Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ROM Q: Townie spellcasters if Glimmerbrook ignored?

Just a simple question. If I load an old save and never visit Glimmerbrook, do townies get turned into spellcasters? I haven't gotten ROM yet and I'm one of those simmers who wants magical saves AND non-magical saves. Does visiting Glimmerbrook trigger townie spellcasters, or will the game start changing Bob Pancakes and Eva Capricciosa automatically?

Comments

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I have one save in which I haven’t visited the portal, could check how that one is this evening.

If you make a test save we could compare notes.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I have one save in which I haven’t visited the portal, could check how that one is this evening.

If you make a test save we could compare notes.

Thanks,
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited September 2019
    I have not seen non-Glimmerbrook townies becoming Casters in my game. That may be mods I don't use (MCCC) or settings I do use (disable all aging, do not fill empty houses). The Realm seems to have its own bin of premades. I do not know at all for sure what does or does not make random townies into casters, only that it has not happened to me.

edit - fixed a typo from posting on my phone / dyac
    Post edited by Sindocat on
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I have not seen non-Glimmerbrook townies becoming Casters in my game. That may be miss I don't use (MCCC) or settings I do use (disable all aging, do not fill empty houses). The Realm seems to have its own bin of premades. I do not know at all for sure what does or does not make random townies into casters, only that it has not happened to me.

That sounds hopeful.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    They should be converted only if you visit the realm. I'm not sure about the residential world.
    SiliClone wrote: »
    They should be converted only if you visit the realm. I'm not sure about the residential world.

This is sounding better and better. I just wanted to make sure. Just like I don't want an invasion of vampires, mermaids and Strangerville plants showing up all my saves.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    The filter calls for "convert to venue NPC", the venue is the magic HQ, so they shouldn't be converted until you get there. The game will generate aliens and vampires though.
    The filter calls for "convert to venue NPC", the venue is the magic HQ, so they shouldn't be converted until you get there. The game will generate aliens and vampires though.

Thanks for explaining that. And I can keep Vlad off my back neck, but at least Bella and Gavin don't spontaneously become vampires. I wonder about aliens. If a new save never has a visit to alien night at a bar, an active scientist career or hasn't had an abduction, do aliens show up anyway? I suppose there could be townies that are assigned the alien trait, but it never gets expressed if your playable sim doesn't discover them.

I have heard townies speak with an alien voice, but I've never considered whether or not that save has been vanilla concerning aliens.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member

Thanks for explaining that. And I can keep Vlad off my back neck, but at least Bella and Gavin don't spontaneously become vampires. I wonder about aliens. If a new save never has a visit to alien night at a bar, an active scientist career or hasn't had an abduction, do aliens show up anyway? I suppose there could be townies that are assigned the alien trait, but it never gets expressed if your playable sim doesn't discover them.

I have heard townies speak with an alien voice, but I've never considered whether or not that save has been vanilla concerning aliens.

I just use MCCC to turn off bar nights. I have a long running save (on Gen 11) that I like to keep “realistic”, and I do have all the packs. I find that by avoiding all occult gameplay, and turning off (or avoiding) bar nights, it keeps the unrealistic stuff away enough to ignore. I’ll see Vlad (or Caleb & Lilith) around at venues, but I just don’t make a point to interact with them. So far, the premade vampires are really the only occults I notice at all while playing that save.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    edited September 2019
    Aliens show up anyway, at least in my game, but no premades convert to that. Aliens seem to be a townie sub-set, while townie vampires proliferate like rats. Strangerville is the last pack I've gotten, so have no idea on the impact of IL & ROM.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I don't have mods. A handful of my human households randomly turned into Casters. I never wanted all my sims to only be Casters, just the ones I make them. So I deleted them & started a new save called Humans Only. That way my old game will be the occults & the new won't. I hope.