Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has "family play" fallen back to the wayside? (Now with New OP)

PositivibeePositivibee Posts: 52 Member
edited November 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801025/ea-silence-on-family-play-and-family-play-fans
This thread is a continuation of the above link.
I believe that family play has again fallen by the wayside. This thread isn't about EA and Maxis' current focus (occults and builders) but on the lack of good domestic type play in general since Seasons. I myself play all types of styles so no hate on other types of gameplay.
Examples of what I'm talking about
Toddler are petty much the same as children below with the addition of lack of any new traits.
Children can't show visible occult status, have had the same 4 aspirations since launch, it's a flip of the coin if they get clothes and hair in a new pack.
Teens are basically restricted adults.
Elders, They exist?
This thread isn't exactly a complaint but an observation. Please no hate towards other types of play/players. Also no posts on preteens (and other mid-stages) as I believe that they're basically confirmed to never be in sims 4 and are basically a mashup of ways that children and teens can be improved.
I've also played every Sims game since 2000, so I know how play was in other games. This thread isn't about what made family play in the other games better or worse, the issue is sims 4 domestic play.
Would love to hear about ways you all believe family play can be improved :) .
Post edited by Positivibee on

Comments

• sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    There does seem to have been a lot of focus on occult gameplay for a long time now with the packs released.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • PositivibeePositivibee Posts: 52 Member
    I'm on mobile will edit my post when I get to my com.
    edited September 2019
    @sunblond there used to be a giant thread on this but it hasn't been posted in years. Didn't want to disobey the rules and necro it.
    Anyway I agree.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    They throw us bones every now and again, like how they included that Actor after-school activity club for kids in Get Famous.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

I really liked playing a family in Sulani, that is when I started my current family. It is just so laidback and calm there. Cute outfits for toddlers and kids as well. I would say that Island Living was good for my families.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited September 2019
    Theres maybe like a few things with family related play I'd like to see (little more with babies though they are the shortest life stage and just more activites for younger sims) improved on more but other than that I don't find it to be so empty. I mean it's been a while since there was a dedicated pack to occults as vampires was well over 2 years ago. People I see that like occults tend to usually like family play too, so it's nice to be able to make a family that you've been waiting for.

Parenthood is pretty much family related play. Then we had the toddler pack and kids room stuff which were good additions. Then with seasons and holidays being introduced feels like sims can enjoy more activities with their families.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Hmm...

I really liked playing a family in Sulani, that is when I started my current family. It is just so laidback and calm there. Cute outfits for toddlers and kids as well. I would say that Island Living was good for my families.

Can kids swim in the ocean or get on the boat things?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Its obvious family play is ignored when pack after pack ignore babies toddlers and children... Packs like Vampires and ROM completely exclude these life stages and I'm not even saying they had to do much they could of simply had toddler vampires bite a teddy bear or have magic effects around them when mad or given kids a couple spells to practice like complete school work but instead made the decision to continue the single Sim adult game.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Hmm...

They can def swim in the ocean and toddlers can play on it. Haven't tried the boat yet
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Yeah, and it's been obvious for a while. The last pack that didn't completely ignore toddlers-teens and elders was Seasons. Every other pack since then has offered them nothing in terms of new and unique gameplay. I really hope that since they got magic and soon university out the way that we'll get some more family related gameplay next year. I'd really like for the life stages to get a lot of unique gameplay to themselves so they can actually feel interesting to play, so I'm hoping for a Generations pack. And hopefully they finally do a baby overhaul since it's been highly requested.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Hmm...

I really like walking on the beach with a toddler. Thinking about moving my second generation back to Sulani now. My sims have been living in Brindleton Bay with three weeks of winter snowstorms. And 1 week left to go.

Every now and then the game invites the young couple back to the guys parents that still live in Sulani with his younger siblings and it is so difficult to go back. Ha ha, I just want to bring a tent next time.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    With parent stuff, kids stuff, toddler stuff, pets, first pets and very first pets the family theme is fleshed out to the maximum. I'm very glad about the occults and I would happily prefer another YA party pack instead of portable babies.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Do people really restrict themselves to one type of play?

I love playing families, and think they added a nice bit in Island Living for that (not as much as I would have liked, of course). But I love witches too. And I love building. And lots of other things. I just want lots of all-round stuff :)

As for family play being on the back burners, I would say it's no different to any other version of the game so I am not surprised at the small quantities we get for it. You get a little bit here and there, along with bits of occult, bits of fantasy, bits of building stuff etc, but the main concentration has always been young adults - especially female young adults. I don't see them ever changing that, even if they last through making sims 5, 6, 7 and on.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited September 2019
    Family play is my bread and butter, and as I have said elsewhere, but apparently as bears repeating, I have found TS4 as satisfactory in this regards as TS3, or moreso, even without an occult element in play.

I am used to Supernatural, but do not have aliens, vampires, mermaids, or whatever the hell is in Strangerville in my TS4 game, nor do I miss it. I have Spellcasters, now, because I like casters, and I love Art Nouveau and those Build/Buy assets were not to be missed.

But my family play has, I will say, been most rewarding. I love what Parenthood brings. I love the depth given to TS4 Toddlers and Children and Teens, their interactions across ages as siblings, and their interactions at all ages with their parents.

My 2nd Gen Heir still visits his folks often. He is still close with his brothers, and when I am playing his Household, they all are frequent visitors as well. My youngest 2nd Gen Spare is to remain a teen, for the time being, but the older spare is about to age up and move out - to Glimmerbrook, as it happens.

In my case, and I realize this is not a universal sentiment, occult play and family play are not mutually exclusive sets.

edit - a cap from my most recent play session. I did not pose it. Bhakti, the older teen in the black tank, chose to bring his homework outside to sit with Chance, in stripes, who was journaling through an upsetting day at school. I don't have to push my family to do this. They just do. They are very close.

kNwHO5q.png

Yeah, I do not see any kind of opposition between occult and familyplay because that is what I do. Occult familyplay.

For me any kind of pack that gets me inspired is going to playing and I love occult sims so that really gets me into familyplay if that is what I am in the mood for. When Vampires came out I was still really missing playing MMO's and doing raids with my guildmates so there where a lot of vampires sparring for some weeks there. StrangerVille, Sulani and ROM actually made start playing families again. I tried to get a family going for a story about a armybrat that escapes the nowhere-ville with creepy neighbors but my main sim never found a guy that she clicked with. Oh well, she found him when Sulani came out and now everything is golden because I finally got magic!

The thing that we did get especially for familyplay in ROM, the different bloodlines and the ability to pass on magical talent in some way is pretty cool. It is just that we did not get any specific object outside the awesome bassinet and no animations. However, that does not mean that ROM does not make me feel like familyplay. I will play spellcaster-families for a long long time.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Is this because kids, toddlers received nothing in RoM? I agree those ages having nothing is a gross negligence. Children could have gotten 2-3spells toddlers 1-2 which always go wrong because they're toddlers. Could have done a great story room toddlers through adult becoming a spellcaster. And if not toddlers, as least children should be able to us magic.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    vikinglexi wrote: »
    It seems to me that us family players have been pushed back to the backburner.
    Its like let's give ya'll toddlers and a few packs are you satisfied now? Can we just ignore your requests again now?
    It just seems that way to me that's all...

I rarely play households larger than one or two. When I do play families it feels like I need mods to play a family the way I really want to. There aren't enough actions for kids. I would love to have more toys, playground equipment, interactions for kids, teens and each individual life stage that is unique to that life stage. Like a single adult-like Mila Munch wishing to find a decent person to marry and voicing it to friends. Elder sims being able to play with the grandkids or tell them a story as a way to pass on wisdom to the younger generation.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I don't think so. Sure, each pack could include more for toddlers and kids but I don't see how family play additions in TS4 can be reduced to "toddlers and some stuff" only.

My gameplay is a mix but a lot of it is family play. I have families that are close, spend time together, talk to each other, there's rarely a time when I have to make them sit at the table for a meal or feel like any member of a family is set aside. More is always good, of course, but I don't agree with the "there's nothing for families in TS4" complaint. There certainly is for me. And magic is part of that family play (can't wait to start including it in my main save) for me, so it's not an either/or situation.
    I actually approve of Spellcaster power being restricted to Teen-Elder. Younger kids have their own mode of play, adequate for the amount of time they spend at that age. Teens are adults-in-training. Picking up magic then makes sense to me.
    drakharis wrote: »
    I rarely play households larger than one or two. When I do play families it feels like I need mods to play a family the way I really want to. There aren't enough actions for kids. I would love to have more toys, playground equipment, interactions for kids, teens and each individual life stage that is unique to that life stage. Like a single adult-like Mila Munch wishing to find a decent person to marry and voicing it to friends. Elder sims being able to play with the grandkids or tell them a story as a way to pass on wisdom to the younger generation.

I feel like Parenthood covers all of that nicely. Yard space is at a premium. Monkey bars for motor skill + fun works on tight lots where swings and slides would not fit. My founders live in Oasis Springs. Uncover the sandy soil, and it is a natural sandbox. The pirate ship and space ship are neat! I'd have loved to have had either to play on as a child (the space ship, especially - I was exactly the right age to go gaga for Star Wars).
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited September 2019
    I enjoy both family and occult play, especially together. I was disappointed to learn that toddler/child sims have once again been left out of occult play in RoM. Some cute little magic spells/animations for them would have been nice. I feel both family and occult play have had little attention (occults even less so actually). I hope to see more focus on relationships and family/groups, all life stages (not just YA females), and occult sims. We all have our own play styles and I want a good balance to support this.
    I have to say, as an occult player, I'm a little taken aback by some of the hostility here. Occult players have been just as denied our play style as family players. Before Realm of Magic, the last major game pack we got was Vampires back in 2017. We don't consider Strangerville to be occult as the possessed Sims weren't a new life state. Mermaids were part of a bigger pack.

Not to mention, we were constantly put down by the realism players who would scream "THIS IS A LIFE SIMULATOR!!!! GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE IF YOU WANT WITCHES!!!"
    (Op here) Believe it or not I'm an occult player too. I just made an observation and am not liking the seeming occult bashing. I'll add that to op when I get home.
  • AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    sunblond wrote: »
    There does seem to have been a lot of focus on occult gameplay for a long time now with the packs released.

...ehehe... hahaha....ahaha.. ha.. BWAHAHA... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA... ha... ha... *coughs* sorry.. just laughing at that joke about occults being given attention

But yeah
    There is room for a lot of improvements especially for the kid life stage where they really should be able to do significantly more.
    I don't mean to say I disapprove of more family content - more is always welcome! Just to be clear. But I took a LONG time to migrate from TS3, because I enjoyed it, especially my families. I am enjoying them in TS4 as much or more. My founders are my original TS3 couple, who never did the family thing there. I remade them for TS4, minus their unavailable occult lifestates, and while they look different, their personalities translated spookily well. Like, they feel like the same couple. It's been fun to have them raise kids.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I actually play more families when I have the things in place that I need my adults to do (or anyone old enough to be a caregiver). I noticed this with Strangerville because I wanted to make a strict military dad and his kids. Then I made a possessed mom and her child (decided to leave dad out of the picture). Then when IL came I really enjoyed playing the premade families ... the family with the little boy especially and he was off swimming and playing in the sand regularly.
    I think a good foundation has been set with Parenthood.. and believe more packs will come that have more child focused elements than others. I wouldn't even rule out that there wouldn't be any more child centered packs in the future. To me it's all just juggling what the overall community needs and expects in their game. Sometimes you get something specific to your playstyle, sometimes you just get another setting to play it out in and sometimes you get much more.
    I'm not surprised children didn't get magical powers... vamp children don't have much either other than cosmetic additons. I would have loved magical powers on children though.. and will probably mod it in eventually. I just don't think they are going to change much on the way they are doing occults this time around.
    egTcBMc.png