Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is so Interesting About a Farming Pack?

**DISCLAIMER** Please do not take this thread as me trying to be rude to people who want a Farming pack. I'm just wondering why people find something interesting.

But seriously, what? Farming? I understand that a lot of you want new hobbies that might come with it, like sewing and nectar making. I can understand sewing- but nectar making? What's so fun about your sims jumping barefoot on grapes? And horses, I can also understand, as I can see why having more pets would be fun. Cats and Dogs is great, so I expect Horses would be too. But... I don't know how exciting sheep, cows, pigs, and chickens can be. And growing crops sounds so boring, again. Most of the aspects that people say they want in a farming pack (that I have seen), seem so ridiculously boring to me that I can't understand why on earth anyone would want it!

So please. Explain to me, why you think a Farming pack would be fun.
funny-gifs20.gif

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited September 2019
    Ooh never thought about sewing, that'd be cool. Mostly I want to grow a bunch of crops and have some farm type build mode stuff. Being able to milk a cow would be cool too, but the crops are what I want most and hopefully a big farmer's market to sell them. Like a big gardening expansion haha! Also some more prairie style clothing would be cute I think. Hopefully chores for kids and teens as well. And I doubt it would happen, but where I live a lot of farmer's kids are homeschooled and I'm really hoping they add homeschooling one day so perhaps it could fit into this pack lol. My own daughter is homeschooled, we don't live on a farm though, but would be nice to be able to play what is familiar to us school wise :)

Everyone has a diff playstyle. For me I find things like the City Living boring (though I like some of the CAS items and the food stalls) and the idea of a university pack boring, but a lot of people like that. And while I like the Cats & Dogs pack, the actual cats and dog pets are boring to me. I have no interest in them when I put them in my families so I usually don't lol. I prefer to fill my 8 household spots with a parent and maybe a baby or 2, three tots and a couple kids lol. So having a nice big farm for them to run around and play on would be a lot of fun :D
  • atrainoratrainor Posts: 29 Member
    I enjoy having lots of lifestyle options for my sims, so something that takes me out of the urban/suburban worlds that are currently well represented would be welcome. In the Sims 3, I loved nectar making because of how the bottles appreciated in value. I would pass down bottles through the generations - it was fun to watch the value increase!
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Farming gameplay as such isn't a big draw for me, honestly, not for my current saves (okay, maybe one of them). But even so, having the option of that kinda play - living off the land, supplying more ingredients than we already have to meals, having an even wider variety of harvestables, being able to have some automation to gardening, having more animals to care for and interact with, the hobbies that come with farms: dairy products, nectar, crops - is intriguing at least.

For me, the biggest draw of a farming pack would be build/buy. New roofing, barns, landscaping, wooden fences, beds with quilted covers, a well, furniture that looks handmade (and the possibility of more stuff to do on the woodworking table). I know we already have a lot of that kinda stuff and I have built what passes for a farm lot, but more is always better.

Also, my Sims are rarely straying off their lots, which makes the farm gameplay quite welcome, honestly. Having everything you need to live within one space: awesome.

If we are getting a farming pack at some point, I"d also love a farmers market where Sims can sell things they've harvested (in bundles, rather than piece by piece) or produced (dairy products, jams/preserves, nectar), maybe even crafted items from possible new hobbies like weaving or yarn-spinning or similar. There aren't all that many hobbies or skills that produce things (we have painting, woodworking, writing, instruments) to sell, so a farm pack seems like a good way to expand that.

For some people farms are a draw because it's different to what they know - if they've lived in an urban or suburban area all their lives, farms can seem fascinating. For others it's the grind of keeping everything functional and alive. For some who grew up in a rural area or farmland, it's being able to recreate their own experiences in the game.

Also, it's not something that's been done before as a standalone pack, I believe. There were some things in previous games but this would be a theme that's shiny and new, which is great.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I'm following because I'm curious too. I mean, maybe I'm just too much of a city kid, but I don't find anything interesting enough about farm life to want to replicate it in a game. With the possible exception of County Fairs, because those are fun, but they'd have to be done right.

And before anyone suggests I don't know what farming is like - my mom had horses (and a ton of debt) and my aunt lives in a town with a population half that of my graduating class. I spent many a summer just east of nowheresville in the midwest, where you can drive for miles and see nothing but alternating corn fields and dairy farms.
  • ShiarenShiaren Posts: 16 Member
    Well, for one, it expands gameplay possibilities for those of us who enjoy historical play or less modern/city lifestyle (which I also enjoy but there's a lot of that available already). Farming, nectar-making, livestock offer new livelihoods and new things to do, which also expand current features like the possibility to sell things like in GTW or CL, though one would hope that they'd add something like a country fair where you could accomplish the same thing.

Why are cats and dogs (and by extension, horses, though I'd like to have them too) somehow more exciting than sheep, chicken, cows and pigs? If horses are done as they were in Sims 3 you would at least get relatively in-depth training and competitions and riding, but there's barely anything you can do with cats and dogs. With sheep, cows and chicken you could at least get produce out of them that you could (hopefully) also make further use of or process into something else.

If it's done right, it would just expand the gameplay possibilities a lot and that's what for me makes Sims such an awesome series, giving options to play in any way I want, even if those ways are radically different from each other. Currently some ways are lacking. It is also something that hasn't been done as a whole in the series before so it would be fun to see something a bit fresh.

Sewing or maybe knitting or some other craft like that would definitely be awesome though.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I tend to not play sims who have rabbit hole careers, as I find them boring. So any new ways to make money at home I appreciate. Growing your own crops and selling them at a farmers market would be a fun way to make money. I like nectar making or canning because that would give us another reason to garden. We can take all those fruits and veggies sitting in our inventories and make them into something else and than perhaps sell it for a larger profit.

Really in the end it comes down to providing more things for your sims to do and more story opportunities. Some want that in a university setting, others in a country/farm setting.
  • I definitely agree. The entire theme is boring.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Shiaren wrote: »
    Well, for one, it expands gameplay possibilities for those of us who enjoy historical play or less modern/city lifestyle (which I also enjoy but there's a lot of that available already). Farming, nectar-making, livestock offer new livelihoods and new things to do, which also expand current features like the possibility to sell things like in GTW or CL, though one would hope that they'd add something like a country fair where you could accomplish the same thing.

Why are cats and dogs (and by extension, horses, though I'd like to have them too) somehow more exciting than sheep, chicken, cows and pigs? If horses are done as they were in Sims 3 you would at least get relatively in-depth training and competitions and riding, but there's barely anything you can do with cats and dogs. With sheep, cows and chicken you could at least get produce out of them that you could (hopefully) also make further use of or process into something else.

If it's done right, it would just expand the gameplay possibilities a lot and that's what for me makes Sims such an awesome series, giving options to play in any way I want, even if those ways are radically different from each other. Currently some ways are lacking. It is also something that hasn't been done as a whole in the series before so it would be fun to see something a bit fresh.

Sewing or maybe knitting or some other craft like that would definitely be awesome though.

I liked the addition of cats and dogs because it made my sims lives more complete to me. I'm allergic to both in RL, so I was very happy to give my simself a dog.

funny-gifs20.gif

• kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    Farming doesn't appeal to me at all but a lot seem to want it. Just sounds very boring to me but hey I hope we get it for those that want it.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    First off, just read the first chapter of your story and I about to read the second one. Good stuff, Miriam is a cute, but I don't trust the guy. He has bad vibes.

Second,
    What's so fun about your sims jumping barefoot on grapes?
    What's so fun about your sims sitting on a couch and watching TV? Or your sims raking leaves, or doing laundry, or staring at a computer and watching things you can't really look at? Why forgo living in a house to live in a two-bedroom apartment in a crowded city? A lot of things sims do sound boring on paper, but can be fun, immersive or charming in practice. And I'd rather have that simple charm over parties and white-collar jobs.

I always liked the quiet life of rural living, so the simple things actually appeal to me. I want cozy town festivals and a strong sense of community. The festivals in City Living were fun, but these ones would be less personal and could focus on cultivating your sims' strengths. It'd be great to have livestock competition, baking contests, crop judging, or just bonding with the community. I'm looking at the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons holidays and imaging how well they would fit in with The Sims.

Nectar-making would be a great, unique way to make a living without having a proper job. But my main interest lies in having more animals, because I'm a major animal lover and love raising them. It's a shame that for the past 20 years, The Sims has neglected animals outside of cats, dogs and rodents, with small forays into horses and dragons.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited September 2019
    [/quote}What's so fun about your sims sitting on a couch and watching TV? Or your sims raking leaves, or doing laundry, or staring at a computer and watching things you can't really look at? Why forgo living in a house to live in a two-bedroom apartment in a crowded city? A lot of things sims do sound boring on paper, but can be fun, immersive or charming in practice. And I'd rather have that simple charm over parties and white-collar jobs.

I always liked the quiet life of rural living, so the simple things actually appeal to me. I want cozy town festivals and a strong sense of community. The festivals in City Living were fun, but these ones would be less personal and could focus on cultivating your sims' strengths. It'd be great to have livestock competition, baking contests, crop judging, or just bonding with the community. I'm looking at the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons holidays and imaging how well they would fit in with The Sims.

Nectar-making would be a great, unique way to make a living without having a proper job. But my main interest lies in having more animals, because I'm a major animal lover and love raising them. It's a shame that for the past 20 years, The Sims has neglected animals outside of cats, dogs and rodents, with small forays into horses and dragons.
    [/quote]

This 100%.

I also want to see the Sims represent some of the backbone of our civilization. Where do city folk think their food comes from before the shelves in the grocery store?
    Personally, I want my Sims to play away from so much of the technology that we've become too dependent on. I want representation for the lifestyle that I have been exposed to growing up. We need the option to be able to get back to basics.

*Argh! Tried to shorten the quote, but screwed it up. :s

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    It's definitely not my cup of tea and seems really boring to me; but if I can finally get some features back, then they can make any pack.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Before June, I would have said that farming at least could least add more for sims more ages than just young adult, but I said the same about Island Living they screwed that up making it yet another young adult pack. :/

That said, I'd still appreciate a farming pack since at least it shouldn't include social media/Simstagrams, technology focused careers, fashion, influencing, and all this other modern day young adult focused stuff that we've gotten so much of recently.
  • AuronoiChieftainAuronoiChieftain Posts: 362 Member
    I'd be interested in a farming/Horses pack if they include an Overhaul of the Off the Grid System (including items and objects that enable Functional utilities off the grid).
  • domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    I really want a farming pack for some of the reasons mentioned above, but I would really love a pack that focuses on an off the grid lifestyle. A farming pack could be perfect for for that. I also love the idea of adding a county fair where Sims could compete in baking contests, buy top quality produce, show their farm animals, etc. I think there's quite a lot of gameplay possibilities, and I haven't even mentioned gardening expansion, hobbies and animal husbandry.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    First off, just read the first chapter of your story and I about to read the second one. Good stuff, Miriam is a cute, but I don't trust the guy. He has bad vibes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anyways, on the note of this thread, thank you all for your opinions. I still find it boring, but at least I understand why others want it.

funny-gifs20.gif

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I really don't care for a farming concept either, as far as crops and canning is concerned. But I do like the idea of being able to have Sims live independent of technology and modernization. I wouldn't mind a creepy corn maze that Sims could get lost in, though. And I'd like to have a petting zoo where Sims could bring their children and toddlers. Normally I'm not a big family player but I do love animals and something like that would get my attention.
    #Team Occult
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I would love a farming pack for the rural feel: taking care of animals, harvesting, new produce to create... Also, I’d like more off the grid.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hmm... just some hopes and dreams here.

• Off-the-grid possibilities
    • Some light gardening stuff for kids or toddlers. I would like children to be able to water and both of the should be able to raid the strawberry-bush.
    • A world that perhaps suits historical play
    • All my sims garden, they have pots in their apartments in San Myshuno. This is useful for all my sims
    • I would like my sim in Sulani to be able to raise chickens and sell eggs
    • Have recipes updated to use eggs and more produce. That would make gameplay more fun for me
    • I love Sulani, Granite Falls, Jungle Adventure, Glimmerbrook. We might not get that kind of world but maybe.
    • Maybe an outfit or two that suits my elders. They have so few options that does not have super-cleavage or bare stomach
    • I love occult sims so they will invade the countryside and make it magical.
    • Would be happy to see some small pack-interaction if you have pets and so forth. It makes the game feel like one unit and not separate parts
    • Hmm for me farming is not tech-adverse. It would be cool to be able to have a high-tech-farm making use of machinery to make more crops. As long as I don’t have sell them one apple at the time! I can play a little sim growing crops pretty well as it is, this would just enhance it. If I could do it high-tech too it would be a very fun option.

This could be a bonus for many of the things I love in the sims. A vampire archeologist that lives in the woods but goes into the city every now and then to sing karaoke. I use most packs just in varying degrees and have most fun when I mix them.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited September 2019
    I thought nectar making was fun. The animation was cute, and I liked gardening a lot. Travelling to the other worlds to get the fruits was fun, too. It's more fun to me than having a sim stand at a bar and make drinks. Keeping the bottles in the nectar racks and picking which blend to drink was nice as was mixing different ingredients and seeing which ones mixed well and which ones didn't (although I did use Carl's site to cheat and see which ones made really good blends).

I'm not sure that Sims 4 would include it in a farming pack, but it would be nice if they did. I also loved horses in Sims 3, so if they added horses to a farming pack it would be great (don't know if they would). Canning and preserve making would be fun for me, too. I like craft-like things in these games. Sewing would be awesome.

I want a farming pack because I think the world would be nice and more opportunities for different game play is needed, I think. I'd really just like to see what the Sims 4 developers come up with for ideas. I'm sure they'd come up with some new ideas and hopefully incorporate some older ideas that are missing right now from the game.

Edit: And I really like SilentKitty's idea about kids raiding the strawberry bush - that would be adorable! Also I liked the cows and chickens from the Sims 3 store. I know they were just objects you interacted with, but they were a bunch of fun for me.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • TistouTistou Posts: 72 Member
    I'm entirely uninterested in the animal part.

The other parts could be integrated with other packs. In The Sims 1 our sims could stomp on grapes without a farming pack. And we already have gardening in the base game (which I love!). I would love a farmers market though, and the ability to make food items with your crop - food items that aren't available unless you have the ingredients.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm not particularly interested in a 'farming' pack so much as the possibilities: new hobbies, new plants to grow and the ability to collect eggs, milk and wool from animals. If they combined it with an off-the-grid upgrade, even more so.

I'm more interested in playing retro storylines than futuristic ones. I'm not a technophobe - I don't mind most of the techno stuff in the game, but it would be nice to have other options for Sims living in the days before cell phones and computers. And as noted by @darrenfroggy , the potential build-buy could be fantastic. Even if I don't want to do a retro storyline, I can think of a lot of things they could include in a farm pack that would round out my Sims' houses and day-to-day lives nicely.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I actually like both city and country themes so I'd like to balance it out by adding in a farming/rural world. Someone said that they like adding lots of different playstyles and so that's part of it for me.

I have experience with horse riding and farms. I guess it's just something I relate to and find to be fun. I know there are other games out there but I'd like to see this in TS4. TS3 had Appaloosa Plains and a very involved approach to riding that I enjoyed. I'd just like the resulting world and to have the new gameplay. Running a farm can be pretty complex and also relaxing.

I also think that sims need more to do including rural sims. I know there is already some makeshift hobby farming through gardening but there's a lot of gameplay that could be added with this type of pack.

I'm really interested in seeing some packs and themes that haven't been done before or that add something new.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    **DISCLAIMER** Please do not take this thread as me trying to be rude to people who want a Farming pack. I'm just wondering why people find something interesting.

But seriously, what? Farming? I understand that a lot of you want new hobbies that might come with it, like sewing and nectar making. I can understand sewing- but nectar making? What's so fun about your sims jumping barefoot on grapes? And horses, I can also understand, as I can see why having more pets would be fun. Cats and Dogs is great, so I expect Horses would be too. But... I don't know how exciting sheep, cows, pigs, and chickens can be. And growing crops sounds so boring, again. Most of the aspects that people say they want in a farming pack (that I have seen), seem so ridiculously boring to me that I can't understand why on earth anyone would want it!

So please. Explain to me, why you think a Farming pack would be fun.

Everybody has different tastes I guess.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I want the chocolate milk cow from The Sims 3 back 😂
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.