Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it worth buying ROM?!

124...Next

Comments

• alex_alex09alex_alex09 Posts: 188 Member
    I don’t get paid till Friday, but I’m still undecided on whether I want the pack as I keep hearing mixed reviews
    I’d love to hear any feedback what I really also want to know is it a pack that I’m going to play with for an hour and never have use again or will it keep me entertained ?

Any replies would be appreciated

I feel like once you cast all the spells it will get boring, the worlds are tiny, no new venue, no new interactive objects besides the magic related ones, very few new outfits. The spells are inferior to the ones in Makin' Magic which is a disappointment.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »
    So yea, I would like to see some gameplay videos showing how people are experiencing everything so quickly in respect to long-term gameplay. (not short-term.... lets play to death, conquer, and complete just this new DLC neighborhoood as quickly as possible so I can label it as no good and overpriced, etc, etc.)

what difference does it make though

All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play. People should therefore be expected to have an opinion that revolves around their own playstyle. There's nothing wrong with that. Going through the content quickly or slowly does nothing to affect "replayability" as some call it. Holding yourself back doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find the experience any more enjoyable by the time you finish than someone that rushed through it.

When I get a new pack, I do like to blast through in the first few days. I like to know all the little details and intricacies, and when they add new systems to the game, I like to know how difficult they are or what sort of time-frame is required to progress through them. Then I take what I've discovered and keep it in mind when I'm replaying the content in the future. I do this with pretty much every pack, yet there are still features that I could say I have not grown bored of yet as well as ones that I could say I have. It's completely irrelevant.

Creating a new profile just to conquer and complete a new DLC neighborhood in under 2 hours, is not my definition of "gameplay", let alone valid. And such feedback based on a lack of testing against long-term profiles is misleading for those looking for an honest opinion as to whether or not this pack (or any other) is worth the money vs gameplay value.

Ehh... how can a way of playing not be valid? :|

I have been on forums for a wide range of things and whenever the topic of the “true” or valid way of doing something comes up it is most often someone else doing the not-valid-thing. Odd thing that.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Totally worth it. For twenty dollars? Most definitely. For me, I'd have spent more if it meant having all of this magic and those two worlds in my game. I honestly feel like there's more in this pack than in Island Living, an EP, which felt like a Game Pack. Much like Vampires, I feel that Realm of Magic adds a lot of flexible gameplay that allows the player to use the way they want, which is exactly what I had hoped for. And, although there are definitely spells and abilities that I would have liked to see that aren't in here, I still think that what is offered is excellent. The magic system allows the player to pace their own progress and offers different options to advancing. There are places to purchase a variety of tools and ingredients if you want a quick start, but if you want to work more for your items, you can search, harvest, or duel to earn them. You can practice magic on your own or go to the Sages to ask to be granted new spells. Meanwhile, if you don't keep track of your casting, you can get cursed, and if your potions fail, you can make hexed versions and still get cursed. :D It's awesome.

There are definitely some bugs going on though, so waiting to purchase right now might not be so bad. I don't have the crashing issue, but I do have some annoyances that I hope get patched soon. They're not game breaking, but they are a little annoying. I've reported in AHQ so now I just have to wait.
    #Team Occult
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    Outside of the bugs, the spellcasting and magic is absolutely worth it. I am loving the ability to plant some seeds and be able to water and take care of the plants with a wave of my sims’ hands, and I’m testing it with the 100 baby challenge (although may stop at 50 😂) which adds another fun and interesting element to it!

Trying to get the fill needs potion done before your pregnant sim crashes is stressful, and then... you get cursed! 😭 ah well.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Totally worth it. For twenty dollars? Most definitely. For me, I'd have spent more if it meant having all of this magic and those two worlds in my game. I honestly feel like there's more in this pack than in Island Living, an EP, which felt like a Game Pack. Much like Vampires, I feel that Realm of Magic adds a lot of flexible gameplay that allows the player to use the way they want, which is exactly what I had hoped for. And, although there are definitely spells and abilities that I would have liked to see that aren't in here, I still think that what is offered is excellent. The magic system allows the player to pace their own progress and offers different options to advancing. There are places to purchase a variety of tools and ingredients if you want a quick start, but if you want to work more for your items, you can search, harvest, or duel to earn them. You can practice magic on your own or go to the Sages to ask to be granted new spells. Meanwhile, if you don't keep track of your casting, you can get cursed, and if your potions fail, you can make hexed versions and still get cursed. :D It's awesome.

There are definitely some bugs going on though, so waiting to purchase right now might not be so bad. I don't have the crashing issue, but I do have some annoyances that I hope get patched soon. They're not game breaking, but they are a little annoying. I've reported in AHQ so now I just have to wait.

100% agreed on RoM vs IL. For the fact that we have what we have in RoM, I'm looking at IL with a lot of additional question marks xD
    I am loving Realm of Magic. For me it has been a great addition and I am slowly incorporating it into my main save. Just so happy every time I play.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited September 2019
    So yea, I would like to see some gameplay videos showing how people are experiencing everything so quickly in respect to long-term gameplay. (not short-term.... lets play to death, conquer, and complete just this new DLC neighborhoood as quickly as possible so I can label it as no good and overpriced, etc, etc.)

All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play. People should therefore be expected to have an opinion that revolves around their own playstyle. There's nothing wrong with that. Going through the content quickly or slowly does nothing to affect "replayability" as some call it. Holding yourself back doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find the experience any more enjoyable by the time you finish than someone that rushed through it.

When I get a new pack, I do like to blast through in the first few days. I like to know all the little details and intricacies, and when they add new systems to the game, I like to know how difficult they are or what sort of time-frame is required to progress through them. Then I take what I've discovered and keep it in mind when I'm replaying the content in the future. I do this with pretty much every pack, yet there are still features that I could say I have not grown bored of yet as well as ones that I could say I have. It's completely irrelevant.

Creating a new profile just to conquer and complete a new DLC neighborhood in under 2 hours, is not my definition of "gameplay", let alone valid. And such feedback based on a lack of testing against long-term profiles is misleading for those looking for an honest opinion as to whether or not this pack (or any other) is worth the money vs gameplay value.

I have been on forums for a wide range of things and whenever the topic of the “true” or valid way of doing something comes up it is most often someone else doing the not-valid-thing. Odd thing that.

It's not particular gameplay styles that i'm suggesting is not valid, its particular opinions formed from those such play styles that I adding a label to. Also, the word "valid" isn't the right word to use here as it doesn't properly represent the argument. The better word to use is "creditable"

I consider opinions born from people - who ram their way through packs on release day - "less creditable" ..... than those opinions from people who take their time, and measure the packs value against features from other packs as well.

Sure, on release day someone can hammer on the new packs features and accuse the pack of being small and empty. Their gameplay is valid. But if i'm looking for feedback on whether the pack is worth buying their opinion of the pack is less creditable.

I have read posts claiming to have done everything or seen everything the pack has to offer in just a few hours. So I click into the game and expect to accomplish the same thing. But I can't. Why not? Because i'm playing the game using multiple features from multiple packs, I have far less time in my game to visit and hammer on the new pack's features. My sims have to run a house, go to work, maintain celebrity status, and continue working on creating new royalty opportunities, etc. I can only get my sims to visit the magic realm a little here and there.

I'm not saying my gameplay is more valid than someone elses. I'm saying.... telling me that the pack can be completed in just a few hours, when I have a long list of other gameplay activities i have to also take care of ..... is misleading. I may be able to do so if I create a new profile and play the new pack to death while ignoring the rest of the game. But doing that will tell me very close to nothing as to the pack's value as a whole (as an add-on to other game features). It will only tell me the pack's value as a single variable. A stand-alone.

It's not about gameplay validity. It's about pack review creditability. If I were asking the question .... is the pack worth it? I would prefer to hear from people testing the pack as a whole (against the rest of the game), not in part (as a stand-alone game level to complete).

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

It's not particular gameplay styles that i'm suggesting is not valid, its particular opinions formed from those such play styles that I adding a label to. Also, the word "valid" isn't the right word to use here as it doesn't properly represent the argument. The better word to use is "creditable"

I consider opinions born from people - who ram their way through packs on release day - "less creditable" ..... than those opinions from people who take their time, and measure the packs value against features from other packs as well.

Sure, on release day someone can hammer on the new packs features and accuse the pack of being small and empty. Their gameplay is valid. But if i'm looking for feedback on whether the pack is worth buying their opinion of the pack is less creditable.

I have read posts claiming to have done everything or seen everything the pack has to offer in just a few hours. So I click into the game and expect to accomplish the same thing. But I can't. Why not? Because i'm playing the game using multiple features from multiple packs, I have far less time in my game to visit and hammer on the new pack's features. My sims have to run a house, go to work, maintain celebrity status, and continue working on creating new royalty opportunities, etc. I can only get my sims to visit the magic realm a little here and there.

I'm not saying my gameplay is more valid than someone elses. I'm saying.... telling me that the pack can be completed in just a few hours, when I have a long list of other gameplay activities i have to also take care of ..... is misleading. I may be able to do so if I create a new profile and play the new pack to death while ignoring the rest of the game. But doing that will tell me very close to nothing as to the pack's value as a whole (as an add-on to other game features). It will only tell me the pack's value as a single variable. A stand-alone.

It's not about gameplay validity. It's about pack review creditability. If I were asking the question .... is the pack worth it. I would prefer to hear from people testing the pack as a whole (against the rest of the game), not in part (as a stand-alone game level to complete).

Then you should not use valid when describing other people's ways of playing as you did in your earlier post. If someone describes how they used the content and how they viewed it other can see how that matches their playstyle and judge accordingly. I play through content very very slowly so I look for reviewers who do the same. That does not mean that I believe that only those players should share their opinions.

You prefer to hear from people who test the pack in one specific way, good that you know what you are looking for. Perhaps people who play the game differently would like to hear from other who play the same way that they do?
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited September 2019
    @SilentKitty

I don't believe I initially labeled people's gameplay as valid or non-valid.... but rather just replied to someone elses introduction of the term. The use of the word got mixed into my posts brought to the conversation by someone else.

I'll have to check my posts to ensure that's what happened. If it were me who introduced it as part of my opinion, then I apologize for my misuse of the word, and my disrespectful accusation.
    @muzickmage If I got it wrong then sorry on my part :)
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    [/quote]

It's not about gameplay validity. It's about pack review creditability. If I were asking the question .... is the pack worth it? I would prefer to hear from people testing the pack as a whole (against the rest of the game), not in part (as a stand-alone game level to complete).

[/quote]

@muzickmage

I do like your view point i also used to play slowly and not rush trough things.

But you do know, that not everyone owns every dlc, to have little time for the actual magic just because they have to celebrate winterfest or gain a celebrity status. (There arent too many pack crossovers either).
    We are only talking about Realm of Magic + Basegame. I think its misleading to consider the gameplay pack is fantastic, because of 29 other dlcs. When you talk about the rest of the game from a review point, you should only consider the Base Game and how it expanded on that.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    It's not a terrible game pack. But it's not particuarly impressive either.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2019
    It's not a terrible game pack. But it's not particuarly impressive either.

I agree, one of my pet peeves is the amount of lots available and it is not very vast. For me it is not as exciting as it is made out to be and it may be due the limitations that affect Sims 4 in general. I got the pack cheap as I would not pay full price. :) ROM worth may be judged by what you want to get out of it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited September 2019
    I have been so busy building, that my sims haven't progressed very far in their magic.
    It is getting more interesting as situations pop up where they can apply their magic.
    I am however, disappointed that they cannot control the weather.

I had rain in Brindleton Bay for four straight days.
    I would have loved to have my sims magic the weather to clear skies.
    I had to cheat to get the weather control machine because my sims did not have the reward points to get it.

It has been worth it just from a builders perspective for me, but I am still out on the game play.
    The Magic Realm is pretty, but I wish there were more hidden things to discover and do. I find the place rather boring.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Worth every cent of the $20, to me.

I dove in with single, jobless Sims to explore the new content with, and have a couple of Virtuoso Spellcasters now who have every Spell and Potion learned. But I still have not seen all the curses, nor unlocked every perk, much less cast every spell, or brewed / drank every potion. I played intensively, and still have more to see. People who claim to have seen it all in a couple hours are exaggerating.

The real pay-off in gameplay for me, however, is that knowing how the gameplay operates, I was then able to make an informed decision as to who of my main save family ought to pursue magic as their path. This expansion was timed right to give my older Second Gen Spare direction in his YA life, a reason to move from home, a place to move to, and much better romantic prospects than his sketchy high school boyfriend.

RoM adds a great deal to the game, and intrudes itself only as much as you let it.

Whether it is worth it to you is not a thing anyone else can tell you. People like different things. Look into what the pack does and does not actually do, and choose accordingly. Wanting it to have X, buying it hoping it will have X, and being disappointed that it doesn't have X when X is nowhere promised in the promotional material is not a failure of the content, but a failure of the buyer.