Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Clanbuilding for Dummies: now with the last two chapters!

Comments

• katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @wamayeli Thank you so much! It's awesome to hear when there's new readers. :) I hope you enjoy the latest update!
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Somebody please stake Miss H already :D Let Caleb and Lilith run the clan...I'd join up simply for one reason *cough* Caleb *cough* :p;)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    I love Elliot! He cracks me up. So do your snarky narrator comments. I laughed at that description of how everyone was "helping" search for clues. :joy:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
    edited July 2019
    @NyteRose Miss H's overconfidence is going to work against her eventually. But I won't say how badly yet. ;)

@GlacierSnow Glad you're enjoying it. Those in-between parts are always fun to write. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    edited August 2019
    A new Friday, a new chapter:
    http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/08/03/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-18/

Also, don't forget to vote in the July SimFic Challenge:

https://lisabeesims.com/2019/08/01/monthly-simlit-short-story-challenge-july-2019-submissions-vote/

My short story Clover's Sight is one of the veteran entries, and there are so many amazing other stories this month. Keep in mind you have to vote for 3 in each category and you must read all entries before voting. Go SimFic! :)
    "... for some reason the oven never worked for me until now" :joy: ROFL! I love how you poke fun at the game mechanics in your story. Very sly and well done.

Good episode. I'm wondering if Max is having a change of heart...
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow He's certainly leaning that way. ;)

Sorry updates have been a bit slow this month. I've been traveling a lot. I posted my entry for the August SimFic Challenge this morning, and Clanbuilding will be back in September:
    http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/08/23/works-like-a-charm/

I do have a question for everyone, though. Namely, how do you guys feel about the story potentially switching to a SimFic format from the comic? I have some ideas for how the next chapter might transition between the two. I actually know how the story is going to end and what happens in each chapter. I just can't produce these things as fast in comic form with my current schedule.

Any feedback is much appreciated. :)
    @katrinasforest I think it's your story, so you should do what works best for you. :) I do enjoy the comic format, and it inspired me to start using speech balloons in a sim story I'm currently working on privately. But I also know it adds extra work.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow That's really cool! I'm flattered. :)

I'll play it by ear, I think. I have a few hours set aside to write today. I tend to assume things have to be one extreme or the other--it's not like I can't compromise and still stick with the comic pages but have more text in between. My last chapter was almost all comic pages. And then I wonder why it takes so long. ^_^;;
    @katrinasforest You can definitely have both comic style parts and narrative text parts. That's actually how I am doing mine.

The main thing from my point of view as a fan of your story is the humor. I love how you have all these clueless and sassy characters interacting with each other, and how you poke fun at the way the Sims game functions by imagining them all living in a real world that actually functions like that. It's clever and witty, and as long as you don't lose that aspect of it, what method you use to portray it is not that important.

I've always been a proponent of quality over speed, and I'm perfectly happy waiting for each new installment because I know it will be worth the wait. I have this thread bookmarked so whenever you do post, I know about it right away, and that's good enough for me. I would just hate to see you abandon it completely, at this point, so I say do whatever you think will keep you going.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Thanks again, @GlacierSnow. I really appreciate the encouragement. I've decided to stick with the comic format for now, perhaps moving to a different format if I do a spin-off story. I might still make some chapters a little heavier on the written scenes and a little lighter on the sheer number of comic pages, but I like the idea of the format being consistent.

Here's this week's chapter: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/09/05/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-19/

The ending is already planned, and I will get there one way or another, so no worries about that!
    I love the taunting message delivered by sticky note! :D Well done.

Sounds like we're about to get a rival clan showdown. Or not. If it's a prank. ;)

Glad to hear you're sticking with it. I enjoy this story a lot.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow Or it's a prank showdown! (Oh, gosh, that sounds like something Kyle would say...)

I've gotten myself a little ahead of the game, finally. Chapter 20 will post on Friday. I'm really excited, because things are going to pick up quickly very soon. ^_^

In the meantime, I have some entertaining outtake shots. First up is Caleb apparently getting into a hissing contest. With a cat. I feel like he lost before he started:
    HissingContest.jpg

Next is this lovely moment when one of the townies decided that clothing in the wintertime is for losers:
    DontMindMe.jpg

And finally, this unfortunate instant when the game decided Allie can now fuse with household visitors:
    SimFusion.jpg

Making this comic is anything but boring, I'll give it that much!
    ROFL!!! :joy::lol: Awesome bloopers! Exactly what I needed to brighten my day.

Looking forward to the next installment. :smiley:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow He-he, glad you enjoyed them. Two of them are from upcoming chapters, but I don't think they give anything major away.

Next chapter is now posted: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/09/20/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-20/
    Well. Looks like it's all over for Elliot. Might as well crawl into his coffin and... uh.. un-die. :lol:

Great chapter! I loved Elliot's "soliloquy". :joy::joy:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow You'd be surprised what Elliot can crawl back from. Especially with Kyle on his side. ;)

Newest chapter is now up: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/10/04/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-21/
    Lol! Eliot trying to game the system there, curing and turning Kyle. :joy: I love the cat-of-influence, and the ending. Very curious how this is going to turn out. :lol::naughty:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    edited October 2019
    @GlacierSnow Probably, but he's pretty desperate at this point. He's got no shame about exploiting loopholes.

I've used Elliot's tactic a lot in my free play, actually--having existing vampires join clans by allowing themselves to be cured and re-turned by the clan's master vamp, getting that master-offspring relationship. It has caused much drama in my Sims' lives.

The idea of cats ruling Briddleton Bay was originally a throwaway line because I didn't own Cats and Dogs at the time. But then of my friends bought it for me for my birthday, so I just incorporated the ruling cats into the plot from there. ^_^;;

Thanks for reading!
    That's interesting, how you play with vampires. I haven't really done much with them turning sims or being in clans. I always just make vampires in CAS when I want vampires. They bite people, but I've never had them turn them. Does it give you any special gameplay options, having a clan, or is it storytelling flavor?
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow I focus on the Vampire Family aspiration. The reward trait makes commands from a master vampire to their offspring always succeed. (The text changes from "Command to X" to "Irresistible Command to X.") I'll usually give the clan a club in Get Together as well, with the clan master being the club leader. It's mostly storytelling flavor--if a Sim finishes the aspiration, I'll have their offspring do pretty much whatever they want (within reason) unless they or their master gets cured by a rival. Sometimes I'll have the offsprings' new dark forms reflect their master's tastes as well. (One vamp master loved aliens and insisted everyone's dark forms look like aliens.) Elliot's kind of a pushover, so most of this stuff never comes up with him--it's just house rules I use to make my free play more dramatic.
    Cool! I love the "dark form must look like aliens" rule your one vampire had. :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Chapter 22 is up: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/10/18/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-22/

Really curious what everyone thinks of the turn of events in this one. :)
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Elliot and Miss H were a couple?
    I assumed she was centuries old, but I guessed wrong :D Very interesting plot twist.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    @NyteRose Well, I guess if the teasers and trailers are considered, "canon," then I suppose Miss H can only be as old as toothbrushes. (I think that's the most modern thing she's seen interacting with.) But I'm all for pre-mades being whatever authors want them to be. In this case,
    Miss H as Elliot's supposed dead girlfriend
    was just too fun a twist to pass up. ^_^

Thanks for reading!