Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you hope University Adds?

Comments

• JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    In addition to everything said because all this sounds amazing, I would like for more after school activities for child and teen sims as well. Like (forgive me if I mention some already in game I knoe Drama and Scouting are in game) Sports, Dance/Ballet, Art, Music, Newspaper, Debate, Shop, etc...

Though I suppose something like this will be more part of a Hobbies or Generations pack. I do miss the actual interaction of playing catch as well as the soccer and volleyball activities.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't really need all the wild parties, kegs, fraternities, or cheerleaders. Based on posts here, even though I am from the US, I would probably prefer a pack based on universities from Britain, Australia, or elsewhere. I REALLY do need bands and orchestras though. 😀
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    CAF84 wrote: »
    I would like it to be highly customisable. This is one thing the sims 4 seems to do well (thinking about clubs, calendar, the game/magic/vampire systems). I would like to be able to make three-year degrees the norm. Here in the UK we don’t have majors or minors - you take a specific degree and then choose modules. I did a BSc in Psychology. The first year we had set modules where you learn a bit of everything, but after that we could choose areas that interested us. My third year completely different to one of my friends with my course reflecting all the biological/physiological/animal/evolutionary aspects of the study of psychology and hers reflecting her very different interests. I would like to be able to reflect this in game - but I don’t have high hopes.

I’d also like to see the introduction of post-grad course (masters, post grad teaching degree, law conversion degrees etc.) and also doctorates. It would be be great if sims can return to university to do a post grad at any point in their life if they already have a degree. My brothers and I all went on to do a post grad degree but all of us had a few years of work before we did so. I know a lot of people who didn’t go straight on to do a masters after their undergraduate years. It would also be great to have the option to do more than one undergraduate degree postgrad course.

I would like to see two different universities - possibly in the same world (though it would have to be a large one). One a more campus-based university and the other more urban, with buildings spread around the town. It would be entertaining to generate sports rivalries between the two. I was part of my university (field)hockey team and we had a friendly rivalry with other local universities. It would also be great to have more choices. I also don’t have high hopes for this.

It would be nice to have a mixture of accommodation types. Here it’s pretty standard to spend your first year of uni in a hall of residence (sort of like US dorms - it’s actually a complex of self contained flats with around 6 bedrooms each and a shared kitchen/living space) and then move into shared houses after that. I’d like my young adult sims to live in shared houses (as I did that long after uni as well - many young people live like that here) where I don’t have to play their housemates. That would be a great feature to see across the whole game.

I’d like to see energy drinks introduced to get sims through all night cramming/essay finishing sessions. I was always a last-minute kind of student and was always finishing an essay or assignment through the night before it was due. Couldn’t have done it without red bull! I’d like this more generally in game as there are times coffee just doesn’t cut it.

A band system - it may work better in a game pack, but I really miss this feature and really want it to return. I want more instruments. Uni wouldn’t be uni without student bands playing at the dive bars/pubs/student union.

Other things:
    - laptops that work on laps or when sims are reclining in bed or on a lounger
    - Backpacks/satchels that our sims can carry that are a portable inventory with a limit to how much they can carry
    - More take away options
    - A students union lot type with clubs your sim can join (not clubs in the GT sense)
    - More variety of part time jobs
    - a Rota system maybe for roommates that aren’t playable. You could set whose turn it is to clean/do laundry/repair broken items/cook possibly. My shared living experiences are filled with “house meetings” where we endlessly discussed whose turn it was to do x, y, z. It would be nice to have a simple way to set out shared responsibilities for sims we can’t control so that our own sim doesn’t have to do it all

I'd love to see all of this especially the backpacks, post grad degrees, roommate system, and more than one university to choose from.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    I'd love to see my Sims able to join the football team, cheerleading, and band! Frats and sororities would give me a good reason to use the bro trait. :) Also, profession as teacher/professor and part time work as college mascot and maybe at the campus book store or cafeteria.

Also, I'd like to see things added to High School options for preparedness. Adding an aspiration of an ivy league college that would include planning for their college application and add things like the need for community service for example.

So any good ideas! My favorite finds on the thread have been used furniture, bunk beds and murphy bed, bed head hairstyles, and new careers unlocked with a degree! :)

Erja888 had a great post!
    Erja888 wrote: »
    CAS:
    - out of bed hairstyles
    - sweaters with uni logo(s)
    - new glasses
    - new tatoos
    - new accessories
    - new traits (irresistable, socially akward, nerd)
    - new aspirations (perfect student, uni forever -> has several deegrees but never a real career)

gameplay features:
    - scholarships (aptitude tests) for teenagers and up
    - keg party
    - graduation party
    - lots of subjects to choose from and different tasks for university students (go jogging/swimming for sport students, use microscope for science students, practise texts for acting students, go fishing for biology students, use operation simulator for medical students, use whiteboard for business students...)
    - new odd jobs
    - new romantic interactions (engagement on table, new kisses...)
    - Greek houses (and tests to get into them)
    - ways to cheat on exams (and possibility to get caught)
    - learn a university dance or university handshake
    - new careers will be available after graduation in certain fields (similar to Sims 2; e.g. teacher, dentist, psychologist)

B/B features:
    - bunk beds
    - murphy beds
    - mini fridges (with new quick meal options)
    - used furniture
    - kicky bag
    - ping pong table
    - pool table
    - photo booth
    - acarde table
    - soccer ball
    - backpack
    - vending machines
    - and all things required for studying different subjects (see "gameplay features")

NO new occult Sims (good for Simmers who don't want them; good for Simmers who want great versions and will get them in GPs).

6qrDi11.png
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Bunk beds!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    For me, it's not about what's added but what's taken away. I don't want anything that is not directly related to University. I don't want bands, or grade/high school development, or anything else that would be more and better fleshed out in a GP or SP. Just because bands came in a Uni pack once does not make it a requirement for any Uni pack after that. I would prefer less silly, useless things that we probably rarely played more than twice and a more focused approach to Uni. When they focus and hone in on making the essentials outstanding, they do a better job and we get better packs.

A dorm/NPC roommate system that could come an apartment pack. Greek houses and the social aspects of it. I'd like it to feel more like an exclusive club that your sim got into than just a different place to live. And a much more in-depth Secret Society. One with a cool, hidden hang-out spot to meet in, a secret handshake, and more spooky, secretive meetings that could be called in the dark with candles and hooded robes. Nothing Satanic, just over the top like I've seen in movies. Devs, watch the skulls (the original) and maybe even Animal House. Maybe there could be secret "portal" behind a bookcase or painting of a fat lady that takes you to the Secret Societies secret sanctorum.

On line classes and night classes and other things like this are great ideas, but they can be added in a SP or even a patch like the freelance jobs were. Stuff like this doesn't need to take up space in the Uni pack.

Hmm... so you would rather see a University GP? Since they are usually focused. EP's are more broad and have a little something for everyone, or that's my impression so far.

There's absolutely no reason an EP can't be just as focused as a GP. And what I mean by focus is on all the content regardless of how it interacts. GPs have a tighter theme than EPs but that's no excuse not to ensure that it is just a tightly honed as a GP, especially if it's not full of stuff that could just as easily be featured in it's own smaller pack, like bands. Bands have nothing to do with the college experience other than going to hear one play at a local college bar. With less satellite stuff to worry about, the devs can concentrate on making the Uni life more full and complete.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I don't really need all the wild parties, kegs, fraternities, or cheerleaders. Based on posts here, even though I am from the US, I would probably prefer a pack based on universities from Britain, Australia, or elsewhere. I REALLY do need bands and orchestras though. 😀
    We have wild parties here in Australia, but not kegs, nor fraternities, and no cheerleaders. We do things a little differently.

Our engineering students are known for their wild pranks, which usually involve placing parked cars in predicaments, such as suspended under a bridge, or parked in an elevator. Engineering students in the UK are also known to engage in similar pranks, also involving placing cars in predicaments, such as on rooftops.

One of our universities has a medical students society, known as Skullduggery, which is the heart of wild parties.

CAF84 wrote: »
    I would like to be able to make three-year degrees the norm.
    Same.
    Typically, Aussies apply for a specific university course, we don't just rock up, and decide later. The decision is usually made at the end of year 10, with the subjects chosen for years 11, and 12 being what sets you up for your chosen branch of study. All the pre-prep is done by the start of Uni, making a standard bachelors only 3 years.

I’d also like to see the introduction of post-grad course (masters, post grad teaching degree, law conversion degrees etc.) and also doctorates. It would be be great if sims can return to university to do a post grad at any point in their life if they already have a degree.
    I like this idea. It reflects reality.

I would like to see two different universities - possibly in the same world (though it would have to be a large one). One a more campus-based university and the other more urban, with buildings spread around the town. It would be entertaining to generate sports rivalries between the two. I was part of my university (field)hockey team and we had a friendly rivalry with other local universities.
    I really like this idea too. More options for more game-play styles.
    Most universities here have a main campus, and then a heap of minor campuses, and very few of them have dorms on campus. Dorms are usually elsewhere in town. There's a lot of uni owned buildings scattered around the CBD, some are just extra space for student to use, but most are used for specific branches of study.

It would also be great to have more choices. I also don’t have high hopes for this.
    I want more choices too, but I have low expectations. They're not doing a very goof job of making a variable game so far.

It would be nice to have a mixture of accommodation types.
    Variety is the spice of life. Not everyone lives on campus in the real world, many people commute to uni, it'd be nice if it was an option.
    Dorms and share houses with non-playable housemates wouldn't be a bad option.

I’d like to see energy drinks introduced to get sims through all night cramming/essay finishing sessions.
    I've had thoughts about this sort of thing.
    Sim students should be able to 'pull and allnighter' where they push the limits, and stay awake for far longer than they should, leading to an unstable emotional state, and an eventual crash, requiring them to sleep it off for 12-15 hours.

A band system - it may work better in a game pack, but I really miss this feature and really want it to return. I want more instruments. Uni wouldn’t be uni without student bands playing at the dive bars/pubs/student union.
    Personally, I would prefer bands to be in a totally separate pack, but failing that, uni is the right place for them.

laptops that work on laps or when sims are reclining in bed or on a lounger
    And on the floor, the loo and in the bath (on one of those board things across the bath)

Backpacks/satchels that our sims can carry that are a portable inventory with a limit to how much they can carry
    The only way they can carry textbooks, laptops, tablets, pencil cases, folders, notebooks.... carry too much, and your sim will suffer.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • toxxictoxxic Posts: 11 New Member
    I never had University for 3 and I don't remember much of 2 so I don't really have anything to go off of, but I would still get a University pack. I like the extra game play. I just hope it's not boring. I was thinking of it kind of being like Get to Work or the acting career so you could actually go to class and then have stuff to do.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I would love more arcade games
    Bunk beds
    Teaching career
    A comic shop like in TS3
    Slumber parties
    More takeout options
    For me, it's not about what's added but what's taken away. I don't want anything that is not directly related to University. I don't want bands, or grade/high school development, or anything else that would be more and better fleshed out in a GP or SP. Just because bands came in a Uni pack once does not make it a requirement for any Uni pack after that. I would prefer less silly, useless things that we probably rarely played more than twice and a more focused approach to Uni. When they focus and hone in on making the essentials outstanding, they do a better job and we get better packs.

A dorm/NPC roommate system that could come an apartment pack. Greek houses and the social aspects of it. I'd like it to feel more like an exclusive club that your sim got into than just a different place to live. And a much more in-depth Secret Society. One with a cool, hidden hang-out spot to meet in, a secret handshake, and more spooky, secretive meetings that could be called in the dark with candles and hooded robes. Nothing Satanic, just over the top like I've seen in movies. Devs, watch the skulls (the original) and maybe even Animal House. Maybe there could be secret "portal" behind a bookcase or painting of a fat lady that takes you to the Secret Societies secret sanctorum.

On line classes and night classes and other things like this are great ideas, but they can be added in a SP or even a patch like the freelance jobs were. Stuff like this doesn't need to take up space in the Uni pack.

Hmm... so you would rather see a University GP? Since they are usually focused. EP's are more broad and have a little something for everyone, or that's my impression so far.

There's absolutely no reason an EP can't be just as focused as a GP. And what I mean by focus is on all the content regardless of how it interacts. GPs have a tighter theme than EPs but that's no excuse not to ensure that it is just a tightly honed as a GP, especially if it's not full of stuff that could just as easily be featured in it's own smaller pack, like bands. Bands have nothing to do with the college experience other than going to hear one play at a local college bar. With less satellite stuff to worry about, the devs can concentrate on making the Uni life more full and complete.

I guess my college experience was a bit different. I was obsessed with music and went to see new bands all the time on campus. I hung posters of singers on my dorm walls. I danced to bands at nightclubs. I was a DJ at our campus radio station. I sang in the choir and took music classes. My friends and I talked about the music we thought was cool. To me music is an integral part of the college experience.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Bikes
    Bunk-beds
    Pull-down beds
    Vending machines
    Major specific items
    Drum kits

I guess my college experience was a bit different. I was obsessed with music and went to see new bands all the time on campus. I hung posters of singers on my dorm walls. I danced to bands at nightclubs. I was a DJ at our campus radio station. I sang in the choir and took music classes. My friends and I talked about the music we thought was cool. To me music is an integral part of the college experience.

I didn't say that I don't want bands. I do want bands but there is no reason that they need to clog up the Uni pack when they could be a smaller pack of their own. You probably did a lot of different things in college that don't need to be added to a Uni pack because they could be part of their own pack.

What if there are some players that want bands badly but have absolutely no interest in university game play? Should they be forced to by a Uni pack just to get bands?

And when we get "bands", I want more than just bands. I want more than the game play to create a band and play in a bar. I want to construct any musical group I want, like a musical quartet that plays classical music or a harpist at a wadding, I want more than just drums and a bass guitar.
  • NyosimNyosim Posts: 816 Member
    Besides the usual things like pool tables, kegs, bunks and Murphy beds?

- At least two universities: one more focused on studying and the other on socializing.
    - Fully fleshed out PlantSims with a perks tree!
    - Scholarships that depend on a teen’s household funds, skills and grades.
    - Teens (and kid geniuses!) can also attend college-level courses at their rabbit hole school.
    - TS3 UL social groups return and mostly stay the same. but when a Sim achieves level 10 in all 3 they receive access to the special “Big Sim on Campus” group and exclusive socials.
    900woh.png
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 455 Member
    I'd want it to be more like sims 2, but better.

Have a campus region where your sims can go once adult, before getting a job. You can choose a sim's specialisation to give them a headstart in a certain range of jobs.

I also want them to push more the movie version of college. Have keg parties, bring alcohol back into the series instead of some lame juice. Let sims do crazy stuff that gets them in trouble. Have different social groups that a sim can join, and which act a certain way.

Could be jocks, geeks, enviromentalists, goths and maybe more. Each could dislike a specific other group. Clothing styles could be tied to different groups.
    rhalius wrote: »
    enviromentalists
    oooooh! That's a good thought. Given the global event on Friday, that's a very good thought!
    It's also a social group/movement/clique that's been around in universities since the 60's, yet hasn't really been added as a thing in the sims.
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I really hope non-dorm uni is a thing. In Australia, nearly NOBODY lives in a dorm at uni, most live at home, or in their own home, and go to classes for a few hours a day, then studies at home, or does entirely online uni (for courses that offer it, of course). i'd feel miffed if I can't let my supposedly teens stay home with mum to do their study like they do here. Dorms just aren't in my ideal experience at all.

More social clubs and types, like the nerds and jocks from TS3, and maybe even more extra-curricular, things that add to skills, like being on the guild adding to Charisma, which helps for Politics.
    I'd love culinary school to be a thing, along with magic school (as a secret school that only a spellcaster can enrol in) and the CHOICE of active school. I don't like active careers, so I would like the choice to send my Sims to a rabbit hole.
    The conservation career in Island Living (why protest when you actually do something) doesn't seem to be very popular as I have seen little posting about it. Plus we already have protesting for ideas (save the trees) that came in City Living.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I'd like to see a bunch of mad science stuff added with the pack (of course, knowing my weird behind):

Robotics (a skill that goes from making Roombas to building human-like mechanical sims with a full range of emotions and aspirations of their own)

Gene Splicing (making supernatural creatures, super-sims, mutant pets, and giving yourself superpowers with the power of questionably ethical science)

Upgrades to Plantsims (possibly via Gene Splicing...Because screw the rules, I have science!)

Chemistry (with the possibility of creating mutagenic ooze or freak accidents that cause superpowers or mutations...What? I grew up in the late 80's and the 90's. All of the good action cartoons had this stuff back then, O.K.)

What do I not want? Student debt and clerical errors that mess up your declared major...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Honestly, I would prefer that they expanded schooling as a whole rather than just adding universities. I would love to see school for children and teens become more active with afterschool clubs and activities, more choices, more impact. Doing poorly in school should reflect on your career whereas doing well in school may help you end up a little higher or with a higher pay.

Example, someone who fails school gets, like, $10 less than normal whereas someone who exceled would get $10 more per hour.

Also, with the reputation system, I would love for that to take into account.

Aside from all of that:

- Bunkbeds
    - A variety of dormitories or houses
    - Social groups and cliques (would work nicely with Get Together)
    - Degrees and such
    - Careers locked to certain degrees that make going to university worth it
    - A medium-sized world
    - More traits and aspirations (especially ones tied to children and mental state)
    - Depression and anxiety (I kid, I kid)

Sadly, I doubt we will even get bunkbeds.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I'd like to see a bunch of mad science stuff added with the pack (of course, knowing my weird behind):

Robotics (a skill that goes from making Roombas to building human-like mechanical sims with a full range of emotions and aspirations of their own)

Gene Splicing (making supernatural creatures, super-sims, mutant pets, and giving yourself superpowers with the power of questionably ethical science)

Upgrades to Plantsims (possibly via Gene Splicing...Because screw the rules, I have science!)

Chemistry (with the possibility of creating mutagenic ooze or freak accidents that cause superpowers or mutations...What? I grew up in the late 80's and the 90's. All of the good action cartoons had this stuff back then, O.K.)

What do I not want? Student debt and clerical errors that mess up your declared major...

your ideas rock
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    munroele wrote: »
    I really hope non-dorm uni is a thing. In Australia, nearly NOBODY lives in a dorm at uni,
    This is what I keep saying!
    The only people who use dorms in Australia seem to be international students, and students from rural or remote areas, but only in their first year of uni. After that first year, anyone who isn't still living at home moves into some form of share housing. In the first year, people make friends. Uni students are well known for cramming many people into a share house. Had some friends in a 3 br house, they ended up with 7 people living there!
    most live at home, or in their own home, and go to classes for a few hours a day, then studies at home
    It's the most cost effective way of attending uni. And since most of our population lives in cites that have multiple universities, it's really easy to do. Some people even attend classes at more than one campus.
    i'd feel miffed if I can't let my supposedly teens stay home with mum to do their study like they do here.
    Yep. I want sims who have toddlers, or children to be able to attend uni too, from home.

Dorms just aren't in my ideal experience at all.
    They're neither realistic nor relevant to our personal experiences. When I moved to the city to study, I investigated the possibility of living in a dorm, but it was far too expensive. At the time, it cost me $10 per week more, to live in a 2 br flat on my own, rather than in a tiny dorm room. I ended up with a friend moving in with me, which meant the flat cost half what the dorm room did.

I'd love culinary school to be a thing,
    Something like a trade school, in the style of TAFE.
    There needs to be a handy-sim career. Plumbers and sparkies are real trades too.
    Nursing as well. Not everyone in medical careers aim to be a doctor or surgeon, many become nurses, or aged care workers.

the CHOICE of active school. I don't like active careers, so I would like the choice to send my Sims to a rabbit hole.
    Yep, options are lacking. Active careers should work like rabbit hole careers, but with slower progression in the career when you don't go to work with the sim. Uni should work the same. Your sim should still get educated if you don't attend with them, but they'll only get B's and C's, and maybe D's if you don't go with them. Go to class with them, if you want them to be at the top of the class.

• LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    The above two posts are what Uni living is like in Ireland and the UK. People may live in dorms in the first year but generally move into shared housing in the final two years. They still use university campus facilities for different things, but also have the entire town/city at their disposal.

I would hope the club system can include different interests from university but things like fraternities and sororities do not mean anything here. Of course I can see how people used to them would feel the loss of them from the pack if they were not included. As long as they are optional and haven't taken away from something else that could have been included that would have appealed more broadly, I don't mind.

I didn't say that I don't want bands. I do want bands but there is no reason that they need to clog up the Uni pack when they could be a smaller pack of their own. You probably did a lot of different things in college that don't need to be added to a Uni pack because they could be part of their own pack.

What if there are some players that want bands badly but have absolutely no interest in university game play? Should they be forced to by a Uni pack just to get bands?

And when we get "bands", I want more than just bands. I want more than the game play to create a band and play in a bar. I want to construct any musical group I want, like a musical quartet that plays classical music or a harpist at a wadding, I want more than just drums and a bass guitar.

Excellent points! I definitely want to be able to construct other musical groups as well.

Cool ideas!

Movotti wrote: »
    munroele wrote: »
    I really hope non-dorm uni is a thing. In Australia, nearly NOBODY lives in a dorm at uni,
    This is what I keep saying!
    The only people who use dorms in Australia seem to be international students, and students from rural or remote areas, but only in their first year of uni. After that first year, anyone who isn't still living at home moves into some form of share housing. In the first year, people make friends. Uni students are well known for cramming many people into a share house. Had some friends in a 3 br house, they ended up with 7 people living there!

Oh lol, I relate with this! I lived in an apartment my second year. Three of us shared a small one-bedroom apartment, so one person basically slept in the closet!