Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Familiar has no forage option?

My spellcaster made her cat a familiar but there has been no option to send the cat to forage. Is this a bug or does she need a certain spellcaster level or friendship level?

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited September 2019
    You have to summon the pet (click on your sim and summon them like the other familiars). It puts them on the job so to speak.. the forage option will be available then. You can dismiss them also and then you just have normal pet interactions with them.
    Post edited by Hermitgirl on
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    There should be an option to send the cat to forage if you click on it (it might be under the friendly interactions, I don’t remember).

I’ve tried sending my sim’s familiar to forage a number of times. The option is there and he disappears off... But then he doesn’t seem to bring anything back. Is he meant to drop something at her feet or am I meant to get a notification telling me what he brought back or something? Or dies it just go straight into the inventory? He’s a ghost cat which might make a difference.
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    @Hermitgirl Thanks!
  • Options
    DerFalscherDerFalscher Posts: 2 New Member
    I hate to necro a thread, but I have mostly have the same question which the first answer does not apply.

I want to know if I have to force age my cat familiar to gain the option to send it foraging. It's why I got a cat...

If not, what are the conditions for the action to appear? Currently my cat (kitten) is bound and "summoned". I've looked through all options both in and out of the Magic Realm.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited April 2020
    I hate to necro a thread, but I have mostly have the same question which the first answer does not apply.

I want to know if I have to force age my cat familiar to gain the option to send it foraging. It's why I got a cat...

If not, what are the conditions for the action to appear? Currently my cat (kitten) is bound and "summoned". I've looked through all options both in and out of the Magic Realm.

Kittens (and puppies) cannot forage. You will need to wait (or use an age up treat) until they're adult.
  • Options
    DerFalscherDerFalscher Posts: 2 New Member
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Kittens (and puppies) cannot forage. You will need to wait (or use an age up treat) until they're adult.

Thank you so much for this piece of information. I ended up searching longer on the web through several articles, videos and forums for this specific answer than I would have trying it with a different character.

Now that I know, it prompted a new question in my head. Unsure if I would do it if it works, but: what happen when you have a pet sent on a foraging mission and you summon a different familiar? Does the pet return home as a pet with empty hands, does it stay in the wild as long as it intended without rewards or does it finish its job regardless its abandonment? (I will not look elsewhere for the answer to this question, so if you don't know, don't take your precious time to fish the info either).
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Kittens (and puppies) cannot forage. You will need to wait (or use an age up treat) until they're adult.

Thank you so much for this piece of information. I ended up searching longer on the web through several articles, videos and forums for this specific answer than I would have trying it with a different character.

Now that I know, it prompted a new question in my head. Unsure if I would do it if it works, but: what happen when you have a pet sent on a foraging mission and you summon a different familiar? Does the pet return home as a pet with empty hands, does it stay in the wild as long as it intended without rewards or does it finish its job regardless its abandonment? (I will not look elsewhere for the answer to this question, so if you don't know, don't take your precious time to fish the info either).

I have no idea. I've never switched familiars while one was out foraging. Sorry.