Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 Babysitters: Yay or Nay? Let's VOTE

I have struggled to find a good babysitter in Moonlight Falls and after finding myself desperately trying to take care of my two crying newborn werewolf twins (as the babysitter stood nearby complaining about the noise) I figured this would make a good poll! Feel free to share your own sim-related babysitter nightmares and provide any tips that might help me in the process of raising two wolves :s
giphy.gif

The Sims 3 Babysitters: Yay or Nay? Let's VOTE 69 votes

Yay! - I can always rely on a babysitter in TS3 to get the job done.
27%
TEXASKITTYKATCororonApparentlyAwesomeigazormw1525mercy55funGITTE2001ZeeGeethuggishsplicerpoliceofficerswifeMidnightAuraHorrorgirl6simmerLellaHollyL73matt01SummerRoxyWaterdragonLRSSniperAlliandre 19 votes
Nay - They're so useless I'd sooner trust my child with Countess Snypes or Agnes Crumplebottom!
72%
pisceschick75Mstybl95Emily4331carlystur03Jessa_DakkarAthenaOnyxPlayerSinger2010GraceyManorEarcatyesme88dreamerz13zagboorulesMikezumiemorrillcwaddelljillbgtaydevcrockatailKarritzInfraGreen 50 votes

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited September 2019
    Nay - They're so useless I'd sooner trust my child with Countess Snypes or Agnes Crumplebottom!
    I have used babysitters in a pinch, but I make sure my toddlers' needs are met before my sims leave the house and keep the toddler busy the whole time so they need never interact. It's not so much that babysitters are useless (although I have read that they are) but that I don't allow my sims to associate with NPCs. I go so far as to change them from acquaintances to strangers using MC after they have left. I have always preferred adding an elder (usually my SS) to the household to help care for the little 'uns.

Edit to add: I also check traits and if I find the babysitter is klepto I remove the trait.
  • Greylady624Greylady624 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Most (if not all) of the babysitters I have used in any neighborhood are useless. Quite a few of them don't like children and whine when there is an unchanged diaper. Sometimes I hire the nanny, but I haven't had much luck there, either.

One nanny had an obsession with the children's slip-and-slide and didn't even take care of her own needs. She ended up wetting herself, screaming about being filthy, and returning to the slip-and-slide. Nonstop. I wondered if it was a glitch, but several adult neighbors would sneak over and do the same thing. My toddler was ignored and I fixed all of his bars so he was happy, fed, and clean. I eventually deleted the slide. Oh, and fired the nanny. Because, really. :)
    @Greylady624 I didn't know there were nannies in TS3?
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited September 2019
    Like maids, babysitters are often kleptos, as Mikezumi already mentioned. I know the one in my current SV game is one.
    I made good experiences with butlers. If your family can afford the1200 simoleons per week and has space for an extra bed, most of them are worth their money, especially if you have a larger family.
    A robonanny also works well, if you use ITF. Just don't make them sentient.
  • Greylady624Greylady624 Posts: 1,225 Member
    @Mikezumi It was a while ago that this happened, and I think it was a mod that allowed me to hire a nanny through "Services". I don't remember the name offhand, since I've switched computers since then and had to reinstall. You weren't missing much. :smiley:
    @Greylady624 That would explain it. Don't try to remember the name because I would have no need of a nanny mod in any case but thanks.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    They are the most useless service in-game.Chelsea and Darren came home to a child starving to death, stinky and lonely while the baby sitter was rubbing the dog's belly.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited September 2019
    If my sims absolutely have to have a babysitter, I use Master Controller to change the sitter's traits. I give them the nurturing and family oriented traits and remove two of their existing traits, especially the kleptomaniac trait. I also lock doors to all rooms except the ones they need to be in to take care of the baby/toddler. If there's a garden sprinkler or something else they might get distracted by, I either lock them inside the house once they're there, or move the object into the household inventory until my sims get back home. It still doesn't always guarantee my sims children will get good care, but it does make it more likely.

Also, I've noticed that if my toddler plays with the xylophone or peg box, babysitters will usually sit down to play with them. So if the sitter isn't paying attention to them, I'll make them start playing with one of those. Then when the toddler needs some kind of care, there's a better chance the sitter will take care of them promptly once they stop playing, since the teen won't already be distracted by something else.

If all else fails, I'll teleport one of my sims back home and reset the sitter so my sims don't have to pay them for not doing their job.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    I didn't pay them to watch telly at my place when my poor kiddo's drenched in their own excretion :angry:
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Babysitters are the most well thought out, kindest, gentlest, and most delightful of all the homeless NPCs. I often make residents out of them so they can have proper lives, and then the game generates more terrific babysitters for me to play with. Some of my sims have gone on to date their former sitters, once it becomes age appropriate to do so.

Igazor, you must be joking!
    :angry:

Yeah, somewhat. But I do find that doing some trait checking and either changing them around to include Nurturing and Family Oriented as @IreneSwift mentions makes them much more pleasant and attentive as service providers. Neat doesn't hurt either. And some of my resident sims have bonded with them, an effective babysitter is really fun to watch as they do enjoy taking care of the kids. But nothing beats live-in help, meaning adding a sim to the household and directing them to take care of the kids as needed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2019
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I have always preferred adding an elder (usually my SS) to the household to help care for the little 'uns.

- I'll have to keep that in mind as my family grows.

One nanny had an obsession with the children's slip-and-slide and didn't even take care of her own needs. She ended up wetting herself, screaming about being filthy, and returning to the slip-and-slide. Nonstop.

- :smiley: That's hilarious but could be frustrating with crying toddlers that need tending

@IreneSwift

- I appreciate your tips! :smile:

@igazor True, live-in help is definitely definitely going to be an option in the near future.

giphy.gif
  • HollyL73HollyL73 Posts: 1,452 Member
    I voted yay but only like them after checking their traits and changing the negative ones to more positive and child-friendly ones. I guess it's kind of like hiring a maid, they only seem to be good after a little tweaking.
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    It depends. I've never really paid attention much to them, and rarely need one. I try to remember to remove bad traits with MC... perhaps adding Nurturing would help? I'll try that...

My main Family the Montoyas is large and usually one or two of them are home so it's unnecessary.
    I'm tempted to test out that nanny mentioned above though? Could someone send me the link?
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I feel like most of my TS3 nannies are either kleptos, hate children or both :sweat_smile:
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I voted yes though my true answer is it depends. It depends on how often the family needs a sitter or if they can afford a live-in. It also depends on the sitter themselves as no two sitters are exactly alike. I don't give any importance to what traits an NPC sitter has; I haven't found the trait system to be a reliable source or indicator of personality beyond interaction abilities and idle animations.

The NPCs I have hired have all done wonderful jobs of taking care of my Sim's children. They do not neglect my children, sit and watch TV or do other 'time-filler things. They interact with my toddlers either by playing with them, reading to them or by actually holding conversations with them.

NPC Sitter holding conversation with my Toddler:
    spq0hywhch5z0gv6g.jpg
    i64o2z6ffv8o6796g.jpg

If they are watching infants or the toddlers are otherwise engaged, then they build their skill based on what is available to them in my Sim's home (guitar, chess, painting etc). Or, they call their friends and chat for a while (keeping up their social bar).

There is only one thing which I dislike about the NPC sitters and it really isn't their fault as they haven't learned differently (yet). And that is, when hungry they choose quick meals instead of choosing something from the meals that have already been prepared and left in the fridge. I always have my Sims prepare single servings of meals so any Sim can have something to eat if they get hungry while visiting.
  • SummerRoxySummerRoxy Posts: 93 Member
    edited September 2019
    I try not to leave the kids alone to avoid babysitters (money problems :p ) but for the times I did use them, I haven't had a bad experience so far. I do check their actions out like a hawk as most of them are kleptos and I'm ready to stop them if they're about to steal but so far, nothing. My sims also have lots of entertaining or skill-building stuff in the house but even if the babysitters use them, they stop their action the moment the kids needs something (even before the kids cry).

I personally think the most incompetent are the police officers, not catching the burglars right in front of them. xD
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Occasionally I get a bad one, but most of them are ok - but to be honest... I don't use them very often. There is usually either an elder or self-employed person in the home.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    If my sims absolutely have to have a babysitter, I use Master Controller to change the sitter's traits. I give them the nurturing and family oriented traits and remove two of their existing traits, especially the kleptomaniac trait. I also lock doors to all rooms except the ones they need to be in to take care of the baby/toddler. If there's a garden sprinkler or something else they might get distracted by, I either lock them inside the house once they're there, or move the object into the household inventory until my sims get back home. It still doesn't always guarantee my sims children will get good care, but it does make it more likely.

@IreneSwift ^That is BRILLIANT! :joy:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Babysitters are the most well thought out, kindest, gentlest, and most delightful of all the homeless NPCs. I often make residents out of them so they can have proper lives, and then the game generates more terrific babysitters for me to play with. Some of my sims have gone on to date their former sitters, once it becomes age appropriate to do so.

Igazor, you must be joking!
    :angry:

@Igazor :lol::joy:

How do you change their traits through MC again? :confounded:

I'm surprised someone hasn't created a mod to generate better babysitters...or have they? :p
    (That was posted back in 2015 so...it should still be ok right? If anyone has tried this mod out, please let me know how effective it was. :) )
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    A robonanny also works well, if you use ITF. Just don't make them sentient.
    emorrill wrote: »

How do you change their traits through MC again? :confounded:

I'm surprised someone hasn't created a mod to generate better babysitters...or have they? :p
    (That was posted back in 2015 so...it should still be ok right? If anyone has tried this mod out, please let me know how effective it was. :) )

Nothing beats a robonanny. What's wrong with sentience, though?

NRaaS > Sim > Advanced > Traits

I have used that mod (flavor 2) before I got the Into The Future expansion and robonannies. It was fine for me.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I have never noticed klepto babysitters. Whoops.

Babysitters are better than sims 2 nannies, all they do is make jello and ignore the kids pretty much and apparently they don’t know when to leave. Believe me sims 3 babysitters are a dream compared to them!
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited September 2019
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Nothing beats a robonanny. What's wrong with sentience, though?
    My sentient robonanny loves to take care of her fun and social meters. She's mostly playing 3D adventures with the gaming goggles now. Before she got the sentience chip, she was cleaning the house when she had free time and only did silly stuff when there was absolutely nothing else to do. Now my gardening robot does most of the housework. I'm not sure whether giving him the "competent cleaner" chip was a good thing, either.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I have never had a baby sitter, as my sims do not work, I once had a live in male maid, forgot what he was called but he was good with the kids and family, He was never left alone to babysit, it was so long ago, but no baby sitter
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Oh yes they're useless, but if they let my sims go out clubbing hours after giving birth then so be it :+1:
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Nay. I always make sure someone is home with the toddler. Thank God for the daycare in TS4.