Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I am not feeling the Charm Family.

Comments

• StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I don't "feel" them either, but on the other hand I have nothing against them. They might grow on me eventually, who knows.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Honestly, my biggest issue with some of the premade sims in this pack is.. the height of their eyebrows. It's absolutely cartoonish. Off-putting.
    L. Faba is guilty of this too.
    Why the tall eyebrows?

I edited the Charm family and they look slightly better to me now. I'd post pictures if I wasn't on mobile.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    with only 5 lots I can't see me keeping any of them households or houses.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I didn't mind them, but I only play with premades when I'm testing new content and waiting for the patch fixes to hit. Then I go back to my main legacy save where not a single default townie exists. In my legacy saves, all the townies are sims that I have made, with the exception of the Goths... I did have Alexander mingle into the family tree... but he is long passed, so you won't see him walking around.

It's not that I don't like Maxis premade sims per say, it's just that I prefer my own sims over their sims. :)
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't really have an issue with anything that I can change, like the households or the lots, but what I can't get around is the world itself, Glimmerbrook. We've been asking for a more woodsy neighborhood with the lots a little more spaced out, which we got. Great Maxis, thanks. But why in the world would you add those huge driveways to a small, private neighborhood in the woods? They look and are, so out of place. And those gate columns, why? I just want some cabins in the woods where my spellcasters could live in peace and practice their magic. But there are those huge parking lots at every lot, mocking me.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    So, finally tweaked the Charm family where I like... most of them... now!

iR4cLAh.jpg

Still not happy with Darrel (his face is just... ??? Each seperate part is fine, but the way they work TOGETHER.), but I find they have more charm now.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Still not happy with Darrel (his face is just... ??? Each seperate part is fine, but the way they work TOGETHER.), but I find they have more charm now.

IMO, Darrell looks better walking away.

r7qyi5l.png

I'd know that smile anywhere! ;)
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    They look like someone pressed the random button.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    They look like someone pressed the random button.
    Honestly, even the randomized sims look much better. lol I still have to find the charm in the Charm family. Maybe they'll grow on me one day.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    Bottom of the barrel Sims and houses. Not impressed with the sims studio for pulling that stunt on us.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    So, finally tweaked the Charm family where I like... most of them... now!

iR4cLAh.jpg

Really love your makeover for them ... it gives them personality. Before they were kind of bland... more packs make a difference and a little tweaking.
    To me Darrel isn't bad the way he came other than that hair.
    egTcBMc.png
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Really love your makeover for them ... it gives them personality. Before they were kind of bland... more packs make a difference and a little tweaking.
    To me Darrel isn't bad the way he came other than that hair.

Thank you! 💚 Whenever I redesign sims I try to stay true to their style, personality traits, and facial features- just then go to town with all the packs and CC I have, and maybe tweak a few things to more match my cartoony style instead of Maxis’. (Generally this means- slightly embiggen the eyes, raise and separate the eyes a bit more, raise the mouth a bit, make the nose slightly bigger for some reason- etc.)

And that’s what I thought about Darrel too- thought he was the best of the lot. Then I went into CAS and despaired. Like, it’s weird man. All his proportions are ever so slightly OFF and the more you look at him the worse it is? His face clipped through nearly every hair I had and/or looked horrible on him. It was baffling. Because I adore his individual features! His eye shape is cool, his nose is adorable, his mouth shape is sweet, his head shape is ok- but somehow they just clash so bad.

• HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    The other household, Grace Anansi and Tomax are really great! I just wish the Charms could have been a bit more...charming. I'm also a premade lover. When a new world is introduced with a pack, I'm always most excited to see what new Sims come with it. This time around it was a pretty big letdown.

And the fact that they haven't added ANY spellcaster families/sims to the gallery, when there are so few in the actual pack, has especially bothered me.
    The other household, Grace Anansi and Tomax are really great! I just wish the Charms could have been a bit more...charming. I'm also a premade lover. When a new world is introduced with a pack, I'm always most excited to see what new Sims come with it. This time around it was a pretty big letdown.

And the fact that they haven't added ANY spellcaster families/sims to the gallery, when there are so few in the actual pack, has especially bothered me.

Yeah, I’m boggled at the lack of gallery sims. I love downloading them each pack, and normally with most packs we get a good bit. Heck, even with Strangerville we got Strange Town sims!

And considering there are at least 3 sims (the previous sages) they could add, or some of the background/dueling characters.... it’s a bummer!
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't usually feel very much for any of the premade sims. I create my own and play with them according to the ideas I had for them when they were created. For me, things like appearances can be altered and houses that are bad can be redone. What actually drives me crazy is when I see a sim I created that is supposed to be married and faithful flirting it up with a random sim when I am playing another household. Or seeing pets that I KNOW were fine when I last played them very ill when I see them in public. Or seeing a person that does not have the personality for it (in my head at least) fainting at the sight of a celebrity sim that he or she has become friends with already when they see them.

So like I said - I can forgive the appearance of some sims and houses (after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but I have a harder time with behaviours that go totally against how I have created a character to be.
  • T0xicCUpcakesT0xicCUpcakes Posts: 3 New Member
    Yeah...not a fan of them either, I like Minerva and Darrel, Gemma looks too old to be a teen...definitley giving her a CAS makeover. For the "main" household they're quite bland and boring. Not a fan at all!
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Aww I kind of like them now I've seen them about a bit, Emilia got a bit of a make over (kept those teeth though they are cool!) Daryl pulled his nose and chin out a bit so he didn't look like he'd flown his broom into a wall....didn't want that in his lore! @RobinGreenthumb not as cute as yours though sadly. @Sindocat He wasn't as stylish as yours either, so there's gonna have to be a revisit there. I like Minerva but I'm not feeling it so much for Gemma again RobinGreenthumbs is way cuter. Either way no premade will ever annoy me as much as Gavin Richards, so it has to be a thumbs up for certain members of the Charm family.... Shame the metamorphosis spell doesn't hang around for too long, I'm looking forward to turning Richards into a fish eventually....I wonder if you can mount them on the wall when you've turned them or is that a no no?
  • JediMuppetJediMuppet Posts: 98 Member
    Personally I really like them.
    It adds diversity in my neighbourhoods. I like Sims to look real and enjoy their imperfections.
    Gemma is currently the love interest to my Sims teen spellcaster son, Trillian Embergoth.
    JediMuppet wrote: »
    Personally I really like them.
    It adds diversity in my neighbourhoods. I like Sims to look real and enjoy their imperfections.
    Gemma is currently the love interest to my Sims teen spellcaster son, Trillian Embergoth.

Eh, I mean, I'm sure some people here dislike them because they are ugly, but with me personally it's more a character design issue. Their outfits are designed more to feature the pack than to display their personalities. Like Gemma is a goofball! Whodda thunk? So I brightened up some of her color palette a bit and made her make up more suitable for teens, and changed up her hair to fit her artsy goofball status. Meanwhile Darrel's face... I wouldn't even call it ugly, it's just. Why. WHat is going on with it. It really isn't bad until you stare into it in CAS for 20 minutes as you try to do something to make everything more cohesive for a character and then just. Despair.
    Bloosmoo wrote: »
    Aww I kind of like them now I've seen them about a bit, Emilia got a bit of a make over (kept those teeth though they are cool!) Daryl pulled his nose and chin out a bit so he didn't look like he'd flown his broom into a wall....didn't want that in his lore! @RobinGreenthumb not as cute as yours though sadly. I like Minerva but I'm not feeling it so much for Gemma again RobinGreenthumbs is way cuter. Shame the metamorphosis spell doesn't hang around for too long, I'm looking forward to turning Richards into a fish eventually....I wonder if you can mount them on the wall when you've turned them or is that a no no?

Awwww, thank you! Really I didn't change that much about him. I think I made his mouth a wee bit bigger and seperated his eyes further apart/raised them up slightly, and made his eyes a SMIDGE bigger. Literally a the slightest of movements or two. Most of it is skin details. It's amazing what decent looking freckles will do to a sim! (Also, sadly you cannot interact with a cursed transformed sim until the curse breaks).

But I thought y'all might like to see Gemma in full since the pic I provided up above wasn't GREAT. When I saw she was a goofball and art lover I definitely wanted to give a bit more pops in her palate. (With her, I had even LESS. Mostly just shrunk her head and swapped hairstyles.)

yVp2mw5.png

I agree with you about the gap teeth. It's one of my favorite features in the game and something that my main founder had. Freakin' adorable.

Also, for funsies I went ahead and checked out the Affable Acolytes and switched around their skin details a bit. Still tweaking Grace, but Tomax went from 'meh' to 'oooh yes excellent'. Didn't have to shift any of their features!

GERownK.png

• citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Eh, they can look pretty nice with a good makeover.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• KALIAMMAKALIAMMA Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2019
    yep theyre boring. but i like their facial features so im keeping them for a while just to make some babies lel
    i saw someone at the gallery who just turned the whole family white. yep. they made gemma charm white and called it a "makeover".
    i get it some people may not like the original family, but to go as far as to make them white? sis...
  • Sapientia_VitaSapientia_Vita Posts: 2 New Member
    Same, especially with that coconut head sim.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    KALIAMMA wrote: »
    yep theyre boring. but i like their facial features so im keeping them for a while just to make some babies lel
    i saw someone at the gallery who just turned the whole family white. yep. they made gemma charm white and called it a "makeover".
    i get it some people may not like the original family, but to go as far as to make them white? sis...

I'm sorry. I don't understand fully what the issue is. Is it because they didn't really do any change except to recolor their skin and then pass it off as their own creativity by uploading them to the gallery? I can see why that would be irritating. The gallery is supposed to be for original creations we create from scratch.

However, sometimes a skin tone change can make a bland sim go from "meh" to "WOW!" I haven't seen these particular sims with a white skin tone so I don't know if I would like the look or not. Too pale and they may look sickly - unless you are going for a very stereotypica Nordic look with pale skin, hair and eyes - which can be very dramatic looking.

I don't know though - skin color really doesn't make a difference to me too much and I have sims of all colors. I do think that more effort should be put into things we submit to the gallery than just changing a premade sims skin tone and being done with it though.
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Gave them all makeovers, linked them here. Didn't make too many changes for Minerva, but Gemma and Darrel especially were... unfortunate. Like, look at this:

eAoGgeo.jpg

From left is her original look, original look with just taking off the heavy makeup, and then my makeover (which was basically just softer hair and lowered, thicker eyebrows). The poor kid got done so dirty with her original styling.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited September 2019
    KALIAMMA wrote: »

I'm sorry. I don't understand fully what the issue is. Is it because they didn't really do any change except to recolor their skin and then pass it off as their own creativity by uploading them to the gallery? I can see why that would be irritating. The gallery is supposed to be for original creations we create from scratch.

However, sometimes a skin tone change can make a bland sim go from "meh" to "WOW!" I haven't seen these particular sims with a white skin tone so I don't know if I would like the look or not. Too pale and they may look sickly - unless you are going for a very stereotypica Nordic look with pale skin, hair and eyes - which can be very dramatic looking.

I don't know though - skin color really doesn't make a difference to me too much and I have sims of all colors. I do think that more effort should be put into things we submit to the gallery than just changing a premade sims skin tone and being done with it though.

I agree. It's hopelessly absurd to get upset over people changing the skin color of fictional characters in THEIR game that they bought. By that same logic, me making Venessa Jeong, again, a fictional character that you're supposed to do whatever you wish with, have features consistent with a black or asian woman makes me a racist. Or if I made her hair longer, I must hate people with short hair. I understand the reuploading, but who cares if they changed the skin? It's a Sim. They don't have a race to begin with.

Annoyed tangent aside, I too am disappointed with the Charm family and most of the other premades. I tried to make Gemma look decent, but I could never be satisfied with her look, so I ended up abandoning the idea. I may try to return to her again, however. And I still can't find the pale woman with the green hair in the trailer. I really wanted her.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top