Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Frustrated with Outdoor retreat

This discussion was created from comments split from: Outdoor Retreat is a FAIL - EA Continues To LIMIT Our Gameplay.

Comments

• Options
    INeedAVacationINeedAVacation Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2019
    Have to say, I was really disappointed with this pack. I'm not usually one to complain and, going by my username, I'd be glad of a vacation.

Unfortunately, things did not go well in Outdoor Retreat.

I booked a 7 day honeymoon for my Sims. I did not realise that if they took more than their leave allocation, it would hurt their work performance and they could get fired. I know that's how it works in reality, but I wish it had been clearer at the time of booking. The bride only had 2 vacation days and felt short changed.

To start with, my family bfought their toddler with them. I did not bring a high chair or potty. This may have been my own fault, but I was unaware that you cannot buy one once you're at the camp. I would have bought one through Build Mode, but could not access build mode. After trying for a while to care for the toddler, I was failing to meet her needs. Her food and bladder needs pretty much maxed out, I had them go home so that they could be looked after properly.

Then I was a bit confused as to what I was actually supposed to do whilst at the camp. I eventually realised that the Outdoor Enthusiast guides you through what to do.

So, after spending 20 minutes looking for the cave and another 5 minutes getting through it, I managed to find the hermit. This did not help though, as I needed to harvest unknown plants. This would have been fine, only it was winter and I was unaware that the plants would not make any fruit in winter. Sure, that is realistic, but it does mean that I was unable to get past the first stage of the aspiration. By this point I was getting quite annoyed.

I did like some of the gameplay. The camp fire songs/stories, cloud watching and tents added to my usual gameplay. They blended seamlessly with Strangerville and embelished the story there. The actually holiday was a disaster though.

I should have known camping in the middle of winter would be a bad honeymoon, but I have to say I am really frustrated at the pack right now.
  • Options
    KALIAMMAKALIAMMA Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2019

So, after spending 20 minutes looking for the cave and another 5 minutes getting through it, I managed to find the hermit. This did not help though, as I needed to harvest unknown plants. This would have been fine, only it was winter and I was unaware that the plants would not make any fruit in winter. Sure, that is realistic, but it does mean that I was unable to get past the first stage of the aspiration. By this point I was getting quite annoyed.

yea... this gardening update totally ruined everything for me. im considering downloading a mod to fix it tho. but this really s*cks. i wish there was an option to disable the seasons gardening update.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks I've split this into it's own thread as the other thread had been inactive for quite some time but I understand if you're still wishing to discuss this.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    All of the plants are available in the summer. Chamomile and Toxic Chamomile are only available in summer; the others are also available in spring and autumn. You do have to spend a couple of days there to get them to spawn and produce harvestables. (Usually - IIRC, you can get them right away from the hermit's garden, and they are already spawned but not necessarily harvestable in the rock garden in the hidden forest.)

I had more trouble getting the plants from Sixam, since they all spawn in different seasons, and it's not all that convenient to stay overnight.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I can see being frustrated with this pack if you came into the game later. You definitely could play it out differently prior to Seasons, because everything was in bloom all year.

I've had it all along and still use it but I use it differently now .. as @invisiblgirl said every plant is available in summer. Some of the plants are Spring/Summer and some are Summer/Fall. If I'm going to do the aspiration on my sims that's when I head there. It seems the plants start producing very quickly ... usually I send them in to fish while the plants have time to flower in the area I'm in. I can hit all the areas and basically have every plant type and even insect type in 3-5 days depending on my sims traits. That's after playing the pack repeatedly though and just knowing where the insects spawn.

I do like to send my sims in different seasons... even Winter, but I just know I'm not going there to pursue herbalism. It's just a vacation area then. Setting it up before hand can make it more enjoyable depending on what you might want your sims to do. Many simmers will replace some rental lots with a restaurant or spa... or whatever appeals to them.

Since toddlers were added to the game after this pack came out .. it really is up to the simmer to redo the rentals to be more family friendly prior to going. Things can be purchased at the rangers station also. If you are in a bind you can freely build on the national forest lot while on vacation.. and basically use it as a free rental (after renting a cheap one). I usually add better bathroom facilities there and since I'm cheaty that way a really comfortable bed. I even often add a computer especially to buy medicine if my sims get sick.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I can see being frustrated with this pack if you came into the game later. You definitely could play it out differently prior to Seasons, because everything was in bloom all year.

I've had it all along and still use it but I use it differently now .. as @invisiblgirl said every plant is available in summer. Some of the plants are Spring/Summer and some are Summer/Fall. If I'm going to do the aspiration on my sims that's when I head there. It seems the plants start producing very quickly ... usually I send them in to fish while the plants have time to flower in the area I'm in. I can hit all the areas and basically have every plant type and even insect type in 3-5 days depending on my sims traits. That's after playing the pack repeatedly though and just knowing where the insects spawn.

I do like to send my sims in different seasons... even Winter, but I just know I'm not going there to pursue herbalism. It's just a vacation area then. Setting it up before hand can make it more enjoyable depending on what you might want your sims to do. Many simmers will replace some rental lots with a restaurant or spa... or whatever appeals to them.

Since toddlers were added to the game after this pack came out .. it really is up to the simmer to redo the rentals to be more family friendly prior to going. Things can be purchased at the rangers station also. If you are in a bind you can freely build on the national forest lot while on vacation.. and basically use it as a free rental (after renting a cheap one). I usually add better bathroom facilities there and since I'm cheaty that way a really comfortable bed. I even often add a computer especially to buy medicine if my sims get sick.

Yes, I always edit my intended vacation lot before I go - if they're going to be camping in a tent, I add a little outhouse and shower tarp to the lot. If I've got a toddler, I add a toddler pot (you can buy one of those portable toddler beds at the ranger station, but I don't think the toddler potty is available). I think you can buy medicine by phone? Or maybe at the ranger station.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    In one of my saves I added a greenhouse solarium to the Lodge and plants grow there year round - or did anyway. I don't presently have that save in my game as it also contained Sims I planned to send to college once we get a Uni - but it did work out before okay anyway so sims could get plants year round there.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited September 2020
    _________
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited September 2019
    Have to say, I was really disappointed with this pack. I'm not usually one to complain and, going by my username, I'd be glad of a vacation.

I booked a 7 day honeymoon for my Sims. I did not realise that if they took more than their leave allocation, it would hurt their work performance and they could get fired. I know that's how it works in reality, but I wish it had been clearer at the time of booking. The bride only had 2 vacation days and felt short changed.

To start with, my family bfought their toddler with them. I did not bring a high chair or potty. This may have been my own fault, but I was unaware that you cannot buy one once you're at the camp. I would have bought one through Build Mode, but could not access build mode. After trying for a while to care for the toddler, I was failing to meet her needs. Her food and bladder needs pretty much maxed out, I had them go home so that they could be looked after properly.

Then I was a bit confused as to what I was actually supposed to do whilst at the camp. I eventually realised that the Outdoor Enthusiast guides you through what to do.

I did like some of the gameplay. The camp fire songs/stories, cloud watching and tents added to my usual gameplay. They blended seamlessly with Strangerville and embelished the story there. The actually holiday was a disaster though.

I should have known camping in the middle of winter would be a bad honeymoon, but I have to say I am really frustrated at the pack right now.
    No shade, but that's the consequences of skipping the implementation of a whole life stage. I think, in a patch update, should allow for a cheat (if not without it) to open up and unlock BB in those lots.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

I haven’t been to Granite Falls in a while but I know I have accessed build mode at the cabins before...maybe because I have MCCC and have free build mode always enabled?
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I do any editing from Manage Worlds. I agree that I'd have liked more activities but I play it as a relaxing vacation for sims drawn to that kind of thing. I haven't tried to play the aspiration with Seasons though so that's helpful. I haven't pursued the aspiration intently in general but I have sent sims there who like fishing, "hiking", cloudgazing and hanging out in a tent or cabin.

It's a vacation for a certain type of sim.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    First and worst
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I usually swing by any lot I am going to rent and make sure that it has everything I need.

Hmm.. If you go from manage worlds into Granite Falls, without loading any household, then you can access build mode.