Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regular townies turning into spellcasters?

Comments

• doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @fullspiral People are... Odd and want the pack for build mode content and whine about fantasy plaguing them when they bought a fantasy dlc

I mean I kinda understand that since most people during the Sims 3 days bought store sets and all, sometimes you just want a pretty wallpaper or window to build with.
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    edited September 2019
    EdithV wrote: »
    SiliClone wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »
    I have installed the mod to prevent premades being turned into Spellcasters. Before I installed it, I did meet Moira Fyres walking in Glimmerbrook. It looked like she was coming from the Portal.

09-10-19-4-37-44-PM.png

She is a played character of mine, and she was NOT turned into a Spellcaster. I am pretty appalled at the situational outfit the game made her wear though. Eyeball ring and everything.

If she had been turned, I would have been OK with it in her case. I mean she is a freelance botanist, and in my game has studied herbology. She could easily have made a wrong turn heading to Granite Falls. Had it been Don Lothario, for example, I would not have been happy.

Which mod is that? I installed a mod but so far I'm still getting randomly generated townies as spellcasters

It's called "Don't Turn My Sims Into Spellcasters" by Zero.

Thanks! I have that mod installed but i'm still getting random spellcasters, but I actually quite like it, as long as I'm not over run by them it's quite fun and makes sense my sims wouldn't be the only ones.

Random generated spellcasters are by desing.. I didn't touch that part in the mod, the venue requires those otherwise it would be empty. Still, if you have enough mages the game will stop generating them (around 12 are enough)

Sorry I meant that the game is still randomly turning premades into spellcasters. I delete all the random sims in household management anyway

As @SiliClone suggested, I created 2 familys of 8 x spellcasters each and put them into the world (unplayed) but I forgot about evicting them and just having them currently not in world. That's ok though for now, so far I've only seem them in the Magic Realm, and the other "played" spellcaster I have in the game. I have not seen any other played sims or premades in the realm as yet, fingers crossed.

EDIT: I just thought I would add, that I have indeed seen other premades in the realm now having played a while. Johnny Zest, and one of the ones from Sulani, it doesn't bother me cause I'm sure adding the spellcasting families has slowed it down instead of turning the whole towns lol, but yeah maybe it's random?
    Post edited by Dglbr1969 on
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »

As @SiliClone suggested, I created 2 familys of 8 x spellcasters each and put them into the world (unplayed) but I forgot about evicting them and just having them currently not in world. That's ok though for now, so far I've only seem them in the Magic Realm, and the other "played" spellcaster I have in the game. I have not seen any other played sims or premades in the realm as yet, fingers crossed.

EDIT: I just thought I would add, that I have indeed seen other premades in the realm now having played a while. Johnny Zest, and one of the ones from Sulani, it doesn't bother me cause I'm sure adding the spellcasting families has slowed it down instead of turning the whole towns lol, but yeah maybe it's random?

That was one of the first things I tried in my game, and on multiple visits... yeah unless you have the mod it will start drawing from the premades eventually again.

I’ve been calculating and testing it in my current spellcaster save, and from what I can tell you need at least several teen spellcasters, several elders, and double the amount of adults. Initially I tried two 8 sim households with a mix of YA, A, and Elders and that was a mild success until my third visit where I stayed for 8 sim hours, enough for the Sims to tire and cycle out, and living in Glimmerbrook sims to trigger some spawning as well when it comes to randomized sims.

Gonna try another save with like, 16 YA sims, 8 A, 8 E, and 8 teens and see if that does it. 😩 although at this point I’m more just trying to prevent too many randomized spawns since I got the mod.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited September 2019
    I like the magic stuff but I don't like randomly generated spell casters and the pre made sims automatically turned into the spell casters. I know they won't use magic out of the magic world but I still can interact conversation about magic or potion with them at the oasis springs lounge which means they are still spell casters outside of the magic world.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Unplayed Sims, or Sims from the other worlds, should not be randomly assigned the Spellcaster trait. Isn't part of the fun having the abilty to create our own Sims to fill these roles rather than having the game decide how we play our games? A toggle for this should have been in the pack for the players who don't want to use mods. This little 'feature', along with one or two more, are responsible for me holding off on buying RoM. I am a micro-manager with storylines and backstories for all my played Sims and I don't care for the fact so much control of my game is being taken from me. Is it little wonder some of us rely so heavily on mods? MCCC has been a lifesaver when it comes to taking back control of my game. Not all of us want occults running rampant in the game. One or two occult beings in one save is a novelty. Ten to twenty occult beings in a save is annoying. And breaks my immersion. I realize many do not feel this way. I understand that. But this has been a huge problem not only with RoM but with other packs as well. And don't get me started on the situational outfits that every Sim, played or not, has to wear in every combination imaginable from every pack we own.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I had to delete alot of my households from the game because they were turning into spellcasters. I would like to have the options to have a variety of unique households, not just Spellcasters dictated into my non - magical households.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    There is SO MUCH INFORMATION here. I'm confused. Maybe someone could answer this question.

If I load an old save (pre-ROM), and I never visit Glimmerbrook and never go to Manage Households to delete anyone, will townies be turned into spellcasters?
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2019
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Nope started playing 4 last year and didn't hang out with community again till this pack

It's a ton. People who don't want occults but want the packs rule and get their way and things have changed so much in the game from the original intentions of the packs. Those of us who want the weird and wacky and pay full price for it based on a promise of delivery have been shafted when those things get "tweaked" because of doll-housers. It's been happening since GTW and aliens.

You know what is hilarious about this, simmers DO want occults, it's just the portion of the community that is anti occult is simply more persistent about whining until a SimGuru's head explodes, and they get their nerfing muggle way. On the 20th of March, SimGuruLyndsey released the pack statistics based on how many people used them the first year they were out and Vampires was #2 out of the 7 Game Packs that were then available as choices. Strangerville had only been out for a month at this time, but that was the only game pack that wasn't getting the fair year shake. For me, this definitely indicated a market for occults in the game. I hope she does another breakdown after RoM has been out for a little while, because I think it will do extremely well, too.

I've put up with so many inconsequential packs by this point, that people whining about occults does push my buttons. I have rolled with this painfully dull creepy Stepford Wives version of The Sims since release, and I think I have been a down right stellar champ about being constructive with my criticisms. It's getting better, it really is, but it has been a painfully slow ball to get rolling. I've let other people have their fun as world after world was rehashed with various versions of white picket fence modern day era living over... and over... and over... and freaking over again... I was patient... and they finally tossed me a bone with vampires, I was ecstatic. I waited patiently through that rage induced debacle as people voiced their rabid prejudices against vampires, and now that we have casters, here it comes again. For the love of pink plumbobs, calm your Crumplebottom shoe laces. You have a million other neighborhoods to choose from, seriously, skip the dang pack if you are really that anti-caster. It's like buying red stilettos and then complaining the heel is too high. No... really? You think?! It's even in a llama loving Game Pack, so it's not like you're missing out on a major Expansion Pack. Who orders steak when they're a vegetarian for the side of salad? How much sense does that make? Seriously, skip the dang pack like I have skipped countless packs that came before this one because they were not what I was looking for! I'm not normally one to argue that angle, but I can't turn off cats and dogs, I can't toggle off toddlers spewing forth their never ending paint and powder all over my house, but I don't complain and try to ruin what gives other simmers happy rainbows and fuzzy feel goods. I don't pee on your parade, stop peeing on mine!

Now, there are legitimate complaints here. As far as the weird situational outfits in The Realm are concerned, I agree those are rubbish. I don't see why on earth the outfits I dressed my sims in, or the outfits the townie sims are already wearing, aren't good enough to pass go through the magic portal. That is silly, and I agree on that front. I don't really care if premades cycle in as spell casters, but I can see how that might get people's goats, but if you stay out of the RoM portal, you're never going to see your precious premades casting spells. I've dueled Bella Goth in RoM at least 10 times now, but when I have seen her at San Myshuno festivals or elsewhere in the world, I have never seen her cast a spell... not once. She doesn't even cast spells when I invite her over for dinner. So to me, this plays into the secret society hidden spellcaster thing that I have going for her. However, if you never went to RoM, you wouldn't know she was into that sort of :gasp: occult lifestyle choice. The only thing that breaks my immersion, is the horrible outfit she wears in RoM where we duel. lol That being said, I can see value of being able to disable any sims that exist in your neighborhoods from being part of the RoM spell casting crowd unless you designate them as a spell caster. Options are good, and while I don't need this, I can see how a little more control here would be helpful for players.

I do wish Maxis would implement an occult toggle, just so I wouldn't have to read people's blind prejudice and hate speech against occults, but as it stands, that's not an option yet. So unless your complaint is one of the two above, you can go stick your head in your Laundry Stuff Pack dryer and select hit high heat.
    tumblr_py32cn8vqJ1vorh5do4_1280.jpg
    Post edited by Ceres_Meiriona on
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »

That was one of the first things I tried in my game, and on multiple visits... yeah unless you have the mod it will start drawing from the premades eventually again.

I’ve been calculating and testing it in my current spellcaster save, and from what I can tell you need at least several teen spellcasters, several elders, and double the amount of adults. Initially I tried two 8 sim households with a mix of YA, A, and Elders and that was a mild success until my third visit where I stayed for 8 sim hours, enough for the Sims to tire and cycle out, and living in Glimmerbrook sims to trigger some spawning as well when it comes to randomized sims.

Gonna try another save with like, 16 YA sims, 8 A, 8 E, and 8 teens and see if that does it. 😩 although at this point I’m more just trying to prevent too many randomized spawns since I got the mod.

Ahh, Yes it makes sense about the time in the Realm, cause sims travel back n forth all the time. I didn't create the age spread, hence why one of the elders and one of the townies from Sulani is there too, mmm. I dont think I have a lot, although I do have Amun Bheeda as a teen there, as his mother was there in the beginning when she was pregnant, that's interesting isn't it? I can't recall seeing as many as my starting test save, where it just drew a lot of them. Cassandra, Alexander, the teens as well as adults. Let us know how you go!
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Okay, while it was fun in my testing save to see Nina Calliente, Zoe Patel, and one of the guys from the spinmasters as spellcasters, I've added 18 new spellcasters to my Legacy save mostly to see how many are used. I have an even split of male and female, and with the exception of YA and Teen (a brother-sister family I added for story reasons) we've got 4 of each - Teen, YA, Adult, and Elder.

I'm about to send my first family member into the realm of magic.... (I'm several generations removed from the initial premade families, so I don't expect to see any core game premades in here. Maybe some from Windenberg and San Myshuno, since I got those most recently.) I'll report back on how many I see...
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Okay, while it was fun in my testing save to see Nina Calliente, Zoe Patel, and one of the guys from the spinmasters as spellcasters, I've added 18 new spellcasters to my Legacy save mostly to see how many are used. I have an even split of male and female, and with the exception of YA and Teen (a brother-sister family I added for story reasons) we've got 4 of each - Teen, YA, Adult, and Elder.

I'm about to send my first family member into the realm of magic.... (I'm several generations removed from the initial premade families, so I don't expect to see any core game premades in here. Maybe some from Windenberg and San Myshuno, since I got those most recently.) I'll report back on how many I see...

Cool, will be interesting as you have a good mix!
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member

Ooooh, I like! Thank you for testing this out more thoroughly. You are awesome!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    edited September 2019
    So, I forgot that they get silly outfits in the Magical realm... which, as I'd mostly just randomized the names, made it difficult to track said newly made spellcasters.

Still, it looked to be about half to two-thirds my seeder spellcasters and the rest randomly pulled and/or system created. However, at no time was there more than maybe ten spellcasters in the realm, at least that I saw. So I'm not sure why it was drawing from the general population.

Now, I was in play for almost a week and a half sim-time before I sent my girl there, so it's possible that the game had already flagged some of the rest of the population as spellcasters.

Edit - I don't plan to go back to the Magical realm for a couple of sim-days (and possibly not until tomorrow real time) but I think maybe I'll go change all of my sample caster's hair to bright blue or something, so I can track them easier.
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I don't mind occult showing up in the real world from time to time, alien abductions and vampire breakins. However, I don't want my existing townies and premades becomming spellcasters. It's the same with situational outfits. I make all of my townies, and I don't want to see their personalities ruined by them using magic or dressing in a wrestling mask. The game should spawn new spellcasters just like every other occult. They wouldn't get away with randomly turning pre-mades into vampires, so why is it okay with witches?
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I just started a new save because I just want a world with more occult sims of my choosing, but almost every normal sim has turned into a Spellcaster. I think, like GF, there should of been a “game option” in turning off spell casting for the general population. I think, like many others on here, that it should be something that we decide. And because of the push of random spell casters, I had to download a bunch of witches/wizards from the gallery and place them just to stop the insanity of generation and assignment...Bob pancakes, Katrina Caliente, Mortimer Goth, Jasminder Beheeda, and many others all became spell casters....And let me tell you, it’s quite a hassle having to go activate every household to remove that trait.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't mind having spellcasters in my saves but I don't like having the pre-made townies becoming spellcasters because even though they don't autonomously practice magic outside the realm, they will have the occult status and I have my MCC settings set so that my townies get married and have children, it's annoying when Bob and Eliza suddenly have a spellcaster child and I can't change them back to normal sims because Sims 4 doesn't allow me to change a sim from an occult into a normal sim in CAS .__. I hope that when MCC eventually gets updated with ROM it will bring some sort of solution to this :/
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Nope started playing 4 last year and didn't hang out with community again till this pack

It's a ton. People who don't want occults but want the packs rule and get their way and things have changed so much in the game from the original intentions of the packs. Those of us who want the weird and wacky and pay full price for it based on a promise of delivery have been shafted when those things get "tweaked" because of doll-housers. It's been happening since GTW and aliens.

You know what is hilarious about this, simmers DO want occults, it's just the portion of the community that is anti occult is simply more persistent about whining until a SimGuru's head explodes, and they get their nerfing muggle way. On the 20th of March, SimGuruLyndsey released the pack statistics based on how many people used them the first year they were out and Vampires was #2 out of the 7 Game Packs that were then available as choices. Strangerville had only been out for a month at this time, but that was the only game pack that wasn't getting the fair year shake. For me, this definitely indicated a market for occults in the game. I hope she does another breakdown after RoM has been out for a little while, because I think it will do extremely well, too.

I've put up with so many inconsequential packs by this point, that people whining about occults does push my buttons. I have rolled with this painfully dull creepy Stepford Wives version of The Sims since release, and I think I have been a down right stellar champ about being constructive with my criticisms. It's getting better, it really is, but it has been a painfully slow ball to get rolling. I've let other people have their fun as world after world was rehashed with various versions of white picket fence modern day era living over... and over... and over... and freaking over again... I was patient... and they finally tossed me a bone with vampires, I was ecstatic. I waited patiently through that rage induced debacle as people voiced their rabid prejudices against vampires, and now that we have casters, here it comes again. For the love of pink plumbobs, calm your Crumplebottom shoe laces. You have a million other neighborhoods to choose from, seriously, skip the dang pack if you are really that anti-caster. It's like buying red stilettos and then complaining the heel is too high. No... really? You think?! It's even in a llama loving Game Pack, so it's not like you're missing out on a major Expansion Pack. Who orders steak when they're a vegetarian for the side of salad? How much sense does that make? Seriously, skip the dang pack like I have skipped countless packs that came before this one because they were not what I was looking for! I'm not normally one to argue that angle, but I can't turn off cats and dogs, I can't toggle off toddlers spewing forth their never ending paint and powder all over my house, but I don't complain and try to ruin what gives other simmers happy rainbows and fuzzy feel goods. I don't pee on your parade, stop peeing on mine!

Now, there are legitimate complaints here. As far as the weird situational outfits in The Realm are concerned, I agree those are rubbish. I don't see why on earth the outfits I dressed my sims in, or the outfits the townie sims are already wearing, aren't good enough to pass go through the magic portal. That is silly, and I agree on that front. I don't really care if premades cycle in as spell casters, but I can see how that might get people's goats, but if you stay out of the RoM portal, you're never going to see your precious premades casting spells. I've dueled Bella Goth in RoM at least 10 times now, but when I have seen her at San Myshuno festivals or elsewhere in the world, I have never seen her cast a spell... not once. She doesn't even cast spells when I invite her over for dinner. So to me, this plays into the secret society hidden spellcaster thing that I have going for her. However, if you never went to RoM, you wouldn't know she was into that sort of :gasp: occult lifestyle choice. The only thing that breaks my immersion, is the horrible outfit she wears in RoM where we duel. lol That being said, I can see value of being able to disable any sims that exist in your neighborhoods from being part of the RoM spell casting crowd unless you designate them as a spell caster. Options are good, and while I don't need this, I can see how a little more control here would be helpful for players.

I do wish Maxis would implement an occult toggle, just so I wouldn't have to read people's blind prejudice and hate speech against occults, but as it stands, that's not an option yet. So unless your complaint is one of the two above, you can go stick your head in your Laundry Stuff Pack dryer and select hit high heat.

You take how I feel and put it so eloquently. It’s like we are the same person.

—T
    Update (ish) on my experiments with Spellcaster townies.

After two more trips into the Magical realm - it still looks to be about 60% pre-designated spellcasters and 40% drawn from existing sim pool. On the second trip, I thought maybe it wasn't drawing any more than it already had (all of the names of sims without bright pink hair looked familiar, like I'd moused over them before) but there were two or three new ones when I went in on the third trip.

My next step is going to be to edit any seemingly random spellcater in the magic realm in CAS to have solid pink hair (or at least as solid as whatever their hairstyle allows), but I'm going to need a day when 1) I don't have other plans for my sims (which will require about 2 sim weeks, or about 2 - 3 days of play) and 2) I can start it early, as this is not a small save file and it takes it's sweet time with the loading screen, and the longer I play, the longer it takes. But this should help me find them in household management and also track if there are new sims pulled or created. Of my npc's only the Sages, the Charm household, the Amicable Acolytes (which MCCC has split) and the family I added for story will keep their designated hair colors.

(I ultimately decided to use the pink because I'm not a fan of the color and have yet to make a sim who would have pink hair, and as far as I can tell, randomly generated sims have "normal" hair colors.)

Update (ish) on my experiments with Spellcaster townies.

After two more trips into the Magical realm - it still looks to be about 60% pre-designated spellcasters and 40% drawn from existing sim pool. On the second trip, I thought maybe it wasn't drawing any more than it already had (all of the names of sims without bright pink hair looked familiar, like I'd moused over them before) but there were two or three new ones when I went in on the third trip.

My next step is going to be to edit any seemingly random spellcater in the magic realm in CAS to have solid pink hair (or at least as solid as whatever their hairstyle allows), but I'm going to need a day when 1) I don't have other plans for my sims (which will require about 2 sim weeks, or about 2 - 3 days of play) and 2) I can start it early, as this is not a small save file and it takes it's sweet time with the loading screen, and the longer I play, the longer it takes. But this should help me find them in household management and also track if there are new sims pulled or created. Of my npc's only the Sages, the Charm household, the Amicable Acolytes (which MCCC has split) and the family I added for story will keep their designated hair colors.

(I ultimately decided to use the pink because I'm not a fan of the color and have yet to make a sim who would have pink hair, and as far as I can tell, randomly generated sims have "normal" hair colors.)

Thanks for doing all this @DaWaterRat it sounds like you have a decent system going. I hope the whole world doesn't change, but I had to laugh the other day, I saw a sim swimming in the water just a sulani townie, and he waded out of the water, got on his broom and fled lol. I thought what the? :D
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I really hope this is something EA will fix. I don’t understand mods or how they work so mods is not an option for me. I would to get the pack but only if random townies or sims I want/create become spellcasters not all the sims I haven’t played with become them as I have a lot of unplayed sims as background sims in my game.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

I'm literally one of the biggest fans of occults, I've loved them since sims 2. It's why I got into The Sims series.

Why is it so wrong to not want randoms to become spellcasters without me having any control?

You say they don't cast spells outside of the magic realm, but they are still spellcasters. They will join any magic clubs you have, call you about spellcasting duels etc.

Your solution is to just avoid the magic realm, aka the whole gimmick of the pack.

Why should.i have to avoid it just to prevent random townies from becoming spell casters. Why can't the game just generate NEW ones?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    There is SO MUCH INFORMATION here. I'm confused. Maybe someone could answer this question.

If I load an old save (pre-ROM), and I never visit Glimmerbrook and never go to Manage Households to delete anyone, will townies be turned into spellcasters?

I think the way the devs have described it how it is meant to work is: if you never visit the realm (that is never go through that portal for the first time) your game will not produce spellcasters. It is only when you travel to the realm, the game is drawing the spellcasters needed so the realm doesn't feel empty when you are there. This is when they are created. That is how it is meant to work. I cannot confirm this as I have not tested with another non magic save as yet. Maybe someone else has?
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    I have two questions about the played sims and sims I have relationships with are safe situation:

Playing rotationally, families A and B (among others) are marked played. Only sims from family A have a relationship with, for example, Jacques Villareal. The Villareal in this example are unplayed.

1) When playing household A, are all the Villareal protected from becoming spellcasters or only Jacques?
    2) When playing household B (no relation to the Villareal at all), will the Villareal be in danger of getting spellcasteryfied?

It's not a big deal if both answers are not in my favor. I use mods very liberally and already have some, despite not owning RoM yet. Just curious about the nitty-gritty fineprint.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't even have this pack but yeah... why is it that all situational clothes, in all packs, are crap? I assume there is a 0% priority to this and the devs just use the same complete RNG code for all of them, basically.

At least with Mermaids there isn't much to screw up (which bikini top to use, that's it), but vampires are just as bad as spellcasters.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Anybody remember culling? If the game doesn't use available Sims it will generate randoms. Then it will hit the count cap. Then it will start culling. And then we will have a whole new thread of complaints. So be careful asking for changes because you may like what you get even less than you like what you have.