Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating a Dog

Hi All...

I am trying to find information on the processes to create an animal in The Sims 3.

There seems to be nothing found on this topic using an overly commercialized and profit-oriented internet search engine like Google - maybe it was on page 1,232,521 - I don't know.

I'm not meaning selecting body styles, coat patterns, and the like in Create-A-Pet (CAS) - I mean creating the entire Dog. The Base AB, Coat pattern, and all the 4 or 5 other components required to make a complete dog from SCRATCH.

Creating a mesh for the game is no problem - I make clothing, accessories, large and small objects to put in the game as well as creating whole worlds. So the basic skills to do it - I have.

The problem comes in with not understanding the various "layers" of the Dog within the game/TSRW.
You can only work on one component at a time in TSRW - How many components are in making a Dog? What order (if any), or priorities for components?

I understand that a Base Mesh is needed. I can alter that mesh. But, when other pieces of the various packages to create the entire animal are combined - it gets weird - distorted - or doesn't show at all. I also see that there is a head mesh, ear, tail, back, belly, etc. I seem to be missing the understanding of which came first - the chicken or the egg.

Does someone have a breakdown of how this animal is assembled and which "layers" (components) and in what order?
I need an explanation on how the dogs are created and put together. I'm pretty sure it follows suite for the other animals as well.

Comments

• Dr_NonsequiturDr_Nonsequitur Posts: 77 Member
    edited September 2019
    I have the dog base mesh with groups 0-6 for the parts of the dog, the ears, and tail - modifying the mesh is not the problem.

I haven't found a way to put the mesh into play - only the window dressing. I have hot found where to replace the mesh as yet.

I know it is a "Sim" character. I also see that it is handled quite differently than Human characters.
    Can someone point me to a tutorial or FAQ on creating a Dog Sim from mesh and how to get it into game?
    Post edited by Dr_Nonsequitur on
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    Not sure if this will be helpful at all..but here it is -
    http://modthesims.info/t/411795