so so they are decorated in the different colours rival students can fight each other. Or you can create a fully remote university which offers like every course and is cheap, but doesn't have the networking benefits of the elite one. And the university with no grade requirements but has five bars on campus and has tons of networking opportunities because of it. You could even convert every world into a different type of university and just play that if you wanted! I just want all the options possible. I'd only expect the pack to come with a medium world with a pre-generated university (Brindleton Bay/Sulani size) with the usual crappy lots. I'm not asking for too much...at least I don't think I am.

And now I'm going to be disappointed when we get a world with one university and no others (I really want multiple universities!), very little flexibility and random townies visiting the university bar constantly instead of students to break immersion - yes parents can visit, but I don't want to see non students (or professors) around the student lots very much. I don't even feel like I'm asking for anything super difficult or too big. But I'm just expecting to be disappointed anyway :(.
    MsTiquelle wrote: »

I want a create-a-university tool. Kinda like clubs & holidays, but a bit bigger than that. You name your university, maybe give it a logo/colours as branding, choose which majors/subject paths are available, grade requirement from high school (A/B/C/etc.), tuition level, how much of a career boost you get, those kind of things. Nothing super complex (mostly drop down/checkbox options), but really good for gameplay flexibility. Then for each lot in all worlds, you can 'assign' them to belong to a university. A library belongs to this university, this bar belongs to that one. New lots for dorms have to be assigned to a university, but for libraries it is optional. If a lot belongs to a university, students appear more there. This way you can create multiple universities wherever you like, or delete them entirely. Plus have remote universities with no lots anywhere. Classes may still be rabbit holes, or maybe like GTW lots that aren't on the map anywhere so don't matter. Plus different universities could have different benefits/downsides - good for networking, get higher start in specific fields, bad reputation, etc.. The Sims 4 is good at customising things like with holidays and clubs and I'd love to see a system for customising universities like that. Clubs could also be attached as a university club - for current students/alumni/both. Also university needs to be required for some jobs retroactively (though I accept that may be hard to do so I may have to mod it instead) or at least have a significant impact.

It would just be so cool to see like different universities with different buildings, then a sports game event comes up, so so they are decorated in the different colours rival students can fight each other. Or you can create a fully remote university which offers like every course and is cheap, but doesn't have the networking benefits of the elite one. And the university with no grade requirements but has five bars on campus and has tons of networking opportunities because of it. You could even convert every world into a different type of university and just play that if you wanted!

This would be a total game changer! I'm all for customization tools especially since I don't play with mods.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Education careers (active and rabbit holes)
    Go to school with kids, teens, and uni students
    Bunk beds and wall/murphy beds
    Actual apartment living
    Actual roommates
    Banking system
    I don't care about following kids/teens to school. Too boring and no game play value. It would be like watching paint dry.
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I don't care about following kids/teens to school. Too boring and no game play value. It would be like watching paint dry.

I see a lot of ppl say that. Have you (and I mean a generalised ‘you’) played Zerbu’s Go to School mod? You can follow kids and teens to school, where they do stuff all day just like in the active GTW careers. Or you can do something else with them, of course, of skipping class and hanging out in the schoolyard fits your sim better.

Anyway, I find it great fun! I would be thrilled if they made University/ Get Educated like that.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • jacechujacechu Posts: 87 Member
    University has an opportunity to add a fair amount to the game if done right. We already have so much "young adult party life", and we even have ways to skill up and jump ahead in your career before you even age up to a YA. Even on a normal lifespan setting, I can have a child get a number of boosts and go into his teenage years ready to skill up and get enough satisfaction points to get Connected, and boom, I've got a legitimately well prepared YA sim that will have zero trouble with the job I want them to have - regardless of whether I selected personally in my mind, or randomly rolled a trait that kinda told me what the kid was gonna do itself.

Don't get me wrong. I would not hate University if it was indeed "party, skill up, jump ahead in your career, and maybe have a few new careers that are locked behind a degree". Honestly, having the opportunity for story telling, and the Sim have a nice little Diploma (wall decoration that may have a Confident aura, perhaps?) would be nice, regardless of whether or not it's only what you can already do in game. Even though "techncally a different way to do stuff you could already do" doesn't bother me as much as it does with some people, I have to wonder...can't we have options to do old things, and a few new things as well?

Example: Sure, have a bar, have a new party type. Let us skill build, earn a leg up on existing careers, and give us the pretty wall decoration and story telling opportunities. Surely that kind of stuff can't be that hard to code, right? Most of it already exists in game, does it not? Surely giving us that can't be THAT much work. So why not throw in some completely new stuff, like the ability for your rich Sims to donate to University research and improve the town itself? Or even just the local schools.

You know how the townies often spawn with Kleptomaniac or Evil traits? What if they implemented a feature that the better the world becomes, the more you can push the current roll system to favor GOOD traits for townies. And of course the way to make the world better is to donate to research which are tied to University. Throw in the charities that already exist as well to fill up that "neighborhood is getting better" meter as well. Could even help you build your Get Famous Reputation, too! I imagine that something like that WOULD take a fair bit of under the hood coding, but would require very little animations. On the surface, it would just require some phone/computer interactions, and text boxes. The biggest hurdle to a features like that is coding and making sure it all works with minimal bugs.

A teaching career would also be nice. I feel like it would be a waste to not have one, either with University or patched into base game. "A la carte" rabbithole classes (much like the ones that already exist in Freelance career, except instead of "teaching" it, you can pay to go) that exist just to raise skill quicker than you would just doing it would be great. Obviously a simple overhaul of base game elementary and high school would be cool - add in a "homeschool" option, and a paid private school option that builds skills and gives a special trait. There's so many things they COULD add with not a whole lot of external animations, object meshes, or what have you.
    Sims YouTube
    Twitter
    Gallery ID: jacechu06
    Irdiwen wrote: »

I see a lot of ppl say that. Have you (and I mean a generalised ‘you’) played Zerbu’s Go to School mod? You can follow kids and teens to school, where they do stuff all day just like in the active GTW careers. Or you can do something else with them, of course, of skipping class and hanging out in the schoolyard fits your sim better.

Anyway, I find it great fun! I would be thrilled if they made University/ Get Educated like that.

I do not play with mods or CC. But, if that mod makes following your kid/teen to school as exciting as the doctor/cop/scientist careers, then I won't be trying it anytime soon. But thanks for the info. I'm sure there are others that might like this mod.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    YA-elders can also go to University.
    Sims can still make some money.
    Follow sims to class.
    Dorms
    Sorors and Frat houses, members, and etc
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member
    I would like to see a lot of the objects like bunk beds and new party types, clubs for kids at school etc that others have mentioned.
    As well as flexible University options like online or local rabbit hole types.

But think there is also an opportunity to revamp the careers system as well.

Maybe they introduce CVs which have you grades, degrees and work experience on it and you have to apply to jobs and go for interviews like the Acting profession goes for auditions.Sims wont always get the job and if too many other sims in town have the same job then you have to wait for one of them to leave, maybe you get a call back a few days later offering you the position?

It would be cool as well if there names for different companies in the same profession and you could change jobs within the same profession level and earn more or have less hours. So one Sim who works in business will have a different company name to another.

Maybe promotions are competitive and you get a small ranking bar to see where you in your team and can stay late or work harder to move up to be first in line to be promoted?

Different Companies in the same career track will have different pros and cons. One might have better hours but pays less, another better pay but longer hours, maybe one is easier for promotions but you have a mean boss.

Then for University degrees, Sims cannot reach the Higher levels of careers without degrees, instead of getting a jump in the start of careers.
    That way it is more realistic and some Sims will choose to go back to school to be promoted further in their career.

I think it would be fun to have a Sim fresh out of Uni struggle to find work a little because they have less experience and then finally get a job in the Business track at Company no.1 but then become unhappy with the pay so they apply at Company no. 2 in Business track and get paid more and get promoted but then they get a call from Company number 3 offering them a promotion and better pay.

And there of course has to be a function so that everyone who doesn't want to use the system can turn it off or cheat.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Perhaps I'm too relaxed with an UNI pack to comment, but I really wish that the pack will focus on effects on careers etc after UNI, and not only on spending a couple years on campus. I want dynamics that work all over the community, that affects residents all ages, and I want to see that a sim with an UNI grad gets benefits that others don't. A band should be possible to form not only when in UNI, and some of the educational structures could even be available at home to sims other ages. Like taking classes to increase a certain skill just one level for a small cost (re TS3). It could be rabbit holes, and would take a minimum of EA efforts programming, but would make UNI pack features a bit broader than aiming for just a few years of sims' lives.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm hoping this pack adds more romantic interactions. Maybe it will be the pack that will give us the option for sims to finally relax on beds and spoon,kiss,makeout etc in bed.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    That's how I feel about the active careers for adults but I actually think school for kids and teens could be fun if they spent time on a system to let players decide what goes on and do not force check list. Why should adults be the only Sims that can be followed and played the entire day?
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    That's how I feel about the active careers for adults but I actually think school for kids and teens could be fun if they spent time on a system to let players decide what goes on and do not force check list. Why should adults be the only Sims that can be followed and played the entire day?

Without some type of check list, how would you know what to do and when? School IRL is very regimented and there is a flow. How would someone who's ignorant like me, know what to do when or how often or for how long? Just walk your sim around the lot, clicking on things to see if a menu pops up? What if you do it wrong or in the wrong order? How would you know? How could you tell when new opportunities opened up to level up? How would you know that the time limit to do a thing timed out before you could complete it?

If there is going to be some type of school for us to follow our sims to, I don't see how it would work without a check list. Every teacher has a lesson plan to follow.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member

Without some type of check list, how would you know what to do and when? School IRL is very regimented and there is a flow. How would someone who's ignorant like me, know what to do when or how often or for how long? Just walk your sim around the lot, clicking on things to see if a menu pops up? What if you do it wrong or in the wrong order? How would you know? How could you tell when new opportunities opened up to level up? How would you know that the time limit to do a thing timed out before you could complete it?

If there is going to be some type of school for us to follow our sims to, I don't see how it would work without a check list. Every teacher has a lesson plan to follow.

Could work like adult sim careers do. There is a list of tasks to do. Even the Acting career has this when you go to the Plumbob Studios to film something. In the long run it gets repeatative, but with UNI I assume students can choose different studies/classes and adding their personality might make it feel more varied.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    TS2-style dorms and roommates.

Could work like adult sim careers do. There is a list of tasks to do. Even the Acting career has this when you go to the Plumbob Studios to film something. In the long run it gets repeatative, but with UNI I assume students can choose different studies/classes and adding their personality might make it feel more varied.

In the Uni pack, it would be fine with me if classes (as in the past) were rabbit hole classes (which, let's face it, they probably will be). So if my Uni students don't get a real classroom session, why should kids and teens.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    slow dance
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited October 2019
    taydev wrote: »
    Banking system

Yesss! University would be the perfect pack to introduce a banking system
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

I don't find check list to be fun not a fan of being forced to do certain activities in order and when its over you're done much like the acting career. I see you like them but I prefer to play how I want with total control so I'd prefer a system where I could pick the classes my Sims take be it drama P.E science history and so on and more so have the option to do what I want. Being able to click the chalk board to select options like take a test, give presentation, follow teachers lesson instead of being told what I have to complete and in what order maybe my student wants to goof around and get in trouble all my choice. At worst some checklist could be added for something like Sim must complete 2/3 classes but not force the game play you have to do in them or student gets in trouble must see principle but nothing that completely takes choice out of how you play.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    I'd love to see
    Learning groups, roommates, lots of more party types, murphy and bunk beds, lots of second hand style furniture and alternative clothing, hacky sacks and throwing footballs, pranks, open mic nights, pantomimes, crazy science class equipment, buildable appartment/dorm houses.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.

I don't find check list to be fun not a fan of being forced to do certain activities in order and when its over you're done much like the acting career. I see you like them but I prefer to play how I want with total control so I'd prefer a system where I could pick the classes my Sims take be it drama P.E science history and so on and more so have the option to do what I want. Being able to click the chalk board to select options like take a test, give presentation, follow teachers lesson instead of being told what I have to complete and in what order maybe my student wants to goof around and get in trouble all my choice. At worst some checklist could be added for something like Sim must complete 2/3 classes but not force the game play you have to do in them or student gets in trouble must see principle but nothing that completely takes choice out of how you play.

As in the GTW jobs, you can certainly ignore the list and goof off all you want and the list provides choices, not a do #1, then do #2, then do #3, etc. As a player, you are free to ignore the list and play any way you want, But without the list, as player, I might miss the best parts of the pack. So, IMO, it's better to have it for those that want it and it can always be ignored for those that don't.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Although this is not a must have pack for me and I’m not too fussed about it. However if it has pool/snooker tables, bunk beds, shower woohoo and the option to get “dazed” from bar drinks like the island living kava and city living bubble blower (i see little difference between all 3 options) along with decent build buy/cas items it would be a pack I would look at getting.