Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WIP: 'The Sims' & 'The Sims 2' Neighbourhoods

MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in the World Builders forum, since I usually just build worlds for fun/myself. This creation, however, I think deserves to be shared!

Why am I building this?
While many have recreated neighbourhoods from The Sims 1 & 2, I found many were left unfinished, inaccurate, or only included one small section of what the original games offered. I also couldn't find any worlds that combined TS1 and TS2 neighbourhoods. However, as you may know, street names were shared between different neighbourhoods in the two games.

The Process
I began trying to puzzle out how they could fit together. I found/took screenshots of each of the four main neighbourhoods I wanted to work with: TS1's Old Town and Downtown, and TS2's Pleasantview and Downtown. Then I outlined and labelled the lots, colour-coded by type; identified named and unnamed roads (e.g. streets with no addresses/properties facing them); and tried to make them line up. With a little maneuvering, they fit into a "T" shape, with Pleasantview - Downtown (TS1) - Old Town (and Neighborhood 1) across the top and Downtown (TS2) attaching below TS1's.
The T-shape meant I had some extra room, so I started looking at what other neighbourhoods might logically be located in close proximity to the other four. Belladonna Cove and Desiderata Valley seemed the most promising, and I decided on the latter since Belladonna Cove's real estate is more expensive than most neighbourhoods and Desiderata Valley has a better ratio of residential to community lots for the world as a whole. As a bonus, Desiderata Valley has a road coming from a mountain tunnel and Old Town has one leaving it.
Next, I made a custom height map as a starting point to help keep my scale accurate and the topography as close to the original neighbourhoods as possible. This allowed me to place all the roads and lots right away and make broad topography adjustments as needed before I started working on individual lots and recreating the neighbourhood details. The detailed sculpting and landscaping is of course still a work-in-progress.
Finally I got to the more fun part - recreating lots from the first two games in the series. I also took some creative liberties in adding lot types from The Sims 3 to make it a fully-functioning TS3 world. The final product will have all of the community lot types from TS3 and its expansions except for those from Supernatural and Into the Future. I'm trying to only use content from expansions and free Store content for the world, although I will be sharing lots and/or a world download using additional store items that make it a closer adaptation of the original neighbourhoods. (For example, some of the Old Town lots work best with content from the Stone's Throw Greenhouse, several TS1 Downtown lots have ice cream machines or could function as a restaurant with the Business as Usual Bistro content.)

My Progress -- Pictures are behind the spoiler tags :smile:
Neighborhood 1 and Old Town are essentially finished!
Downtown (TS1) and Pleasantview are underway.
Downtown (TS2) and Desiderata Valley are coming soon.
TS2-Downtown_progress1.webp
Sims_2_Downtown_full_view.webp

Thanks for checking out my thread!
Feedback and suggestions are welcome :blush:
From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member

Thanks! I'm aware of flstrider's world - it's great! Unfortunately it only has the Sims 1 neighbourhoods, all together as 1 world. I was more interested in how the neighbourhoods from 1 and 2 could be connected, since they are supposedly the same town 25 years later.
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_events_in_The_Sims_series
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
  • PandoopPandoop Posts: 702 Member
    This is so cool! Can't wait to see what comes next!
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    edited October 2019
    I would love to see how they all fit together, zoomed out. :open_mouth::D:love:<3
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • KiearaPhoenixKiearaPhoenix Posts: 212 Member
    Oh how fun of a project! Look forward to seeing how it all meshes together ^^
    By request, here is the *very* rough bird's eye view of the world so you get an idea of how the neighbourhoods fit together. As you can see, I'm far from finished the terrain -- there is still a lot of sculpting, painting, and tree/spawner/etc placement to do.

birdseyelayout-1.webp
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    How's it going? Anything new?
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    Looks like I'm way late to this, but still want to give you a round of applause. These recreations of the classic 'The Sims' neighborhoods look fantastic.
    edited February 2020
    Pinmat135 wrote: »
    How's it going? Anything new?
    All of the TS1 lots are done :) As are the Pleasantview residential lots. I've very slowly been working on the Community Lots from TS2.
    Still plenty of detail work to do for the landscapes and some new lots will need to be made for full TS3 gameplay functionality.

There are more progress shots on this little site: https://hcfurlong.wixsite.com/simcity/world-progress
    Looks like I'm way late to this, but still want to give you a round of applause. These recreations of the classic 'The Sims' neighborhoods look fantastic.
    Not late at all! I appreciate the support!
    Post edited by Morningstar on
  • PC5337PC5337 Posts: 54 Member
    I can’t wait for this to be finished!! 🤩
  • BrycenTheSimmerBrycenTheSimmer Posts: 3 New Member
    This looks AMAZING so far! Will this world be populated?
  • TombRaider_TombRaider_ Posts: 24 Member
    It looks amazing!
  • kkaizerkkaizer Posts: 9 New Member
    I have searched everywhere for this kind of world. This is my dream world!! I tried a lot of different worlds created by others including montsimpa, maxis islands and many other sims 1, pleasantview worlds but this is just what I want. I will bookmark this page!! Please please please please don't give up on this project!!!
    The idea of putting all the neighborhoods from sims 1 and 2 into 1 world has always been my dream but I'm afraid if it can be played without any stress... I support your project but do you also consider making, maybe a smaller version of your project? maybe just sims 1 neighborhood, old town, sims 1 downtown, pleasantview, and sims 2 downtown(maybe+bluewater?) since those are the ones that are connected storywise...
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    Wow, amazing!! Well done!
    Hope you didn't give up... I'm coming here every once in a while!!
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    oh my !! What a fabulous work ! <3
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Love this!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • PC5337PC5337 Posts: 54 Member
    Please tell us that you are still working on this!! <3
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I think adding Willow Creek to this map could be really interesting as well, even though Sims 4 is an AU.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,988 Member
    @karon,
    That's an interesting idea, but might not even be manageable. Remaking the Sims 4 worlds in Sims 3 is another project in and of itself. Besides, Morningstar is going to have enough trouble as it is, putting all of these Sims 1 and Sims 2 neighborhoods on the same map.
    edited July 2020
    @Damienf519 I was thinking about just Willow Creek itself. The commercial area fits perfectly behind Goth Sr. mansion from Sims 1, as an example. And the Spencer-Kim-Lewis area to the other side of SIms 1 town. But, yeah, I think @Morningstar isn't even working on it anymore.
    Too bad if you’re right @Karon, since I was really looking forward to this one
    me too @Damienf519 i bet this one would be on the top 10 most popular worlds between simmers.
    @Karon
    Maybe they ran into too many frame rate issues or something. I just had to delete a bunch of the residential lots in the world I’m currently working on because of lag, and I have a really fast computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top