Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to learn potion recipes and spells faster?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hello, I actually got some bugs in game, so I saved my wizard sims in library and moved them into a new game. When I opened them in a new game, my virtuoso wizards lost all spells and potion recipes. I really don't want to start learning spells and potion recipes all over again. Also they have their own careers to study as well. Is there a faster way to get them back without cheats? Weird thing is that they still can 'transportalate' to everywhere even though the spell is shown as not learned in their spell book. I appreciate all helps, Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Only way I can think of is to take 1-2 sim days and practice magic as much as possible/experiment on the cauldron. Every report I've seen of people who've powered through ROM says they learned most - if not all - their magic this way. (I personally haven't found this method to be particularly more effective than asking the Sages daily, but I also don't use the Needs Potion like water either.)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    For the potion recipes, finally, I learned all of them. I asked the potion recipes to Sages, then asked to do the magic dual for artifacts, then I could be able to re ask the potion recipes. I repeated until learning all recipes. it's much more faster than doing experiments in the cauldron. It was great but I didn't get the question about the spell with them. Maybe asking the spells is allowed only once a day.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Only way I can think of is to take 1-2 sim days and practice magic as much as possible/experiment on the cauldron. Every report I've seen of people who've powered through ROM says they learned most - if not all - their magic this way. (I personally haven't found this method to be particularly more effective than asking the Sages daily, but I also don't use the Needs Potion like water either.)

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Each Sage will teach one spell from their school, and one potion, per in-game day*. The real trick is advancing in Spellcaster ranks, but casting, brewing, using potions, and dueling all contribute. You learn faster practicing with a Sage (using the Ask for Magical Training interaction) than practicing alone.

Sages will only teach you spells up to your caster level although, loading screen tip to the contrary, the final spell in each school is available at Master, rather than Virtuoso. You can also find spell and potion Tomes searching the bookcases at HQ, as well as at the shop.

What I have yet to complete, because I have been switching among saves, is unlocking all Talents. That's a lot of over-levelling, and can conceivably keep my Spellcaster busy for a loooong time.

*You seem to have found a potions loophole. As far as I know, there is no similar work-around for spells.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Each Sage will teach one spell from their school, and one potion, per in-game day*. The real trick is advancing in Spellcaster ranks, but casting, brewing, using potions, and dueling all contribute. You learn faster practicing with a Sage (using the Ask for Magical Training interaction) than practicing alone.

Sages will only teach you spells up to your caster level although, loading screen tip to the contrary, the final spell in each school is available at Master, rather than Virtuoso. You can also find spell and potion Tomes searching the bookcases at HQ, as well as at the shop.

What I have yet to complete, because I have been switching among saves, is unlocking all Talents. That's a lot of over-levelling, and can conceivably keep my Spellcaster busy for a loooong time.

*You seem to have found a potions loophole. As far as I know, there is no similar work-around for spells.

Yeah you're right. it is the best way of taking the training from Sages for leveling up. My issue is my wizard sims are already virtuoso but they lost all spells and recipes and I didn't want learn them all over again. For potion recipes, as my sims are already on top level, so 'asking potion recipes' interaction showed up on Sages every 5 minutes which is great! :)
    Yeah I think there's only one way to get all spells back without cheat that my sims just practice spells everyday and visit the magic land for asking to Sages. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Sadly the fastest way is thru mods.
  • Options
    Sadly the fastest way is thru mods.

wow do you know what mod makes it fast?

• Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone's put up a room with all the tomes in it on the gallery already. (I have most, but not all of them, so far.) Not sure how long studying each one would take, but it's at least a predictable amount of time, as opposed to experimenting, which is more random.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    What's the best mood for spellcasters? I've got one Sim with the 'genius' trait and one with the 'creative' trait, so they're normally focused or inspired, unless a spell or potion has been made successfully, in which case, they're confident.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    What's the best mood for spellcasters? I've got one Sim with the 'genius' trait and one with the 'creative' trait, so they're normally focused or inspired, unless a spell or potion has been made successfully, in which case, they're confident.
    I don't think there's any specific mood for the spells and potions. It depends on the perks.

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Hold down the shift button, click on sim. A menu will come up, click on magic, another menu will come up.
  • Options
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Hold down the shift button, click on sim. A menu will come up, click on magic, another menu will come up.

No I don't have 'magic' menu on my wizard sim with the shift key on.

• Options
    Moon_WillowMoon_Willow Posts: 732 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Did you have testingcheats turned on?
    tsNVdyA.png
    Gallery ID: Truet318, check out my latest builds on the gallery.

The Road goes ever on and on And I must follow, if I can,
    Until it joins some larger way,
    Where many paths and errands meet.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Did you have testingcheats turned on?

Yes I can see all public images cheat, Cheat needs, modify in cas and bowling cheats as well but don't see any magic menu.

• Options
    SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    Here are a few things I can think of

1. If you have Get Together, add spellcasters and sages to a club. Then you can randomly gather at your home, duel, ask for spells/potions, etc. 2. Try searching the gallery for a room with all of the books/tomes. Then you can read from home.
    3. Put another Sim in the household and give them some death flowers. The Sim you want to advance quick - you can let them practice/perform as much magic as you want without fear of death bc there's always a Sim there with a Death Flower to revive in case things to bad
  • Options
    SomeChick1 wrote: »
    Here are a few things I can think of

1. If you have Get Together, add spellcasters and sages to a club. Then you can randomly gather at your home, duel, ask for spells/potions, etc. 2. Try searching the gallery for a room with all of the books/tomes. Then you can read from home.
    3. Put another Sim in the household and give them some death flowers. The Sim you want to advance quick - you can let them practice/perform as much magic as you want without fear of death bc there's always a Sim there with a Death Flower to revive in case things to bad

Sorry I noticed your suggestion just now. Not sure about the 3 but I can try the 1 and 2. Thanks :)