Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to The Sims?

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    EA supports Girls who Code - don't forget that....

And that's great. Coding has been the boys' club for far too long (considering it didn't even start as such historically). But it has zero to do with how The Sims is perceived in the industry, how it's marketed, or who the execs think plays it. Sure, they get more girls into programming but it's going to take a while for those girls to make a difference to gaming.

Hopefully, the change will happen sooner than I'm expecting.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I get a bit annoyed at all the disparaging comments about 'teenage girls'. Girls, on the whole, are more mature and make better decisions than their male counterparts of the same age. Nor do I agree with the notion that violent games that prioritise hand-eye coordination and competition are more valid than games that foster storytelling and creativity.

If there's a failure in the Sims' arc, it's that they're trying to be too many things to too many people. It was never meant to be a role-playing game (from Will Wright's own words). There are dozens of games that allow players to run hotels or stores or be doctors, and they do it well because that's their purpose and function. I'd rather see the developers focus on what is unique to The Sims - family and social life. The girls have it right - it's the rest of the players who have forgotten what the game is supposed to be about.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited September 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don’t want them to support ‘girls’, coding or not coding. I want them to support people all ages who play.

Exactly this.

I don’t care if they do. Means nothing.

This has went off topic. Not calling you out JoAnne. Just making an observation.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    A lot of The Sims 2 and The Sims 3’s advertisements felt more geared to attract younger girls, but the quality of the game was better than it is now. I don’t think people give that demographic enough credit; a lot of females play the same games that males do, and recognize when something isn’t up to standard.

What if it’s just the fact the game lacks quality?
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Precisely. It’s targeted at teens but they aren’t the direct problem. The game is.
  • Options
    A lot of The Sims 2 and The Sims 3’s advertisements felt more geared to attract younger girls, but the quality of the game was better than it is now. I don’t think people give that demographic enough credit; a lot of females play the same games that males do, and recognize when something isn’t up to standard.

Well, yeah. But as we talked about before, the game lacks quality almost on purpose (from EA, that is) because it's considered not worth the effort and investment from the money-holders.

It's not the audience that's the problem, it's what people who make the decisions about the game think about what they think is the audience that is the key.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

Well, yeah. But as we talked about before, the game lacks quality almost on purpose (from EA, that is) because it's considered not worth the effort and investment from the money-holders.

It's not the audience that's the problem, it's what people who make the decisions about the game think about what they think is the audience that is the key.

The game lacks quality because people keep buying the low quality stuff... EA will do anything it can get away with and if they could charge you for simply starting the game (and people would actually pay for it), they would.
    raw
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    I studied game development and one of my teachers worked for EA during the end of the sims 2 and most of sims 3. And he told us that EA doesn't care about the sims at all. The sims are mostly their cash cow to finance their other games. But they don't care about the game in itself. They know it will sell no matter what. And it does because there is no other game like the Sims on the market. The sims makes a lot of money but only a tiny portion of that money is kept for the game. All the rest is used to finance EA's other games. The sims 4 budget is actually ridiculous. Which explains the lack of quality. And it's not gonna get better because EA truly doesn't care about this game. It's even a joke in the gaming industry. A "girl's game"....

It's quite sad and I had to pretend I didn't like this game otherwise no one would have taken me seriously.

My Husband works in the industry and I can believe this, the sims is seen as a bit of a joke (won’t even tell you what they think of EA) in his work place. I’m in many other “hardcore” gaming communities and I don’t often reveal I’m a simmer nor do I often reveal I’m female as that can be held against you. Sad but true.

It’s a fact though that EA have deliberately targeted teenage girls with the Sims 4.

It's because the game is consider a virtual doll house,and girls are the most that plays it.Its like teenagers (Mostly girls) .Are going to buy it no matter what.
  • Options
    I don’t want them to support ‘girls’, coding or not coding. I want them to support people all ages who play.

Exactly this.

I don’t care if they do. Means nothing.

This has went off topic. Not calling you out JoAnne. Just making an observation.

I really hate these publicity stunts.That getting girls code.I mean nothing stopping a girl to code.How about we support people who are interesting to code to code.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »

The game lacks quality because people keep buying the low quality stuff... EA will do anything it can get away with and if they could charge you for simply starting the game (and people would actually pay for it), they would.

Exactly ! The problem isn't that its gearing towards girls.The problem is that people keep buying low quality products which EA dosent see that needs to change.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »

What you say is true, the bolded even more so.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I sadly don't usually have anything positive to say concerning the quality of TS4. It is refreshing though to see that less than two weeks after this thread was posted sharing a gamechanger's insight, they have actually fixed a couple of issues. Specifically, making the kitchen counter colors match and the height of columns to match the height of the wall.

I've often wondered why they call gamechangers "game changers" when I don't usually see anything getting changed for the better. It is good to see EA/Maxis responding to a reported problem so quickly. Now if only we could see them improve quality control to the point where fixes aren't such a common necessity these days.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Has a mod been shadow-deleting posts?!?

I notice the thread looks a little shorter.
    raw
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

Look I am pretty critical of game changers but that was uncalled for in my opinion. I actually want them to be more critical because they are our best chance at getting things done at this point. I get annoyed when it is all sunshine and roses because it isn’t.

We can’t knock them for saying all the positives and none of the negatives and when they are critical knock them for that too. I say cut the guy some slack he had valid critiques in his video.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    keekee53 wrote: »

Look I am pretty critical of game changers but that was uncalled for in my opinion. I actually want them to be more critical because they are our best chance at getting things done at this point. I get annoyed when it is all sunshine and roses because it isn’t.

We can’t knock them for saying all the positives and none of the negatives and when they are critical knock them for that too. I say cut the guy some slack he had valid critiques in his video.

Are you saying you would prefer to be publicly embarrassed by your loved ones instead of privately addressed? Really - you think that is a great thing to do?

Reprimanding and publicly embarrassing someone that one proclaims to love or care about is not a sign of affection from what I was taught - That is not love.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

Are you saying you would prefer to be publicly embarrassed by your loved ones instead of privately addressed? Really - you think that is a great thing to do?

Reprimanding and publicly embarrassing someone that one proclaims to love or care about is not a sign of affection from what I was taught - That is not love.

That's a bit of an extreme comparison. The Game Changers are in no way Maxis's "loved ones". They're players like everyone else in the first place and have every right to speak their mind in public. What that person was saying to James was: be quiet and don't complain at all, which is absolutely not okay. And you can love and enjoy a thing and still be objective and recognize things that could be better.

GCs not only have their own thoughts about the game - good and bad, thoughts they say on a smaller scale throughout their videos anyway - but they also know what their viewers think, good and bad, from comments and twitter replies etc. If you really think they're supposed to only praise the game, how are they meant to live up to the "changers" part?

Criticism, especially constructive, is how something gets better. And while a big part of the GC program is to show off the game to an audience that EA might not have, in a way that they can't, another big part is very much letting them know what can be improved. That tweet asking him to just be quiet and not do anything was uncalled for and wrong.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2019

No, it’s not love, for love has got absolutely nothing to do with this. It’s an agreement. EA pays, the gamechanger sells the game. That’s the whole concept. A gamechanger who explains - with arguments - why we, the players, are not getting what we should get for our money, is living up to his title. That’s all. EA is a company. Not a person.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

No, it’s not love, for love has got absolutely nothing to do with this. It’s an agreement. EA pays, the gamechanger sells the game. That’s the whole concept. A gamechanger who explains - with arguments - why we, the players, are not getting what we should get for our money, is living up to his title. That’s all. EA is a company. Not a person.

Not to mention, if not for James (a very popular Game Changer) EA might never have made the corrections. Sometimes putting someone on blast is exactly what's required to achieve a result.

Remember the ball pit? That went live, as is. Whoever okayed the pack must have known that the quality was sub-standard. If not for the public outcry, it would still look as it did at launch.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I'm glad more people are finally speaking up about it, even if some feel the Game Changers should basically lie and pretend all is fine, but there have been these little careless to big careless mistakes for a while now extending beyond this game and nothing really gets done because some people will buy anyway, because it's such a small issue it's only noticed when you play a way that incorporates it, because it's not that big a deal the player can fix it, or because a modder will fix it. They don't have any incentive to fix things because others will do it for them or players will give them a pass.

I was reading the comments in one of those videos shared before and someone said that during a live stream one guru apparently said they leave builds the way they do for the lilsimsie's of the world? Really? I hope that isn't true but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it is. By that logic they don't fix things in the game for the twallan's of the world either. Lilsimsie made a point, all of them did actually, but it really stuck with me when she said that she can fix all the careless mistakes and it's fine but why should she have to? This has been something that's been pondered about beyond The Sims 4 as well. Yeah, we can download this mod to fix X or use this workaround to fix Y, fix Z ourselves, but why should we have to when we paid for the product from EA and Maxis? Why aren't they concerned with the quality of the content they release?

It's one thing to expect off the bat we're not going to like premade sims or homes because certain things just aren't our taste but we expect problems with every new patch or pack released. It's one thing for a CC maker or modder or someone just posting stuff in the gallery to release things with bugs or mistakes but for the offical creators of the game, who are supposed to be held to a higher standard to do it repeatedly with occasional fixes that may break something else if they ever try to fix something? And to have continuously, throughout multiple iterations done it to the point where some players rely on and have more faith in modders and CC makers than EA? That's a problem and they need to do better.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options

Exactly. It’s got NOTHING to do with love. What a bizarre concept. This isn’t love. It’s business. EA don’t give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about many of their game changers. I have personal experience of that with a few friends in the programme. It’s not love and it’s ridiculous to even make the correlation.

The person tweeting what they did to James is essentially saying: “Please lie to me” and that’s a whole other bizarre concept.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2019

Exactly. It’s got NOTHING to do with love. What a bizarre concept. This isn’t love. It’s business. EA don’t give a plum about many of their game changers. I have personal experience of that with a few friends in the programme. It’s not love and it’s ridiculous to even make the correlation.

The person tweeting what they did to James is essentially saying: “Please lie to me” and that’s a whole other bizarre concept.
    Yeah publicly embarrassing James and telling him to lie is not love. I mean we all know what happened last time influencers admitted to lying to their community. Why repeat history? If you have to lie to someone family or not, it is not love, but selfishness.

Last time I checked, lying to your community isn't part of the job description for the game changer:
    https://wildlyminiaturesandwich.tumblr.com/post/187634181751/how-did-you-become-an-ea-game-changer-what-are

Also if any Simmer has to lie about the Sims 4 being a good game, it is a fake game isn't it, not an authentically good game? Sorry anyone who thinks lying about game changers liking the Sims 4 makes me question whether they really enjoy playing the game or not. If you like it, like it, but don't encourage lying about it. It just makes Sims fans look bad and look like liars. I rather a Simmer like the game for the game being a good game to play and entertaining rather than forcing game changers to like it and lie about it. Bad enough Simmers can't escape lying in the real world let alone the Sims community and this is supposed to be a game provide escape from all the bad in the world. Why encourage lying is beyond me.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I'm glad more people are finally speaking up about it, even if some feel the Game Changers should basically lie and pretend all is fine, but there have been these little careless to big careless mistakes for a while now extending beyond this game and nothing really gets done because some people will buy anyway, because it's such a small issue it's only noticed when you play a way that incorporates it, because it's not that big a deal the player can fix it, or because a modder will fix it. They don't have any incentive to fix things because others will do it for them or players will give them a pass.

I was reading the comments in one of those videos shared before and someone said that during a live stream one guru apparently said they leave builds the way they do for the lilsimsie's of the world? Really? I hope that isn't true but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it is. By that logic they don't fix things in the game for the twallan's of the world either. Lilsimsie made a point, all of them did actually, but it really stuck with me when she said that she can fix all the careless mistakes and it's fine but why should she have to? This has been something that's been pondered about beyond The Sims 4 as well. Yeah, we can download this mod to fix X or use this workaround to fix Y, fix Z ourselves, but why should we have to when we paid for the product from EA and Maxis? Why aren't they concerned with the quality of the content they release?

It's one thing to expect off the bat we're not going to like premade sims or homes because certain things just aren't our taste but we expect problems with every new patch or pack released. It's one thing for a CC maker or modder or someone just posting stuff in the gallery to release things with bugs or mistakes but for the offical creators of the game, who are supposed to be held to a higher standard to do it repeatedly with occasional fixes that may break something else if they ever try to fix something? And to have continuously, throughout multiple iterations done it to the point where some players rely on and have more faith in modders and CC makers than EA? That's a problem and they need to do better.
    I indeed hope that isn’t true because that would be very dismissive and disdainful. Towards lilsimsie and her very justified complaints and towards simmers in general, who pay for what they deliver and may expect something in return.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I indeed hope that isn’t true because that would be very dismissive and disdainful. Towards lilsimsie and her very justified complaints and towards simmers in general, who pay for what they deliver and may expect something in return.

I believe that was said. They made a point of saying “Oh we included toilets this time” in a reference to the fact they forgot in Del Sol Valley. Let’s give them a pat on the back!

How on Earth they made sims 3 worlds which had 50-80 lots, I have no idea.

But then again, they can afford to be arrogant about their mistakes. They have a community that will accept it and make excuses.
    “It’s done on purpose” (the stairs to nowhere)
    “It’s to encourage us to be better builders” (mismatched roofs and all round ugly building designs)
    “Just download something else off the gallery” (When EA just use the same builds over and over in different worlds)

• Options
    DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited September 2019
    what happened to the sims?? EA, the most greedy corporation of them all whom favors shareholders and quantity far over quality or their customers! that's what happened. enough said

uhuh, and have you forgotten how extremely many bugs TS 3 had? how many times it crashed and lagged even on the best gaming PC's?
    they just oversimplified TS 4 to end this huge backlash TS 3 got over it's p!ss poor performance as fast, easy and cheap as possible.

i could write whole pages about the extreme customer-unfriendly attitude of EA and how they destroyed entire franchises just for the sake of huge profit but that's a bit off-topic i guess? safe to say tho: EA ruined the Sims just like they destroyed many other once great games just because of their insatiable greed.

and for those who believe EA cares about their products: name one EA game that isn't full of bugs... one por two bugs ok, but for a simple game like TS 4 to have so freaking many flaws and bugs?? it's like they don't even test the final product and just launch at full price without regards to product quality (truth: that's EXACTLY what they do!) . basically we are paying full price for an unfinished BETA game and we just have to suck it up and let modders deal with the bugs so they won't have to >.< saves them money since they don't even pay the modders foir their work.

just for extra measure: the Sims isn't the only game suffering from EA's poor management catered towards investors and CEO's instead of their paying customers.

sure i saw people blame Maxis but i will keep pointing my arrows at the ones pulling the strings, and the winners are EA's corporate executives whom only care about lining their own pockets. if people are too blind to see this and instead blame Maxis (whom also made TS 1 and 2 be4 EA took over and forced them to ignore quality so they can put out games faster for faster $$$) or even go as far to point at the players even tho they are right to demand quality for their hard-earned money...well what can i do?? the writing is overly obviously on the wall regarding the huge (deserved!) negative publicity EA is receiving atm.

ohh if only EA would just sod of and let Maxis do their thing once again on their own terms...that would solve all problems./… not that it will happen as long as the series rakes in profit but a guy can Always dream...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    what happened to the sims?? EA, the most greedy corporation of them all whom favors shareholders and quantity far over quality or their customers! that's what happened. enough said

uhuh, and have you forgotten how extremely many bugs TS 3 had? how many times it crashed and lagged even on the best gaming PC's?
    they just oversimplified TS 4 to end this huge backlash TS 3 got over it's p!ss poor performance as fast, easy and cheap as possible.

i could write whole pages about the extreme customer-unfriendly attitude of EA and how they destroyed entire franchises just for the sake of huge profit but that's a bit off-topic i guess? safe to say tho: EA ruined the Sims just like they destroyed many other once great games just because of their insatiable greed.

and for those who believe EA cares about their products: name one EA game that isn't full of bugs... one por two bugs ok, but for a simple game like TS 4 to have so freaking many flaws and bugs?? it's like they don't even test the final product and just launch at full price without regards to product quality (truth: that's EXACTLY what they do!) . basically we are paying full price for an unfinished BETA game and we just have to suck it up and let modders deal with the bugs so they won't have to >.< saves them money since they don't even pay the modders foir their work.

just for extra measure: the Sims isn't the only game suffering from EA's poor management catered towards investors and CEO's instead of their paying customers.

sure i saw people blame Maxis but i will keep pointing my arrows at the ones pulling the strings, and the winners are EA's corporate executives whom only care about lining their own pockets. if people are too blind to see this and instead blame Maxis (whom also made TS 1 and 2 be4 EA took over and forced them to ignore quality so they can put out games faster for faster $$$) or even go as far to point at the players even tho they are right to demand quality for their hard-earned money...well what can i do?? the writing is overly obviously on the wall regarding the huge (deserved!) negative publicity EA is receiving atm.

ohh if only EA would just sod of and let Maxis do their thing once again on their own terms...that would solve all problems./… not that it will happen as long as the series rakes in profit but a guy can Always dream...
    @MidnightAura and me, we’re still playing Sims 3 and we’ve forgotten nothing. Sims 3’s bugs have nothing to do with world size, Sims 4 is riddled with bugs as well. The game hardly ever crashes for us and it doesn’t lag. There is freezing sometimes, but that comes down to bad routing (you can actually improve it because of that, make adjustments to certain worlds after which they run fine, even IP). Lag has just one reason: too much CC. As long as you don’t stuff your game, there is no lag (I’ve never ever had lag in Sims 3).

If it’s true they created Sims 4 this limited and poor because of people complaining about Sims 3’s performance, that would be an absolute joke and nothing less than a sad shame. Because then they did it for the wrong reasons. They messed up Sims 3 worlds themselves - sloppy routing - and they listened to people who were bragging about their thousands of downloaded CC items. Then complaining about their game crashing.

I’ve played Sims 3 on 3 computers, starting in 2009, I still play Sims 3. I hardly ever have crashes (even with mods and CC now), I never had Error whatsitsnumber, I never had lag and my game runs as smoothly as Sims 4 for me. With all packs installed + Store stuff + mods and CC. On top of that the experience is way more fluent because I don’t get any loading screens. This is how it is, on a good PC (granted) but nothing spectacular.
    5JZ57S6.png