Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vampires or Casters?

Comments

• Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Casters Put The Magic in Magical
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Spellcasters don't loose their powers if someone throws a drink in their face.

This made my night! :lol:
  • Options
    TX12001TX12001 Posts: 46 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > Oh, yeah.
    >
    > Spellcasters don't loose their powers if someone throws a drink in their face.
    >
    > A specific drink that isn't cheap to get the ingredients for or to make, but learning Vampire Lore can be started while they're kids, and teens can learn gardening and Mixology - and they only need Mixology 1.
    >
    > (I'm only keeping this up in fun - because text is lousy at conveying playful teasing.)

To do that you actually have to defeat the Vampire in a fight which is easier said then done if they have all 3 ranks of Vampiric Strength and 10 Fitness skill, also it is at least better then losing your powers by having a stick twirled at you.

However this gives me an idea, should Vampires who are "Born" or created not beable to be cured? how is it that you can you cure a Vampire who was born a Vampire? would Vampire not be their base species? they were never Human to begin with, also several interactions like Recall Mortal life simply should not exist for those who were never mortal.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    TX12001 wrote: »
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > Oh, yeah.
    >
    > Spellcasters don't loose their powers if someone throws a drink in their face.
    >
    > A specific drink that isn't cheap to get the ingredients for or to make, but learning Vampire Lore can be started while they're kids, and teens can learn gardening and Mixology - and they only need Mixology 1.
    >
    > (I'm only keeping this up in fun - because text is lousy at conveying playful teasing.)

To do that you actually have to defeat the Vampire in a fight which is easier said then done if they have all 3 ranks of Vampiric Strength and 10 Fitness skill, also it is at least better then losing your powers by having a stick twirled at you.

However this gives me an idea, should Vampires who are "Born" or created not beable to be cured? how is it that you can you cure a Vampire who was born a Vampire? would Vampire not be their base species? they were never Human to begin with, also several interactions like Recall Mortal life simply should not exist for those who were never mortal.

Wig. Snatched.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    I preferred the witches in the sims 3 but not in the sims 4. Vampires are more effective in sims life. I'm a bit sad that the resurrection is set as a potion, not as a spell casting. It would be much more effective if I see my witch or wizard sim is resurrecting sim in front of tombstones by spell casting. Also Floralorial works only for one plant. Currently I have about 20 plants in home garden, I just let my sims use 'tend garden' and it was much easier to manage them. Transportalate and using brooms are also limited. They don't do that while holding something on their hands. For examples, if they are holding a baby, then they wouldn't use broom or transportalate. But for vampires, they have lots of good and useful perks in sims life. Also they can carry the babies everywhere by fast running, as a mist, and as a bat form. So I voted for Vampires.
  • Options
    AirakaleAirakale Posts: 97 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    TX12001 wrote: »
    Vampires are a significantly more powerful lifestate, I have compared a Fully-Perked Virtuoso Spellcaster with every Spell Learned to a Fully-Perked and Optimized Grandmaster Vampire and here is what I have discovered.

- A fully-perked/optimized Vampire is immune to up to 11 Death Types which include Drowning, Starvation, Freezing, Overheating, Pufferfish, Steam and Old Age, even emotional Death's if they take the perk which grants them Deadened Emotions, they can become immune to Sunlight MEANWHILE a Fully-Perked Spellcaster is immune to only 1 Death Type which is Old Age, when Seasons are installed it becomes quite obvious how vulnerable their lifestate is compared to that a of a Vampire given they will Freeze and Overheat as easily as any normal Sim, they can "Cheat Death" with the Potion of Prompt Resurrection however it only lasts for 2 days, from what I can tell the Spellcaster has the inferior form of Immortality, the Potion of Immortality only stops them from dying of old-age, it does not actually give them eternal youth, you need the Potion of Rejuvenation for that and from what I hear it only resets your current age so if you do not want to age up you need to keep taking it.

- A fully-perked/optimized Vampire only has 2 needs which are Thirst and Vampire Energy, the former can be ignored with the Tamed Thirst perk as lack of thirst will not kill them, Vampire Energy is just their magic meter and is nothing like regular Energy, a Vampire with no Vampire Energy will not pass-out, they will just act all sluggish but they can restore it very quickly by performing Dark Meditation MEANWHILE a Spellcaster still retains their regular Human needs, they still need to Bathe, they still need to use the toilet, they still need to socialize or have Fun.

- Power-Wise their power-sets are very Similar, both have a few powers the other can not do but ultimately what is more useful? Move as a Bat or Fly on a Broom? from what my experience has told me the Witch will always go outside before using the Broom where as the Vampire will become a Bat wherever, this means their method of traveling is much quicker, the animation may also be shorter which means Bat Form is superior to Flying on a Broom, as for Mistform and the Spellcaster's Teleportation, spell they are mostly equal, it has also come to my attention the Vampire power-set has the capability of actually killing other-sims as their ability to bend emotions exceeds that of what the Spell-caster has available, remember the Grandmaster ability that gives all surrounding Sims an 8+ emotional debuff? other powers like Morphiate may be fun to use but ultimately they have no real purpose, making a Sim soil their pants however...

Vampires are immune to emotion death by default... Basically if you give vamps the naturalist trait then they are unstoppable:D
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    scoed wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I understand what you mean with it takes longer to make vamps powerful... but for me gameplay is playing all aspects of the game and I don't plan on limiting my witches to just being all powerful witches and done.

In fairness, it is possible to simply have your sim research vampires on the computer to level them up in about 36 sim hours as well, so it is more how you play it. While not doing that will take a very long time for a vampire to level, playing your spellcaster without dueling for knowledge or just having them practice magic and going to make yourself a sandwich will produce similar results as far as the time to mastery.

But you can't complete all the aspirations in that time as well, you can with casters. I have went from a non-caster to a supermax caster with everything, both aspirations, all spells learned, all potions learned, and all perks earned in just under 60 sim hours, taking care of every need along the way and maxing relationships with all the sages. No bloodline trait, no cheats. Sad thing is I know faster min/maxing is possible as I spent some time gathering ingredients and exploring the worlds as it was my first play through and mistakes were made. I will be honest though my sim was a "super starter sim" meaning I raised her up well as a kid and did all the childhood aspirations, earned the parenthood traits, earned top notch toddler, and the scouting aptitude trait as well. This may have contributed to faster XP gain or maybe not. Testing is needed to see if any of that mattered.

60 sims hours is 60 real life minutes. There is no way. You can only ask for a new spell and potion once a day, the stores do not change stock until the next day either.

Anyone saying they’ve maxed their spell caster in an *hour* is flat out lying imo. I’ve played this pack thoroughly since release and my current sim *still* doesn’t have all the tombs or ingredients as they haven’t shown up in the store yet.

—T
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    Vampires, because It's possible to have son and father to be around the same age, or close to same age, just like in my profile picture.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    To7m wrote: »
    I understand what you mean with it takes longer to make vamps powerful... but for me gameplay is playing all aspects of the game and I don't plan on limiting my witches to just being all powerful witches and done.

In fairness, it is possible to simply have your sim research vampires on the computer to level them up in about 36 sim hours as well, so it is more how you play it. While not doing that will take a very long time for a vampire to level, playing your spellcaster without dueling for knowledge or just having them practice magic and going to make yourself a sandwich will produce similar results as far as the time to mastery.

But you can't complete all the aspirations in that time as well, you can with casters. I have went from a non-caster to a supermax caster with everything, both aspirations, all spells learned, all potions learned, and all perks earned in just under 60 sim hours, taking care of every need along the way and maxing relationships with all the sages. No bloodline trait, no cheats. Sad thing is I know faster min/maxing is possible as I spent some time gathering ingredients and exploring the worlds as it was my first play through and mistakes were made. I will be honest though my sim was a "super starter sim" meaning I raised her up well as a kid and did all the childhood aspirations, earned the parenthood traits, earned top notch toddler, and the scouting aptitude trait as well. This may have contributed to faster XP gain or maybe not. Testing is needed to see if any of that mattered.

60 sims hours is 60 real life minutes. There is no way. You can only ask for a new spell and potion once a day, the stores do not change stock until the next day either.

Anyone saying they’ve maxed their spell caster in an *hour* is flat out lying imo. I’ve played this pack thoroughly since release and my current sim *still* doesn’t have all the tombs or ingredients as they haven’t shown up in the store yet.

—T

Just an fyi. You can learn all the spells except the Ultimate ones by simply clicking your own sim and choosing to practice magic. You can learn all potions by choosing 'experiment' on the cauldron. The sages are only required for the ultimate spell and there's no time taken to build a relationship as you can just use forced friendship on them. I'm curious now and will try asap leveling with my next witch but I bet it takes very little time if I actually try.

Incidentally maxing a vampire is super easy too, though not the aspirations. My teens usually go for a mall feeding spree and level in a night.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

—T

Just an fyi. You can learn all the spells except the Ultimate ones by simply clicking your own sim and choosing to practice magic. You can learn all potions by choosing 'experiment' on the cauldron. The sages are only required for the ultimate spell and there's no time taken to build a relationship as you can just use forced friendship on them. I'm curious now and will try asap leveling with my next witch but I bet it takes very little time if I actually try.

Incidentally maxing a vampire is super easy too, though not the aspirations. My teens usually go for a mall feeding spree and level in a night.
    CelSims wrote: »

—T

Yes but even then you can only learn the spells available to your current rank, AND they’re random. There is no way, even if you cheat friendships can you do it in an hour. You’d have to cheat every single spell and potion and perk to do that.

—T
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Vampires Always Vin

—T

Yeah, I have to question the honesty of these claims as well. I just don't see how max advancement is even possible in such a short amount of time without cheats. In fact, I don't see how it's possible even with cheats. One hour? Nah. The time it takes for a Sim to "practice" anything is kind of long and not guaranteed to be successful, spells go wrong, potions backfire, the shops need to refresh, Sage teachings need to refresh, ingredients need to be foraged or found or successfully dueled, dueling is never a guaranteed win, Spellcasters get overcharged, and searching for tomes takes forever, plus time to study them, plus actually finding the right ones for your spell level... I just can't see it happening.

Although I would like to see how they did it if someone wanted to throw a video up on Youtube of a turbo advancement without using any cheats. That would still be interesting to watch.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

—T

Yeah, I have to question the honesty of these claims as well. I just don't see how max advancement is even possible in such a short amount of time without cheats. In fact, I don't see how it's possible even with cheats. One hour? Nah. The time it takes for a Sim to "practice" anything is kind of long and not guaranteed to be successful, spells go wrong, potions backfire, the shops need to refresh, Sage teachings need to refresh, ingredients need to be foraged or found or successfully dueled, dueling is never a guaranteed win, Spellcasters get overcharged, and searching for tomes takes forever, plus time to study them, plus actually finding the right ones for your spell level... I just can't see it happening.

Although I would like to see how they did it if someone wanted to throw a video up on Youtube of a turbo advancement without using any cheats. That would still be interesting to watch.

Totally agree with you two. Every time I see this claimed I feel I must be exceptionally bad at this game and I just don't think that's true xD it took me a good 20 RL hours to have one sim learn all of the practical magic spells and all of the potions. Okay I'm sure it can be done faster than that but everything in one hour? It just doesn't seem very realistic to me unless you use some extremely cheaty gameplay, in which case I'm not the least bit surprised that it was boring.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Spellcasters. No question about it. :p
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Vampires Always Vin

Well, I mean, in the time it takes you to cast Scrubadoo I could have my sink clean, and with a perk that only cost 500 points. Of course, that sink wouldn't be dirty in the first place because vampires are no longer governed by meat.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2019
    ROFL I wish the LOL button was still a thing cause you are cracking me up, @OEII1001
    Love your snarky vampire smack talk. lol
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

—T

Totally agree with you two. Every time I see this claimed I feel I must be exceptionally bad at this game and I just don't think that's true xD it took me a good 20 RL hours to have one sim learn all of the practical magic spells and all of the potions. Okay I'm sure it can be done faster than that but everything in one hour? It just doesn't seem very realistic to me unless you use some extremely cheaty gameplay, in which case I'm not the least bit surprised that it was boring.

On top of that, they claim they’ve done EVERYTHING in an hour or two. Which means not only maxed rank and learned every spell, but utilized every spell and magical action.

Which. Look. I have to put blocks to purposefully slow myself down with this game. I am that simmer who by the end of gen 1 in my legacy had them in a mansion with 20 traits earned and with untold money to the extent I just replace anything that breaks, not even blinking, with aspirations achieved (or in one sims’ case, several aspirations achieved) and trying to figure out how to make the rest of the legacy a bit tougher.

But even I am like, wow that’s fake when people say that. All I can think is they grinded everything out on high speed because ok, yeah, maybe it took 2 hours of real time to do that if you did literally nothing else and had some good luck without too many curses or failures. And then once they got all the spells in a single branch (because I just... can’t see ALL the potions and ALL the spell branches done in an hour), they just... didn’t do anything with it? Because there is so much to test out with a lot of these spells!

I mean if there is a speed runner who did everything, literally, in an hour or two I would like to see and slow clap that. But that strikes me as an exception and definitely not the rule.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

Well, I mean, in the time it takes you to cast Scrubadoo I could have my sink clean, and with a perk that only cost 500 points. Of course, that sink wouldn't be dirty in the first place because vampires are no longer governed by meat.

Well, the question was which do you prefer? Didn't say it had to be logical. :)
  • Options

But we've got wands, you hear me? Wands! So there! :lol:
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I prefer Casters as they don't sneak in to harm other sims.

In fact, I bought Magic and realm but not Vampires.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

—T

On top of that, they claim they’ve done EVERYTHING in an hour or two. Which means not only maxed rank and learned every spell, but utilized every spell and magical action.

Which. Look. I have to put blocks to purposefully slow myself down with this game. I am that simmer who by the end of gen 1 in my legacy had them in a mansion with 20 traits earned and with untold money to the extent I just replace anything that breaks, not even blinking, with aspirations achieved (or in one sims’ case, several aspirations achieved) and trying to figure out how to make the rest of the legacy a bit tougher.

But even I am like, wow that’s fake when people say that. All I can think is they grinded everything out on high speed because ok, yeah, maybe it took 2 hours of real time to do that if you did literally nothing else and had some good luck without too many curses or failures. And then once they got all the spells in a single branch (because I just... can’t see ALL the potions and ALL the spell branches done in an hour), they just... didn’t do anything with it? Because there is so much to test out with a lot of these spells!

I mean if there is a speed runner who did everything, literally, in an hour or two I would like to see and slow clap that. But that strikes me as an exception and definitely not the rule.

Yes, thank you!

Although I feel you might've just opened up a new sims challenge: do and max out everything in RoM in exactly 75 minutes :joy: (I'd go with two hours, but no, they say 1 hour, we're giving them 15 minutes extra ^^)
  • Options
    Vampires Always Vin
    Stutum wrote: »

Dying due to waiving a stick around too much would have to be a truly humiliating way to go.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Cleaning up my witches home as a minion in a frilly apron then serving dinner would be even more humiliating. Maybe make them hop to it faster with an inferniate now and then. Chop, chop little vampy we're having a dinner party tonight! Gonna invite someone over you hate and have you two make out! Bwahaha!
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Stutum wrote: »

Dying due to waiving a stick around too much would have to be a truly humiliating way to go.

It's better than going up in flames in front of the Rattlesnake Bar in broad daylight (yes, that happened one time, believe it or not. xD )
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Vampires Always Vin
    Cleaning up my witches home as a minion in a frilly apron then serving dinner would be even more humiliating. Maybe make them hop to it faster with an inferniate now and then. Chop, chop little vampy we're having a dinner party tonight! Gonna invite someone over you hate and have you two make out! Bwahaha!

It's a ploy, Sparkles. We wait for your friends to come over to compare wand sizes and then cast Burst of Anger. You meat sacks never anticipate the long game.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Ahh we'll just get one of our friends to call us from the grave and bring us back pretty as ever. Live to burn you up another day and all that. Clipping those frail veiny black wings is just a fun little hobby.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I have to wonder... once you've mastered the deaden emotions perk ... can that really be considered (un)living? I mean, what's the point in living forever if you don't enjoy life. And no, staying at "fine" isn't enjoying anything. From a purely power gamer pov get it, but for storytelling... it's, well, lacking passion. Viva la Vie Boheme!

That and something like a third of the aspirations have at least one requirement that requires doing something while feeling a specific emotion. Hope you finished any of those your vampire might like to do before progressing that far...