Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm starting to think it's not gonna get better.

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    Odd, lots of my Sims 2 apartments etc were not fully furnished. They often had furnished kitchens and bathroom only.

In most of my sims houses since the first game they were scantily furnished - if furnished at all except for a few of the Maxis houses. I have always had to finish furnishing houses in the game or redo as the furniture they had was often the cheapest and the sets never matched - but it was all part of the fun of making the game mine and I hardly ever saw anyone complain. So why is it a problem now if many of us never saw it a problem before and didn't complain.

I am just very curious about this - why now after all these years is it suddenly a problem and wasn't an issue before?

ETA - I do realize that Sims 3 store did a great job on all their worlds, houses, etc with furnishings and maybe that made the difference, but then Sims 3 also had color wheels and many other decorating ways that were not in the other games that brought all this to light.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Odd, lots of my Sims 2 apartments etc were not fully furnished. They often had furnished kitchens and bathroom only.

In most of my sims houses since the first game they were scantily furnished - if furnished at all except for a few of the Maxis houses. I have always had to finish furnishing houses in the game or redo as the furniture they had was often the cheapest and the sets never matched - but it was all part of the fun of making the game mine and I hardly ever saw anyone complain. So why is it a problem now if many of us never saw it a problem before and didn't complain.

I am just very curious about this - why now after all these years is it suddenly a problem and wasn't an issue before?

Because Maxis' earlier TS4 builds were nicer looking and furnished very well, with lots of clutter. Even TS3's packs, from start to finish, featured beautiful builds, with each lot furnished, too. Lately, they're blatantly not putting any effort into the lots that ship with new worlds. TS4: Strangerville, for instance, actually took a base game low residential lot from Willow Creek and changed the color scheme up a tiny bit.
    edited September 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Because Maxis' earlier TS4 builds were nicer looking and furnished very well, with lots of clutter. Even TS3's packs, from start to finish, featured beautiful builds, with each lot furnished, too. Lately, they're blatantly not putting any effort into the lots that ship with new worlds. TS4: Strangerville, for instance, actually took a base game low residential lot from Willow Creek and changed the color scheme up a tiny bit.

Well I did not have that experience with Sims 2 and owned all the packs - up until modders came out with tools like Simpe, workshops, wardrobe, etc so I could make my own maxis match furniture sets in a variety of colors - then and only then did I have plenty of matching sets and decor.

Sims 3 - of course came with it all - so yes that was a different story - and likewise the Sims 3 store came out with amazing builds - but again I did not see complaints like in Sims 4 like I suddenly see in the last couple years and outside of Sims 3 furnishings were never really Sims 1, 2, or 4's forte if you ask me. As someone who does not use cheats, mods, and cc in any developing game - I actually have over 8 gigs of CC maxis match, etc furnishings just for Sims 2 - other wise there was little for matching furniture after the game had been finished.

ETA - Just to add I still never disliked the game even over the shoddy style if the furnishing, or the lack of choices. I had fun playing a lot of rags to riches legacy games - it was easy and fun to play that way in the earlier Sims games because of the lack of good quality styles and matching furnishing - so naturally I didnot see a big problem with furniture in Sims 4. The only thing that bugged me was the lack of lots and no toddlers to be honest and not something we could even fix if we wanted to.

Still because I do love all the Sims games well I sort of found a way to still enjoy and love them even with so few lots once we got the missing toddler life stage - but furniture is not a problem in Sims 4 to me.

I do understand this is my opinion and you may not agree - I am still curious why it bothers people now when it existed before in Sims 1 and 2 and was not a problem then. That's all.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2019
    Speaking of the Stores, the fact the Venice venue came with completely empty buildings was a let down for me. That was at the end of that iteration though. Other than that I’ve never entered a house in any of the worlds ever that wasn’t fully decorated. On the contrary, it has often given me new ideas for my own houses.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2019

Well I did not have that experience with Sims 2 and owned all the packs - up until modders came out with tools like Simpe, workshops, wardrobe, etc so I could make my own maxis match furniture sets in a variety of colors - then and only then did I have plenty of matching sets and decor.

Sims 3 - of course came with it all - so yes that was a different story - and likewise the Sims 3 store came out with amazing builds - but again I did not see complaints like in Sims 4 like I suddenly see in the last couple years and outside of Sims 3 furnishings were never really Sims 1, 2, or 4's forte if you ask me. As someone who does not use cheats, mods, and cc in any developing game - I actually have over 8 gigs of CC maxis match, etc furnishings just for Sims 2 - other wise there was little for matching furniture after the game had been finished.

ETA - Just to add I still never disliked the game even over the shoddy style if the furnishing, or the lack of choices. I had fun playing a lot of rags to riches legacy games - it was easy and fun to play that way in the earlier Sims games because of the lack of good quality styles and matching furnishing - so naturally I did see a big problem with furniture in Sims 4. The only thing that bugged me was the lack of lots and no toddlers to be honest and not something we could even fix if we wanted to.

Still because I do love all the Sims games well I sort of found a way to still enjoy and love them even with so few lots once we got the missing toddler life stage - but furniture is not a problem in Sims 4 to me.

I do understand this is my opinion and you may not agree - I am still curious why it bothers people now when it existed before in Sims 1 and 2 and was not a problem then. That's all.

It's a completely valid question, I'm not at all dismissing it.

With the case of TS1 and TS2 (as I didn't mention them in my prior post) lots did not have clutter and furnishing to the scale of TS3, and especially TS4. Most houses that came with packs as late as TS2: Freetime were very basic, and today we'd consider them an absolute eyesore. An example of one from Freetime can be seen below.

UA5A79R.png

The Sims 3 really changed things, offering much more aesthetically pleasing homes with better interior design, too. The Sims 4 as well, up until recently.

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Speaking of the Stores, the fact the Venice venue came with completely empty buildings was a let down for me. That was at the end of that iteration though. Other than that I’ve never entered a house in any of the worlds ever that wasn’t fully decorated. On the contrary, it has often given me new ideas for my own houses.

I felt this way about Newcrest, personally. I'm just too used to The Sims 2's neighborhoods having rich stories with interesting premade Sims.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited September 2019

ETA - I do realize that Sims 3 store did a great job on all their worlds, houses, etc with furnishings and maybe that made the difference, but then Sims 3 also had color wheels and many other decorating ways that were not in the other games that brought all this to light.

That’s not comparable. Sims 2 apartments never came with furniture. When your sim viewed the apartment and if there was furniture in it that was just for show. Sims 2 houses only came with staples I.e kitchen counters and a bathroom because that’s realistic. In real life if you buy a house, it doesn’t come fully furnished. The sims 1 is the same. The option to buy houses and apartments started with sims 3.

Also sims 2 didn’t have the option to buy houses fully furnished or unfurnished. The sims 3 and 4 did. So if you select the option to buy a house fully furnished in sims 4 it should have everything, it should have toilets, fully working kitchens and stairs with doors at the top.

It was never an issue in the sims 2 as there was never an option to buy a house or apartment fully furnished in the first place.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Actually some of the people who incessantly complain about sims 4 don't play the other games. All the while, insisting that they are the better games. So it's silly to act like all who complain do Trashmagic

You have proof of this.People still play because they love this franchise.
    Considering I'm a variety streamer, I play other games. Honestly I think playing other games actually makes me want to see a better life Sim game. I'm totally ok with competition for the Sims 4. Honestly find there are some people who the Sims 4 is their first Sims game and generally only game they play happy with the Sims 4. Of course Simmers vary from person to person. There are somethings brought to the Sims 4 that I am happy about while there are things that other Simmers aren't happy about. Complaining isn't the problem and honestly isn't the negative thing about the Sims community. Prejudice and xenophobia is and continues to be five years later. If anything that hasn't gotten better is how Simmers hate each other even to this day. I do think the past few years have gotten better than the first couple especially since two of the leads left Maxis and honestly has provided more group interactions for the Sims rather than the corny clapping presentations we used to get for packs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

ETA - Just to add I still never disliked the game even over the shoddy style if the furnishing, or the lack of choices. I had fun playing a lot of rags to riches legacy games - it was easy and fun to play that way in the earlier Sims games because of the lack of good quality styles and matching furnishing - so naturally I did see a big problem with furniture in Sims 4. The only thing that bugged me was the lack of lots and no toddlers to be honest and not something we could even fix if we wanted to.

I think it bothers people now for a few reasons. 1. They didn't experience 1 or 2 so they don't have that reference point. 2. The basegame TS4 and early EP's and SP's do have a lot more detail in their homes.

TS1 or 2 we didn't complain because we also didn't expect them to have more details since they didn't do it before. (I'm strictly speaking on lots, the sims themselves had pretty detailed personalities, IMO).

Origin ID: Peapod79
    Thank you everyone for your replies. It is nice to see all your answers and how as well as why these things are troublesome to many of you. I think I see much of what you all are seeing in a much better light. Thank you again for sharing. I very much appreciate it for sharing your time and thoughts.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    edited September 2019

The Twinbrook Prudence house surprised me with how bare it was. I found it sad, but didn't take or find screenshots. I'm not sure if there are others, maybe that's the exception? There's always an exception. They say the exception proves the rule. I don't know about that but personally I'd say "emptiness" isn't one of my common complaints with builds (older builds, of course - I don't have recent TS4 packs).
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
    edited September 2019

Well to be fair that last build was done by just two people - 1 animator and one artist - as everyone else had been moved or let go from the Salt Lake City studio by then. So considering how amazing that lot was out side of that I bought it and enjoyed it thoroughly filling it up with little shops, etc. That couldn't be helped because the store should have been closed already by then.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• I saw this thread a few days ago, and this is what made me decide to get this pack. I thought if they don't like it this much, I'll see for myself and then just wait for ts5. Not spend another penny on this bad game.
    But just the opposite happened. I absolutely love this game pack. I've had so much fun with it!
    And now, knowing that children born of witches will have a weak, strong & ancient bloodline, I need to buy all the stuff for kids. I never bought Parenthood or anything for toddlers or kids. Now I will. I'm going to freakin raise some kids now! WOO!
    I love ROM! My favorite pack yet :) Glad you kept and open mind and allowed your self to try a great game @RosettasStoned
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

I saw this thread a few days ago, and this is what made me decide to get this pack. I thought if they don't like it this much, I'll see for myself and then just wait for ts5. Not spend another penny on this bad game.
    But just the opposite happened. I absolutely love this game pack. I've had so much fun with it!
    And now, knowing that children born of witches will have a weak, strong & ancient bloodline, I need to buy all the stuff for kids. I never bought Parenthood or anything for toddlers or kids. Now I will. I'm going to freakin raise some kids now! WOO!
    I love ROM! My favorite pack yet :) Glad you kept and open mind and allowed your self to try a great game @RosettasStoned

I KNOW I LOVE IT TOO. I love a lot about the Sims 4 actually and how different all the neighborhoods are.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Well to be fair that last build was done by just two people - 1 animator and one artist - as everyone else had been moved or let go from the Salt Lake City studio by then. So considering how amazing that lot was out side of that I bought it and enjoyed it thoroughly filling it up with little shops, etc. That couldn't be helped because the store should have been closed already by then.
    That’s true. I got it for free (watching ads) but apart from taking a brief (disappointed) look inside and having my sim have one (disappointing) ride, I have never done anything with it.

@simmerLella I never played in Twinbrook, curious now haha.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I saw this thread a few days ago, and this is what made me decide to get this pack. I thought if they don't like it this much, I'll see for myself and then just wait for ts5. Not spend another penny on this bad game.

I KNOW I LOVE IT TOO. I love a lot about the Sims 4 actually and how different all the neighborhoods are.
    I love it three. I was always curious about zero gravity coming to the Sims and I just love to see if with the new area. Plus the concept of a world divided is extremely relative to society today. I told SimGuruNinja how much I loved it. I think my passed away Maxoid friend would have loved it too. It really hit home to the projects he worked on with Gaiaonline so it is a pleasant way to remember him by.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    Sims 2 apartments never came with furniture. When your sim viewed the apartment and if there was furniture in it that was just for show.

Sorry to put my nose on this, but I just have to mention, all TS2 apartments (maxis made) did come fully furnished. Those aren't just for show. Only thing is, you either need testingcheats on, or use a mod what does the same trick (I boot my game at debug mode, so I never need the mod), and then you can rent it furnished, one of those shift click- options.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina

The Twinbrook Prudence house surprised me with how bare it was. I found it sad, but didn't take or find screenshots. I'm not sure if there are others, maybe that's the exception? There's always an exception. They say the exception proves the rule. I don't know about that but personally I'd say "emptiness" isn't one of my common complaints with builds (older builds, of course - I don't have recent TS4 packs).
    I just visited the Prudence place. It's a bare house indeed, but it's got everything needed to run a household with two small children. The back story:

"When he was younger, this single father had an exciting career in Law Enforcement... But when his two children came along, and he became their only provider, lots of things changed. Will he be able to raise healthy children and support his family on a teacher's wage?"

This is a poor man. I love it actually when a back story corresponds with the actual situation of the sim (he hardly has any money too).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

That’s not comparable. Sims 2 apartments never came with furniture. When your sim viewed the apartment and if there was furniture in it that was just for show. Sims 2 houses only came with staples I.e kitchen counters and a bathroom because that’s realistic. In real life if you buy a house, it doesn’t come fully furnished. The sims 1 is the same. The option to buy houses and apartments started with sims 3.

Also sims 2 didn’t have the option to buy houses fully furnished or unfurnished. The sims 3 and 4 did. So if you select the option to buy a house fully furnished in sims 4 it should have everything, it should have toilets, fully working kitchens and stairs with doors at the top.

It was never an issue in the sims 2 as there was never an option to buy a house or apartment fully furnished in the first place.

Actually all Maxis apts. have furniture of some sort. It is so when townies move in and your Sim visits them you will have a place to sit and watch their TV etc. And they won't be hanging outside all day starving, but the game will make them go in and fill their needs (if it has the right type things or you may see them outside all the time trying to fill fun, and or eating etc.) But you had to use a cheat to rent fully furnished, so yes, the furniture isn't available for our Sims unless we rent it fully furnished. But you wouldn't want to visit a neighbor and have nothing in there.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sims 2 apartments never came with furniture. When your sim viewed the apartment and if there was furniture in it that was just for show.

Sorry to put my nose on this, but I just have to mention, all TS2 apartments (maxis made) did come fully furnished. Those aren't just for show. Only thing is, you either need testingcheats on, or use a mod what does the same trick (I boot my game at debug mode, so I never need the mod), and then you can rent it furnished, one of those shift click- options.

Yes but if you don’t use mods or cheats (and I don’t) you get basics like kitchen counters, maybe a fridge and a toilet and shower or bath.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Actually all Maxis apts. have furniture of some sort. It is so when townies move in and your Sim visits them you will have a place to sit and watch their TV etc. And they won't be hanging outside all day starving, but the game will make them go in and fill their needs (if it has the right type things or you may see them outside all the time trying to fill fun, and or eating etc.) But you had to use a cheat to rent fully furnished, so yes, the furniture isn't available for our Sims unless we rent it fully furnished. But you wouldn't want to visit a neighbor and have nothing in there.

Yes I agree. But I’m was referring to Writin Reg Saying that all sims 2 houses didn’t come fully furnished and people didn’t complain then. If you don’t use cheats or mods there isn’t an option to have a fully furnished home like sims 3 and 4.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm just wondering what is coming in the Patch on 3rd October which won't support older Mac OS systems. (If you didn't see the notice disable your Mac settings to not update to it). It looks like their bugs won't be sorted then. We haven't any word on The Legacy Edition so are they just going to do this with older Windows 32bit versions as well. Just tell them not to update eventually?

I'm just wondering what the Patch might contain though and why it's left those Macs behind.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what the Patch might contain though and why it's left those Macs behind.

I have explained it in depth here - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17266198/#Comment_17266198
    apple-signature.png
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    I think after 5 years most people who have been here since day 1 know the overall core of this game is not going to change. If you after all this time have not found anything to enjoy in the game I think it is a safe bet to say you won't. There have been many who where simply waiting on things to be added that they wanted or felt necessary to make the game worthwhile, like Vampires and Witches, or Seasons, but a lot of players just never found any joy in the core game play. Most of the posters on here are not hating on the game though, even if they are not playing it or buying the packs, they are hoping that their feedback will at least set up the next iteration to be something they can enjoy. I love all the Sims games, even if this one isn't my favorite I still get a great deal of enjoyment out of playing it, but it does have faults. They all do.
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    I think after 5 years most people who have been here since day 1 know the overall core of this game is not going to change. If you after all this time have not found anything to enjoy in the game I think it is a safe bet to say you won't. There have been many who where simply waiting on things to be added that they wanted or felt necessary to make the game worthwhile, like Vampires and Witches, or Seasons, but a lot of players just never found any joy in the core game play. Most of the posters on here are not hating on the game though, even if they are not playing it or buying the packs, they are hoping that their feedback will at least set up the next iteration to be something they can enjoy. I love all the Sims games, even if this one isn't my favorite I still get a great deal of enjoyment out of playing it, but it does have faults. They all do.
    Awe I adore this post. If more Simmers understood the community like you do there would be a lot more peace in it. Exactly it is not hating for wanting the franchise to be better. I like the Gurus and know they are capable of great things and honestly have displayed that with some of the packs. I just wish some more attention got done with the base game too. Yeah the future of the Sims is the most important thing and honestly if feedback isn't applied to the Sims 4, we do hope there is a better future for the Sims 5 at least. I know I want the community to grow and it won't if the franchise just stays the same. It is part of growing up is adapting to changes in our lives. No one likes change so can be harder for some to adjust, but I do acknowledge there have been some changes done in the Sims 4 to be more inclusive with a more worldwide Sims community rather than just an American simulation game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited October 2019
    Simburian wrote: »

I have explained it in depth here - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17266198/#Comment_17266198

Yes, I see that but is the 3rd October Patch just for Macs? There's no mention of taking Mods etc. out so I must assume it is not a general game patch for all of us? Or is it contained in an Origin update only?
    Post edited by Simburian on