Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Vampires be able to work magic?

This is an important question to me, since I honestly can't fathom why Vampires, Mermaids, or Aliens wouldn't be able to learn magic any more than I can fathom why you can't make occult hybrids..

Honestly I've been intending to write up an entirely new story based around my vampires since hearing that magic would be the next big things awhile back

Being able to progress through learning magic in skill trees regardless of the character would make for some really awesome characters.. imagine how OP your sims would get, it would make for a lot of epic struggles

Comments

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited September 2019
    From what I've read, it seems most if not all RoM gameplay is dependent on your sim being a spellcaster, which sadly vampires and other occults are unable to become. I wasn't surprised or necessarily against magic being a life state, but I was hoping alchemy at least would be a skill my vampire could learn, but apparently not. This makes no sense to me either, at least not from a storytelling perspective since vampires and 'spellcasters' are often the same thing in folklore. I had lots of story ideas too, which I have now had to rethink. It's a big disappointment to me and I hope it will change at some point to give us more options, but it seems unlikely.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited September 2019
    It's been confirmed that magic will be designed for one lifestyle only. However, it has also been confirmed that Spellcasters won't have a second form, but will have a skill tree, so the hybrid glitch shouldn't be as buggy with Spellcasters and mermaids/aliens, but probably vampires since a sim can't have more than one occult skill tree.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    It's honestly disappointing to me if Realm of Magic offers nothing for existing occults, I've always just kind of thought that it's odd how if your sim is one thing they can't be anything else unless you use cheats

Especially since you see in the trailer Newt (I'm calling him Newt, that hair) gets empowered from being an average sim to a magic sim

It should just add another icon to the bar, anyone should be able to get the life state if they want it
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I’m also disappointed that vampires can’t be spell casters since most of my main sims are vampires. What makes it even worse is that the vampire cure potion doesn’t work properly (cured vampires will retain many of their vampire weaknesses such as not being able to eat human food which, seeing as they can’t drink plasma after being cured, doesn’t leave them many options!) so I can’t just cure one of my vampires and have them be a spellcaster.
    My main character for occult play is also vampire, and I just created a new villain for her in the form of this absurdly evil decrepit ancient vampire that I was going to have learn magic, since really that's all that could possibly give her a challenge with how overpowered she is.

The biggest flaw with occult sims in my view has always been that for all the special things they get they are also limited to just those things, wherever a new occult comes it it seems to just ignore that previous occults exist which kills creativity if you want to make a family with different sim types

I'm not saying everything has to be compatible, even if its just things like powers that would be fine. Like a vampire or alien sim with a mermaid parent that can change the weather and use siren songs, or with an elemental parent that can call lava bombs and make plants grow better

In this case it's just illogical to forget about every other occult that's already in the game when they should all be able to go get involved in the new pack just like everyone else

It's /discrimination/
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Yeah, I was really hoping to make a Sea Witch with this GP. When I first learned that wasn't going to be possible I was really disappointed.

I don't mod much, but if there's a mod workaround I might grab it.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • akasevenakaseven Posts: 279 Member
    It's been confirmed that magic will be designed for one lifestyle only. However, it has also been confirmed that Spellcasters won't have a second form, but will have a skill tree, so the hybrid glitch shouldn't be as buggy with Spellcasters and mermaids/aliens, but probably vampires since a sim can't have more than one occult skill tree.

My hope was that they would officially bring hybrids in this package or patch in case. But it will not happen, but right as we are fighters fierce always find some way to circumvent the game. I would particularly love something official but if I need to make a vamp-spellcaster hybrid I will at least try to activate vampirism, buy some tree perks and then remove via debug and then turn it into a wizard. In theory this works, my Sim is no longer a vampire and she still has some modllets (also she's hybrid of alien-mermaid), but some actions that need vampire magic maybe if we're lucky, the magic bar that exists for the spellcaster might have the same programming as vampires, making it easier things.
  • AvianatorAvianator Posts: 188 Member
    So a vampire can't become a spellcaster. But what if a spellcaster gets bitten by a vampire?
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    why is a vampire cannot learn alchemy?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    So yeah, there is flat out confirmation that as per the norm there will be no crossing occults, no magic vampires

So.. I'm finding my desire for the pack greatly lessened, I suppose we'll see what sorts of other things they add as far as decorations and clothing since there were a lot of cool things in the trailer

I seriously just don't understand how it's /that/ difficult for them to add things in in a way that doesn't conflict so that they can give people options other than "well, I want to use magic so I guess I'll have to give up vampirism, and my fangs and pointy ears and powers, yay. Fun."

I'm admittedly a bit irritated at this, which is unusual for me >.> its literally like they just pretend that already existing occult sims don't exist when they add new ones, it just doesn't make sense to me from the standpoint that they take what could be a really awesome thing for /everyone/ and then implement it so poorly.
    Avianator wrote: »
    So a vampire can't become a spellcaster. But what if a spellcaster gets bitten by a vampire?
    Presumably vampires won’t have the option to turn spellcasters, just like they can’t turn aliens and mermaids.
    But fun fact I learned yesterday.. drinking plasma from an infected strangerville sim will infect a vampire... it was creepy.

But no, no magical cross-occult bloodlines for anyone but spellcasters, you'll either have to use cheats on console and hope for the best or wait for mods on pc.

I think this is legitimately the first time I've been salty over something in the sims (besides temporary lightning powers and temporary lifestates)
  • Kain_DrakanKain_Drakan Posts: 16 Member
    Aaaw good grief! I should have searched this BEFORE buying the game pack. Had I known I can't make my favorite vampire a spellcaster, I wouldn't bought the game pack. This is utterly stupid, to say the least. Why couldn't an alien learn magic? It would really make up for their poor variety of powers (compared to Sims 3) that aliens have. Instead of a life state, this should have been made a skill that every sim can learn, I mean in every other game I've played that includes magic, it is LEARNED not born with.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    It does seems a shame. An Ursula-esq wicked sea witch would have been fun, especially as mermaids don't really do anything much.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    What makes this especially bad is, when we were debating on the forums before over whether magic should be a skill/trait with a skill tree (like Fame) or should be a lifestate, all the people who voted lifestate did so because they were SUPER into the idea of magic toddlers and kids and felt like a skill would likely lock toddlers and kids out.

Except, OOPS. Too bad! Your toddlers and kids STILL aren't magic! This pack completely neglects them! So what's the point of making it a mutually exclusive lifestate, then?
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2019
    Funny thing, I think spellcaster is far more powerful than vampire by action , and spellcaster can kill sims so easy if they doing again zip or fire on sims again, but I hadn't test that, but vampire is more passions powerful than spellcaster, vampire don't had to worry about age while spellcaster could not die by age but still age and you need to keep drinking to stay young even thought not die by age but on otherhand, spellcaster could kill vampire easy, I think. In all, spellcaster is more powerful than vampire but only by action, not passions.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    What makes this especially bad is, when we were debating on the forums before over whether magic should be a skill/trait with a skill tree (like Fame) or should be a lifestate, all the people who voted lifestate did so because they were SUPER into the idea of magic toddlers and kids and felt like a skill would likely lock toddlers and kids out.

Except, OOPS. Too bad! Your toddlers and kids STILL aren't magic! This pack completely neglects them! So what's the point of making it a mutually exclusive lifestate, then?

Actually, most of the people on that thread who voted for a lifestate did so because they wanted magic to be genetic and/or for it not to be obtained by everyone.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • CatDevPeteCatDevPete Posts: 4 New Member
    In regards to the magic-mermaid posts, if you the console command to add the mermaid trait onto a magic sim (or try for baby with the respective life states), the hybrid does work (even replacing the hydration bar in the needs tab). It does have a number of bugs, as expected.

The worst one is that the tail doesn't go away when the sim's back on land (or out of the bathtub), so you need to remove everytime it via "traits.remove_trait trait_OccultMermaid_MermaidForm" to avoid removing the mermaid trait altogether (could be something a mod can fix, I guess).

The others I'm aware of is that there is no 2nd form to edit in CAS (unlike alien-vampire hybrids), trying to edit the mermaid form's outfit in CAS once they've transformed won't apply the change, and the mermaid form's outfit gets randomised everytime you apply any change when going into CAS mode.

Tail aside, though, it's been pretty manageable so far. At least you don't lose access to mermaid abilities (by the benefit of mermaids being lackluster >.>), as opposed to vampire-magic hybrids who lose access to the vampire skill tree.
  • chiastallonchiastallon Posts: 5 New Member
    You can turn your vampire into a spellcaster. 1ST make 3 save copies for the sim your going to use just in case anything happens you never know better to be safe than sorry and also make a copy of your saves folder to your desk top...My sim is a vampire i got Zebrus mod sorcerer he updated it for the new patch Sept 5 and he says vampires can become a sorcerer which they do with no problem now they have all vampire and sorcerer powers....if you have the UI mod which i recommend on getting fantastic cheats and does,'t hurt your game, it will be easier to complete i up my sim to a full master sorcerer with both dark and light magic. You hold the shift key down and right click on your sim a menu pops up and click more choices then click spells, everything is there click each one and max it out once you do that make sure you lock the decays then you never have to worry about losing any powers. 1st DO NOT ADD THE BLOODLINE- it is broken maxis knows about this and is suppose to fix it, also do not purchase any talent perks ( not yet later you can do that)it brakes the talent perks menu and keeps on resetting the spellcasters rank. Carls sims 4 guide.com has all the cheats you can use i always check with him because he is accurate. You will have a Vampire/Sorcerer click on your sim and and you will see the menu for spells it will show you everything you have, now add the spellcasters trait and the slinger of spells trait click on your sims keep going and you will see the magic menu come up plus you will have the talent point menu and magic book in your needs bar.Hold shift key right click your sim when the menu comes up got to more choices till you see the magic menu click on that and max out what you want now you will have a full Vampire with all powers a full Sorcerer with full powers and a Spellcaster with full powers. On the spellcasters rank be carefull the cheats can brake the talent points menu at this point you don't have to worry about that they can do it very fast by themselves. I saved my game a lot after ranking them up just in case always checking the talent point menu to make sure it's OK. I don't worry about the ranking up because now my vampire is a master of magic with full magic powers that is what i wanted not the rank but the powers so now i have a full blooded Vampire full powers plus a sorcerer full power and a master and a spellcaster master of all spells and potions...I have played for 21/2 days straight from early morning to about 2 am the next morning ( I love my sims what can i say) i have no problems but my sim is so powerful and at time cases chaos, even the powerful spellcaster that are in the game the teachers are no match for him....PLEASE READ THIS--You can go to the teachers after befriending them and challenge them to duel the option gives you choices to duel when you do that or practice magic or read the tombs books you sim will get talent point which you can use to buy the talent perks. What i did is just one time i used the cheat to increase spellcaster rank with the number of 3000 as per Carl that gave me the perks to buy the talents USE ONLY ONCE and you'll be ok the rest i challenged the teachers and other spellcasters that were there on the lot once you have all your talent perks you are unstoppable no one to be recon with.....Hope this helps you and once maxis fixes the problem with the talent perks menu and the ranking up and the bloodline those can be added or hopefully Mods come out for this and it will make it a lot easier for all......
  • OfSylvanGladeOfSylvanGlade Posts: 86 Member
    I’m also disappointed that vampires can’t be spell casters since most of my main sims are vampires. What makes it even worse is that the vampire cure potion doesn’t work properly (cured vampires will retain many of their vampire weaknesses such as not being able to eat human food which, seeing as they can’t drink plasma after being cured, doesn’t leave them many options!) so I can’t just cure one of my vampires and have them be a spellcaster.

Has this STILL not been fixed yet? 🐸🐸🐸🐸. There are so many things like this in the game that just fly under the radar to the devs but are really annoying to have to deal with.
    Sapphisims wrote: »

Has this STILL not been fixed yet? plum. There are so many things like this in the game that just fly under the radar to the devs but are really annoying to have to deal with.
    @Sapphisims actually it just got fixed in the last patch! At long long last!
  • lampuiholampuiho Posts: 4 New Member
    > @MaggieMarley said:
    > (Quote)
    > @Sapphisims actually it just got fixed in the last patch! At long long last!

Yea, but it doesn't matter. The aspiration is bugged if you use even a cured vampire.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Limitations and trade offs is what Sims 4 is all about not much sand box in this game they stick you in a corner and tell you what you can do.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Limitations and trade offs is what Sims 4 is all about not much sand box in this game they stick you in a corner and tell you what you can do.

Still of the opinion that that needs to change, honestly I don't get limiting your own game when you could come up with ways to fix it
  • DpheindDpheind Posts: 3 New Member
    So i was just playing around with A family i made in realm of magic and the answer to that question is....yes? I have three vampire mage hybrids. from what i can gather there seem to be some conditions for it to happen though.