Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Sims 5 in The Cloud in the future? Cloud gaming coming- official.

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Cloud works off of the internet, right? I would not like that, as I have the "best internet" in my area, yet we still get random outages with it. That wouldn't be good in the middle of playing. I remember when I got my first PC of my own for my room when I was 12 and I didn't get internet hooked up until a couple months later and all I did was play The Sims 2. There are probably people out there who play Sims 4 that don't have great internet too.

Nope -- cloud gaming is 100% internet based. You lose connection, you lose the ability to play every single cloud title you own.

I really don't care for cloud gaming. Just sell me a good game at $60 and I'll be on my way.

I think I'm with you. I keep several older machines to play old games on without the internet or registration activation. I'll stay with Sims 4 until the end and that's that.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm not getting behind cloud anything thank you very much. I'm not supporting it. I don't know about the youngsters (even though I'm in my 20's lol) but even if I have to stop playing altogether, I won't support it.

When I buy something, I buy it so that it can be mine, and I'l gladly use my own computer and my own hardware to play it. End of discussion.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    One argument against cloud-based Sims is also the fact that they do like their teen and kid players and the current EA account setup on kid accounts is strictly offline - no shop, no gallery, no friends. With European rules and half of the countries' restrictions set to only over-16s being legally allowed to have regular online accounts, they'd be cutting off a potentially significant amount of players.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I couldn't use a game like this. Sometimes I lose connection and don't want to stop playing what I like because of that. I don't mind the way it is now. I often play offline if my connection is wonky... but yeah nope guess I'm too old to consider this.
    egTcBMc.png
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    One argument against cloud-based Sims is also the fact that they do like their teen and kid players and the current EA account setup on kid accounts is strictly offline - no shop, no gallery, no friends. With European rules and half of the countries' restrictions set to only over-16s being legally allowed to have regular online accounts, they'd be cutting off a potentially significant amount of players.

That's a good point, and as someone else mentioned, modding is another big issue. We've discussed that before with collaborative gaming. The cloud isn't necessarily shared-access, however - it's actually just as private as working from my own computer. The only difference is that the programs I use and the files I save (documents, etc) are in the cloud rather than on my hard drive. That would still be a problem for modders and people who use mods and cc (probably the majority of players), but it can be safe for kids.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    Will Wright We have it from the Master..... but do we listen to him anymore?

Cloud gaming is the future according to Sim's creator Will Wright. In a recent interview with GamesIndustry, The Sims creator Will Wright said that cloud gaming will be the future of the industry. That's because consumers typically own more than one Internet-connected gadget: a desktop PC, a laptop, a console, a smartphone and/or a tablet

..................."I think you should listen to the market," he said. "But a lot of times with a brand new experience, when you start describing it to people before they can experience it they'll say it sucks, or 'we've never seen anything like it so we can't really envision playing it in our head'. I think there's still a lot of room for someone with an artistic vision that's not going to survive focus groups, but if a person holds true to that vision you're going to end up with something that wouldn't exist otherwise."..................................

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-09-will-wright-console-guys-are-running-scared?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Simburian fair enough, he (and anyone else) is free to think whatever they want. We can listen *and* some of us can disagree.

@invisiblgirl That's true. The problem is that the laws are set. And kids can only have very limited accounts as of now which rely on their data being processed differently, more carefully. It would definitely require very careful arrangements. Generally, with a lot of places, that tends to mean "well, we'll just not make this available to kids, it's too much work". As of now, the fact that Origin won't even allow parent accounts to connect to their own kid's accounts and that parents can't gift games to kids via the store tells me that they're not particularly keen on making those arrangements.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

When it comes to the Sims I want lord over my own little world. Collecting mods and CC so that I can make it look and work just right. That is what the sims means to me at least.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    It is interesting though. Having a giant game with super high resolution and being able to play this anywhere, cause of cloud. But I also do not trust new technology, it never brings in much good tbh.
    Besides that, you need to play with internet which I do like to be forced to use. What happens when you habe a bad connection or when it shuts down for a few sec? You loose it all? Will it be unplayable or lacking anyway. I prefer to control these things myself by being able to choose and buy my own device and be separated from the world.

On another note, they NEED to implant a automatic save every 5 min any way just in case it crashes, but NOT on top of you original save. Just a separate save that will be deleted once you save over your own original file.
  • MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    The last time Maxis dabbled in all-new online only game, they killed a franchise. So, nope.

On the serious side, cloud gaming has a long way to go. Our internet infrastructure really needs to be overhauled to be able to do cloud gaming, especially when we consider internet in rural area.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Cloud works off of the internet, right? I would not like that, as I have the "best internet" in my area, yet we still get random outages with it. That wouldn't be good in the middle of playing. I remember when I got my first PC of my own for my room when I was 12 and I didn't get internet hooked up until a couple months later and all I did was play The Sims 2. There are probably people out there who play Sims 4 that don't have great internet too.

Nope -- cloud gaming is 100% internet based. You lose connection, you lose the ability to play every single cloud title you own.

I really don't care for cloud gaming. Just sell me a good game at $60 and I'll be on my way.

Hence why I am wary of any game requiring an internet access
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    Will Wright We have it from the Master..... but do we listen to him anymore?

Cloud gaming is the future according to Sim's creator Will Wright. In a recent interview with GamesIndustry, The Sims creator Will Wright said that cloud gaming will be the future of the industry. That's because consumers typically own more than one Internet-connected gadget: a desktop PC, a laptop, a console, a smartphone and/or a tablet

..................."I think you should listen to the market," he said. "But a lot of times with a brand new experience, when you start describing it to people before they can experience it they'll say it plum, or 'we've never seen anything like it so we can't really envision playing it in our head'. I think there's still a lot of room for someone with an artistic vision that's not going to survive focus groups, but if a person holds true to that vision you're going to end up with something that wouldn't exist otherwise."..................................

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-09-will-wright-console-guys-are-running-scared?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily

He has the point it's the future for every thing, but doesn't mean I'm going to go along with it. There are many days I am annoyed because I have to use the internet to do something. When I could have simply did something (maybe even faster) the old way of doing something. I really get annoyed when something I used or did is online only now, or I can't buy or I can't send, or I can't pay, or I can't find out something because someone, somewhere moved it to the internet. Know what I mean? There are days I think about just unplugging myself and world from the whole darn concept of internet but I would run into a road block where I would have to go online to do something. Some days I just want to scream 'stop the madness' and give me back choices, no matter what it is. (ETA: one annoying sample, when I changed routers I could only monitor my router and set up if I download the app on my phone, no pc could be used to get on their site to set it up, that made me want to bite nails in two.)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I can see why they'd like to push cloud gaming - if they have massive supercomputers on which the games run, they can throw system requirements out of the window and leave you only with demands for internet connection. Plus it'd assure everyone has an up-to-date game and probably inhibit piracy more than all the DRM methods. There would be two theoretical business models - a monthly subscription to access anything they have (I believe they have something like that with Origin Premium or w/e it's named) or free access with the old good buy-each-game.

As many people said, the first problem is access to high-speed internet. I live in walk distance between three major cities (300k, 50k, and 30k) that have optical network but I am still limited to the antenna on my roof and 10mbps. Yes, there will be a 5G network but even that has its limits.

And, the major issue: modding. Sims without mods? Nope, not taking part in that.

Then, we have more issues: UI customization (I know this doesn't apply directly to Sims but it does to many other types of games), vulnerability to DDoS attacks, potential lag issues for people living far from the servers, and probably more I forgot or just don't come to me right now.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Remember when they didn't put open worlds in ts4 because not everyone has a powerful computer?
    Well, lets hope that they remember that not everyone has a powerful (or consistent) internet connection.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    edited September 2019
    I am heartily sick of the Cloud at the moment as Kindle updated my PC for Kindle with a completely new version deleting all my downloaded books (406!) in the process with the "Open your book in the Cloud" message. Making all of those in the previous version illegal. They had included every device I ever deregistered as a present device. I am so angry because I like to read all my books offline. If EA so much as offers any Sims downloads as Cloud versions after this they are going to get a message full of "plums" from me.

I do hope that EA/Maxis are not going to offer this instead of the Legacy Game for those with low power machines.
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I have no desire to play cloud based games, far too much scope for things to go wrong. I'm not keen on storing my stuff on other people's computers.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Some people believe they're trying to attach our brains to the cloud, so we shall see.
    Simanite wrote: »
    Some people believe they're trying to attach our brains to the cloud, so we shall see.

I expect climate change or an asteroid will get us first. NASA missed an asteroid the size of a football field that passed nearby in April. I expect there will be time for Grant's Sims 4 Apocalypse that he mentioned on Twitter a little while ago!
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    An apocalypse pack could be great fun, as long as the damage was either restricted to one world, OR, could be toggled when you don't always want to play The Road.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; I do not believe in Sims 5
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    As someone with satellite internet (which means I lose connection during storms, clouds, randomly for no reason) with limited bandwidth & slower upload speeds, the whole cloud system would not work for me. I only get 150Gb per month to share among 3 people & one of them likes to stream movies, do video-chatting, & basically hogs the bandwidth so the rest of us have to be careful in our usage. Sims is something I like to play offline & I already hate having to login to Origin to launch it (which means my internet needs to be connected-- sucks when my internet is out).
    I would not be able to play the whole cloud-based thing. I also hate the idea of not owning the game and having to depend on data sources outside my home (more vulnerable to hacking and corruption).
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    I am heartily sick of the Cloud at the moment as Kindle updated my PC for Kindle with a completely new version deleting all my downloaded books (406!) in the process with the "Open your book in the Cloud" message. Making all of those in the previous version illegal. They had included every device I ever deregistered as a present device. I am so angry because I like to read all my books offline. If EA so much as offers any Sims downloads as Cloud versions after this they are going to get a message full of "plums" from me.

I do hope that EA/Maxis are not going to offer this instead of the Legacy Game for those with low power machines.

I love reading my Kindle books offline too! There are old versions of Kindle for PC somewhere on the internet. Just google for it. I have an old version that I really like - I turned off automatic updating for it and downloaded all my books in case my internet connection goes wonky. As an extra precaution, I've made backup copies of my books in case something with my computer goes wonky too.

Back to the thread: We'll have to see just how close EA is to putting all their games on the cloud. I really hope TS5 won't be on it. It already sounds like it would be a monthly subscription if it does. I don't like the idea of that. I want my The Sims games to be completely mine when I pay money for it.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    "the cloud" is just someone else's computer. A corporation's servers maybe, but it makes the user a perpetual renter, owner of nothing. So it's like streaming everything, paying an access fee to do so, without an option to own/download/buy.

Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited March 2020
    Cloud Gaming means
    • Same game for everybody (PC, console and mobile), no need to develop 3 times the same game
    • Play everywhere (as long as there is internet)
    • High quality graphic settings no matter your device
    • Good performances no matter your device
  • SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    Cloud Gaming means
    • Same game for everybody (PC, console and mobile), no need to develop 3 times the same game
    • Play everywhere (as long as there is internet)
    • High quality graphic settings no matter your device
    • Good performances no matter your device

It's less about us worrying if TS5 is going on cloud and more about if EAxis would fill it with surprise mechanics and some other crap on the way to making it a cloud game