Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Realm of Magic Meet Your Expectations?

Comments

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Other. (because someone will always want to choose other)
    It's exactly as bad as I thought it would be.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Realm of Magic exceeded my expectations.
    I feel everyone is trying to judge Realm against Supernatural MM and Witch content in Apartment life and feel since it didn't add literally everything from every magic expansion pack ever produced it's stupid...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic did not meet my expectations.
    I had to think a little about this. I guess RoM has partly met my expectations, but I must admit that I still have a few disappointments with it. I was very sad to learn that vampires cannot be spellcasters, but not really surprised, even if it doesn't make sense to me from a storytelling perspective. I can accept magic as a life state rather than a skill, but I was really hoping alchemy at least would be a skill that all sims/occults could learn. I was also sad to learn that toddler/child sims have once again been left out of supernatural gameplay. Just a few little toddler/child spells/cute magic animations would have been nice. I like the spells, but I wish we had more new and interesting abilities e.g. turning sims into frogs, manipulating time and weather, telekinesis etc. However, as a GP I still think RoM looks like really fun and I can't wait to play as a spellcaster. I also love the world and CAS/BB items and I especially love how the Cats & Dogs EP hasn't been forgotten with familiars.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    The obvious reason is that the game builders are too tired because they focus on other projects that aren't PC/MAC & don't pay attention to what they're doing.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    You might remember that I asked what your expectations for Realm of Magic were right after we got the reveal trailer. Well, now I'm asking if it met those expectations.

Heh... Yes it did. Which is why I didn't buy it. Seems to be a twofer this fall if the rumors of University is true. The two packs I absolutely have no interest in :smiley:
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I wish I knew if I loved it. Even with all mods updated, my Sims will not move in the Magic Realm, and are stuck for hours. Haven't been able to do ANYTHING. I love the look of the world, skill tree and Morgyn especially, but the fact that it is unplayable to me at the moment is really not helping with the first impressions.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Realm of Magic met my expectations.
    It did, unfortunately. I was hoping it would be on par with Vampires but I wasn't expecting it. I now think the depth and intricacies of Vampires was a one off thing never to be exceeded or even met again.
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    Unpopular opinion, it exceeded my own personal expectations. This might be just because of how invested I've got into my story with Spellcasters, but I think the two new world were amazing and I spent hours upon hours building with the new items.

I don't know, they seemed fleshed out enough to me for a game pack. And I've been having fun with my stories, so, idk. It wasn't as bad as Island Living for me; I played island living for like... two days before I got really bored. And i've been struggling to put down realm of magic since I got it.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    Of course not, it's empty and redundant, reusing everything that already WAS in the game long ago. Many obvious spells are missing, others have effects that seem not sufficient.
    And BUGS. Tons of them.
  • 1212play1212play Posts: 7 New Member
    Realm of magic is my favourite pack, fwi learn the remove curse from self before dueling.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I expected pretty CAS and BB, I expected a beautiful new world, I expected shallow game play, I expected bugs and glitches.

I'm having so much fun with this pack though. As long as you don't go in with high hopes, it's actually really good. For just a game pack, it does include a surprising amount new elements and items, it's just too bad they didn't use it better with their own builds.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    You might remember that I asked what your expectations for Realm of Magic were right after we got the reveal trailer. Well, now I'm asking if it met those expectations.

Heh... Yes it did. Which is why I didn't buy it. Seems to be a twofer this fall if the rumors of University is true. The two packs I absolutely have no interest in :smiley:

University is something am definitly not interested in. I guess EA is now focused on the kids because I find this whole thing juvenillish. I stopped buying the S4 packs, EPs and SPs. This is completely rediculas. Give me Sims 3 any day.

• SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited September 2019
    Faust-RSI wrote: »
    Of course not, it's empty and redundant, reusing everything that already WAS in the game long ago. Many obvious spells are missing, others have effects that seem not sufficient.
    And BUGS. Tons of them.

My opinion is pretty much the same. I think Vampires were more in-depth than magic gameplay, and the majority of the spells are just copying what you could already do from traits from the rewards store, the freeze ray from get to work, cloning from get to work, klepto trait, etc.

There's not enough spells that are genuinely unique to the game. Most are just copying stuff that already exists. The only thing that seems genuinely new is the curses.

I do enjoy playing it and plan to keep spellcasters in the bloodline of my legacy family, but it doesn't introduce enough new gameplay imo. They spent more time making the new worlds pretty instead of creating new stuff to do. It just seems like a lot of missed opportunities to me.

I also hate all the bugs. I shouldn't be playtesting and reporting things to EA after spending money on the game. That's what they hire testers for.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The pack could have been so good but I feel like there was zero love and care put into it.

We don't even have a render for the main menu, just the cover slightly animated. Every other pack had a specific render.
    Just another thing to show this pack was pushed out of the way as early as possible.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I was not impressed. The gameplay looked so empty. Since I am a "family player," my first question was "what can the child stage do for gameplay?"
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    I had really hoped that Realm of Magic was going to be an Expansion Pack, so my expectations dropped with my initial disappointment. I figured that we wouldn't be getting everything that I'd hoped for if it was a Game Pack, so I went in a little more open minded and curious to see what they did give us. And although I was a little disappointed in the CAS because it contained no long wizard beards or robes, I think the spells and potions and curses, plus the two worlds, Familiars, brooms and wands selections, added up enough to negate that. In the end I feel that it's a nice, heavy Game Pack that's very satisfying.

I still can't believe that for the same price we used to just get furniture and "stuff" in past Sims games. Game Packs are such an upgrade.
    #Team Occult
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited October 2019
    I almost feel bad for choosing this, as I am enjoying the pack.
    I am particularly happy with the build/buy objects. I've spent most of my time building with this pack.

I finally got around to playing the sims I was using to test the house.
    -The worlds are pretty, but lacking in lot variety and things to do.
    -There is no magic game play for children.
    -There should be more spells that bring something new to the game, as well as reasons to use them.
    However, I am really surprised that sims can't use magic to control the weather. They have to turn to science and use that weather machine.
    -We should have been allowed at least one community lot in the magic realm to build whatever we want there.
    -We could also have used some magic related lot traits, like a Spell casters nexus, as vampires have.
    -Alchemy should be a skill that normal sims and other life states can use, that's not so bad though because they can do herbalism instead.
    -I've read that potions have no value and can't be sold in a business. I hope that is something they fix because I do want to have a sim run a potions shop.

Besides that, I am still enjoying it.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2019
    To be honest, my expectations were not sky high, but it met them and I have had some fun with it.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Initially I felt it did meet my expectations but I've got a little bored since voting. That might be due to play the game a LOT in the past few months, so I'm taking a break for a while.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    -I've read that potions have no value and can't be sold in a business. I hope that is something they fix because I do want to have a sim run a potions shop.

I'm reasonably certain (but not positive, and I'm terrible at looking stuff up on twitter) that one of the Gurus acknowledged that it was an error or bug. Obviously not one that they covered in the hot-fix, but it's been acknowledged.

I believe there is a mod that fixes it until they do.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    With the exception of there not being any WITCH HATS (seriously, what in the name of Will Wright?!), it's on par with what I was hoping for. Mermaid-Spellercasters have been really glitchy in my experience, but I don't know if that problem was related to another mod I have or not, so I'm not going to get worked up about it.
  • aleki_Shadimealeki_Shadime Posts: 27 Member
    I was really disappointed with the lack of cross-over between the "magic" from Jungle Adventure and spell caster magic. One example would be the Zazatotl Death Relic with a common stone in it. This is the description is for that:
    The target Sim is marked with a curse that electrocutes them. One zap might not do it, but many can.

The uncomfortable moodlet on the sim states this:
    Marked for Death by Electrocution. Sim feels electricity in the air gathering around him. An electrical shock in inevitable.

The dazed moodlet states this:
    Seriously Fried. That was a close call... I really shouldn't mess with any electronics for a while...

You would naturally expect that using the Zipzap spell on someone with this curse would lead to death by electrocution but no. You can zap a sim with this curse until your heart's content and there will be no negative consequences for the cursed sim other than another dazed moodlet.

I understand that there are limitation where they can't make it so you can directly murder a sim but considering this combines things from multiple packs it's not like they just handed us this feature in one pack. I'm also confused considering if these were emotion changing curses/spells then they would kill a sim. It's the same amount of clicking and control just with different outcomes.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Or rather, I should say, it did meet my expectations, and its not a bad pack, but I'm sad that we got a generic version of Harry Potter casters and not a more Celtic or even Wicca style witch/warlock. Having a watered down version of Diagon Alley makes me a little sad, but I'm glad to have magic even if its not quite what I hoped for.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I think the world and the spellcasters are both really nice and I adore all the new CAS and Build objects we got. It didn't exceed my expectations though as I think the spells are really limited compared to past games and while I knew there would be no magic for kids it rather annoyed me that they got a magic idle animation in CAS, meaning there was no reason why they couldn't have a few spells to cast. The sages being different from the trailer also was a let down. With most Sims 4 packs, I keep thinking they play it too safe. I wish we would get more quirky spells and maybe magical growing plants if you cast too many spells similar to the Sims 1. Overall it's a really good pack, but it didn't wow me.
  • Cristal_SwanCristal_Swan Posts: 234 Member
    edited October 2019
    Brinn wrote: »
    I'd say ROM partly met my expectations. We have different schools of magic, perks, Magic Realm and alchemy. That's what really matters. But there is so much more potential in this pack! No group rituals, no spells like levitation or weather control... And the alchemy system seems very imbalanced comparing to alchemy in TS3: Supernatural. A potion that immediately satisfies all your needs, on the first level and all you need is an apple from a local store?!..
    And besides, the pack feels very draft. The quality of premade buildings is awful and there are too many bugs. It's like they were going to release it on Halloween but in the middle of development, they decided to do it in September!

I agree with all of this. And a big problem for me is that they went too harry potter/fantastical beast, so I was disappointed before it even came out. I wanted rituals,seyances, rising of ghosts and zombies, ancient magic in general.

So I thought atleast the world would be cool. But nope. Even bigger disappointment. Slobby shady tiny lots and it doesn't even look as cool as granite falls for a forest. Empty and boring. I thought it should be something cooler like a dense foggy forest for the witches to gather and do rituals at night.

Yes yes yes, a million times this. It was missing the eerie and spooky factor. Where was the seyance table and old magic influence history? It should have also had a pan sized cauldron. More real life inspired witchcraft things. More challenges and incantations to crate spells? So sick of Harry Potter rubbish.